Chapter Five

Camp Diamond: For Troubled Teens

Chapter Five

Heebon was excited, more so than usual. Today’s group activity was horseback riding and everyone in camp knew her as one of the best at it. “If anyone needs any help with this, just come to me! I know I’m better at it than all of you,” Heebon giggled, skipping over to one of the horses as she waited for Jo Kwon to say they could start.

“There is something not right with that girl,” Jinhee said, watching Heebon closely. “It’s suspicious. Plus annoying as .”

Jihae snorted, crossing her arms. “She’s ing two faced, that’s why.” She turned to Jinhee, the other girl also turning so they faced each other. “I’ve seen her angry, so I would know.”

“We’re all two faced here though, aren’t we? So don’t think you two aren’t, either.” Dee piped in, standing a few feet away from Jinhee and Jihae.

Kimchi pouted, clinging on to Dee’s arm. “Not everyone is. Why are you always generalizing people?”

Jinhee glared at Dee, still angry at her from their encounter on the first day of camp. “That means you are, too. Stop pretending you are above us and aren’t subject to your own generalizations.”

Hyemi sighed, hearing the impending argument from where she was sitting in the grass. “Why don’t you guys get into the actual issue you are upset about instead of skirting around it like you are?” Hyemi saw Jinju perk up at her words from where she was sitting next to her. Jieun had convinced Hyemi and Jinju to try and get to know one another, thus the two girls being with each other.

Raising an eyebrow, Jihae looked to Hyemi in curiosity. “What issue?”

Jinju copied Jihae movements, also looking to Hyemi. “Yeah, what issue?”

Sighing again, Hyemi stood up and dusted off her jeans. “It’s not up to me to tell you. You need to figure out your problems for yourself,” she said, leaving the group, telling Jinju she could come if she wanted. Jinju stood up, clinging to Hyemi’s arm as they walked to find Mir and Changmin who happened to be talking with each other.

“What the hell is she talking about?” Jihae asked. “I don’t have any problems.”

“You wouldn’t be here if you didn’t have any problems, now, would you?” Jinhee asked, scowling slightly at the fact that her statement included herself as well. “We’re all ing crazy here.”

Chuckling slightly, Dee placed her hands in her pockets. “You’ve finally got something right.”

Jinhee’s eyes narrowed even more, sneering at Dee. “Get off my back, will you?” Jinhee flipped around, irritated at everyone, and walked away. Her timing was perfect as Jo Kwon then called that their activity has begun.

Demi easily brought herself on top of the brown horse, Cherry, she had come to like from the previous years. She took the horse reigns, clicking for Cherry to start galloping, leading her around the pasture.

Heebon suddenly appeared on her left atop her own horse choice, Ash. “Wow,” she exclaimed, eyes wide. “You’re better at this than I thought you would be.”

“Yeah well, I’m pretty athletic so I like doing things like this.” Demi grinned in triumph. “You’re not so bad yourself.”

“I’m the best at horseback riding around here, don’t you know?” Heebon said, grinning back.

“I thought Lee Sungyeol was the best?” Cas suddenly jumped in, striding over with her horse, Sniper. Smile smug, Cas grabbed onto Heebon’s hand once she reached her, feeling the tenseness of Heebon’s joints.

By now Heebon’s eyes had hardened though her smile remained in place. “He’s not better than me.”

Demi started laughing softly, covering with her hand. “I don’t know about that,” she said, voice laced with trapped laughter. “Sungyeol is really good.”

“He’s not better than me!” Heebon shrieked suddenly. A second later her grin was back. “It’s a fact.”

Cas snickered, always amused at Heebon’s rivalry with Sungyeol. She glanced around the pasture in boredom, eyes landing on Jongup a fair bit away. “Jonguppie,” she sang, maneuvering Sniper over to the boy.

Jongup had looked up at the call of his name, waving shyly as Cas got closer. Himchan and Daehyun also looked up at the call of their friend’s name, proceeding to wave at Cas. Himchan then spotted Demi, calling out her name loudly. Demi rolled her eyes at his call but proceeded to follow Cas over, Heebon already on her way over from following Cas.

Daehyun glared silently at Heebon, moving his horse back away from her and closer to Himchan. Heebon’s heart began to speed up once she saw him, but glared back

Sensing the tension in the air Himchan moved close to Demi, leaning over and almost falling off his horse as he went to hug Demi. “I knew you’d come if I called! Oppa is irresistible to you, isn’t he?”

