1

A Smile Just for You

 

"There he goes... Baekhyun says with a sigh as he watched the school's hearthrob Kris passing by their cafeteria table.

"What? Who? aah..." Understanding dawned on Chanyeol, who was sitting beside him, when he saw who Baekhyun was sighing about. "Why don't you just go and talk to him and get it over with. All you do is sigh and moon over him. You'll never get anywhere if you stay here."

"Are you kidding? He is the most popular boy here. Athlete. Hearthrob. Prince Perfect. Why would he talk to someone like me?" asked Baekhyun dejectedly.

"Yeah, why would he talk to you? Slob and shorty as you are. Hahaha." Chanyeol heartily slapping his palm to his thigh in laughter.

"Hey! Are you my friend or what? You're supposed to bolster my spirit not damage it!"

"I'm just telling the truth. Besides, even if you are those things, you're also cute and sweet. Smart and lovable. Hmmm... the lies a bestfriend tells."

Chanyeol got an elbow to his side for his teasing. "C'mon, be serious for a minute here." Baekhyun begged. "Do you really think I'll have a chance with Kris?"

Chanyeol heaved a great sigh and turned serious. "Baekhyunnie, you know you're a great guy. All you have to do is let Kris know it." He turned towards baekhyun and looked him in the eye. "The first thing you have to do is walk over to him and smile. You have a great smile. He'll be stumped."  Chanyeol flashed his own smile at his friend.

Baekhyun felt a little stumped himself when he saw that big, dorky smile. But he soon recovered. "Just like that, huh?"

"Yup, just like that." Chanyeol replied, his brown curls bouncing in time with his enthusiastic nodding.

Baekhyun still had misgivings but if Chanyeol said he can do it, who is he to disagree right? He had to admit that even if Channie is weird and most of the time is a derp, he is also one of the most popular guys in the school. Maybe it has something to do with his height which makes Baekhyun feel like a dwarf next to him. Or maybe its his great skin. Or maybe because of his wide grin and loud laugh. Or most probably its because if his sunny personality which makes everyone want to hug him. Baekhyun mentally shrugged. Up to this day he still can't believe that it was Chanyeol who came up to him that first day of freshman year and asked him to be his friend in that derpy way of his. But bestfriends they became and Chanyeol proved to be a great one. He is the only person who knows of his infatuation with Kris and puts up with his constant sighing and mooning lately. Even he himself doesn't recognize this moody and melancholy self of his.

"Well, OK. I'll do it." Baekhyun told Chanyeol who flashed him a thumbs up upon hearing his decision. "I'll do it after class so go on home without me."

"Yes, sir!" Chanyeol said with a salute. "I'll keep the dorm neat and all in place until you return!"

Baekhyun rolled his eyes. "Fine. Just.. Just wish me luck, ok?"

"Don't worry, Baekhyunnie. Just smile. I'll see you tonight."

 

 

 

Later that evening...

 

 

Chanyeol was looking alternately between his homework and the clock. It's almost 7, what's keeping baekhyun?

He stopped when he noticed that he was impatiently tapping his pen and has not gotten any further on his paper since he started it 2 hours ago. He's somehow feeling anxious and he doesn't know why. He stood up and paced. Well, I hope everything went okay.

What he said to baekhyun this afternoon was true. Baekhyun is a great guy. He's smart. He's cool and funny. Boy, can he make Chanyeol laugh. And he also has this great smile. It sorta lights up his face and makes you just want to be near him. That was why Chanyeol approached him during that first day of their freshman year. He saw baekhyun smile and he felt as if he was at home even if he was miles away from his family. And if Kris doesn't appreciate that then he was a fool, a stupid blind fool.

Chanyeol was startled out of his musings when he heard the door to their dorm open. He rushed out of the room and saw Baekhyun standing still and looking dazed.

"So, what happened?" Chanyeol asked his friend.

"What happened? Well, he.. I.. I smiled and.. He smiled and we smiled!" Baekhyun then burst out laughing, put his hands on Chanyeol's shoulders and began promptly to shake him. "He smiled. He.. Kris! Kris smiled!"

Chanyeol cannot help but grin at his friend's happiness. Even though baekhyun still hasn't stopped shaking him. What's a little dizziness when compared to Baekhyun's infectious laugh?

"So I get it. You both smiled. And then what?"

"Well, we talked a bit. If two hours is a bit. Haha!" baekhyun is still grinning from ear to ear. "He was on his way to get something to eat and asked me if I wanted to come so I did. And it was really great!"

"Well, I hope you didn't turn him off with how much you eat. Haha!" teased Chanyeol.

"Of course not! But Chanyeol. Really. It was great! Thanks for tellimg me to do this. I never knew.. just." Baekhyun smiled that special smile, gave Chanyeol a last squeeze and let go of him. "Just, thank you."

