Not So Good News

Our Most Wanted

 

“Now we’re all here, Stan. What is the big news?” Aria dumped her bag in a chair as she took her place in the meeting table at the company. Nika was sunken in her chair with her legs crossed over the table. She had her phone in her hands and seemed to be texting at lighting speed. Kira’s head was leaned on her hand and as she flipped through the pages of a brand new book.

 

“Okay girls, listen carefully. This is very important.” Stan, the group’s manager, clapped his hands together and smiled excitedly. “You may all have heard the rumors about our label founding a new branch aside from the one in Japan and the UK.”

 

Aria, Nika, and Kira nodded.

 

“Well, the board has decided that you, Most Wanted, will inaugurate the new branch as the first group under their management!”

 

“Are you serious?!” Nika threw her phone aside and covered with both hands.

 

“This is huge!” Kira smiled with obvious excitement.

 

“I knew you girls would love it.” Stan nodded with satisfaction.

 

“So where is it?” Aria asked before anyone else could say another word.

 

“Um…well…” Stan scratched his head nervously.

 

“Stan…” Aria said, smelling something fishy about the whole thing.

 

“It’s in…South Korea.” Stan finally said.

 

“Say what?” Kira’s jaw dropped.

 

“South Korea? As in…Asia?” Nika frowned.

 

“How many South Koreas do you know, genius?” Kira rolled her eyes. Nika stuck her tongue at her.

 

“Please tell me you’re joking right now.” Aria said, dead serious.

 

“I’m afraid not.” Stan said apologetically. “South Korea’s pop industry is growing at an unbelievable rate. Every day, more and more people are being attracted to the ‘Kpop wave’. We should take advantage of that opportunity to introduce our artists to a new market.”

 

“But we don’t know ANYTHING! What about the culture? What about the LANGUAGE?” Nika asked hysterically.

 

“Oh, please. Remember that one time you learned Portuguese only to make that Brazilian guy fall for you?” Kira pointed out. “Language shouldn’t be a problem for you.”

 

“But this is different!” Nika whined.

 

“It’s just impossible, Stan.” Aria said. “We have lives here in America. Family, career, fans, everything!”

 

“She’s right.” Kira, the rational voice, said. “We know nothing about Korea or their music industry. Not to mention we debuted only a year ago. We’re still in the middle of gaining popularity over here.”

 

“I’m sorry, but that was the company’s final decision.” Stan said. “It is either that or you guys will have to leave Def Jam Recordings.”

 

“No. Fair.” Nika crossed her arms and sulked. The three girls exchanged worried glances.

 

“Are you sure this will be for the good?” Kira tried to look at it as an opportunity.

 

“I promise it will.” Stan said. “You will be leaving in six months. In the mean time you three will receive intense lessons on Korean culture, etiquette, and language. I will make sure you are well prepared for what’s coming.”

 

“I still think this is a crazy idea.” Nika said with not much confidence. “But it’s not like we have another choice.”

 

“Fine.” Aria grumbled. “I swear Stan, if I had the authority to fire you, I would do it this second.”

 

“You girls will do great.” Stan patted Aria’s shoulder and then left the meeting room to make some arrangements.

 

-At TS Ent. Headquarters (3 months before Def Jam’s inauguration)-

 

“You guys heard the news?” Yongguk arrived to the practice room with his training bag over his shoulder and a golden envelope in his hands.

 

“About the American group? The girls from Secret just told me.” Himchan, who was dozing on the wooden floor, raised his head.

 

“What news? What American group?” Daehyun stopped his dance practice to hear what the leader was talking about.

 

“An American recording label is opening a branch here in Seoul. I think the label is called Def Jam. The President told me it is a pretty big deal in America.” Yongguk explained.

 

“Really?!” Zelo smiled. “Omo, that really IS big.”

 

“I also heard they will inaugurate their business with a three-member girl group.” Himchan added. “They are called Most Wanted.”

 

“Interesting.” A smile appeared on Youngjae’s lips. “If they’re famous it could be our chance to meet some big American celebrities.”

 

“And what is that in your hand?” Jonggup noticed.

