Is It Too Late?

Is It Too Late?

 

 

I look at my little clock on the nightstand. F**k, it’s already 3AM and I still haven’t slept.

 

Sighing, I lay on my stomach, trying to get that comfortable position to sleep. But my thoughts were too occupied to even rest. Occupied with thoughts and memories of her.

 

It has always been this way since a week ago. It was maddening. I can’t get her out of my head even if I try so hard. And believe me, I tried so hard to the extent that I ignore her at school.

 

But every night will be the same. Lying on my bed, thinking about her until morning came. Until my eyes get tired and close by itself to rest.

 

It’s obvious, I love her.

 

So those sleepless nights, I regret that I didn’t do something about my feelings towards her. I was a coward. I hid my feelings because my friend saw her first, love her first.

 

Would my situation be different if I saw her first, if I love her first?

 

Maybe.

 

I suddenly remember Monday this week when I hear the three special words coming out from her lips. That was the happiest and saddest moment of my life.

 

[Flashbacks]

 

We were sitting next to each other. I was near the window, looking out to the view of the green grass of the school’s football field, while she was on my right.

 

I was sleepy, I didn’t have much good sleep last night as the guys and I were hanging out playing pool and darts.

 

Suddenly, an open notebook was slid on my table. It was from Dara.

 

I thought she would tell me to wake the hell up but as I look on her handwritten note on the notebook, I realize I was wrong.

 

Tabi-yah,

Do you have practice later afternoon?

I have something important to say.

 

I recall last afternoon’s meeting with my football coach, trying to see if he mentioned that we’ll have practice today.

 

When I’m done remembering, I grabbed my pen and started scribbling on her notebook.

 

No practice later. Is something wrong?

Why do you sound so serious all of a sudden?

   

I slide it across her table. In the corner of my eye, she reads it quietly before writing her response. She slides it to my table. I noticed the expression on her face, she looked nervous. I’m her best friend so I know her like the back of my hand.

 

Nothing’s wrong.

Just meet me at the tree, okay?

 

That tree was our usual hang-out spot when we don’t feel like studying or eating at the cafeteria of our school. Somehow, I wasn’t looking forward for my last class of the day to end. I wasn’t sure if I wanted to hear what she’ll say later on.

 

I tried shaking of the uneasy feelings on my chest so I could respond on her notebook without my hands shaking.

 

Okay. I’ll meet you there. You sure everything’s fine?

 

I passed her notebook after I finished writing on it.

 

As I wait for her response, there were a lot of thoughts bugging me. And it involves one of my friends. Could it be that Jiyong already confessed to her and she’ll tell me all about it later? And then say that she feels the same way and she accepted his feelings? And she’ll announce that they’re a couple now?

 

Through my spacing out, I hear the sliding of something on my table. I blinked, she already wrote a response.

 

Hopefully… I’ll stop writing now. I don’t want Mrs. Yoon

to see what I’m writing about and ask me if I wanted to share

it to the whole class.

:)

 

I wrote her a fast response so I could finish thinking of possible things that she’ll say to me later on.

 

Okay then. I’ll meet you at the tree.

:)

 

I returned her notebook on her table. And at the corner of my eyes, I see her lips form a small smile.

 

God, I hope it doesn’t involve Jiyong.

 

 An hour passes by; I was busy with my thoughts when I noticed that Mrs. Yoon already dismissed us. I felt a tap on my shoulder.

 

As I look up, I see Dara standing in front of me, clutching the strap of her backpack. “Penny for your thoughts?” She was smirking. I rarely space out. I wasn’t the type of person that thinks too much. Clearly, she knows something’s going on my head.

 

“Nothing. I was just thinking about next week’s school game.” I said while stuffing my notebook and pen on my bag and standing up from my seat. “Let’s go?”

 

It was lunch time, and we’ll be heading to the cafeteria. She’ll meet her friends while I meet my own.

 

As we walk side by side to the cafeteria, I slightly feel the awkward aura. I don’t know if it was me or her.

 

Could she really be Jiyong’s girlfriend now?

 

“Dara! Jiyong! Over here!” Speaking of which, Jiyong calls us out, waving to us.  

 

We walk to where my friends were settled.