"Anything for you, baekhyunnie."  Chanyeol quietly said while watching baekhyun disappear to his room.  He was happy for his friend but he doesn't know why his chest felt a little too tight.

 

 

 

One week later...

 

 

 

"I've grown two heads and if that isn't creepy enough, one of them looks like you." baekhyun said while slumping on the sofa beside Chanyeol, who looks inordinately preoccupied with whatever he's watching.

"What?" Chanyeol looked at baekhyun. "You didn't. And you would be more handsome if you actually got my face!"

"Well, I'm glad to know you still hear me when I talk. We haven't spoken that much in a week and you're there giving more attention to the tv than me." Baekhyun complained sulkily.

"I've been busy and you've been busy going out with Kris and all." Chanyeol said returning his gaze to the screen.

"I know, i know." Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol's profile. He really did miss talking to him. And he knows it's partly his fault that he didn't get to hang out with his friend for the past week. He was always getting home late. He liked spending time with Kris and getting to know him better but he still feels the best when he's goofing around with Chanyeol. And he's not sure but since last week, Chanyeol's a bit distant than usual.

"Hey, Do we have a problem? I mean.. Are you kind of angry with me.. or something?" Baekhyun asks hesitantly.

"Are you kidding me? Of course not. Why would I be angry with you? Even though you have been neglecting me for the past week..." Chanyeol trailed off with a cheeky grin.

Baekhyun hit him with a throw pillow."Come off it! I didn't neglect you. Well, if ever I did I can make up for that today. I'm actually all yours this weekend." Baekhyun didn't make any plans with Kris for the weekend so he can spend it with his bestfriend.

Chanyeol turned off the tv and focused his attention to Baekhyun. "Really? All mine?"

Unexpectedly, baekhyun's heart skipped and tripped and somersaulted. ALL MINE.

"Yeah.. for this weekend. Sure."

"If you say so." Chanyeol flashed Baekhyun his derpy smile and Baekhyun's heart skipped and tripped and somersaulted all over again.

 

 

                                                ----oooooOOOOooooo----

 

 

Chanyeol was having the time of his, well, life. He was leisurely floating away after he just gave Baekhyun a dunking at the pool and his bestfriend was still flailing wildly and sputtering water everywhere.

"I'll get you for this!" Baekhyun sputtered, coughed and sputtered some more.

Chanyeol gave a whoop of laughter knowing he'll rile Baekhyun more with the sound. This was the best he felt in a week now. Ever since Baekhyun came home that night when he first talked to Kris, he wasn't able to breath easily. Like there's something lodged in his chest that he can't remove. He closed his eyes and sighed with contentment. Today, he felt light. He was floating literally and figuratively.

"Gotcha!" Baekhyun sprang up and pulled Chanyeol below the water. Now it was his turn to flail and sputter.

"Haha! Serves you right! Oh, vengeance is really sweet!" Baekhyun laughingly joked.

While Chanyeol was rubbing his eye from the sting of the pool water, he blindly turned to the sound of baekhyun's laughter, lunged for him and caught him in the arm.

"Just you wait!" Chanyeol threatened.

Baekhyun took pity on Chanyeol and helped his friend rub the water out of his eyes with his free hand and swept Chanyeol's hair upward.

Chanyeol couldn't move. One minute he was pretending to be blinded while plotting on his revenge and the next he was staring at Baekhyun smiling that special smile of his and feeling his hand on his face (Well, eyes but it's the same to him). His chest felt tight again. And then his heart skipped, tripped and somersaulted.

Chanyeol realized that Baekhyun was no longer smiling but was staring at him curiously and his hand was now slowly caressing his cheek in a dizzying, hypnotizing way.

As if awakened from a trance, Baekhyun shook his head, took his hand away and started to turn away.

"No." Chanyeol said instinctively. Feeling unexplainably panicked that he was going to loose this moment with Baekhyun, he caught Baekhyun's shoulder and turned him so they were face to face. At a loss for words and confused about what's happening, He touched his forehead to Baekhyun's. "I... Don't go."

 

Baekhyun doesn't know what's going on inside Chanyeol's pretty head. All he knows is that he can't move. It's been three years since they first met but how come he had never felt this way before. This overwhelming feeling to be close and then closer? Sure, there were times when they slept beside each other, too exhausted from school work to move from the sofa. Or times when they hugged after winning a basket ball game. But they have never been this close. Sharing the same breath and looking into each other's eyes, into one another's soul.  Never had he wanted anything than for time to stop so he can hold on to Chanyeol forever.

"Chanyeol...?" whispered Baekhyun.

"Baekhyunnie." And with that Chanyeol closed the distance and kissed him.

 

 

 

5 days after...

 

 

Baekhyun was nervous as he slid the key and opened the door to their dorm. He already broke it off with Kris. How could he possibly continue seeing him if he feels this strongly about Chanyeol? At first he thought what he felt for Kris was love but that was nothing compared to the feel of his and Chanyeol's arms around each other, the feeling of peace that came with it.

