Memories

Memories Of A Living Doll

The mansion was an old English Elizabethan style, big and beautiful. However it was already old since it had already been abandoned. Rumors always spread by the people who were living around the neighborhood about the house, about the story of the mansion and the people who once lived in there. One were about the madam died of murdered by one of the maids who betrayed the family. One were about the master having another mistress behind the madam's back and one were about the family had been cursed by an evil witch that once came by the town. Many rumors, but no one knew what was the real story behind it. In addition, they also don't know who was the owner of the mansion. It just placed there in the outskirt of the town, isolated but can be seen.

 

But only one person, or maybe two, who knew about the story of the mansion.

 

The huge black metal gate slowly opens, when a young boy came in. The first thing that he saw was the familiar beautiful gardens. He took a deep breath, with a grin plastered on his lips. Slowly, he took a quiet step inside. The grounds were grassy, covered by old leaves that came from the old trees. The boy's eyes wandered around as he walks towards a door.

 

Gripping the doorknob carefully, he turned it around and pushed open.

 

Home sweet home,” He murmured with a deep voice that actually doesn't matches well with his features. He walks along the familiar corridor, heading towards another room. When he spotted a staircase, he decided to go upstairs instead. The house was dark, furniture and white clothes covering them, and it seems dusty. But it didn't bothered the boy much. In fact, he felt welcomed. Taking the last step up the stair, he saw a familiar big door painted with dark green.

 

His smile widened, and he approached the door. The door creaked as the boy push open it, revealing a room filled with bookshelves that he recognized. There, a chair was placed in the middle of the big room, empty. He walked closer to the chair.

 

I miss this place,” He mumbled, his fingers traced along the chair.

 

This was his favorite seat..” He added, smiling weakly.

 

~*~

 

The door was knocked lightly, and with no respond, it was opened, where a boy appeared with a bright smile. “Master~” He chirped and went into the room, where another young man was in.

 

The master looked up from the book he was reading, and he smiled when he saw the boy. “Chanyeol,”

 

Chanyeol then skipped towards his master, who was sitting on a chair in the middle of the big library room. “Master, are you feeling well today?” He asked, sitting on the floor near the chair, placing his chin on the arm chair. Wu Fan chuckled, and he placed his hand on the doll's head, caressing it.

 

I'm fine as I'll ever be. Why do you ask, love?” he replied. As crazy as it sounds, Chanyeol was a living doll that Wu Fan had perfectly created with all his hard works. And to add more crazy, Chanyeol was his lover as well.

 

You're not in the lab just now, so I thought you were sick or something,” Chanyeol pouted. Wu Fan chuckled again at his lover's worries. He leaned closer to the doll and placed a kiss on his forehead. “I'm fine, Chanyeol. I am. Thank you for worrying me,” He said. Then Chanyeol stood up to sit down on his master's lap. Wu Fan wrapped his arms around Chanyeol's waist and rested his chin on the doll's shoulder. “So why aren't you researching today like usual?” Chanyeol asked again.

 

Wu Fan shrugged. “Just feel like wanting to have a day break with my one and only love,”

 

Ew, you sound greasy just now,” Chanyeol commented.

 

The master pouted. “That's a bad way to talk with your master,”

 

But you're my lover too,”

 

You think so?”

 

Chanyeol nodded his head. “You are my lover and will forever be,”

 

And so I am then. Happy?”

 

The two then laughed together happily, as if it was the most happiest day of all their life. Their hands wrapped together tightly, not letting anything to separate them.

 

~*~

 

Master,”

 

Wu Fan glanced at Chanyeol, who was looking at him with worries.

 

Yes, what is it, love?” He asked, before coughing. Chanyeol rose up from his seat and quickly approached Wu Fan. “Are you feeling well?”

 

Wu Fan nodded his head. “I'm fine. I'm-,” His voice trailed off when he suddenly coughed again. A slight panic came in Chanyeol's feelings and he quickly took out a glass bottle from the nearby cupboard in the room. He then opens the bottle and took out two pills, giving it to his master. “Master, eat this,” He said. With a weak smile, Wu Fan took the pills and swallowed it, then drank a glass of water that Chanyeol handed him.

