Chapter One: First days at new schools and all the anxiety that follows

Have Courage

 

The move back to Korea at the age of fifteen was full of awkward re-meetings and confusion towards the culture and ethnicity that Park Sanghyun once knew. The same went for the language that felt clunky and off beat on his tongue. Even though he was still fluent in Korean, he felt more comfortable speaking Tagalog and often rebelled against his parents by choosing to respond in the language that was considered foreign. 

 

Life in Seoul felt cold and complicated with its bustling city and advanced technology in comparison to the tropical Philippines that his family had left behind. Gazing out his bedroom window, he suddenly missed the brightly decorated Jeepney’s* that filled the streets and often held up traffic. He missed his friends and the comfort of Filipino food like adobo and sinigang that he grew to adore and love. 

 

His bottom lip jutted out into a discontented pout as he took his time getting ready for his first day at his new school. It would be awkward and lonely, that much he already knew so he wasn’t the least bit eager to leave the vague familiarity of his home. 

 

“Kkaedongie~!” came the cheery call of his older sister from down the hall, announcing her presence until she appeared at his bedroom door bright eyed and already dressed in their new school uniform. “Hurry up or else we’ll be late,” she scolded him lightly, eyebrows knitting when she saw that his striped tie still hung limply around his neck. “Aigoo, you’re not even properly dressed!” Shaking her head, she stepped inside his bedroom to help with his tie, offering a warm smile in hopes of cheering him up. 

 

Sanghyun’s older sister, Sandara, is two years his senior but their closeness dissolved any sibling rivalries and issues that came with age differences. He considered her to be one of his role models because she took care of him when their parents were too busy working and often wished he was more like her. More outspoken and friendly rather than his awkward, introvert personality. Glancing down at her because she was so small compared to his tall height, he had always thought she was a natural beauty with her milky white skin, cute baby face, and long, black hair. Any guy would be lucky to have her but they’d have to go through him because what he lacked in strength and muscles (he planned to work on both as soon as his family found a nearby gym), he made up in chivalry and cleverness.

 

“Ateh, hindi ko nais upang pumunta sa eskeula.”* He whined in Tagalog to her, hoping to appeal to her maternal side that appeared whenever they were together.

 

But it didn’t deter her in the least as she looked up at him with narrowed eyes and replied in Korean, “Yah, yah. No Tagalog here. Speak proper Hangul or else you’ll never get used to it.” There was a pause and then she added in a softer tone of voice, “I know it’s hard and you miss life in the Philippines Sanghyunnie but this is our home now. You’ll come to love it, I know you will.” And with that, she was done fixing his tie and handing his school bag to him along with a gentle squeeze to his arm. Another smile is flashed his way and he’s finally coaxed into leaving but not without a full breakfast. Sanghyun is a growing teenage boy and his never ending appetite resembled a black hole.

 

He’s still munching on his third piece of toast that he snuck into his lunch box when the two arrived at their new high school, blinking up at the tall buildings that held his upcoming school year with scared eyes. The food is suddenly heavy in his throat as he swallowed it down, anxiety soon following the rest of his breakfast to settle in his stomach. Sanghyun suddenly has the urge to run away from this campus, this school, everything about it. Maybe even South Korea if he could but that’s only a fleeting thought because running away with one lunch and backpack wouldn’t get him far. He has never attended a Korean school before because his family moved to the Philippines when he was a toddler so everything’s practically new to him as Sandara tugged him by his wrist to lead him to the main office.

 

Once inside he saw that students were already bustling about the school, a few slowing in their steps to give them curious stares but Sanghyun keeps to himself and follows after his sister. She’s the only person that he knows here, the only company that he’d stand by so they’d have to pry him from her because he planned to stick to her for as long as he could.

 

Or well, you know, until his new homeroom teacher tells him to follow him because class is starting soon. The class schedule suddenly seems like bad news that he read as fingers grip it until his knuckles turn white. “Ateh,” Sanghyun pouted for the umpteenth time that day, sad puppy eyes blinking back at her as he’s lead down the hall and the space between them increases. 

