Chapter 4

Love in Disguise

 

“But I suggest you not to rent the vacant room of Mrs. Kim. The room might have a low price, but you can’t expect her daughter to treat you nicely. I’m just warning you.” Baekhyun said over the phone before he realized that you cut the call off.

“Hello? He-hello?” *Whatever.* Baekhyun rolled his eyes and went back to work.

~~

You went to the house and rang the doorbell. You saw a woman coming towards the gate. You can tell that she’s around her 40’s.

“What do you want? Who are you?” The woman asked.

“Oh, I’m just wondering maybe I could rent the vacant room?” You politely asked. The woman looked at you from head to toe. She was unpleased by your look but accepted you, anyway.

*She’s so ugly. But alright, It’s better than having no one to rent the room.*

She took the tarpaulin off from the gate and led you inside. “Come in.”

“Thank you so much. I’m Park Eunmi.” You introduced yourself as you bowed. You grinned widely which showed your fake braces.

*Park Eunmi? The heiress? But no. It’s impossible to be her. The girl right here is so ugly. She’s way too different from the heiress.* Mrs. Kim thought, but she shove the thought away and just led you to your room. Once you got to your room, your jaw dropped. It is better than what you have expected. The room is big enough for you, but it is actually thrice smaller than your bedroom in your mansion. The room is painted with a beige paint. There’s a twin sized bed, a walk-in closet, a cabinet, a bedside table, a study table with a personal computer, two windows that are right beside the two book shelves. The room is enough for you.

“Thank you so much for accepting me. This room is so nice, yet has a low price. What’s err… your name?” You shyly asked.

Mrs. Kim chuckled. “I’m Kim Jooyeon. Just call me Jooyeon unnie.”

*Unnie? She doesn’t look like one! She’s an ahjumma. Oh well.* “Okay, unnie.” You bowed.

“I’ll leave you here. Get used to your room before I tour you around my house, arasso?”

“Nae.” You nodded.

With that, Mrs. Kim walked off.

“Aja! My new life starts now! Hwaiting!” You raised your fist and smiled in content.

*No paparazzis, no maids to serve me, no chauffeurs, no over protective parents, no suitors, WHAT IS LIFE?! THIS IS LIFE! PUAHAHA!*  You celebrated mentally.

You remembered Baekhyun so you grabbed your phone from your bag and called his number.

Baekhyun picked up his phone and answered it.

“Hello?”

“Oh, it’s me, the girl this morning. I forgot to ask your name. What’s your name?”

“Byun Baekhyun. What’s yours?”

“Park Eunmi. Thanks, by the way.”

“Nice name you got there. Erm… for what?”

“For telling me that the owner of the house came. If you didn’t, someone might have taken the room over, instead of me.”

*I guess she didn’t hear my warning.*

“No problem. What about let’s meet outside later?”

“That’ll be a nice idea but…”

“But what?”

“Don’t expect to see what I looked like this morning. I’m uhm…”

“Hey! Are you done, Eunmi? Come down and I'll tour you around my house now!” Mrs. Kim shouted.

You pulled your phone away from your ear and shouted back, “Nae! I’ll be there in a few seconds!”

But still, Baekhyun heard it.

“Bacon, bye! Later at 8:00pm, kay?”

“Bacon? What?”

Before Baekhyun could argue, you cut the phone call off. You strode towards Mrs. Kim and said, “I’m ready.”

“Good. Now, let’s start from the kitchen.”

She toured you around the house. The house is ordinary so you got used to it easily.

“I have a daughter and a son living here. How old are you, Eunmi?” Mrs. Kim asked.

“I’m seventeen, unnie.” *It’s weird calling an ahjumma an ‘unnie’.*

“Oh, my daughter is also seventeen. Her name is Ah young. I hope you two get along. My son’s name is Jong dae. He’s eighteen. Don’t call him ‘Jong dae’. He hates people calling him that. Call him ‘Chen’, okay?”

“Oh. Okay.”

“My son is so quiet and doesn’t talk a lot, but you can ask him if you have some problems in the house. Well, my daughter is always out of the house, hanging out with her friends, and going to clubs, so you can’t expect a nice treatment from her.” Mrs. Kim let out a chuckle.

“It’s alright, unnie.”

The two of you toured around the house for about fifteen minutes. Soon, you told her that you’re going out for a moment. She nodded and told you that her curfew hour is 11:00pm.

When you went to the gate, you saw a handsome guy coming towards you. *I guess he’s Jong dae.*

Chen just walked passed by you as if he didn’t see you.

Your shoulders deflated and just ignored him. You went outside to see Baekhyun sitting in a bench.

“Bacon?” You called.

“Bacon? It’s not freaking bacon. It’s Baekhyun. B-a-e-k---“ He turned around and he was surprised to see such an ugly creature infront of him.

“Omona!” He startled.

You grinned, showing your fake braces, which weren’t there this morning.

“Who are you?” Baekhyun teased you.

“Aigoo! It’s me, Eunmi.”

“What’s with your look? Are you going to attend a horror party or something?”

You chuckled at his silliness. “No. The truth is that…” *Should I tell him or not? Whatever. He doesn’t know my identity, anyway.* “I disguised myself so people won’t like me.”

“What?” Baekhyun looked at you in disbelief.

“Look, admit it, you think I’m pretty right?”

“Yeah…” Baekhyun rubbed the back of his neck.

“I just don’t want people to like me just because of my beauty. I want them to accept what’s inside me, not because of my physical appearance.” You explained.

“Keep it a secret, okay?” You added as he nodded.

*It’ll be my second time to keep a secret.* Baekhyun thought.

You were talking with Baekhyun for almost a half an hour. You saw a guy with a big spectacles and a messy hair, but you have to admit that he looks hot. He was wandering around the neighborhood.

“Bacon, look at that guy. He’s been wandering like a fool for about an hour now.” You pointed towards the guy. *He looks kinda familiar.* You thought.

“Yeah. Don’t mind him.” Baekhyun said.

You saw the guy went inside a house. You let out a chuckle. “He’s a pabo. He didn’t realize that the house that he’s been looking for is near beside him. He wasted his time wandering around. Puahahaha.”

Baekhyun watched you laugh. He softened at how you’re being so comfortable with him. Slowly, he took your glasses and wig off. Your hair flowed down and it shined because of the moon’s light. Your eyes blinked at Baekhyun’s sudden action.

The two of you stared at each other for a moment.

*She’s so beautiful.* Baekhyun’s heart suddenly went ba-bump.