Not a Happy Valentines Day

My First Love is You

[Beginning of Year 8]

It was the beginning of year 8, and I was to turn 13 that year. It seemed that time had passed really quickly, because in no time, it was already Valentines Day. The worst feeling you can get on a Valentines Day is if you have liked someone for so many years, but still, after many Valentines Day you have lived through, you're still alone. And that was how I felt on that particular Valentines Day in Year 8, when I finally grew into that phase when all you thought about in your spare time was boys. I walked into the school gates, and ran up to my friends. "Happy Valentines Day!" I said to her enthusiastically, and she jerked at my sudden appearance.

"Gosh you scared me!" she scolded me, but laughed. "So, I see you remember these things very clearly, don't you?"
"Not like I care that much anyways," I said back to her, but I knew that she knew I cared. She was my only friend who knew about my crush on Sungjae, and she had always felt so happy for us. She (her name was Heejin) had had a crush on someone before as well, but unfortunately, he had moved to another country before she could confess. Heejin always complained that I didn't approach Sungjae enough, when clearly we both liked each other. Of course, being the careful and shy girl I was, I would never confess to him if I didn't know for sure that he liked me back. I mean, he admitted to liking me back in year four, but what about four years later, in year eight? I couldn't just jump to conclusions like that.

"Yah, don't try to lie to me Minyoung, I can read your mind! Of course you care," Heejin said to me.
"Yeah, I know you're really smart, so you can stop showing off your mind reading skills now," I joked.
We laughed, and then headed down to class.

----------------AFTER SCHOOL------------------

I flopped down on my chair, and closed my eyes. It had been such a big day, with all that cricket in the morning, and more baseball for PE in the afternoon. I opened my computer, and checked my chat. It had become a habit of mine to come back home everyday, unpack my bag, and then open my computer to check my chat. The usual friends were online that day; Heejin, Jangmi, and... Sungjae?

I became excited as usual when I see Sungjae's name come up on the chat, but this time, I hesitated. Sungjae's name was flashing green on my chat, so it meant that he sent a message to me? I smiled at my computer screen, and typed the news to Heejin. Then I clicked Sungjae's name to view his message.

Sungjae: So who's your valentine? ;)

I remember that I had laughed at his comment, because it was as if he was reading my mind. I had wanted to ask him that too.

Minyoung: hm... secretxD Tell me yours first:D

I waited for a few seconds before a reply came back.

Sungjae: I don't even have one -.-
Minyoung: Me too^^

We ended up chatting for another 15 minutes, but we barely talked at all. The only reason we chatted for so long was because he took so long to reply every time, but I couldn't blame him; he said that he studied while chatting with others. But, nevertheless, I was satisfied. Sungjae had complained that his friends talked too much about girls. I, of course, didn't say anything about that, because I felt slightly guilty for always talking about boys, but I agreed with him on that. We were not even at an age where we should date yet, so why be so sad about not having a Valentine?

After chatting with him that day, I felt slightly better. At least I knew that nothing was happening between us because he wasn't ready for any relationships yet, not because he didn't like me at that time. After that, I had not chatted or talked to him for another half a year or so. I rarely even met him anymore. Soon, he quit chat, and some friends of his told me it was because he felt it was too distracting. I don't blame him for being too hardworking, but if I had had enough courage to talk to him on chat whenever he was still online, I could've changed something. But regretting something in the past never gets you anywhere. It only makes you hate yourself more, for not realising something in the past. Sometimes, you just gotta let go.

--------------------------------

Hi everyone! I'm glad many of you liked Chapter 10, it always feels so great to have readers commenting^^
This chapter was a bit short, and I'm not sure if you all like it, but I just wanted to add that in so that things aren't running too quickly in my story:D
So I hope you all enjoy this chapter, and yes! Please comment if you can! Thanks everyonexD