Who Knew

Less of a Deception

 

Saturday, 5:41 pm

 

Both of us sat silently on one of the benches of the local park. The sun almost buried as its orange glimmer filled the velvet sky. Though the sun has passed us by, we stood still and stared blankly from afar, each afraid to speak from last night’s open ended conversation.

 

How long have we been like this? I mean, Chanyeol and I have been dating for a year now and I think this relationship is at its peak. By that, I mean that we are now at the stage where lovers would eventually get tired of each other and end up cutting the strings between us.

 

To be honest, I am getting kind of…bored? We hang out, yeah. But that’s about it. We walk home from school, he treats me for a cup of latte and sometimes takes for a late night stroll with me but we really don’t feel like much of a lover than friends – to which I sometimes have heavy feelings about.

 

Last night; the night I decided to break up with him turned into something much more complicated than that and it shocked me to the point that I almost couldn’t believe it happened.

 

 

“I have something to tell you,” I said as I took a step further and turned to look at him. His eyes were soft and he had a weak smile creeping on his lips which made it a lot difficult for me to tell him how I really feel about our dying relationship.

 

“I have something to tell you, too, but you go first,” he spoke with a deep and husky voice while looking at me through his glasses.

 

The wind felt strange as if marking the awkward silence that encompassed both of us. My words were stuck in my throat and I can’t seem to bring myself to even face him after this but I figured it would be best for the both of us anyway.

 

His palm flew over his black hair when he muttered, “Well?” I gulped and looked at him. He seemed to have expected this since he was also a bit edgy tonight.

 

“Well…”

 

“What is it?”

 

“Chanyeol, I’m breaking up with y—you,” my words stuttered, immediately dropping my eyes to the ground. I felt so ashamed and bad for him but instead of getting angry, Chanyeol let out a large sigh and placed a hand on my shoulder.

 

“I’m sorry… I – we,” I tried to explain but he cut me off with a gentle smile on his face.

 

“I understand. I would have said the same thing.”

 

“Wait. What?” My eyes grew with shock as I heard him say those words. I was expecting rage, anger, hatred, or even Chanyeol begging on his knees but that would be pathetic. The tables had turned?!

 

This… This is something I rather didn’t imagine as I planned the whole break up the night before.

 

“I have never really been completely honest with you,” he paused and pursed his lips, leaving me dumbfounded of what he was talking about.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“I’m sorry that I can’t repay the feelings you had for me ever since we were together,” he lowered his head and placed his hand on his chest. “I guess I couldn’t really love you like how any boy should do.”

 

“Are you saying you love somebody else?”

 

He lifted his eyes and met mine. For a moment, I thought I saw hesitance  lingering in his two black orbs. He scrunched his nose, breathing heavily with each second passing by.

 

“Y—yes, I already loved someone...before I met you and I honestly wanted to end our relationship but seeing you so happy, I can’t seem to bring myself to take that away from you,” he explained but I shook my head in disbelief. After a year?  He’d just leave it at that and now he’s telling me he never really loved me?

 

“Who is she?” I demanded with a stern tone, making him step back and look at me intently.

 

“It’s not a she… it’s a he.

 

Did I hear it right? Tell me I didn’t hear it right?

 

“You’re kidding right?”

 

“It’s Baekyun.”

 

My jaws literally dropped after hearing my brother’s name. It shocked me to the point that my mind almost went blank, making everything seem like they don’t make sense anymore.

 

“Byun Baekyun? My Brother, Byun Baekyun?!”

 

“I’m sorry. Really, I am. I’m sorry that it took me almost a year to tell you this but I—,” his words were cut through. I didn’t let him finish and left without even listening to what he had to say that night.

 

Last night was another sleepless one. I could help but think about what happened. Can you believe it? Chanyeol, one of the cool guys at school, is actually gay? And now I’m sitting here with him on the local park.

 

“Just so you know, I loved you… as a friend or more like my sister,” he said softly, garnering another awkward moment for us.

 

“So… Baekyun Oppa huh?

 

“Yeah…”

 

“How long has it been?”

 

“Since trainee days,” he explained.

 

“Wow…”

 

“I know. You probably hate me, don’t you?”

 

I shook my head lightly and smiled. After all, I can’t do anything about it anymore. “Not really. I’m just shocked how parallel both of us are. I mean, before, I thought your good taste of clothes and how you take too much care for your skin was just a little feminine and how we both like doing the same girly stuff but now… I guess I feminine could be an understatement.” 

 

“I really didn’t mean it, I swear!”

 

“I would have probably done the same thing if I were you,” I said while chuckling at myself.

 

“Do you forgive me?”

 

“As long as you wont stop becoming my friend then I will.” A wide grin cracked his upside down crescent smile as I chuckle at my own words.

 

Maybe I was fooled and he has hid it from me, even used me so he could get close to my brother but a friend is still a friend no matter who they are. Chanyeol has always been there for me and he has given me love though now the love I had expected.

 

Perhaps being best friends with him is the best for the both of us after all.

 

 

 

 




 

 

 This has been a random one so I hope all of you were not disappointed or anything like that. Really sorry for the trouble :D

WORDS: 1,067