Chapter 1

Pearls

 

Heechul strolled along the path through his village. He was dirty and he was tired but this was his only free time so he wanted to enjoy it. In his village, people like him were worked to the bone because their family was poor. He headed to the private beach, not realizing it was so because he couldn't read.

The sand was like heaven for his sore feet and he smiled a bit as he felt it. He sat in the shallow surf and hugged his knees, hoping that he could enjoy this a while without being caught. If time served him right he'd have an hour.

He didn't remember falling asleep until he was waking up from it, the feeling of cold hands on his fever warmed cheeks. He blinked into the pearly blue eyes of a cute faced boy and realized he was on a rock and the boy’s body disappeared into the water.

The boy placed a kiss to his warm cheek and Heechul felt the fever drain from his face. The boy sunk into the water and a musical noise was heard before he motioned Heechul to come into the water.

Once Heechul did so, he was pulled so his ear would be inside the water. "I can't speak on land... You're a sweet person so I took away your fever. My name is Ryeowook and I'll be here any time you need me."

As soon as the words ended, Ryeowook hissed and shoved Heechul out of the water, swimming away as the cops came to retrieve Heechul.

 

 

He glanced back in time to see a scaly tale splash in the water, the surface rippling as the cop in front of him scolded him for being on private property and guided him away. He didn't listen much to what the person was saying, too focused on the boy he had encountered. As he was ushered home, the person he was staying with, Leeteuk, sighed as he waved a farewell to the cop and turned to face Heechul.

"You're getting into trouble again? How many times have I asked you to behave by now?" Leeteuk asked, ruffling the other's hair. Although he was supposed to be reprimanding the younger, he couldn't help but feel bad for him. He had come to like the kid after taking him in a few years ago. If it wasn't for him, he didn't know where Heechul would have wound up. Just being able to keep the boy off the streets was good enough for him.

"Mianhae, Leeteuk. I won't do it again," Heechul murmured, going to the room he shared with the elder. They were poor, yes, but they got by. Heechul sat down on his lumpy bed, folding his arms under his head as he stared at the night sky through the hole in the ceiling. "That boy was really cute..."

 

The next morning, Heechul was out in their field working again with Eeteuk keeping a close eye on him. He passed out once from lack of hydration but was back on his feet in thirty minutes.

"Teukie?"

"Hm?"

"I met someone yesterday..... I like him... bu--" He was cut off as Eeteuk yanked him to the side away from anyone's earshot. "You know that's forbidden." Eeteuk hissed and Heechul gave a sad smile. "You didn't let me finish. I was sleeping before I think I saw him so he may not even be real... but Hyung he was beautiful." He said and Eeteuk slapped his jaw but not too harshly. "Do not speak of this around anyone else." Eeteuk growled, going back to work.

Heechul spent the rest of the day moping and doing his work rather slowly. He didn't get to eat until he was done and that was well after dark. He devoured a roll and some rice before getting up to go on his daily walk, promising Eeteuk to be back soon.

He made his way back to the beach to bathe if anything. He knew by now that everyone was supposed to be inside so the chances of authorities were slim.

 

 

Heechul watched the moon as it hung low in the night sky. He waded in shallow waters before diving into the vast unknown. He wasn't much of a swimmer, but he knew how to move in order to not drown. It was fun for him to swim, relaxing even despite him having to use his worn out muscles. He was out far enough that his feet didn't touch the sand beneath him, where the water would swallow him whole if he hadn’t been kicking his legs. It was there, that he saw him again. The boy from yesterday.

Ryeowook swam over to him, smiling before pulling him completely underwater. Heechul was startled at first and thrashed to get away, to get up and get some air, but he felt calmed by those eyes that seemingly pierced through him and straight into his soul.

"You came here again? Didn't you get into trouble yesterday for being here?" Ryeowook asked before he giggled and shook his head. "It doesn't matter. Let's go play!" He took Heechul's hand firmly in his and swam farther down, Heechul starting to panic as the moonlight faded, unable to penetrate the water so far down.

 

Ryeowook came close to Heechul's face and breathed on it, it feeling cold to Heechul. He was startled to find he could breathe. "It's temporary." Ryeowook said as if he could read his mind.

"I won't hurt you. Now let's play." He said, giggling once again. Heechul felt his clothes come off and blushed but to Ryeowook it was natural, seeing people , although he was curious about Heechul's lower half.

"You're dirty." Ryeowook said cutely, scrubbing Heechul's head and cleaning his nails for him. "I envy you humans. You get so many more privileges there." He whispered, draping a pearl necklace around Heechul's neck. "For your family." He said, handing him an orange jewel. "For you alone." He added.

Heechul smiled and started to protest but lack of oxygen came crashing in on him. Ryeowook wrapped his arms around him and swam for the surface quickly.

Once there, he brought Heechul to where he could touch and smiled, not speaking.