 

As we stand in front my friends’ table, I see Jiyong checking her out. “Hey, you look prettier today, Dara.”

 

I took a glance at her. She was blushing.

 

She still managed to speak though. “What’s that supposed to mean? That I wasn’t pretty yesterday?”

 

Jiyong grins widely. “Okay, let me fix my sentence. You look beautiful as always.”

 

If it was possible, she blushed more.

 

I was trying hard not to pounce on Jiyong. It was making me crazy seeing how my earlier thoughts could be right. That they’re already a couple.

 

And it’s reaping me apart.

 

I see her friends entering the cafeteria and I nudged Dara with my elbow. “Look, Bom and the others just came in.”

 

She looks at her friends before looking at Jiyong and me. “Oh! I’ll see you later guys!” She bids us goodbye before rushing to where her friends are.

 

I turned my attention back to my guys. I placed my bag on the table before I sat across Jiyong.

 

His gaze was still lingering on Dara. His eyes full of emotions for her.

 

Damn it.

 

How much can I hurt?

 

“Dude, you look stupid looking at her like that.” I said. I succeed not to sound so bitter, thank f**k.

 

Jiyong looks at me with a grin. “I love her.”

 

Hearing it from him felt like someone stabbed me on my chest.

 

I clenched my hands on my lap. “I thought just a week ago, you said you only like her?”

 

He shrugs, before looking at Dara again. “I don’t know, man. I just realize it could be love at first sight. Realize that a few days back.”

 

Jiyong wasn’t the type who believes in love at first sight. So it surprised me to hear that from him. “Dude! Love at first sight? Have you gone crazy?”

 

He just grins. “Maybe.”

 

 I was contemplating on what he just told me when he speaks again. “Can you tell me what she likes?”

 

I snapped my eyes at him, shooting daggers. “Why ask me? Ask her girlfriends.”

 

He rolls his eyes. “You’re her bestfriend, man. You know a lot about her.”

 

Maybe helping him will make her happy. Maybe seeing her smile will make the stabbing on my chest disappear. Even though that smile wasn’t because of me.  I sigh in resignation. “She likes tulips instead of roses, she likes cupcakes more than chocolates, she likes when a guy shows affection to her, she likes…”

 


 

My next class after lunch was History. The most boring class I had ever attended to. Most students would rather just sleep than listen to Mr. Kim speak about Korea’s history. That’s really understandable so he didn’t object when someone sleeps on his class.

 

I felt something poking me on my back.

 

I turned my head, glaring at Bom. If it isn’t obvious enough, we’re in the same History class.

 

“What?” I was beyond annoyed and I didn’t want to speak to anyone.

 

She chuckles lightly. “Chill, dude. Is it about the queen of numbness?”

 

Queen of numbness is Dara. Bom and I formed a codename for her so she and the others wouldn’t know who we were talking about. The reason of the codename was because Dara can’t feel that I was just there beside her and loving her secretly.

 

Bom was the only person I told to about my feelings for Dara since she was the only one that realized I look at Dara differently. She noticed it since the beginning.

 

“Silence… that means yes.” Bom thoughtfully said. “So… care to share?”

 

I knew she wouldn’t stop asking until I tell her what’s on my mind so even though I didn’t really want to talk, I had to. “I think Jiyong and her are a couple now.”

 

Bom smirks. “Really? As in boyfriend-girlfriend? Wow. Jiyong finally confessed, unlike someone I know.” Her gaze, teasing.

 

I shoot daggers at her before turning my head to Mr. Kim.

 

“You should’ve told her what you felt, you know.” I hear Bom’s honest advice. “In that way, you wouldn’t feel so sullen like this.”

 

“He saw her first. He loves her first. ” I all but said. He’d known and love Dara since first year. I’d known her and been best friends with her since second year. So by now, he knows and loves Dara for four years now. While I was a year less.

 

“Dara’s not a first-come-first-serve, you know.” I hear her response.

 

 I turn my head towards her. “Yes, but guys have codes. We can’t go for girls that are already been caught attention by our friend.”

 

I can’t tell her things I’ve been keeping. I can’t tell her how I love her laughter, her smile, her brown eyes, her thin but plump lips, her brunette hair, and her cute nose.

