Chapter Six

What is Love.

"APPA APPA! ARE YOU OKAY?" You shook your dad violently, but he made no movement. You checked his heart rate and it was barely beating. You could hear him wheezing violently.

 

"What do I do?!" You panicked. You quickly picked up the phone and dialed 119. "

 

Please!! Can I get an ambulance? My dad is dying!! Please!" You begged.

 

"Do you have 2 million won?" The woman on the line said without even caring a bit.

 

"Aish!" You slammed the phone down and pulled your hair out in panic.

 

I guess I have no choice, but to carry him to the hospital. 

 

You gathered the majority of your energy to get your dad on your back. He was pretty light for a man his age, but you were still too weak to carry him.

 

Come on! For dad you have to do this! You encouraged yourself.

 

You quickly ran to the hospital. You were in pajamas and mismatched shoes, but that was the least of your worries. People on the street looked at you with pity, but none of them actually had the courage to even go up and help you. 

 

Once in a while, you would stop for five seconds to catch a breath. You have never sweated this much before. You felt like you were about to faint any minute. You were slowly losing your sight, but you still managed to carry on. 

Come on. Only a few more steps and your there. For appa.. just do it for appa..  You reassured yourself again.

 

It took a good ten minutes of running and stopping until the nearest hospital was in sight. You gained a sudden burst of energy and and ran into the entrance of the emergency room, demanding a doctor.

 

"Please! Help my dad! Please I beg you!" You used the remaining of your energy to yell.

 

The woman at the counter was a bit shocked by your reaction but she quickly snapped out of her faze and called for a doctor. After a few minutes, which seemed like hours to you, the doctor and a couple of medical assistants came with a stretcher and they assisted to gently lay your dad onto the stretcher.

 

The moment you saw your dad being pushed in the emergency room, you collapsed by the door.

 

Oh god.. please let him be okay.. please..

 

There weren't many people passing back and forth by where you fainted.

 


 

In the meantime , Baekhyun just finished visiting a certain someone's sick sister. He left the bouquet of pink roses on Kai's sister's bed and softly pecked her cheek before heading to the exit of the hospital. "I'll see you later , Sumin ." On his way, he saw you laying on the ground. He ran to the body, not knowning who it was.

 

"Yah!"

 

He shook you. Your hair was covering your sweaty face, so he couldn't recognize who you were. He pushed your hair out of the way to see if you were still breathing. He fell back when he saw who you were.

 

What is she doing here by herself? And what happened? He thought to himself. 

 

Looking around, he suddenly felt awkward with the stares people were giving him. Some even shook their head, and tsked at the boy who was just standing there when a girl was lying on the ground crying like that. Without a choice, he tried to pick you up by the arms but you slapped his hands away.

 

"Please, just let me down and leave me alone. I'm fine. I just need to rest. I need to be with my father." You restlessly cried.

 

You still didn't know it was Baekhyun that was helping because you were too tired to open your eyes. Your 'savior', stubborn as ever, didn't listen to you and dragged you out to a chair, while you were crying and trying to find something to hold on. You didn't want to be separated from your dad. He led you to a chair and asked if you'll be okay here alone.

 

You just made a sobbing groaning noise and waved your arms, telling him to go away. Baekhyun frowned a bit. He'd never thought that he would see you in this type of condition. Memories of that time he went to your house flooded back into his mind. He remembered the old man coughing and walking back into the room. But most of all, he remembered that smile.

 

Was that her appa?

 

"I don't need your help, just go away!" You half screamed to him, your throat already sore from all the crying.

 

He didn't know what to do. You seemed so distressed and he wanted to help, but as always, his pride got in the way. And Yoomi.. he already had a girl, why should he care for another one? After a couple of minutes, he just walked away without saying anything. You didn't notice, you were still sobbing into your arms.

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

The emergency sign shut off, signaling the operation was finished. Quickly, you rushed to the doctor and asked if you dad was okay. He gave you a sigh and that kind of look adults would use when talking to children, although you were already 17.

 

"You know what disease he has right?"

 

You nodded, anxious to know the answer. You took in a deep breath. "Well, I'm sorry to say, but he doesn't have much time left." You felt your knees begining to shake. "H-how much l-longer?" You managed to ask. "With this condition, I would say about one more month. I'm sorry." The doctor walked away, as if he didn't care. He did this everyday anyways.

 

You collapsed to the ground and cried your eyes out.

 

"No!!! This can't be!! Appa! You have to survive! You can't leave me here alone. What will I do without you? Who will love me or take care of me?! Appa!!" You cried loudly.

 

For the rest of the night, you crawled up against the door outside your father's, pulling your knees into your chest and rocking back and forth. You didn't know what to do anymore. Your father had been the last person you had in this world. Without him, you were.. nothing..

 

"Why do I even exist in this world anymore.." You quietly whispered to yourself. Little did you know, Baekhyun was watching you the entire time.

 

It was half past midnight until you decided that you needed to get something for your dad to eat. You refused to let him eat the hospital food. It wasn't as healthy. After drying your tears, you set out for a nearby ramen shop. As you exited the hallway, Baekhyun looked away and turned around. He had been watching over you the entire time, to make sure you were okay. He his heels and headed home himself.

 

At least I can sleep without any worries now.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

While walking on the street, the only thing you can think of was the remaining time your dad had.

 

 The weather matched with your feelings right now. It was pouring, but you didn't care if you were soaked. It was the least of your worries at this moment.

 

What can I do to make his life meaningful before he leaves me? I can't believe he's going to leave me too. Why does everyone I love end up leaving me? Am I that hateful? Do I really deserve that much bad luck?

 

Your eyes started tearing up again and your body shook violently as tears wracked your body. You were shivering due to the rain. You weren't even paying attention to the streets or cars around you. Suddenly, you heard a car honking. You looked up and noticed that you were walking in the open streets with cars coming toward you. You didn't know what to do, but just stood there, not having any intention to move.

 

I might as well end my life here too.

 

You felt a hard impack crash into your body you fell hard onto the ground. You thought that the car had hit you, but it turned out that a boy had pushed you out of the way. You looked up, worried that he had got hit instead. Luckily, he pushed both of you out of the car's way. The driver honked and swore before turning around.

 

You quickly ran over to the boy to see if he was hurt.

 

"Are you hurt? Are you okay?" You asked. You were shaking from fear. You were afraid that you had caused this boy's death as well.

 

Kai looked up at you and suddenly, his eyes changed. He noticed that it was you who he saved. 

 

The girl from that shop..

 

His face quickly turned into a scowl. "Be careful next time if you don't want to die. Don't expect me or someone to save you again next time." He growled at you. "What the hell were you thinking." He said under his breath.

 

You didn't know what to do anymore, so you just walked back to the hospital, forgetting to get your dad's food. Silently, you trudged back into the chair you had previously occupied for the last eight hours. You buried your head into your knees and just stayed there for the rest of the night. A couple minutes later, you heard familiar footsteps. You looked up, and saw only the back of the person's jacket right as he turned the corner.

 

Kai....?

 

A bit bored, and not knowing what to do, you started following him.

 

A/N: Have you guys noticed who writes which chapter ? Haha , a hint - the way we use punctuations is different , if you catch what I mean . ;) . - vitaminnie .