He can't stop thinking about last weekend and the decidely awkward end to their poolside trip. Chanyeol abruptly broke off the kiss, uttered a thousand I'm sorrys and hurriedly swam away, leaving Baekhyun dumbfounded and confused. After 5 days, (yes, a whopping 5 days!), Chanyeol still hasn't talked to him and he's getting desperate. Was he the only one who felt the earth shift when their lips touched? Was he the only one who felt that for the first time everything was right?

He purposefully skipped his last subject so he can come home earlier than Chanyeol so he can prepare his speech. His speech. How will he go about it again? Oh. Yeah, tell Chanyeol how they should be together and how he didn't like how he ignored him for this past week and how he's going to be sorry for ignoring baekhyun cause he's gonna make chanyeol pay for it dearly and... and... Can Chanyeol just please kiss him again because Baekhyun loves him. A lot.

Baekhyun paced, looked at the clock and paced some more. Chanyeol wasn't expecting him to be at home during this time so Baekhyun has the advantage of surprise. Chanyeol can't escape him this time. Baekhyun jumped at the sound of the door opening and rushed to meet his bestfriend.

"Chanyeol."

"Baekhyun!" Chanyeol looked surprised for a moment but quickly recovered and hid it with a smile. "What are you doing here early? Skipped class? Oh, boy. Returning to your old dirty ways huh?" Chanyeol teased with a forced laugh.

"We need to talk. About what happened..."

Chanyeol stopped laughing. "Believe me I know. I'm sorry about what happened."

"You are?"

"Yes. It shouldn't have happened. It was wrong. I really am sorry. I know how much you wanted Kris and I found out that you stopped seeing him. It's all my fault. I never should have kissed... Should've done that. But don't worry, I already started making it up to you. I talked with Kris this morning and explained how you were just probably confused and I told him that you really want him..." Chanyeol's voice trailed off as he saw the stricken look on Baekhyun's face.

"You said what? How dare you decide what I want or what I don't want? I don't want Kris. I want you. I love you. But I guess that was a mistake, huh?" Baekhyun said, hurt.

Chanyeol looked stunned. Baekhyun was suddenly tired. He thought Chanyeol felt something for him. He was really hoping that he felt the same way. But how can Chanyeol be in love with him if he was so willing to give Baekhyun away?

 

 

Chanyeol saw the hurt in Baekhyun's eyes as he walked past him and left the dorm. He stood there unmoving. It took a long moment for what happened to sink in. Chanyeol felt as if a huge brick just hit him between the eyes. Baekhyunnie loves... me?

"Baekhyun loves me." Chanyeol felt his feet move and he ran for the door. He ran and ran looking for Baekhyun. He loves me. Me!

Chanyeol laughed out loud and felt happiness spread through him even as his feet go numb from running. But he soon sobbered as he remembered how much he must have hurt Baekhyun. He was the stupid, blind fool!

Chanyeol wanted to find Baekhyun soon so he can tell him how stupid he was and how much he loves him. How much his smile means to him and how he makes him happy. He now understands that he started to fall in love with his friend 3 years ago when he first saw Baekhyun smile that special smile and he has been falling further in love with him everyday since.

"Baekhyun, where are you?" Chanyeol was feeling panicky again. He doesn't want another minute for Baekhyun to feel sad. Or more truthfully, he doesn't want to give Baekhyun another minute to have a change of heart. He already wasted 5 days as it is.

Up ahead he saw a lone figure walking, a sad slump to his shoulders.

"Baekhyun! Baekhyunnie!"

Baekhyun stopped walking and looked back. Upon seeing Chanyeol, he started walking again.

"Wait! Don't go! Please. Don't go." Chanyeol pleaded.

Baekhyun stopped again and this time Chanyeol was able to reach him. He moved infront of Baekhyun and held on to his shoulders.

"You know the first time you told me not to go, I stayed. But you were the one who left." Baekhyun said quietly.

"I know. I didn't really want to go. But as stupid as I am, I thought.. I thought you were in love with somebody else."

"I held onto you, I kissed you back and you thought I was in love with somebody else?"

"You can punish me everyday for that piece of stupidity. Just please don't give up on me. I really love you. I feel so lucky everytime you smile at me cause you were doing it just for me. I was jealous when you told me you liked Kris. When I told you to smile at him, I wanted to take the words back  cause I realized you were also gonna show him your special smile but I want it to just be mine. I want you just to be mine."

Baekhyun felt it start all over again. The skipping, the tripping and the somersaulting. The kind he only feels when he is with Chanyeol.

"You know what Kris said when I told him that I couldn't see him anymore?"

"What?" Chanyeol asked expentantly.

"He told me that he knew it was coming, after all he said that I only smile that special smile when I'm with you."