 

I can’t tell her how I adore her braveness, her love for her family, her open-mindedness, her positive attitude and her passion to make the people that she loves happy.

 

I can’t because she’s off limits.

 

Bom rolls her eyes dramatically. “You guys are so weird. It’s Dara’s choice who to choose. What if she likes you? What if she’s guessing that you don’t like her?”

 

Yeah, what if. Only a what if.

 

I exhaled loudly. “I don’t know... But I can’t do that to Jiyong. No matter how much it would hurt for me. I can’t do it to him.”

 

Why do Jiyong and I have to love the same girl?

 

God… why?

 


 

 

At the end of my classes for the day, I calmed myself, sitting on my chair while my head behind my palms.

 

I feel like bursting.

 

I shake my head. No, I need to put myself together. I’m her bestfriend. I need to support her, whatever situation she’s in. Whatever relationship, she’ll be in.

 

I sling one of the backpack straps on my shoulder before heading out of the classroom.

 

While I walk out of the building, I started chanting ‘I’m her bestfriend’ a lot of times, to give me strength and to stop me on thinking of punching the nearest wall.

 

I’m her bestfriend.

 

Just her bestfriend.

 

As I near the tree, I see her. Her back was resting on the trunk, her backpack’s handle were trapped on her tight grip. She looked much more nervous now.

 

She notices me coming so she gives me a weak wave of the hand and one small smile.

 

“So…” I swallowed thickly, preparing myself. “What’s it you want to talk about?”

 

She shifted. “Umm… How should I say this?” She scrunched her nose as she thinks deeply.

 

She looked adorable, if I may add.

 

I can’t help but grin at the adorable queen of numbness.

 

“Uh, I don’t know where to start…” I waited patiently for her to continue. “You’ve been my bestfriend for like 3 years now… You were always with me through everything that happened in my life. Sadness, laughter, tears, happiness… We shared it all…” She clutched tightly on her backpack’s handle. “It… It might be weird for you but I can’t just keep it forever, you know…” She chews on her lower lip. “I… I like you.”

 

I just stared at her, lost for words.

 

What am I supposed to say?

 

She continued rambling. “Not like as a friend. But like as ‘I want you to see me as a potential girlfriend or something’. You were just always with me and one day, I realize that I like you more than just a friend. Weird, right? Are you feeling awkward now?”

 

I slowly blinked. “You like me?”

 

“Yeah, I just told you that.” She avoided my penetrating gaze.

 

“I don’t know what to say.” It was true. I really don’t. I feel happy because she likes me more than just a friend. But I was sad, she doesn’t feel the same way towards Jiyong.

 

She shifted on her feet. “I didn’t expect for you to answer. I just really wanted to tell you what I feel.”

 

I shake my head. I’ve got to do something to push her away. She can’t like me. She’s supposed to like Jiyong Even if it hurts me. “I… I’m sorry. I can’t return your feelings. I…”

 

She released her lower lip from her teeth as she look at me straight in the eyes. Her eyes were full of emotions I never imagined it to be. She smiled, but I noticed it was forced. “Oh, I get it. It’s fine. It’s not like I love you, right? Liking you would disappear in time. Don’t worry.”

 

“Dara…” I wanted to tell her I feel the same way. I wanted to tell her how she means the world to me. But I know I can’t do that.

 

I can’t snatch Dara away from Jiyong. Even if Jiyong was in my place, he’ll choose to hide his feelings for my own good. 

 

“It’s really alright. Let’s just forget I said anything.” She started backing away, away from me. “ So… I’ll see you tomorrow?”

 

Before I could open my mouth, she turns and walks away.

 

I watch her walk away and when I was sure she was out of my sight, I slumped on the grass beneath my feet.

 

I’m sorry…

 

I love you…

 


 

 

That next day, I didn’t see her in any of our classes. I heard from Bom that she was sick. But I knew very well that she was just ignoring me.

 

I wanted to visit her house and tell her everything I wanted to say but I know she wanted to be alone.

 

I let her be. She’ll get over this ‘more- than-friends-kind-of- like’. Then, she’ll like Jiyong. And everything will be perfect.

 

Perfect for her, not for me.

