with a few labored breaths

replacing oxygen with love

a/n: I’m tired of rereading this crap. It hurts. So posting! :D

 

---

The haze was getting heavy, swirling around them and stealing the oxygen from their breath. It was hanging over them, suffocating and vile, and Key can almost feel thick fingers of fog grasping down his throat to squeeze the life from him. His lungs feel constricted, weighted down by something other than smog.

Through this mist, Key can see a few last rays of sunlight filtering through. Dully, he wonders if this was the last time he would ever see the sun.

The air was too thin and that thought was too heavy and he vehemently pushes it out of his mind. He tries not to focus on the panic around them, the raw dread seeping through as people struggle for life. As far as they had tried to flee the heavily populated streets- dead bodies piled up like everywhere- they can still feel the chaos all the way out here, a seeping sort of madness that’s eating away at his mind.

The tendrils of fog wrap around the world and carry the tides of despair with them. Key feels as if he is was of the few people left alive and that probably isn’t far from the truth. That won’t stay true for very long though, and an odd calm settles over him at the thought.

It was a bitter place to die, behind crumbling buildings facing a dying sun. Gravel crunches underfoot, rough against Keys ears but it was a welcome sound that reminds him of easy days kicking pebbles into the lake. He doubts he’ll ever see a lake again or water at all for that matter. Memories of beaches and ponds and the shade of apple trees fly through his mind. He’ll never have any of that again.

Simple things had not really mattered to him before- leaves rustling with laughter and smiles were always second best to flashier possessions. He curses himself for not caring about all the little things that really made life worth living. No birds sing, no winds blow and their absence is painful and clawing at Key’s heart. If only he could go back and treasure all the things that were precious when the earth begins to peel away.

But he still has Jonghyun with him- he’ll always have Jonghyun- and that is a reassuring thought. Key turns to face his companion and he swallows thickly around an uncomfortable lump that he will probably take to his last moments. As he leans over to grab his hand, Jonghyun shoots him a weak, faltering smile. It is nonetheless a smile and Key can felt his heart swelling- Jonghyun tries to be strong for him, just for him.

He traces the bumps along the other man’s calloused hand, the knobs of his knuckles and wonders what luck gave him such an unselfish love.

“We’ll be fine. Tomorrow… tomorrow, we’ll be with our friends and we’ll be safe and sound. It’ll all end up alright,” Jonghyun says. The words are laced with confidence he didn’t quite have- Key can hear the quiver in his voice, and if he squints his eyes seem just a bit damp. He wouldn’t acknowledge the tears in his own eyes building up despite his best efforts and instead he nods with a shaky grin.

“Of course. We’ll laugh about this,” he replies softly. “We should go to the beach together again, on  a clear day. Buy cotton candy and watch Onew splash around at the pool. And maybe there’ll be roller coasters too and everything will just be perfect.” Jonghyun’s breath hitches and Keys hand trembles in his grasp. It’s a pretty lie and they both know it, but Key can’t help hoping.

The poisonous air is his soul away and he can feel the thud thud of his heartbeat slow down. the noise is drifting away from him, farther and farther until he can barely focus on anything expect for the throbbing ache in his head. There is still warmth next to him- heat and blood and life- and he reaches out to clutch Jonghyun and hang on to his last shreds of living. Jonghyun’s breath against his ear is coming too fast, too shallow and Key can’t help the sob that rips out. One less breath, one less moment until-

They continue to shiver against each other, before Jonghyuns long fingers are grasping onto his jaw, pulling his warm lips to chapped ones. Jonghyun is pushing their mouths together softly, muttering something that is wordless but so full of emotion that Key is almost crying again. He is opening his mouth and trying to breathe love into Jonghyun’s mouth and Key hopes he understands- when he feels a curve, he knows he does. Desperation is beginning to simmer down and Jonghyun’s tight grip on him is relaxing slowly but Key feels no fear or grief.

Jonghyun is happy now.

Key smiles against his lips one last time and decides just this once, he would let go.