Demi laughed, once again covering in her process. “Is that what you like to think? Stop flattering yourself.” Still, Demi hugged Himchan back in greeting and let him cling to her.

Himchan pouted, but his eyes remained light in happiness. “Cas,” he said, looking over to the girl. “You think I’m irresistible right?”

Cas hummed in thought, placing her hand on her chin. She then threw her arms over Jongup, squeezing him tightly. “Jongup is the only irresistible one for me!”

“Thanks Cas,” Jongup said softly, patting her on the arm while blushing. “I appreciate the sentiment.”

Giggling, Heebon waved her hand to gain everyone’s attention. “You should all be saying that about me, too, shouldn’t you?”

Daehyun scoffed in response, everyone turning to him at the sound. He remained silent at the attention, even with Heebon frowning at him in irritation.

Himchan coughed loudly, grabbing everyone’s attention. “We’re all y here. Let’s just leave it at that.” Everyone nodded slowly, not wanting an argument to break out. Himchan leaned back into Demi then, whispering into her ear. “You’re the iest though,” he said, winking at her once he pulled away.

Demi blushed, pushing a laughing Himchan and causing him to almost fall off his horse. “You’re so greasy, it’s ridiculous.”

Cas watched the exchange, sighing dramatically and placing her hands over her heart. “Ah, how the sight of lovers feedeth those in love.” She paused, bringing her hands back down to grab onto the horse’s reigns.  “Wait that doesn’t work, I’m not in love and they aren’t lovers.” She laughed, grabbing Jongup’s hand. “What about you? Why are you still single?”

Jongup looked down at their entwined hands, blush forming once more. “No one has caught my attention yet, I suppose,” he said slowly, careful with his words.

Daehyun shook his head as he watched Jongup, seeing straight through him.

“What are you shaking your head at?” Heebon asked him, having been silently glaring at him for a while.

Daehyun didn’t answer, only adjusted the mask that covered the bottom half of his face and commanding his horse to enter a trot to leave the group.

Heebon’s mouth opened in astonishment, not used to be ignored. “Hey!” She called, moving Ash to follow him. “How dare you ignore me!” She scoffed as Daehyun continue to ignore her, turning around to head back to her friends when she saw Jo Kwon talking with Jihae.

Jo Kwon glared at Jihae, the girl crossing her arms and glaring back in defiance. “Get on the horse.”

Jihae rubbed her lips, starting to get angry. “Yeah… no.”

Dongwoo strode over, atop his own horse. “What’s going on?” He asked, looking between the two. Jihae sneered at him, but didn’t respond.

Jo Kwon turned his attention to the boy, smiling at him in greeting. “Jihae is refusing to ride the horse, despite the fact that it is not an option.”

Dongwoo turned to Jihae, confusion painting his features. “Do you know how to ride a horse?”

“Yes I do,” Jihae lied easily, eyebrow twitching nearly unnoticeably. “I just don’t want to, not that it’s any of your business.”

Dongwoo stared at Jihae silently, noticing the lie. “I can teach you.”

“Perfect!” Jo Kwon cried, clapping his hands in excitement. “Thank you, Dongwoo! Now off you two go,” he sang, skipping off himself.

Dongwoo jumped off his horse, going over to the one assigned to Jihae, Bronze, standing farther away. He held his hand out to her, smiling softly. “Come on, I’ll teach you.”

Jihae stayed where she was standing, refusing to move. “No, go away.”

Dongwoo ignored her words, going over to her. “Come on, it’s okay.” He said, lightly starting to push her towards Bronze.

The reaction was immediate, Jihae flailing and screaming once she got too close to the horse. “ing hell! You , don’t you know the meaning of ‘no,’ holy ,” she screamed, attempting to escape the hold Dongwoo suddenly had on her arms.

Dongwoo brought her back a few feet, away from the horse. He kept his hold on her, watching as Jihae breathed harshly and tried to calm herself. “Are you afraid of the horse?”

Jihae remained silent for a few minutes, waiting for her heart to calm. “I don’t like large animals,” she finally said, refusing to look Dongwoo in the eyes.

He smiled to her in reassurance, patting her on the head. “Don’t worry, that’s normal. I can help you to not be afraid of horses at least, even if it’s not all large animals.” Silence settled again at Dongwoo’s words, Jihae’s face expressionless. Soon she nodded slowly, Dongwoo grinning in response and pushing her towards the horse.