 

3 days after Monday, she finally attended all her classes. But she’s different from what I’m used to. She had this fake smile every time she meets my gaze. Her fake laugh when I try to make our situation lighter. And she’s been with Jiyong more than I could take.

 

Friday, I see them kissing. Obviously, they’re a couple by then.

 

I smile but as I turn away, heading to the opposite direction, I punched the nearest wall.

 

Coward.

 

I’m a f**king coward.

 

And now I feel the consequences of my decision.

 

[End of Flashbacks]

 

It was already Saturday morning. I was restless. Thoughts of her lips on other persons’ were like hell.

 

Certainly, my decision to let her go to other person’s arms doesn’t do any good to me.

 

I tossed and turn on my bed. I still failed. Any position doesn’t help me get the rest I needed.

 

I looked at my clock and it reads 4:56AM. Irritated, I stand up from my bed and went to my computer table.

 

Maybe I could just entertain myself with my laptop.

 

I my laptop and Dara and I’s picture greeted me. It was taken just two weeks ago. We were both making a face. Both sticking our tongue out like saying ‘bleh’.

 

I opened a folder where all our pictures were placed. Since first year to present pictures were there. Stolen photos to couple and group shots. It was like my virtual photo album. Every picture is important to me. Every moment I had with her. 

 

Sophomore year of High School, I was a transferee student. That year, I met Dara and became a part of the football team.

 

First day of sophomore year, I feel all the stares from every student when I entered the school’s main gate. It was uncomfortable but I still put through to my first class.

 

First class, I was feeling out of placed as I look at unfamiliar faces talking, smiling, laughing at each other. But then, someone took a seat next to me.

 

“Hi, I’m Sandara but my friends call me Dara.” I hear this sweet voice on my left. I look to my left and see the most beautiful girl I had ever seen. She was smiling brightly at me. I almost think she’s an angel sent by God.

 

I noticed was moving. Then I realize she was talking to me and I missed half of what she’s saying.

 

“Sorry, can you repeat what you just said?” I asked, a bit ashamed that I wasn’t listening.

 

She chuckles and I could compare it as music to my ears. “I asked what your name is.”

 

I smiled, awkwardly. “Oh. It’s Choi Seunghyun.”

 

“You’re a transferee, right?” She looks at me with interest. “Which school are you from?”

 

I said the school’s name but she frowned in return. I had to explain to her that my school wasn’t in any part of Korea. “It’s in California.”

 

Her eyes shine in amusement. “Really? Can you tell me about California? I’ve never been to that country.”

 

As we talk more, I could feel the awkwardness slipping away from us. Aside from her beautiful face, she’s also nice to talk to. When I talk to her, it felt so comfortable. Like we’ve known each other for a long time now.

 

I remember I took a stolen picture of her using my iPhone when our teacher came in. It was her side profile that I capture. I felt like she wasn’t real and I needed confirmation so I took a picture of her.

 

Third year, we became so close and inseparable even though she have her own set of friends.

 

We took a picture when the coach tells me that I was the chosen to be the next team captain of the football team.

 

She was so happy for me so we celebrated. Pizzas, sodas and marathon movies in her place.

 

Senior year, which is now, we took pictures before we entered the school gate. We were finally seniors, one step away from going to college.

 

We took pictures of things that would make our senior year more memorable. She took pictures with her friends while I took mine with my team.

 

The last picture was just a week ago. It was a picture of us having a staring contest, smiling as we stare at each other. We were on her place and because we’re so bored, we played the staring game. I won.  

 

The photo was taken by Dara’s younger brother, SangHyun. Suddenly, I remember him speak to me after taking that said picture.

 

Dara left to get me something to eat and drink when Sanghyun handed me my phone. “What do you see in this picture?”

 

I laughed a little. Well, it was kind of funny for me. “What kind of question is that? It’s your sister and I doing the staring contest.”

 

“You really can’t see anything more?” He pressed more.

 

I looked closely at my phone. Then my eyes widen as I fixed my gaze to Sanghyun. “Wait. Don’t tell me you see a ghost on that picture.”

 

It was his turn to laugh and before he turned to go back to his room, he said something that confused me. “Figure it out. You’ll see something more in this picture.”

 

I looked at the picture again, critically this time.

