Chapter One

A Chance, for Eternity

Chapter One:                               The Present

 

 

 

 

 

   “Two more months” she muttered as she the hair of her son gingerly. Watching him sleep peacefully gave her some sort of strength and comfort. He is her only angel, the reason why she finds the will to wake up and stand every day. He is her world, and no world would be perfect without her son.

   “Sooyeon?” She felt a pair of arms wrapped her waist, slowly pulling her closer. Jessica didn’t answer, not even bothering to take a glance.  “He’s an angel” He whispered to her, she nodded her head, still staring at her sleeping angel.

   “Indeed he is” she pulled his arms off her slowly, inching herself closer to the sleeping figure to give him a peck on the forehead. The little being moved a little, turned to face the other side of the room, but completely in a deep slumber.

    Jessica chuckles, the little movements of her son always makes her happy, even the cringing of his nose, or the way he sneeze, the way he complains, the way he wakes, and everything her son does, it was just perfect for her.

   She carefully stands from her position, making sure her sudden movement will not cause him to wake up. She directed her attention at the other existence in the room. “Kris?”

   At the mention of his name, his eyes had left the sleeping figure it was staring at and diverted his gaze at her. He had never felt so complete and happy before, he had never felt being lost in someone’s eyes. He had never felt so captivated by a maiden’s beauty.

   Truth to be told, he had seen a lot of beautiful woman, he had been into different countries, but the moment he saw her, he knew, he had known love for the first time.

   Slowly, sweet smile was formed in the contours of his cheeks, gazing intently at her, pulling her closer to him. He wrapped his arms around her petite waist, she wrapped her arms around his neck, barely able to connect both hands because she’s too short for him, and right there, he began swaying their bodies, following a certain rhythm without the accompaniment of music.

   “Someone’s being sweet” she chuckles as they both continue to sway left and right; and right and left. Nonetheless, she didn’t halt their momentary intimate moment.

   “Why, don’t you like it?” He asked jovially, leaning his head against the top of hers, puller her closer. She buried her face onto his chest, answering without the help of words, and the smile on his face grew wider. “I love you Sooyeon” his whisper was quiet yet with the tinge of sincerity and longing.

   “I know, Kris.” The smile on her face faded for a while, although her answer wasn’t the one he wants to hear, it didn’t stop him from kissing her flawless forehead, creating an inch gap between the two of them.

   Jessica closed her eyes, she knew what was coming. She expected him to give her a chaste kiss in the lips, but in the end, his lips had only touched her forehead and nothing more. He pulled her into another hug, swaying back and forth once again.

   “I wish we can stay like this forever. You, me, and Luhan” He tried to sound casual, but Jessica knew him all too well, she knew that behind that neutral intonation, there was a tinge of sadness and sorrow. And knowing he had to put on a façade for her, it breaks her heart. She wishes she could just say, she feels the same way too, but she can’t bring herself to put an act, because in the end, she will not hurt herself alone, but him as well.

   “Kris, I---“

   He pulled her closer, as if wanting his chest to swallow her frail figure. He shushed her, not wanting to hear more, he doesn’t want to force her, for he knows, their time will come, now, all he wants to do is to spend his every day with her and with Luhan. Having the two of them by his side, he can be contented.

   She could careless how his hold on her is quite suffocating her; she doesn’t want to pull away, for she thinks it’s the only comfort she can give to him. He had been the one who had supported her, comforted her, and loved her when she felt like giving up, when she felt like the world was against her every decision, when she felt like she was alone.

   His presence in her life made her realize what she can do on her own, of the things she could accomplish on her own, and one of those things was to be a good mother. She wishes for him to stay and never go, aside from her son, he was the other person she treasures the most. She can be contented knowing the two valuable men in her life were by her side and were completely safe.

   Kris had finally released her, intertwining his hand to hers. He led her outside Luhan’s room, opening the door wide enough for her to slip in. She stopped mid-way, glancing back at her sleeping angel, and with a smile on her face, she followed Kris outside, with hands still clasping.

   They entered Jessica’s room; Kris had turned the lights on and sat at the edge of her bed. He tapped the empty space beside him and she followed suit.

   They were silent, but it was not the awkward type. Kris couldn’t turn his gaze away from her fragile physique, her long and silky brunette hair which she always keeps being tied in a bun or in a braided shape, her milky-white skin that glows even in the dark, her petite structure, her pink lips, and most importantly her mesmerizing eyes. He couldn’t help but admire the perfection of her figure, like she was a perfectly sculpted structure which was brought into life.