“She’s afraid of large animals?” Heebon asked herself, eyes wide in interest. “That’s so funny.”

“What funny?” Cas asked as Heebon returned to the group.

Heebon waved her hand in dismissal. “Oh nothing, just something I learned just now.”

“That’s not suspicious at all,” Himchan said, unable to remain silent.

Demi rolled her eyes at him, leading the group into a trot. “Your paranoia runs deep.” She looked around in confusion. “Where’d Daehyun go?” Everyone shrugged in response, unconcerned, while Heebon waved vaguely in the direction Daehyun went.

Jongup watched the group’s exchange, confused as he was new to them. “Have I missed something?”

“Nope, don’t worry,” Cas said, slapping Jongup on the shoulder. “It’s nothing you should be concerned about.”

❤❤❤

“There’s a sewing class going on today,” Jinju said, walking away from the horse stables at the end of their activity.

“Really,” Changmin said bluntly, not bothering to hide his disinterest.

Jinju nodded enthusiastically, skipping off in the direction of the Sewing and Cooking Hall, called SeaKing Hall for short. “Uh huh, let’s go!”

Changmin sighed in exasperation but followed his girlfriend, stride much slower than hers. “Why does it have to be sewing,” he grumbled to himself, voice going unheard by Jinju.

They reached the classroom soon enough, Jinju finding a spot and waving Changmin over who came with his feet dragging. “I like knitting better, but sewing is fun, too,” Jinju said.

The instructor came into the room then, quieting the room. “I’m glad to see so many people here,” Taeyeon said, smiling to the class. “Today we’ll be making pillows.”

“You can make one to match your blanket,” Changmin said, turning to Jinju with his chin resting on his hands.

Jinju pulled out a blanket from her purse, holding it out in front of her. “You mean Pinky?”

Changmin chuckled picking at the blanket. “Yeah, Pinky. If you’re going to be childish you might as well go all out. Then you can just fall asleep wherever you want.”

Shaking her head, Jinju placed the blanket back in her purse. “No, I only need Pinky.” Jinju stood up to head towards the cabinets, pulling out the supplies they would need. Suddenly she gasped, turning around in a flash and startling Changmin who was standing behind her. “You should get the pillow!”

Changmin raised his eyebrows, grabbing the supplies out of Jinju’s arms and heading back to the table. “What would I need with a pillow?”

“To sleep on of course,” she said, stringing up the sewing machine with thread. “And then you can carry it around like I do with Pinky to make you feel better.”

Changmin’s eyes widened, face heating up. “Wha- no!” he sputtered out. “I’m not doing that!”

Jinju ignored him, facing the sewing machine while Changmin watched, having no desire to make his own. Noise behind her caught her attention though, Jinju turning around to see three other members of the Purple Team at another table.

“Why the hell are we doing this?” Dee asked, looking at the fabric covering the table. “I have no idea what I’m doing.”

Kimchi laughed, busy setting up her machine. “One of the nurses, Bom, recommended this class to me. She said it was fun!”

“This doesn’t seem very fun,” Dee said but copied her sister’s motions and set up her machine.

Changjo hummed in thought, looking over to Kimchi’s machine and back to his own. “I think I’m doing this wrong,” he said, giving up and merely staring at the machine.

Kimchi looked over to the other’s machine, giggling and fixing it for him. “There you go!”

“Aww, thanks babe,” he said, bringing Kimchi into an embrace. Dee glared at him from across the table, Changjo merely smirking at her and letting Kimchi go. He kept one arm around her waist however, Kimchi subtly trying to move it away but failing.

“Um, hey,” the group of three looked up to the newcomer, seeing Mir with a hand rubbing the back of his neck in embarrassment. “Can I sit here? There’s no other empty spots.”

Dee sneered at him, kicking the chair next to her over. “ no,” she said, turning around and ignoring him.

“Don’t listen to her,” Kimchi called, moving to pick up the fallen chair and right it again. “Of course you can sit here.”

“Thanks!” Mir grinned widely, sitting down and attempting to set up the machine.

Dee watched him, noticing him failing miserably. “What the hell are you doing here, Cheolyong? Finally embracing your inner woman?”

“It was a dare,” Mir responded immediately, avoiding Dee’s gaze. “I need to bring the project as proof, too, so I couldn’t skip and just say I went.”

“Whatever you say,” Dee said, back to ignoring him.

❤❤❤

“Jieun, are you sure you know what you’re doing?” Hyemi said while laughing.