 

Then after a moment, I saw what Sanghyun meant about something more in the picture.

 

Dara and I’s expression were mirroring each other. 

 

Her eyes reflect mine.

 

My eyes reflect hers.

 

Realization struck me, she loves me.

 

Just like how I love her.

 

We were like the mirror of each other. Could it be that when I am sullen and couldn’t sleep, she was feeling and experiencing the same?

 

Is she not happy being with Jiyong now? Because surely, I am not.                                     

 

But I don’t really know what I should do.

 

Should I fight for her and hurt a friend? Or should I just be silent and hurt myself in the process?

 

Frustrated, I ran a hand on my hair.

 

F**ck, what should I do?

 

I, once again, remember the day she confessed to me.

 

“Uh, I don’t know where to start…”

 

“You’ve been my bestfriend for like 3 years now… You were always with me through everything that happened in my life. Sadness, laughter, tears, happiness… We shared it all…”

 

“It… It might be weird for you but I can’t just keep it forever, you know…”

 

.“I… I like you.”

 

 “Not like as a friend. But like as ‘I want you to see me as a potential girlfriend or something’. You were just always with me and one day, I realize that I like you more than just a friend. Weird, right? Are you feeling awkward now?”

 

 “I didn’t expect for you to answer. I just really want to tell you what I feel.”

 

Then that faked casual tone of her voice.

 

“Oh, I get it. It’s fine. It’s not like I love you, right? Liking you would disappear in time. Don’t worry.”

 

“It’s really alright. Let’s just forget I said anything.”

 

 “ So… I’ll see you tomorrow?”

 

F**ck the bros code.

 

I love her and I can’t take to see her with someone else.

 

I took a fast shower and wore a worn-out shirt, jeans and shoes. Before I got out of my room, I checked the time. It was already 7:31AM.

 

I dashed out of the house and hailed a taxi.

 

I just hope she’s in her home.

 

.“I… I like you.”  Could it be that she was supposed to say ‘I love you’?

 

God, how can I be so stupid not to see?

 

“Oh, I get it. It’s fine. It’s not like I love you, right? Liking you would disappear in time. Don’t worry.”

 

She loves me. And I just hope it didn’t disappear too fast.

 

I got into her house by 8AM.

 

I was knocking furiously onto the gate of her house when someone opens it, I thought it was Dara.

 

“I’m sorry. Can I talk to you -”

 

I didn’t get to finish that when I noticed it was her brother, Sanghyun, who opened the gate.

 

He looked at me with a mixture of hate and disappointment as he say, “She’s not here.”

 

 Before I knew it, I was explaining myself. “Look, I’m sorry. I didn’t realize it earlier than I was supposed to. And I was a f**king coward for not fighting for her over my friend.”

 

“What’s done is done. You should care more for the present.” He looked warily at me. Not a good sign. “She’s on a date… with Jiyong.”

 

“,” I furiously grabbed my hair.

 

Am I too late?

 

I didn’t expect Sanghyun to give me details about Dara’s whereabouts, but he still did. “They’re probably in her favorite coffee shop, waiting for the movie theaters to open.”

 

I hesitated. I suddenly doubted if I was too late. And if I could really break the bros code. Jiyong is a close friend and I didn’t want to hurt him.

 

Sanghyun probably read my mind as he said, “If you really want to fight for her this time, you wouldn’t think of anything except her happiness.”

 

“Does she really love me?” I asked. I wanted a strong proof that this is worth it. That hurting my friend was worth it.

 

He hissed, playfully. “I really want to punch you right now.”

 

I let out a nervous laugh. “Thanks. This time, I won’t back down.”

 

He grins. “No problem. Just so you know, I was Team Seunghyun all the way.”

 


 

It was 8:44AM when I arrived at Dara’s favorite coffee shop.

 

When I saw the big sign of the coffee shop’s name, I was in a nervous wreck state.

 

All that gives me strength to walk inside was the thoughts that ‘she still, probably, loves me’.

 

I just entered when Jiyong appears in front of me.

 

I suddenly felt the guilt.

 

“I knew you were coming.”

 

I looked at him, confused as to what he meant.

 

“You love her. She loves you. I knew that from the beginning.” He casually said, too casual I noticed. “You both were just too numb of each other’s feelings. It’s quite funny.”