 

But you look pale,” Said Chanyeol.

 

I'm okay. Don't worry, it's just normal coughing in the early morning,” Wu Fan caressed his lover's cheek and forced up a smile. Chanyeol solemnly looked up to his lover's eyes.

 

You've been coughing many times for the whole week,”

 

I said I'm alright,”

 

You sure?”

 

Yes, I'm sure very much,”

 

Don't get sick, okay?”

 

I promise,”

 

~*~

 

I promise,” Was the word just normal two words that doesn't meant anything? Wu Fan knew he should keep that promise for the rest of his life.

 

But now.. Chanyeol could only see him lying on the bed for the entire past 3 months. It hurts him too much seeing how painful and lifeless his master was. Everyday when Chanyeol walks into Wu Fan's chamber, to only thing he wishes to see was Wu Fan standing up straight with a big smile, telling that he was now healthy.

 

He had been praying that for many times already. But none listened to his prayers. Chanyeol felt useless.

 

Everytime he walks into the room, he could only see Wu Fan on the bed, looking pale and coughing like there won't be any end for it.

 

Master...” Chanyeol sobbed.

 

Wu Fan lifted up his gaze to Chanyeol. “Chanyeol, are you alright?” He asked in concern. Chanyeol could only nodded.

 

I'm alright, but what about you?” he knew that dolls won't have any health problems. Chanyeol became more worried when he saw how tired Wu Fan was.

 

I'm okay,”

 

But-,”

 

Chanyeol, I promised you I'll be healthy forever, and I am right now,”

 

Chanyeol bit his lips. “Yeah..”

 

Can he really believe Wu fan could keep up his promise, with this condition he was in?

 

 

~*~

 

Pray.

 

Chanyeol thought he should pray more for his master's health.

 

He should, or so that what he thinks.

 

~*~

 

The ray of sunlight flashes to his face, as he stared outside from the window frames. His face showed no emotions, his eyes were puffy as he watched a group of people wearing black walks out from the front door, holding a coffin.

 

He placed his palm on the window as the group of people were about to go out to the gates. Chanyeol bit his lips, his eyes felt sting, but no tears fell down.

 

Master...” He sobbed. He clenched onto his chest. His legs trembled and he knelt down.

 

When the people in black were all out from the gates, one of them gripped onto both gates, and closed it together. He took out a chain, and wrapped it over two of the gate poles, and put on a padlock. Locking it, the man joined the others as they carried the coffin to the graveyard, leaving Chanyeol all along locked in the now abandoned mansion.

 

Master...” he tried to cried, but couldn't. As dolls couldn't drop a single tear.

 

Don't leave me...”

 

~*~

 

It was now the twenty-first century, one century had passed after Wu Fan's death. One century later with Chanyeol still locked alone in the mansion. So far, he could only see the empty front yard of the mansion from the windows. For over years, he only sat down lifelessly on the floor, staring outside the window, waiting for something.

 

Hoping for something.

 

He was waiting and hoping for miracle.

 

He would always imagine that the gates will be unlocked, and was opened by Wu Fan, who was already healthy. And Chanyeol would runs to him, welcoming him with a warm hug and a 'I love you'.

 

However he only saw the falling dead leaves in the Autumn, cold snows in the winter, colorful flowers in the spring and green grasses in summer.

 

When was the last time he smiled and felt like a real human before?

 

From his memories, the last time he every felt loved and happy, was before Wu Fan broke his promise. He missed smiling now. But for what he smiles for? No one would care if he smiled or not, cos the person who only took notice of his existence was gone.

 

Forever...

 

~*~

 

On one faithful day, for the first time ever, the gate was unlocked. It was late Wednesday night, Chanyeol wasn't looking at the front yard like he usually do. Instead, he was at another corner, trying to give his swelling eyes a rest.

 

A young man quietly walks in, with a bit of nervousness and a mix of curiosity in his feelings. He turned around, where two boys were standing out from the gate. “Go in already,” Mouthed one of them.

