01

The Heir's Muse 2: Battlefield

Minjae’s POV

It has been exactly three days since the Guardians and Kimin went back to their kingdom and forgetting to close the portal which was still open in my room. After they left, I usually hang out with Ren, Minhyun, and JR, especially during free periods and breaks. Honestly, I didn’t have that much friends in school since I’m not part of the popular crowd. I used to be part of the ‘bullied’ kids but they stopped bullying me two years ago after Baekho started threatening them, I think he did that so he could be the only person to bully me.

Today, all the students are gathered in the auditorium for an assembly that was organized by the school council. The school festival was a month’s away and I bet they’re going to announce what contests would be held so the ones interested would have to start preparing already. Last year, we had a cross-dress competition and guess who won? No other than Ren. That pretty guy.

We also had a dance competition where Baekho and his friends joined. They won second place.

“Hey, Minjae!” I turned around after someone had called my name, a smile appearing on my face after realizing who called me. It was no other than the student council president, Jinyoung. He’s been a good friend of mine since my freshman year; he’s now in his graduating year.

Behind him stood four of his other friends, two of them were part of the student council too. The youngest was Gongchan, he’s in my year. CNU is the school council vice-president. Sandeul is the secretary. The last one, Baro, oh well, he’s just a popular kid. I guess you could say that they’re a kind group.

“Hey, Jinyoung.” I chuckled as we bumped our fists. “Are you guys sitting on the front row? I can’t find Ren and the others.”

I told Ren to go ahead since I had to go to the bathroom and when I got here in the auditorium, I couldn’t find them through the hoard of students.

“Oh, I saw them in the back, but you can seat with us!” Sandeul said a bit excitedly. He linked his arms with mine and started dragging me away. “Yah, it’s been awhile since you’ve talked to us. You’re always talking with those new guys, huh?” He said as we sat on the front row seats, I noticed that some other females students were giving us looks but I just shrugged them off. We’re only friends and I know I’m not doing anything wrong.

“A lot of things have happened lately,” I said. “How could I make it up for you?”

“Oh, that…” He furrowed his eyebrows as he thought. Jinyoung, CNU, Baro, and Gongchan took their seats beside us. “Let’s go hang out in the ice cream place after class. It’s also been awhile since the guys and I hang out outside together, ah, I sometimes hate being in the student council.”

“Psh. Says someone who’s practically bragging about his rank.” Baro said, earning a glare from Sandeul. “Just kidding, hyung! But I’m joining in!”

“Me too.” Gongchan grinned.

“Me three.” Jinyoung and CNU said at the same time, they blinked at each other before laughing. Honestly, I missed hanging out with them too. They used to defend me from bullies even before Baekho did.

“The program’s about to start, I’ll be back.” Jinyoung said as he went backstage.

Kimin’s POV

It has been a few days and for today, the chaos had suddenly stopped. The people of EXO are curious to why the people from BAP stopped attacking. Baekhyun said that they might be up to something and that they shouldn’t put their guards down.

The Guardians and I went around town to help clean up the mess with the other people. Because they had powers, their houses were immediately rebuilt and fixed.

Baekhyun’s father, the king of the kingdom, was missing in action, which made me curious. Why was Baekhyun doing the entire job? I haven’t even seen him ever since my arrival.

“Baekhyun, Baekhyun! I have news!” I blinked at the person who came running to our direction. If we were in Earth, I’d say he’s Chinese. The thing about him though is that he looked like he hadn’t taken sleep for a few days. The bags under his eyes were really dark and if I could give him a nickname, I would call him Panda. When he saw me, his eyes widened as he bowed before turning to Baekhyun again. “We’ve sent some people to see what’s up with them and they said that the other princes weren’t there anymore.”

“What?” The frown on Baekhyun’s forehead grew deeper. If the princes of BAP aren’t present here, then that means…that means they could be on land right now. My eyes widened as I remembered Minjae because if they went to attack Baekhyun, they shouldn’t be there on land right now. “Tao, send Kris, Kai, Chen, and Chanyeol back to land right now. Tell them what the reason is.” The guy, whose name is apparently Tao, bowed down before he started running again. “Don’t worry, your friend and family would be safe,” Baekhyun muttered over his shoulder.