 

 

Heechul gasped, inhaling as much oxygen as he could. He looked at Ryeowook, his eyelashes sparkling with droplets of water. He reached out, cupping the younger's face as he smiled softly. He took one of Ryeowook's hands in his free hand, linking their fingers. "I keep thinking that you're just a dream and that if I let go of your hand, you'll fade away into nothing and I'll never see you again."

Ryeowook shook his head, pulling Heechul slightly under the water in order to speak. "I'm not a dream nor am I a figment of your imagination. I'm a mermaid and I won't disappear if you let go of my hand. I promise." He pecked the elder on the lips before smiling. "You have to go home now. Meet me here again tomorrow?"

Heechul nodded and broke through the surface, inhaling the chilly air. He looked all around him, Ryeowook having gone too deep for him to follow. "I'll come back tomorrow to see you, Ryeowook." He smiled as he returned to the shore where he found his clothes. He looked at them oddly before pulling them on. As he returned home, Leeteuk gawked at him before ripping the pearl necklace from around his slender neck.

"Where did you get this?" Leeteuk asked, staring at it as if it were an answer to silent prayers.

Heechul shrugged. "I found it lying around. Why?"

"Do you realize how much money we can get from selling this?! We'll be able to move into a better house. Not much better considering we'll have to buy food, clothes, and other things, but we can afford to live better than we are now! Heechul, you're a lifesaver, you really are!" Leeteuk pulled the younger into a tight embrace, twirling around in a circle as if they had just won the lottery.

Heechul smiled, thinking of them living better from that day onward. His thoughts drifted back to Ryeowook and swimming with him in private waters. He knew he shouldn't go back, but he had promised the younger he would. And if it was one thing Heechul did well, it was keeping his promises.

 

The next few days were hectic for Heechul with he and Eeteuk moving and to his dismay it was across town. He kept the jewel he had hidden in his pillow and hoped that Ryeowook would forgive him for being late.

Three days late. He and Eeteuk were sitting down to eat, for once, a full meal. Heechul ate everything except the fish for good reason and gave it to Eeteuk.

"I have to go Teukie. I'll be back by morning but I really need to do something." He said before grabbing his coat and taking off down the street.

It only took him about fifteen minutes on foot and he bolted into the beach area, gasping, his lungs burning from the cold air.

He looked around from the shore and shivered, his breath showing as the night cooled off. "Ryeowook!" He called, receiving no response. He sighed and had just turned around when he heard a splash. "Ryeowook?!" He asked, hopeful, as he turned around. He smiled brightly when he saw those beautiful blue eyes.

From afar, Eeteuk watched Heechul, having followed him discretely, eye wide as he saw the boy emerge from the water.

He decided it was best not to interfere though. He sighed, looking at the few pearls he had left. "I hope to God he isn't discovered." He breathed.

 

 

Despite the chilly night, Heechul started for the water. He swore under his breath at the nearly freezing temperature of the water, gritting his teeth as he swam out to meet Ryeowook. "I'm sorry for being so late. We moved across town and things were hectic for a while."

Ryeowook nodded, motioning for him to dive underwater with him. After they were below the surface, he spoke. "I understand. I wish I could leave these waters, but not only is it impossible for me to be on land, there's netting all around the property far out into the water. A few smaller creatures can get through, but the owner didn't want larger species like sharks and dolphins to get in."

Heechul frowned, pointing to the surface before swimming up. When Ryeowook joined him, he spoke, his teeth chattering. "What if I help you get past the netting?"

Ryeowook shook his head, pulling Heechul underwater. "Then you and I couldn't see each other. I don't mind living alone like this so long as I get to see you."

Heechul smiled, the two of them surfacing as a light in a window, the owner throwing open the pane of glass and spotting them in his water.

"Yah, get off of my property!" he shouted, leaving the window.

Heechul panicked, looking at Ryeowook. "I have to go. Dive under before you get caught and I'll make him think that you're running with me." He gave the younger a swift kiss, turning to make his way back to shore as the owner burst through the back door onto the patio. Heechul stilled in the water, arms and legs moving only to keep him afloat.

"Get out of my water and stand over there until the cops come!" When Heechul made no move to get out, the owner grumbled at him and got into his boat, deciding to go after Heechul himself.

 

Heechul panicked, looking for a way to escape. He spotted Eeteuk running towards them but he was too far away. Right as the boat got to him, Heechul was yanked under and given a swift kiss, allowing him to breathe easily.

Ryeowook's eyes were red and his tail was different and he swam for the surface, launching out of the water and tackling the man out of the boat with a piercing shriek. He dove for the bottom, releasing the man after he was disoriented. Heechul by now had made it to shore, slightly scared for both people's lives, and ran for it with Eeteuk.

The man surfaced and climbed back into his boat, deciding to just go back home and hope whatever attacked him was gone.

Ryeowook hissed under his breath at the man's retreating form. The only reason he didn't kill him was that he didn't want to be seen as evil.