 

“Are you-” I was about to ask if he’s okay with it but he cut me off.

 

“I’m okay with it. At least the guy she loves isn’t some from our school.” He joked before he pointed a finger to the ceiling and giving me a cup of hot caramel macchiato. “She’s waiting for me at the second floor. Here’s her coffee.” I looked at the cup on my hands. I can’t believe he was helping me. “Make it right and don’t f**k up. Or I’ll beat your at the practice game.”

 

He looked at me with seriousness. I knew he loves her but he’s ready to make way for me just to keep Dara happy.

 

“Thanks, man. Seriously. I don’t know if I should give up my title of ‘team captain’ to you just to show my gratitude.”

 

I really didn’t know what I could do to show how much I was thankful.

 

But all he did was pat my shoulder, smiling, before he went out of the coffee shop.

 

 For a moment, I watch him put his hands inside his jean pockets before he walked away.

 

Then, I realized the cup of coffee on my hand.

 

Dara didn’t like it when her coffee turns cold.

 

Nervous, I walked up to the flight of stairs until I got into the second floor.

 

I roamed my eyes, searching for her.

 

There she is.

 

She’s on her phone, probably playing some games to entertain herself.

 

I slowly walked to where she is.

 

When she noticed, a presence in front of her. She shoved her phone into her bag while saying “What took you so long? I thought you left me or something.”

 

I didn’t speak and wait for her to notice that it wasn’t Jiyong she’s talking to.

 

She noticed the silence. She turned her head and her eyes widen in a bit of shock. “Seunghyun?”

 

“Yeah.” I dumbly said before handing the coffee to her.

 

She frowned before mumbling, “Did he ditch me?”

 

She lifted her eyes to me, glaring, before mumbling again. “I should’ve known.”

 

She looked so adorably cute. If it was an ordinary situation, I would’ve pinched her cheeks and then she’ll do the same.

 

But with what’s about to happen, our friendship would change with something much better.

 

She chewed on her bottom lip, still glaring. “What are you doing here?”

 

“Umm…”

 

Oh f**k, what should I say?

 

And another f**k, this isn’t the right place to say how I feel.  And I should’ve prepared something special for her like tulips or something.

 

“Dammit,” I cursed lowly.  I officially call myself as ‘the guy that does nothing right’.

 

“Why are you here?” She asked again, getting a bit impatient.

 

, I need to think faster than Jimmy Neutron.

 

“Uh….”

 

<*ping*>

 

 An idea pops into my head. 

 

“Before I tell you my reason, would you go with me somewhere?”

 

She contemplated for a while.

 

“Please,” I added in desperation.

 

That gave her in, she nodded.

 

We got into a cab after we got out of the coffee shop. When I told the cab driver where to go, I could feel Dara’s confused expression on me.

 

I looked at her and shrugged.

 

It’s a surprise. Kind of.

 

A few minutes left, and we finally arrived at where Dara and I were enrolled at.

 

Before I could knock on the school’s gate, Dara stopped me by holding my wrist. “What are we doing here? School gates are closed. We can’t go in there.”

 

I smiled, assuring. “The football team can come in, whenever we want. We can get in.”

 

I knock and the school guard lets me in after realizing I was the football team’s captain.

 

I held Dara’s wrist and dragged her inside.

 

She was hesitant and doubtful why we were there but I didn’t tell a word until we stopped by at a specific room.

 

“What kind of joke is this, Seunghyun?” She’s glaring at me again. “I really don’t have time for your childish acts.”

 

I opened the door and dragged her inside. “Don’t you remember this room?”

 

She huffed before looking around. “Not really.”

 

“This is where we first met. Sophomore year.”

 

I slightly guided her to her seat back then.

 

After she’s settled on her seat, I sat on mine.

 

“So…?”

 

I sigh. This is it. “Remember when you told me your name and asked me what my name was?” She nodded. “I really wasn’t listening.” I asked, a bit ashamed.

 

A small smile forms on her lips. That moment I wish it was much wider, happier. “Yeah, I figured that. I thought you were just uninterested to talk to me.”