   Jessica on the other hand, was absolutely aware of the intent gaze that Kris was giving her, it didn’t felt uncomfortable, she did not felt unease, not one bit. It was as though it was part of their norms, and everything else is part of the ordinary. But on her part, she couldn’t gaze at him the way he does at her; she can never looked into his eyes with the same intensity. He loves her, and she loves him, but their feelings lies completely in two different fields. He loves her to be his other half, whilst she loves her as a friend and as a father figure to her son. She couldn’t bring herself to stare at him for her gaze would surely hurt him.

   “Luhan’s birthday is in two months” she muttered, trying to divert his attention away from her. He blinked his eyes, trying to act nonchalant, but he was confused for a moment.

   “That’s still a couple of months away Sooyeon” his voice trailed off, figuring out the reason of her sudden sentence. For a moment, his eyes had shown his overflowing pain, but shrug it immediately for he doesn’t want her to be guilty.

   But Jessica saw everything, and again, he had misunderstood her intentions. She does not want his gaze to turn away from her because it’s uncomfortable, but rather, she wants to have a conversation with him, have him talk about his day, which he never does. “Kris, it’s not that I feel awkward, you can stare at me all day, as long as you want---“

   “Then why the sudden discussion of Luhan’s birthday?” He said, with a failed attempt to hide the bitterness in his intonation.

   “I want to do something special for Lulu’s birthday. This year he’ll be four, and he can start school next year” Jessica said calmly, placing a hand atop of his.

   Kris’ gaze softened instantly, intertwining his fingers to hers. Jessica leaned her head against his shoulder and he leaned his head against her. “I want to ask for your opinion for the preparations, after all you’re his daddy” Jessica gently squeezed his hand as she enunciated her words.

   Kris chuckled silently, squeezing her hand in return. It was true that he had become a father figure to her son, although Luhan was not his own, he still treated him as one. He never knew who was his real father, she would also avert questions regarding Luhan’s biological father, nonetheless, Luhan grew up knowing he is his father, and though his conscience eat him up from lying to be his real father, Kris couldn’t do anything, it was, after all, a request from Jessica herself.

   “Of course I will. I have had always helped you for the past three years, so why will I not this year?” He said, she nodded lightly against his shoulder. “What kind of party do you have in mind?”

   “Ask Luhan. It’s his party not mine” Jessica shrug, for the past three years, she had been preparing everything, with the help of Kris of course, but this time, she wants her son to cooperate, though indirectly.

   “What will I ask him them?”

   “I don’t know. What kind of party does he want?”

   “But why me? You’re his mother. That was supposed to be your role not mine” He asked curiously, tilting his head to have a look of her face. Her eyes were shut close as her breathings began slowing down.

   “I’m his mother but he’s more attached to you. It’s not fair; I’m the one who gave birth to him. He came from me!” She emphasized her last word as she tilted her head towards his, and that’s when she noticed he was staring at her once again. But this time she did not pull her gaze back, as a grin crept through the contours of his cheeks, chuckling at her own defiance and indignant. “Hey, that’s not funny!” she protested, playfully whacking him by the side.

   “Sometimes I wonder if you’re the mother or not” Kris said with a hint of mockery in his voice. Jessica pouted, he wrapped his arms around her frame once again, and the latter had reciprocated the intimacy. “That’s what I mean. You whine more than your son whines, he’s more matured than you”

   “Hey, I’m matured too!” She protested, making the two of them share a moment of laughter.

   After a few minutes, the two of them have decided to lay and allow sleep to overcome them. Kris had pulled Jessica close to her, placing her head on his chest, allowing her to listen to the beatings of his heart. Jessica gladly accepted the offer and wrapped her hands around his waist, as his were wrapping her neck. The sound of his heartbeat was serene, as if it was beating to sing her a soft lullaby that with lull her to sleep.

   “Sooyeon-ah, don’t ever leave me alone okay” He said, stifled as he kiss the top of her head.

   Feeling the warmth that’s coming from his body that is the exact opposite of the extremely freezing temperature outside the confines of their home, Jessica nuzzled her face on the crook of his neck before her muffled answer…

   “I will never, ever

 

 

****

 

 

   Stretching his arms in the air, he limply leaned his back at his enormous leather chair as he took an exasperated glance at the piles of folders on the desk in front of him. He turned his rotating chair a three hundred degrees rotation to have a look at the city of Seoul. It was night time, and the city shines with all the different hues of lights surrounding the place that was swallowed by darkness.

