Fan #1

Inspirit

 

 

 

A stab of pain shot through the back of his eyelids as he tilted his head back. His body was burning; heat radiating from all parts of his skin. He tried to inhale calmly, but the heaving of his lungs wore him out. He exhaled a shaky, scratchy breath. Steadying himself in front of the mirror, he turned the faucet on and ran his hands through the cold water. Collecting a pool of the water in his palms, he splashed his hot face and washed away the day’s dirt and grime.

 

Washing his face hadn’t helped his skin cool; it had just turned the water from cold to warm. He rubbed his face into a towel and walked out of the bathroom, step by step, head spinning, fever threatening his remaining strength. The minute he stepped into the living room, Sungyeol dashed into the bathroom, screaming, “My turn!!”

 

Sunggyu, Myungsoo, and Dongwoo sat around a laptop on the floor. “How’re you feeling?” asked Sunggyu, looking up.

 

“I’m........ uhh……...” Croaked Woohyun. Another sting in the back of his eyelids.

 

“What? I can’t understand you, but your voice doesn’t sound too good,” said Sunggyu, getting up. Woohyun opened his mouth, and a series of choked coughs spilled out of his lungs, making him cringe.

 

“Whoaa there!!” said Sunggyu. He felt Woohyun’s forehead.  “That is burning hot! You are a sick little child today, Woohyun. Come on, let’s get you to bed early.” Sunggyu placed a hand gently on Woohyun’s back, gesturing toward the room the two shared.

 

Just then, the front door of their house clicked open, and one of Infinite’s managers, Hyoan hyung, walked in. “Hey kiddos! Some gifts from the fans!”

 

The manager distributed stacks of letters and packages of various sizes to the members in the living room, leaving the rest on the floor. Dongwoo began tearing away some of the wrappings right away, letting bits of paper fly everywhere. Woohyun was handed a bundle of envelopes, a box of what looked like chocolate, and a light-weight, silver wrapped package.

 

“Come on Woohyun, you need to get to bed,” said Sunggyu, leading Woohyun to their room.

 

Woohyun placed the letters and gifts on the floor next to his bed as Sunggyu made him lie down. Another fit of coughing ensued, followed by a sharp throbbing of his temples.

 

“Gah, you are so sick,” said Sunggyu, frowning. He pulled a thick blanket over Woohyun. “Get some rest. I won’t let you miss schedules tomorrow. Or ever.” With that, Sunggyu turned off the lights and left the room. Woohyun lay in the dim darkness, willing for the screaming pain in his head to stop, the hardness in his throat to disappear. But his body and skin radiated heat, and his muscles ached.

 

Woohyun finally fell into a fitful, distressed sleep, the throbbing in his temples never leaving him. A faint but progressive noise kept disturbing his already troubled sleep, making him toss and turn. Finally, Woohyun opened his eyes. He’d thought the noise was a dream, but as he stared at the ceiling, he heard it. ‘bskk.’ He looked over at Sunggyu, who had come in some time that night and was now breathing rhythmically in slumber. He caught the noise in his ears, again. ‘bskk.’  It was a ruffling, sort of crunching sound, like when one crumbles thin paper.

He sat up and swung his legs to the floor, despite his muscles fighting back in agony. He then boldly switched on a miniature lamp on top of his drawer, looking around the room. Everything was where it should be, including the fan gifts he had left on the ground next to his bed. Shrugging, Woohyun reached his hand to switch the lamp off, when the crumbling noise came again. ‘bskk.’ Carefully, Woohyun scanned the room. Nothing. Was Sunggyu hyung doing that in his sleep?

 

Woohyun’s eyes then drew toward the silver wrapped package on the floor. He grabbed it briskly. In his hands, the papery wrapping made a noise. ‘bskk.’ The same noise he’d been hearing.

 

Eyes widening, Woohyun commenced opening the package, not caring about whether he would wake Sunggyu. Every time he grabbed sections of the wrapping, it made the same noise he’d heard throughout the night. It took only seconds to reveal the gift he had received: a very lightly pink-colored stuffed bunny with fluffy fur, and a small heart with two wings attached to its neck. It was just slightly bigger than Woohyun’s head and very soft to the touch. As Woohyun stared at the stuffed bunny, he all of a sudden felt dumb for freaking out about the noise. He had probably been brushing it with his hands all night or something. Woohyun gathered up the tattered wrapping and deposited it in the trash bin, picking up a small piece of paper that had fallen off the bunny as well. It simply read, “From – anonymous.”

 

Woohyun placed the piece of paper and the bunny back in the spot on the floor, next to his bed. He then climbed into his sheets with a sigh. The pain in his temples, which he hadn’t noticed during his hunt for the odd noise, had returned. Attempting to ignore the throbbing, Woohyun shut his eyes and started counting sheep jumping over a fence.

 

Somewhere along the night, the sheep Woohyun had been counting had transformed into fuzzy, pink bunnies. In his mind’s image, the fluffy bunnies skipped over the sleeping form of Sunggyu. He didn’t know if he’d fallen asleep or just into some sort of trance from his sickness, but he wasn’t hearing any type of odd noise anymore, which he decided was a good thing.

 

After Woohyun had opened his stuffed bunny gift, he’d forgotten to turn out the lamp light. The room remained softly illuminated, making the insides of Woohyun’s eyelids flash in warm glows every now and then, throughout his sleep/dream/trance.

 

At some point, Woohyun was aware that he was looking at his own room, as if he were actually lying awake. But there was a girl sitting beside his bed, peering at him with large eyes. Woohyun realized that the girl was in fact very close to him, so close that he could make out her features clearly. He looked at her quizzically, up and down. She had long hair tied in two tails from the base of her neck. She sat cross-legged on the floor, in a light pink V-neck shirt, gray shorts, and bare feet. Her facial features were relatively normal, and around her neck, she wore a silver necklace with a charm. Woohyun thought that the charm seemed very familiar - a heart with two wings.

 

For however much time that elapsed, Woohyun just stared at the girl, who stared back. And then he was hit with another coughing fit which lasted a good minute, his muscles tensing and his lungs burning. When the coughing subsided, Woohyun found himself looking at the girl again. He let out a raspy breath. And then it hit him: he wasn’t sleeping.

 

He was fully awake. He was awake and functioning, perfectly conscious, and he was looking at the girl sitting in his room.

 

There was a girl in his room.

 

“AAaaaaaahhhh!!” He cried out. 

 

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________

 

A/N: Hi everyone! Thank you so so much for coming and reading my new story!

If I am guessing correctly, I feel like you would have a few questions after this first (rather short.. I promise not all chapters will be this short) chapter, including why the title of the chapter is called 'Fan #1'! But I don't have the intentions to reveal the message behind the chapter titles until the very end, so I hope you'll stick along with this story until then!

Also, please don't forget that this story is set in Infinite's old dorm~ ^^

And Infinite Fighting!!! The Chaser and Infinitize are totally Daebakk!!!