 

His older sister only shook her head in disbelief and called back to him with a smile, “Aigoo, you’ll be fine, you big baby. I’ll see you at lunch!” Her smile was the last thing he saw before turning around to follow his homeroom teacher, face still clouded with anxiety and sadness. Like a child, silly questions ran through his mind. What if he didn’t like any of his classes or classmates? What if they were mean to him and made fun of him? What if.. but he doesn’t allow himself to finish that himself to not be so pessimistic and be brave—like his sister. She definitely wouldn't be entering her class like a lost puppy but energetic and friendly. So he took in a deep breath and put on his best, albeit shy smile, for his classmates as he entered class, already searching the students' faces for some sort of familiarity.

 

However, in his search for something familiar and friendly, he had tuned out his teacher and didn't hear him talking to him.

 

"Sanghyun-ah," the teacher called for the second time, finally able to catch his attention because he's perking up and turning to the older man with wide, questioning eyes. In turn, his expression earned quiet chuckles from his classmates and easily painted his cheeks a bright pink. "I asked you if you could introduce yourself to the class."

 

"Ah, uh.. yeah--I mean, yes." The tall boy stumbled over his words because he's still grappling with the new shift from the Busan dialect that he spoke at home and the nationally accepted standard one.  Inhaling a deep breath, Sanghyun turned to his classmates sitting in rows, fully prepared to introduce himself but the words don't even make it past his lips when the sound of the classroom door opening could be heard, announcing to everyone that another presence had just entered. Automatically, all eyes turned to zero in on the newcomer, which turned out to be a petite girl dressed in the school uniform but her dark, cat like eyes and firm expression easily spoke of a confident aura quite larger than her size.

 

Sanghyun doesn't know what it was but there was just something about her that he couldn't take his eyes off her. Like the very sight of her commanded his attention at all times and that was just with one glance.

 

Or maybe it was the fact that her hair was dyed a platinum blonde.

 

"Ah, you must be Lee Chaerin, our other new student." His teacher finally broke the pregnant silence, offering the new new student a similar, warm smile that he gave to Sanghyun just minutes before but there was a scolding tone to his voice in his following words, "You're late and your hair color is against the rules."

 

The firm expression broke to allow guilt to furrow her eyebrows and bow her head in apology, speaking in a naturally husky voice, "I know, I'm sorry but my father and I just arrived last night from France so we we're still quite jet lagged. But I will be sure to change my hair color as soon as I can."

 

"Good. But since you have everyone's attention, why don't you come over here and introduce yourself after Sanghyun."

 

Oh right, he still hasn't given his awkward introduction but for some reason, it was difficult for him to focus on anything but his fellow blonde classmate.

 

"Uh.." He started again, finally tearing his eyes away to flash a shy smile and bow, doing his best not to think about how the close proximity between them. "I'm Park Sanghyun. I just moved here from the Philippines. Please take care of me."

 

A moment or two passed before Chaerin spoke up to introduce herself, "Hello, my name is Lee Chaerin. Korean isn't my first language so please help me learn." Then out of the corner of his eye, Sanghyun caught sight of Chaerin offering a small, knowing smile as if she understood how nervous he was. It was a simple gesture, really, that he appreciated because now he had someone to rely on. And yet he couldn't figure out why he felt his heart do this funny thing where it froze and then sped up with renewed energy because he'd never felt something like this before.

 

 

*Tagalog for “Older sister, I don’t want to go to school.”

A/N: To be honest, I'm not satisfied with this chapter especially towards the ending (Gives me a defalted balloon feeling, wouldn't you agree?). It's boring, I know but I really wanted to give a detailed insight of Sanghyun's mind because he is the main character. But I promise that things will pick up in the second and following chapters because there will definitely be interaction between Sanghyun and Chaerin as well as introductin to a few other supporting characters.

 

So please feel free to comment or critique! Thank you~!