 

“Well, that really wasn’t the case.” I sigh for the second time. “I was mesmerized, like some goddess was sent to talk to me.” I look straight into her eyes, trying to convey that I’m serious. “And I can’t believe you’d rather talk to the new guy than hang-out with your friends.”

 

She just stared at me.

 

I almost laughed, she was really so adorable.

 

I looked at nowhere in particular as I remember everything that happened like it was just yesterday. Everything was so clear on my head. “That moment, I knew I was in deep trouble. Half-good and half-bad kind of way.”

 

I took a glance at her face. She was frowning now.

 

I grinned. “I was in it so fast and I couldn’t do anything. Everyday I spend with you made the feelings grow.”

 

Still frowning.

 

I smiled, looking into her brown eyes. “I like you the first time you approached me right here in this room. I like you more as we spend time together. But right now…” I smiled wider. “I could say that I love you.”

 

What happens next wasn’t what I’d expected.

 

She got teary-eyed before she started sobbing.

 

Is it too late? Is my confession too late?

 

I stand up from my seat and walked over to hers.  “Hey…” I didn’t know if I should gather her to my arms or just stay still and watch her cry.  

 

Could she have fallen out of love on me?

 

But slowly, her sobs subsided.  “Why’d you… have to push me away if you really love me?”

 

I sigh. “Jiyong... He loves you first before me.”

 

She wipes one last tear away as she stands up, looking at me seriously. “So just this morning, you suddenly thought to fight for me? After you’d hurt me?”

 

“No. I was always thinking about you this past week that I haven’t had a proper sleep. I was always thinking of you. Where you are, what you do, who you’re with, what we had before and a whole lot more. I knew I was wrong to push you away. It just hurt both of us. I’m sorry.

 

 “If I could turn back the time, I’d do all the things I didn’t. I’d tell you ‘I love you’ sooner.” I hesitated, trying to gauge her reaction, before I wrapped my arms around her smaller frame.

 

She clutches on my jacket. “Such a jerk.”

 

I hugged her tighter to me. “I know.”

 

She lets go of my jacket as she slides her hands into my neck. “A-hole.”

 

I breathed her in. “I know.” With her in my arms, I finally realized what the word ‘perfect’ meant.

 

Her arms enveloping my neck. “F**king bastard.”

 

I smile. “I know.”

 

She slightly pulls away, I guess so she could look at me. “If you weren’t so handsome, I would’ve punched you in the face right now.”

 

I removed one hand around her so I could hold the side of her face. My expression slightly teasing as I look into her beautiful eyes. “Well thank you for not doing that.”

 

She scowled before pinching my side. I moved a step back in surprise. “I can’t believe I still love you after all that had happened.”

 

Before I could step closer, she pulls me using my jacket. Her hands tightly clutching on it.  “I’m still mad at you, though.”

 

“I understand that and I’m really sorry. I should-” I didn’t get the chance to finish as Dara crashes her lips into mine.

 

F**k if it didn’t feel like heaven.

 

I moved my lips with hers. It was slow and sweet. All Dara.

 

I can’t believe she initiated the kiss.

 

There goes a boost to my ego.

 

Just as fast she kissed me, the same speed she pulled away.

 

I immediately missed the feel of her lips on mine.

 

She looks at me, shooting daggers. “That kiss doesn’t mean you’re forgiven, you understand?” I nod while my lips twitch, trying to suppress the grin. “And you still have to make up for what you put me through this past week.” I nod again, like a dog waiting for master to give me food.

 

And that food is…

 

“Sure. But…” I trailed of, my eyes darting to her lips. I really love her lips, especially when it’s on mine. “…can I kiss you again?”

 

She snickered at me before she smiles widely and pulls my head downt to hers.

 

Ah. There go the lips.

 

We shared a kiss that was a week too late.

 

 I know we’ll have more obstacles to face in our new relationship but I’ll do my best to be strong and do anything that makes her happy.

 

Because her happiness is also mine.

 

That’s love.

 

I officially announce that Park Sandara, my best friend, is now my girlfriend.

 

And maybe after four to five years, my wife.

 

 



 

 

A/N: My 2nd one-shot. I was inspired to write this because of a song I’ve heard. Did you guys like it? Share me your thoughts ‘coz I really wanna know. (: Thanks for reading!