He headed to an underwater cave and surfaced there, dragging himself onto land and resting there. He kept his lower half touching the water so that he'd be alright to sleep.

 

 

By the time he awoke, he was gasping for water. He rolled over, eyes widening at the low waves. He had been too worried about seeing Heechul again that he had forgotten about low tide. He crawled his way to the water, falling into it and soaking it up like some sort of sponge. He swam out of his cave, finding that the moon was setting, the early morning sun painting the sky different hues of pink and yellow, casting a fairytale glow over everything. He swam around under the water, heading for the surface and peering at the shore, wishing he could go on it and get rid of the owner of the property.

 

Heechul was up before Leeteuk, trying to silently creep out of the house when the elder called him to the kitchen for breakfast just as he was two steps away from the door. Cursing under his breath, he made his way rather loudly to the kitchen, taking a vacant seat and pouring himself a glass of water. He stared at the liquid, thinking of Ryeowook and how he had looked the previous night. Red eyes leaving a sinister memory of the younger in his mind. He shook his head, telling himself that it was a play of the moonlight that had made Ryeowook's eyes red, not that he was evil.

 

Breakfast was awkward to say the least and Eeteuk finally broke the silence. "I saw him. Is that where you got the pearls?" Eeteuk said, tone accusing. "He gave them to me. Don't you start lecturing me either. We would have been fine if not for that grouch." Heechul retorted. "He attacked that man!" Eeteuk shouted and Heechul winced. "Then report him... but if you do, they'll be killing me too." He said and with that, he took off to see Ryeowook, even in broad daylight.

 

 

He reached the property, sighing in relief as the man didn't appear to be home. He went around the back of the house, smiling when he saw something moving in the water. He tore off his shirt and made a run for the ocean, diving in and swimming over to where Ryeowook was. He gave the younger a deep kiss, holding his upper arms to keep him from slinking away.

"Ryeowook, I'm glad you're out so early in the day!" he said merrily, kissing the younger again.

He pulled Heechul under the water, going deeper than necessary for him to speak. "I'm happy to see you, but it's dangerous for you to be here. If he comes back and finds you, he'll hurt you."

Heechul shook his head, swimming to the surface. As he broke through, he heard an engine, looking over to see the owner on his boat again. He went to dive under, but was pulled into the boat by his hair. "Let go of me!" he shouted, thrashing against the man and trying to get back in the water.

From the watery depths of the sea, Ryeowook watched as Heechul was pulled from the water. With glowing red eyes, he darted toward the surface, the water spraying in every direction as he nearly flew toward the man. He let out an earsplitting shriek as he tackled the man into the water. Heechul looked over the edge of the boat, watching as Ryeowook and the man wrestled underwater. Just when he thought that Ryeowook would win, he noticed something gleaming in the man's hand. A knife.

"Ryeowook!" he screamed, diving into the water. He swam to where the two fought, grabbing the man's arm before he could swing the knife at Ryeowook. One look from him and the younger was swimming off. Heechul felt hands snake around his throat, choking the air from his lungs. His vision was blackening as he felt himself swallowing water. He tried to fight against it, but it only sapped his strength as he struggled to get free. The last thing he thought of was leaving behind Leeteuk and Ryeowook as he finally fell victim to the darkness.

When Eeteuk arrived on the scene, hours later, cops were there trying to capture Ryeowook but he was too far out, holding Heechul's body close while he waited for him to wake up. He hissed when Eeteuk called for Heechul but he did go closer, eying the people with nets. Eeteuk turned to them and sighed. "Look, I've seen this thing before, he doesn't mean any harm so when he brings my boy back, let him go." He said and one man pointed to the owner of the property, neck ripped open and claw marks all over his front.
Eeteuk flinched. "This thing is not human, it acted on self-defense. Trust me, I've seen that man attack my boy for visiting that creature but it was unwarranted. This beach is private yes, but the ocean is not." Eeteuk pointed out and the men had to agree with him.
By now, Ryeowook was in shallow waters, his tail visible and Eeteuk gasped as he saw Heechul's legs. They were scaly and slick but it was not complete yet. Ryeowook's tears continued to drop down onto his face and the people on the beach watched as the transformation continued. "Park Eeteuk... In exchange for reviving him, he must stay in the water however your family will never have to work again. I will make sure of that." Ryeowook said, holding water to his lips and holding Heechul close as he came to. He attempted to speak but Ryeowook stopped him, shaking his head. Eeteuk took Heechul's hand and smiled sadly. "He wants you to say goodbye." He spoke and Heechul looked down, gasping.
He looked back at Eeteuk and hugged the elder, trying to convey that he was scared but grateful at the same time.
Ryeowook took Heechul into his arms and smiled, pulling him backwards into the deeper water and soon under it.
"How did you do this?" Heecul asked and Ryeowook kissed him. "I cried for you. I revived you... and now we can be together." He said, tail lightly brushing the elder's, the only mark of the event being a small slit in his tail fin.