   Donghae finds the scenery refreshing and relaxing, his mind was stressed by the things need to be done at work and some issues at home. Constantly thinking about her just adds up to the piles that he wishes to forget, even for a short period of time.

   “Oppa, your coffee” a soft voice had distracted his train of thoughts. Donghae whipped his head to greet the other person; he wasn’t annoyed at her, for she was the very person that had saved him from his solitary.

   “Yoona, I didn’t know you’re still here. I thought everyone else had gone home” He said, standing from his spot as the latter placed the cup of hot coffee in a vacant space on his already loaded desk.

   “I just went to give you the coffee, I’m sure you’ll be staying here the longest. I’m heading out too” She answered honestly. The lines on her forehead show that the overwork he’s doing had been giving her constant worries. “Please oppa, do not force yourself to the limit.” She worriedly said, tapping his shoulder.

   He gave her a brisk nod and an assuring yet tired smile. He was completely touched at the way she shows concern towards him, it’s the very thing he seeks the most. With a slight bow, Yoona bid her farewell and left the room.

   Donghae gave the coffee a glance before diverting his attention back at the scenery, the entire city was covered with fluffy white snow, making the entire city looks as though it was a fluffy white cotton candy with sparkling Christmas’ lights.

   He sighed exasperatedly, picking up the cup on the desk. The warmth of the drink had instantly fills his body, relaxing every vein inside his body, making his mind clear.

   It had almost been four years since he last saw her face, yet her features were very vivid on his mind, like it was only yesterday when he had last saw her. Through those years she was gone, he had never felt so alone, so solitary, like he was the only existence in the world. He felt outrageous, he felt betrayed, and he even came to the point when his love for her had turned into hate, but that was a momentary ambiguity, for he can never to bring himself to hate her, ever.

   The warmth of her touch, the tingles her kisses give, her sweet scent that makes him intoxicated, her smiles that can brighten up his grim mood in a second, and her sweet but sincere words that never fails to melt his heart, he misses it all, he misses everything about her, most especially, he misses her.

   He could lie and be a hypocrite in front of anybody else, telling them how nonchalant he is about her whereabouts, how he had long forgotten her, how he had erased her from his life, how she doesn’t matter to him at all, he can simply put on a façade. But in the end, no matter how many lies and hypocritical answers he gives to people, he couldn’t lie to himself. He could never tell himself that he had let her go, for the truth is, he never had.

   His mind tell him to move on and start anew, for she was the one who had left without prior notice, he presumed that her actions were enough reason as to why he should give up on her, but his heart contradicts the mind, for it tells him to cling onto hope, for in life there are countless of chances and choices, and if he still wants her, he must cling onto the hope of having another chance.

   Donghae felt his head throbbed with pain as his visions had momentarily become blurring. He leaned against the edge of his desk, certain piles of papers were forced to lay flat at the tiled floor, scattering all the papers indented on them.

   Too much work, he allowed himself to sat back on his enormous presidential chair, leaning his head against the head rest, he had his eyes shut closed. “Jung Jessica” he muttered under his breath, massaging his temples as random memories of them both flashed on his mind.

   Unknowingly, a tear found its way out of his closed eyes. “I, miss you… so much

 

 

****

 

 

   “How’s he?” He asked the moment his wife had entered their home. She sighed; it was not new hearing her husband asking about the condition of her boss than of her own.

   “Can’t you at least greet me with a proper greeting? I’m tired Kyuhyun, at least welcome me with a peck or a hug” she said without hiding her annoyance. He had been like that, and sometimes she wonders why she had agreed to marry him in the first place. Yes, he can be sweet but most of the times, she felt like she was a messenger—going to work to monitor her boss’ every move, and going home to report to her husband.

   “I’m sorry Yoona, but I’m just extremely worried about him. You know, he’s always sulky during winter. I didn’t mean to make you feel that way I just—“Kyuhyun tried to calm his wife, warily approaching her with a soft and affectionate gaze.

  “—Kyu, I’m tired being a reporter. Donghae-oppa isn’t a child anymore, he has to learn how to cope up with things and adjust, and I’m sure he knows that himself” Yoona loosened up as she felt his arms wrapped around her waist, pulling her closer.

    “Yes I know that. But you know hyung, he can be strong on the exterior but fragile in the interior. He likes putting on a façade, he’s not a strong person, just a good pretended” Kyuhyun kissed his wife’s forehead. It hadn’t been a while since they got married, and everybody was shocked to hear such announcement.