“But I need to be there too! You can’t stay here if the attacker is up there!” I said as I clenched my fists. I sighed in exasperation as I turned to leave, only to be held back by him.

“No, you’d be staying right here with me.”

“But I—“

“I said no. You need to be here with me.” He repeated his self as his grip on my wrist tightened, I winced. “Minjae and the rest of your family would be safe.”

I furrowed my eyebrows as I silently agreed though I had planned to ask Luhan later to let me use the portal. I quietly followed behind Baekhyun as we went to finish the last part of the town.

Minjae’s POV

So the events for the school festival were a dance competition and a photography contest. Ha, I’d be sure to register for the photography contest. Ever since my dad gave me a SLR on my middle school graduation, I had loved taking pictures. I received lots of praises about it that’s why I had thought of taking up photography for college.

As promised, I went to the ice cream parlor with Sandeul, Jinyoung, Gongchan, CNU, and Baro after class. When we entered the shop, someone caught my attention. The guy I met on the convenience store was sitting with five other guys on the seats nearest the door.

“Do you know them?” Gongchan asked, I think he noticed I was staring at them as we lined up to order. I just shrugged. “Hey, what’d you like? I’d order it for you so could already sit. Just pay me next time.” I looked at the menu and chose the cheapest for a chocolate flavored ice cream. After I said it to him, I chose the seat on the other side nearest the door. I was like sitting across them except that the door was our barrier.

I think the guy had noticed me and when our eyes met, I awkwardly smiled and waved. His other friends turned to glance at me and I did the same to them.

“You know them?” Baro asked as he finally went to seat with me with his banana split. I chuckled as he quickly dug in and when he asked me the question, there was a bit of the chocolate syrup on the side of his mouth. “What?”

“You got chocolate on the side of your mouth.”

He started wiping the side of his mouth but it was on the other side. I can’t help but chuckle slightly, remembering scenes like this on dramas. Sandeul came and smacked the back of his head, saying that he’s like a child who eats messily.

“Are you going to join the photography contest?” CNU asked as soon as everyone had settled down. Gongchan grinned after he handed me what I had wanted to order.

“Yeah, I wonder who’d be joining the dance contest, are you guys joining?”

“Oh we can’t. We’re part of the school council and people might think of it the wrong way. How about your new friends?” Jinyoung asked and I just shrugged. I doubt those boys would agree, I haven’t seen them dance nor have seen them taking photos. “After the school festival, it’d be the finals and then my graduation, yay.” He made a face, making us laugh.

“Why don’t you just audition for some company, hyung? You have the looks, the brains plus the talent.” Gongchan suggested.

“My parents would…they would… they would kill me if I do that. Hey, Minjae, are you sure you don’t know them?” I raised my eyebrows and glanced at the direction of where the guys were sitting earlier. This time, they were all looking at us and I bet it crept out Jinyoung.

“I’ve only talked to one of them once.” I muttered.

“Oh well, we should hurry before they creep me out even more.”

Daehyun’s POV

“Are you sure she’s the muse they’re talking about?” Yongguk asked as we followed the girl and his friends out of the ice cream parlor. I merely shrugged as I wore my mask which covered half of my face.

“What if it was her friend?” Zelo said. “Because if it was her, they wouldn’t leave her alone out here in the open, right?”

“I don’t know, let’s just follow her around.” I said. “Yah, Youngjae, where’s the invisibility power you were bragging about?”

“Eh…?” I narrowed my eyes at him as he brought out a small notebook, I think it was a list of what he needed to chant for some of his powers to work. “. Jongup, what did you do to my notebook last night?”

“It was not me!” Jongup said defensively. “Himchan was the one holding it!”

“Shut up, guys.” Yongguk rolled his eyes. “Look! Where is she now?!”

We looked around and damn, we lost sight of her. We hurried decided to go to the alley and when we rounded the corner; her friends and her were waiting and frowning at us.

“What are you guys doing?” The blonde guy said. “You’re stalking her, aren’t you?”

“Stalking who?” Himchan spoke up. “We don’t even know you, guys.”

“What school are you guys from?” The red-haired guy said and we all exchanged glances. The rest of the boys just stared at me and I thought quickly, muttering the name of the school nearby.

“Junsang High School.”