“Of course I do,” Jieun responded, shakily entering the canoe. “I’ve seen Mir do this before!”

Seungho walked along the dock with Thunder next to him, reaching the girls in the canoe. “Are you sure about that? You guys look a little shaky.” He smiled to them and leaned down to steady the canoe.

Hyemi nodded in thanks, looking up to the two. “We have no idea what we’re doing to be honest.”

“We can help you out,” Thunder said, smiling softly.

Jieun blushed but smiled brightly to the boys. “That would be nice, want to join us?”

Seungho nodded, entering the canoe and sitting next to Hyemi while Thunder sat next to Jieun. “We were going to go canoeing anyway,” he said gesturing to the paddles they were carrying. “Let’s go then.”

The four set out on the lake, Seungho and Thunder doing most of the work as Hyemi and Jieun really didn’t how to paddle properly. Seungho stopped his motions, laughing at Hyemi. She looked at him in confusion, not so amused. He merely grinned to her, leaning over and placing his hands over Hyemi’s on the paddle stick. “This is how you do it,” he said, showing her the proper motions.

“You’d think with how you like to go fishing you’d be able to paddle a canoe properly, Mi,” Jieun said while smiling slyly.

“I use a motorboat when fishing usually,” Hyemi said quietly, slightly overwhelmed by Seungho’s presence.

Seungho looked at Hyemi with wide eyes, smile bigger. “You like to fish?” At her nod Seungho continued. “So do I, we should go together sometime.”

Thunder laughed softly, looking to Seungho. “I thought we were going to go fishing together. Are you abandoning me for her?”

Seungho coughed in embarrassment as the other three laughed. “Just because I want to go fishing with Hyemi doesn’t mean I don’t want to go fishing with you, too, Thunder.” He turned back to Hyemi. “So how about it? Want to go fishing together sometime?”

Hyemi didn’t respond right away, mulling the question over in her head. Jieun suddenly kicked her in the shin, Hyemi looking up to her friend. Jieun wiggled her eyebrows, not very subtly twitching her head in Seungho’s direction and giving thumbs up.

Hyemi gave her friend a strange look in response, but understood what she was trying to say. She looked back to Seungho, noticing him smiling softly at her. “Okay,” she said, immediately going back to paddling.

“Watch where you’re going!” The shout caught the group’s attention, the four looking over to see Jinhee angrily waving a paddle around. “You already tried to kill me once, you trying to do it again?”

Sungjong waved his own paddle in response, voice even louder than Jinhee’s. “You’re not worth my time enough for me to try and kill you!” Sungjong leaned out of his canoe, waving his paddle and trying to smack Jinhee’s boat.

Jinhee glared menacingly, standing up and brandishing her paddle like a sword, the canoe wobbling. “You trying to fight, boy? Come at me!”

“Noona, sit down! The boat will tip,” Zelo cried, tugging at Jinhee’s shirt until she finally sat back down.

“Yeah, you better back down.” Sungjong leaned back into his own boat, smirking and straightening his clothes. His friend, Lee ‘Hoya’ Howon shook his head at Sungjong from where he was sitting across from the younger. “You’re so bad at canoeing you would definitely tip over.”

Jinhee growled at the other, about to stand up again until Zelo grabbed her arm. “I am not bad at canoeing! I bet Zelo and I can beat you in a race.”

Sungjong smirked and flicked his hair off his forehead. “Is that so? Hoya and I could beat you guys any day.” He looked around, spotting a buoy a fair bit away. “Let’s race to that buoy,” he said, pointing to the object.

“Fine,” Jinhee said, getting ready to start, Sungjong doing the same while Zelo and Hoya reluctantly did the same. “Ready, set, go!”

Off they went, Jinhee putting all of her strength into it and urging Zelo to do the same. However, Sungjong and Hoya had an obvious advantage with their muscles and ultimately won, Sungjong cheering obnoxiously. “Next time, you bastard, I’ll win!” Jinhee yelled, Sungjong ignoring her. She growled again, turning away and sulking to herself.

Zelo watched, patting his cousin on the shoulder. “It’s okay. You can beat him at something else.”

Jinhee looked up, smiling warmly at the other. “Yeah, I’ll beat him at something else.”

 


____kasper's korner

Finally! *dies*

More lovey dovey stuff! You guys like it? Cause I do, haha.

Also, I feel the need to mention something just in case. Characters who get larger or longer parts in group scenes may not have an individual scene.

Kathy