 

Remember, run out from this mansion less than one hour, you will treat me and ZhiTao to a five star restaurant,” The other boy said. The young man rolled his eyes. “What ever you say, Bacon,” he said, turning around to the mansion once again. Taking some bravery, he walks forward.

 

Slowly opening the front door, the young man tip toed in, not wanting to create loud noises though he thought that no one was in the mansion. As he walks through the corridor, he saw a staircase. Curios, he walks up to the stair, where it led him to a corridor with many door. Glancing all the doors, he decided to walk into the room at the far left corner.

 

He carefully opens the door, where the first thing he caught in sight was a figure, sitting on the corner. His eyes widened and unconsciously, he approached the figure.

 

'Is this a person?' he thought, and his fingers suddenly poked to the figure's cheek.

 

'Wow it's soft. Wait... It's a person?!' The young man froze when Chanyeol moved.

 

As the doll fluttered open his eyes, he was greeted by a face that he familiarized. The face he had been long seen.

 

Wu... WuFan?!”

 

Shocked, the young man stumbled backwards, failing down to the floor with a loud 'thump'.

 

Master, is it really you?” Chanyeol went closer to the young man, but only to be stop by the other. “Don't!” He said. “Touch me,” The young man finishes with trembles, surprised and scared by Chanyeol sudden awaken.

 

Chanyeol felt a slight feeling of pain in his heart when he heard the man's words. That was until he realized, “You're not Wu Fan,” Angered, he stood straight up but only to knelt again because he haven't been standing for a long time.

 

You're okay?” The young man asked and tried to help him, but Chanyeol slapped his hands away. “Who are you?” He asked in a sharp tone. “When and how you came here?”

 

Wow chill dude, what's up with the attitude?” The young man raised both his hands up. Chanyeol raised a brow. “Huh?”

 

The young man then pulled out his right hand to Chanyeol. “I'm Kris by the way, not.. Erm, Wu Fan?” Chanyeol looked down to Kris's hand, hesitant to accept the hand shake. But Kris grabbed his hand and placed it to his own, holding it tightly.

 

What's your name?”

 

Chan... Chanyeol..”

 

~*~

 

One in a half hour had passed, Kris and Chanyeol were still in the room together, sharing stories to each other as whilst Kris's other two friends were still waiting outside the mansion. The full moon shone brightly with the shining stars in the dark cold night sky. Chanyeol and Kris sat down near to the window.

 

So.. you're not human?” Kris asked and Chanyeol nodded.

 

I'm a living doll, created by my master,”

 

You were locked in this mansion for one century?”

 

Yeap,”

 

Alone?”

 

Yes,”

 

Wow, that's...”

 

Scary?”

 

Yeah,”

 

I know..” Chanyeol sighed and pulled up his legs to his chest. “I never go out from the mansion,”

 

You don't try to call for help?”The human asked as he observed around the room.

 

Chanyeol shook his head.

 

I don't have energy to do so.. I feel so tired already,” He leaned back against the window frame. “I can't..” He smiled bitterly as the beautiful memories lies in the mansion flashes back.

 

Kris felt sympathy to the doll. He never knew someone would be this depressing. Of all places Kris went, he never see someone would be this weak. He only saw the typical life of Earth. The goods, the bads, and the one who doesn't care to the world. But knowing Chanyeol now, he had finally realized the truth. There's someone whose hoping could find happiness, but couldn't.

 

The young man observed the doll, who was looking lifeless.”You should cry,” he said.

 

Dolls don't cry, Kris. And I promise to not to,”

 

Then Kris leaned closer to the windows, and with all of his strength, he pushed open the big windows, letting the cold breeze flew into the dark room, that only has one candle light to brighten it up. Chanyeol flinched when the wind touches his skin since it has been a very long time h had felt touches, cold and warm touches. “You're okay?” Kris asked when he saw the doll's reaction. Chanyeol whimpered and could only nodded his head.

 

It's been so long since someone asked how I'm feeling,” Chanyeol rested his head to the window frame. “I kinda miss it now,”

 

Kris once again felt sorry. Subconsciously, he held Chanyeol's cold hands.

 

Don't you want to go out from this place?”