 

“Oh, this?” Yongguk waved the envelope in the air. “An invitation. They’re having an inauguration party. All major entertainment agencies are invited.”

 

“Woah, I’m excited already. What should I wear?” Youngjae said pensively.

 

“Relax, fashion boy.” Yongguk smacked him in the back of his head. “It’s three months away.”

 

 

-At Infinite’s Dorm (2 months before Def Jam’s inauguration)-

 

“Yah! You’re hogging the whole screen, idiot.” Dongwoo shoved Woohyun with his shoulder and took a seat in front of the computer.

 

“What are you doing? That is MY computer so I have the right to see first!” Sunggyu pushed Dongwoo from the chair and took it for himself.

 

“Guys, calm down. It’s not like the article is going to suddenly vanish you know.” L sighed all the way from the couch.

 

“Let me see! Let me see!” Sungyeol tried to squeeze his head in between the older member’s arms.

 

Hoya and Sungjong arrived in the middle of the discussion.

 

“What’s going on here?” Hoya chuckled as he saw Dongwoo being held by Sunggyu with his face flat on the floor.

 

“Manager sent an article with the pictures of that American group that will come to Korea in a couple of months.” L answered.

 

“No way.” Sungjong ran over to see what everyone was going crazy about.

 

“Guys! The pictures loaded!” Woohyun announced and the members all rushed over to see.

 

“They are called Aria, Kira, and Nika.” Sungyeol read. “Aria is 19, Kira is 18, and Nika is 17.”

 

“Who cares about their ages? Just scroll down to the pictures.” Hoya urged.

 

“They’re…different.” Sungjong observed the screen intently.

 

“Of course they’re different.” Woohyun grinned. “They are foreigners.”

 

“Kira’s hair is really red. And it looks natural.” Dongwoo commented.

 

“I like Nika’s eyes.” Sunggyu said almost inaudibly. Even L was trying to take a peek now.

 

“Aria looks like Jessica Alba!” Hoya shook L enthusiastically.

 

“Hoya,” L slapped Hoya’s hands away. “To you, every American looks like Jessica Alba.”

 

“But she does!” Hoya protested.

 

“Okay, that’s enough kids.” Sunggyu turned the screen monitor off. “We have practice to go to.”

 

“Aw man.” Dongwoo said with disappointment. “You really are a buzz kill.”

 

“We shouldn’t be so excited about this. We already know plenty of celebrities. They can’t be that different.” Sunggyu said.

 

“Yeah, he’s right.” Woohyun agreed.

 

“You’ll have enough time to see them in the party that’s coming. Now shut up and stop whining.” L pushed the members to the exit. Everyone began to protest but eventually followed the leader’s order.

 

-At Cube Ent. Headquarters (1 month before Def Jam’s inauguration)-

 

“Is that what you guys are wearing to the party?”  Hyunah asked while the Beast boys were having their suits fitted.

 

“You guys look cool.” Sohyun complimented.

 

“I’m awfully handsome, aren’t I?” Yoseob observed his reflection in the mirror.

 

“Pft, your mirror must be broken.” Hyunseung said under his breath.

 

“I’m sorry, Hyunseung. I couldn’t hear you. Mind saying that again?” Yoseob shot the his friend a nasty look.

 

“I didn’t say anything.” Hyunseung said innocently.

 

“I wonder how they’re in real life.” Doojoon said while fixing his tie. “Most Wanted, I mean.”

 

“No idea.” Gikwang shrugged. “I don’t really get why everyone is making such a big deal out of this this. Do they even speak Korean?”

 

“Beats me.” Dongwoon said without much interest. “I heard American girls are pretty wild.”

 

“You don’t even know them.” Hyunah scolded him. “You have to be nice.”

 

“Yeah, yeah.”

 

“Who says we will even get to know them?” Junhyung said. “The place will be packed.”

 

“Aw, but I really want to meet them!” Sohyun pouted.

 

“I’m sure we will.” Yoseob said confidently. “We’re Beast, remember?”

 

“Oh shut up.” Everyone said together, even the 4minute girls.