The New Neighbor

Living with Your Shadow

 

A dark shadow is squatting on the roof of an old apartment, he observes the situation on the street below from the roof. His face is expressionless, his eyes sharp and dark. He is seeing some shadows like him, wandering with pale face, walking without direction. Suddenly the wind blow around him, and the other a dark shadow, standing beside him.
 
"Wonnie, the leader is looking for you " said the shadow, who had just arrived. He flapped his black wings back of his shoulder.
"Heenim, do you think I am going to fail ?" asked the shadow is squatting, named Wonnie.
"Your time is about two weeks later, you should be more focused or you'll disappear just like a dust" said the shadow that called Heenim.
"Maybe it will be better if I disappear like a dust, rather than as the ghost who failed run the command" Wonnie replied in a tone of despair.
"Wonnie, you still have time in two weeks, you should find the answer of that command, and you'll be back to the place, where you're belong " Heenim looks at Wonnie sharply." You are more precious than us, we are immortal, we must stay in here until He destroys us all ".
Wonnie looks into the street below which increasingly silent and dark.
"Wonnie, better you are going to see the leader. I have to go. I am sure that you'll find the answer of it " said Heenim, he flies, disappeared in a flash.
Wonnie is silent for a moment, he finally stood up, turned and disappeared.
 
" Leader , did you call me ? " asked Wonnie, he is entering the big room of their leader, he bows deeply.
"Wonnie, I know what you're talking with Heenim just now. You know that you have been welcome in our community because you're different from others who same as like you" replied the leader, with a heavy tone and echoes. He is tall and large shadow, with red horns on his head.
"I know, leader " said Wonnie short, he's still a deep bow.
"You were sent here, because He knows that the answer is here" said the leader again.
"But the time given to me to stay is about two weeks again, leader. I still do not know what I mean to be returned to this world again" replied Wonnie.
"Wonnie, use the rest of your time , to find the answer of it!" said the leader firmly.
"Thank you, leader. I'll try " answered Wonnie, he walked backwards, bowed and disappeared.
 
---------------------------------------
 
 
" Wookie, do you know if we have a new neighbor in apartment ? " Yesung asked, he had just got home.
" I heard about him from Hae this morning, but I haven't meet him"  answered the man who called Wookie, without looking at Yesung, he is busy tasting the dishes for their dinner, which was just ripe.
" I had met him in the hallway, a young man, he's about 20s, high posture , but his face is pale. Seems he is very quiet, and strangely he's like a little scared" Yesung said, frowning.
" Maybe because he is still new in here , and feels odd in this old apartment, I would say hello to him tomorrow" said Wookie, he turned toward Yesung. "Please help me prepare the dinner table, I invited Hae to join the dinner with us ".
" That's good! I have not seen Hae since last month. He is always busy chasing the news!" Yesung said, laughing. "But I want to get shower first before dinner, my body is sweating"
"Okay, do not take it so long " Wookie said, while lifting the pan from the stove.
 
Wonnie is sitting, watching the couple - Yesung and Wookie, he enjoys to spend time at their apartment. Wookie is his cousin, when he was still alive.
Wookie's parents died in an accident when he was aged 15 years. Wookie was abandoned in an orphanage before Wonnie found him, he's a brat and a drug user, he felt despair when lose his parents. Wonnie asked Wookie to stay with him, helping him to recover from the drug dependence. Fortunately, the condition of Wookie was not too bad, so he can quickly recover.
But what Wonnie did to Wookie, must be paid the expensive price of it with his life. He was died, after someone stabbed him in the street when he came home from work to his apartment, on a cold night in November, two months ago.
But his death has not been accepted, he still has the task that he must find the answer within 2 months, and if he fails, he will disappear into dust. Wonnie think the task of protecting Wookie from the man who killed him , but after he saw Wookie life is getting better, after he found a man who loves and cares of him, Yesung. But Wonnie still not called to return to the place where he belongs. Yesung works as administrative employee in a small firm. Wookie met him several time in apartment also in subway , but they got closer when Yesung visited Wookie to give condolences in Woonie's funeral at that time. Then they fell in love, Yesung helps Wookie to rise from grief and guilt.
The bell is ringing in the apartment of Wookie and Yesung , Wookie is walking rush to the door to open it.
 