   They have had only dated for a year and a half before Kyuhyun had decided to propose. Yoona had her uncertainties as she first month of their married life had passed. They had not completely understand each other back then, and after getting married, that’s the only time she saw his flaws that she had never seen before, and the same goes for him.

   But he is a gentleman, he can be insensitive and completely immature at times but he’s decisive, witty, and most of all, he’s a faithful man who sees no one except his beautiful wife.

   Yoona was about to give her husband a kiss which could lead to bed if only someone hasn’t interrupted. “Hey, Kyu is Yoona there?” rapid footsteps could be heard upstairs and Yoona growl aggravated.

   “I—“ Taecyeon stopped mid-way when he saw the heated intimacy between the two newlywed. Kyuhyun gave him a glare and so did Yoona, but he wasn’t the type to be affected by such glare, he just shrug and walk towards them nonchalant.

   “I have arrived, thank you” she said curtly, grabbing her bag that lay flat on the couch beside her.

   “Anything new about her?” He asked casually, pulling out one of the dining chairs and sat on it.

   “If it’s not about oppa’s condition, it’s about unnie’s. I’m not a reporter okay? I did not apply in that company to be your private spy” Yoona had become agitated once again, for the two men had utterly ignored her lethargy.

   “But—“

   “No, there’s nothing new. Happy?”

   “I’m only asking” Taecyeon shrugged his shoulder innocently, looking at her figure slowly climbing up the stair with her husband tailing behind.

   “And Taec” Yoona called, abruptly stopping mid-way

   “Yes?”

   “When are you planning to leave? I don’t want to be rude but—“

   “I know, you want a night of intimacy.” Taecyeon grinned with the ‘I-know’ look in his eyes, making Yoona beetroot red on her spot. Kyuhyun couldn’t hide his embarrassment as well. Yoona was about to defend herself when Taecyeon stopped her “You guys can do it tonight. I’ll be out, and I’ll be back in a few days. I can guarantee you guys, you can do it for at least two consecutive nights” and with a wink, he dashed out of the house, leaving a baffled couple watching him as he was out of sight.

   Yoona was about to ask Kyuhyun where he is about to head when she saw the smirk on his face “Please be ready babe” and with a seductive voice, Kyuhyun bit his lower lip as he carried her to their room—bridal style.

 

 

   He hopped on his motorcycle, ready to tour around the city of Seoul, he doesn’t care whether it was freezing out there, and for all he knows is that he had to clear his mind. Lately, he found himself being uncontrollable, he wants to shut his mind off her but the more he forced himself to, the more he let her in.

   Taecyeon had been looking for her for the past three years, even making Yoona her ally (though indirectly and without her knowing). He had taken her acceptance at the company a good sign, for Donghae has a lot of connection with different people and if he’s ever looking for her, he can get information through her.

   Though he doubt he’ll ever gain anything from her stay there. It was clear to everyone that he had no intentions of looking for her; he had forgotten her, that’s what he claims. But he can lie to others, but he can never lie to him. Taecyeon is sure that Donghae’s just putting on a smoke-screen so no one will be remorseful towards him. He cares too much for his pride, and because of that, he had the determination to find her and when he does…

   He will never let Donghae lay a finger on her again, ever. And with that, he was more determined to find her, he will find her, he had got to find her first. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

[A/N] Hey guys so here's chapter one. The title made the timeframe obvious, this is happening in the present, but the following chapters will soon bring you guys back to the past, for their past holds the answers to the questions you guys have (if you have ^.^) also don't be confused Sooyeon/Jessica is the same person, you'll also know why Kris had called her Sooyeon and why Donghae and the rest have called her Jessica (if you think you know the answer, yehey to you~). Also the chapter one had introduced the characters (Yoona and Kyuhyun had their cameos) Yoona will be a minor cast but will play an essential role, so you must have to watch out for it. I personally liked Kris and Jessica's moment, it was sweet~ and in this chapter, it shows what kind of life they are having now, separately and how the solitary moments have affected them so much. I really love Kris in here. His personality was well showcased in that short time, Donghae's too, as you can see he's a hypocritical type but he cannot lie to himself, for me Taecyeon's character wasn't showed much, so you have to look forward to his personality. All of them have their good and bad side, so we will all love them all. Anyways, enjoy =)

PS: Yes, the baby boy is Luhan (from EXO-M) I just love to see him in the story as a bubbly little innocent kid who cares nothing about the world.