 

I wish to. But I can't. If I do so..”

 

What?” Kris tighten his grip to Chanyeol's hands, giving warmth to it.

 

I'll be gone. You see, I am a living doll who could only be alive when I'm around this mansion. If I go out of boundary, I'll be nothing but a rag doll,” Chanyeol played with Kris's fingers.

 

Kris then checked at his wrist watch, where it showed that 50 minutes had passed. Meaning, there's only 10 more minutes before he left the mansion. He stared at Chanyeol, gently caressing his cheek. He wished he could help the doll, but since Chanyeol couldn't go out from the house, Kris felt useless. He was so determined to help him, but what can he do?

 

He then gently pulled Chanyeol to his embrace. “I wish I could help,” He spoke.

 

Chanyeol smiled. “I wish you can as well,”

 

They stayed in that position for the passed 9 minutes, until when Kris looked back to his watch, it only have 1 more minute. 60 seconds left.

 

He let go off the hug. “This is it. I should go now. I hope we can meet each other again, Chanyeol,” He said, standing up from the window frame. Chanyeol tilted his head to the side. “What do you mean?”

 

 

I had to go. I'll be moving out to my new house tomorrow,” Kris solemnly replied.

 

Chanyeol's smile dropped. “So you're going to leave me?” He asked. Kris could only nodded.

 

'He's leaving me.. again..'

 

~*~

 

The moonlight was fading as the night clouds appeared. The two were now at the backyard, ready for Kris to leave. Chanyeol stood still as he watched Kris opens the gates that had long never been opened. He felt depressed once again, with the memories of Wu Fan stepping out from the house replyed in his memories. He held tightly onto Kris's hands, telling that he was begging for Kris to not go.

 

Don't leave..” He said softly, as if he was only whispering. Kris bit his lips.

 

I'm sorry, Chanyeol,” Kris replied. Then two familiar voices could be heard from the other side of the gates. “Kris Wu, times up! You win, now let's go packing up!” It was Baelhyun's.

 

Kris glanced to Chanyeol for the last time and he forced up a smile, where to Chanyeol, it was the same smile when Wu Fan was leaving him.

 

Bye..” Said Kris but didn't received any replies since Chanyeol kept his silence.

 

Don't leave,” Chanyeol sobbed, when he felt his hand was empty. “Kris,” he called out.

 

I promise you, I'll visit you one day once I come back, kay?” Kris promises, ready to step out to the gate.

 

Chanyeol watched as Kris's image was slowly fading away from his sights. He closed his eyes, halfheartedly wanted to see the sight of someone leaving again. That is until he heard a soft whisper from behind.

 

Go with him,” Surprised, Chanyeol turned around but no one was there.

 

Can I?” Chanyeol mumbled and was replied with the gates reopens.

 

You can do it. Just go, get your freedom,” the whispers came again.

 

Chanyeol looked at the gates, hesitant on what he should choose. Closing his eyes once again, Chanyeol took cautious steps as he walked towards the gate. He raised his right hand, ready to step out.

 

When miracle happens.

 

For the first time ever, Chanyeol felt warm, he felt his artificial heart, beats. He opens his eyes, where he found himself already standing outside from the gate. A smile appeared on his face and he glanced back to the mansion, before his feet move and he run towards Kris.

 

Kris!”

 

~*~

 

Now it felt like it just happen yesterday. The memories he cherishes the most. He was now a living human, no longer a doll. He can now felt how it feels like to be a human. He has friends now, someone who care about him. And he have someone who he loves as well. And it was no other than the first person who he met after a long time of being locked, Kris.

 

Closing the front door slowly, locking it, Chanyeol walks out to the pathway. He turned back to the mansion and looked at it for the last time. He sighed and then smiled.

 

Thank you,” He mumbled and focused his gaze to a window at the top left, which he remembered, was his master's room.

 

Unexpectedly, he saw a glimpse of a figure standing behind the windows, smiling to him.

 

Chanyeol's eyes widened.

 

Wu Fan...”

 

The End....

 

 

A/n: Ignore those crappy English please ^^ I'm actually quite in a rush >.<