"Hello Hae! Please come in. Yesung is still getting shower " said Wookie welcoming their guest who named Hae. Hae smiles and kisses Wookie's cheeks, he brings a bottle of wine. Hae is Wonnie's best friend who lives in same apartment with them , he is a reporter at the local newspaper. He is always busy looking for news, so he rarely returned to the apartment. But he always found time to visit Wookie and Yesung when he came home, they are one of his best friend. Even Hae also tried to dig the news to know who killed Wookie, but the police warned him to not go too far of it , because it was so dangerous. They alleged that Wonnie killed by the supplier of drug gangster. Then after Wonnie died, Hae always accompany Wookie. He was afraid that Wookie will be desperate and take a shortcut to end his life, because he feels guilty about the death of Wonnie. He knew from Wonnie if Wookie is very weak, he is easily influenced. Hae was grateful when Wookie introduced him with Yesung, a man who loved Wookie, and they end up living together in that apartment also.
 
" Wow! The smell is so delicious! What are you cooking tonight, Wookie ? " asked Hae, they are walking to dinning table.
" I am making Japchae and kimchi" Wookie replied, putting a dish that he had prepared on the table.
" Really ? You make a little party with pretty fancy dishes? What are we celebrating ? " asked Hae, laughing.
" Hahhahaha ... we are celebrating that you still remember to go home and visit us! We did not see you so long time, since last month " Wookie said, then he is quiet suddenly. " If ... Wonnie is also here with us ... " he said , sadly.
" Wookie , Wonnie is happy now , we still remember and pray for him " Hae is trying to cheer up Wookie.
" Hello Hae, how are you ? Well ... you're look so thin!" said Yesung, he just got out of the room after changing clothes.
" Hello Yesung hyung, you know how my job, sometimes I forget to eat" said Hae smiled , shook Yesung's hand.
" Hahaha .. you have to find someone who can take care of you soon! So he can make you fat and happy" Yesung said, glancing at the Wookie, tenderly. Wookie stuck his tongue out, pretend pouting, but he is very happy.
" I'm jealous of you! I think you're right, Yesung hyung. I have to find someone who could take care of me like Wookie does to you! " Hae said with a serious face. And they all laughed.
" Hae, have you met our new neighbor? " asked Wookie.
" I just met him when on the way to come here, but he was in hurry going inside. Like he tried to avoid, while I want to say hello" Hae said.
" That's right! Like I said to Wookie !" Yesung said "I also find it strange to see his attitude, such as avoidance and fear "
" I think he just feels odd. Understandably this apartment is old, sometimes there are strange things, but nevertheless we are happy to stay here" Wookie replied with a laugh. Yesung and Hae agree, they also do not know why they feel comfortable in this apartment. Though the building is old, and sometimes they feel a strange air around them, but they also feel that something always take care of them.
" Let's eat, I'm hungry" Yesung said, sitting at the dinner table.
 
Wonnie rose from his seat, he suddenly disappeared. He wanted to know about their new neighbor was they're talking about, he wanted to visit him. Wonnie appear at new neighbor's apartment room. There is not a lot of stuffs , only 1 sofa, a table and three chairs, lights in the room is not bright. Then 1 bed, 1 closet and a television on the table in front of the bed. Wonnie is looking at a young man with brown fluffy hairs , high posture, pale skin, sitting on the bed with hugging his legs. He is staring at the wall with blank eyes. But he has beautiful face, like an angel, thought Wonnie. His pale face blends harmoniously with his round eyes, orange lips , and a good nose.
Wonnie is walking toward him, his eyes are staring at that young man, he is sitting on the bed, his face close to his. Wonnie wants to know, what that guy thinks in his mind. But suddenly, that man is jerked, he is very shock. He looks at right and left, and then looking forward, his face is paler than before. Wonnie also surprised when that young man suddenly jerked, he drifted back a few steps, while still looking at that man's face in front of him.
"Wwhh.. who are you ?" He asked suddenly, looking frightened.
Wonnie is surprised with the question, he tries to come closer with hesitate, he noticed that his face was pretty close.
"Huh! Who are you? What are you? Do not play with me!" The man suddenly shouting, he is jumping out of bed.
Wonnie is looking at him in surprise. Does he feel my presence here ? He thought. For the first time there is someone who can feel his presence. Wookie and Hae, as well as Yesung , the people who had close to him, they never knew of the presence that Wonnie among them.
Wonnie wants to approach him again, but he thinks that better he doesn't do that , because that man's face is paler and frightened. That man is walking into the bathroom, he washes his face in the sink. Then looked at his face in the glass sink, his eyes sharp, like he sees and speak with someone in the glass.
"Who are you? Why is your face always haunt me? I do not know you! Who are you ??!? " that young man is screaming, he hits the glass in front of him, and crying.
Wonnie just stopped to see it all, he feels strange, but he also feels the warm air around it. Something in his mind trying to get out, while watching a man crying in front of him, seems he is from Wonnie's past. But Wonnie can't remember him.