Pinky Promise to be my Oppa

I Can Fly

Cute big brown eyes stared at me.

 

"Hey you!" the owner of those eyes almost shouted at me.
 

"Wha-you-me?" I stuttered. She was so abrupt, even though she was obviously younger.
 

"Well yeah, who else would I be talking to?" she stated, not unkindly.
 

She was right. We were the only two children here. Our mothers were very close friends, they had gone to school together. Our fathers went to college and started a business together when they graduated, so they were coworkers and long time friends also.They were visiting us in Canada, telling them they would bring their child too, so while we played they could catch up. The problem was, the last time we met, she could barely even speak, she was still so young. Now we're both in grade school, I'm in third and she's in first.
 

"Well you speak so rudely, how can you talk to me like that? I'm older than you, show some respect," I said defensively, even though I could tell by her innocent eyes she hadn't meant to offend me.
 

"Oh," she said, looking like she was about to cry from my assault on her, "joesonghapnida o-oppa." She looked so sad and cute with her head hanging down a little and her shoulders slumped, her eyes would dart up every few seconds to see if I was mad. She looked like she did this a lot, I immediately felt bad.
 

"Yah don't cry it's okay. I'm sorry I yelled," I muttered, awkwardly patting her head.
 

"Nnngg," she made a noise trying to swallow her tears.
 

"Hey, I said sorry okay? Do you wanna play? You don't have to speak respectfully to me I'm not that much older," I said, trying to console her.
She quickly pulled herself together. Her eyes were pink and she set her face hard so she wouldn't cry. She nodded and followed me to the backyard. "You can call me Wu Fan, by the way," I said.
 

"I'm EunMi," she replied.
 

We ran around a lot, climbing the big tree and pretending like we were different types.
 

"Hey I can fly!" I shouted to her at one point.
 

"Really?" she said in awe, totally believing me, "Oppa will you show me? Pleeeaase?"
 

Stupid, I thought. I jumped before I could chicken out. I grabbed onto another branch, something hard and sharp slicing my hand. I yelped and let go, the ground rushing up to me and the sky falling away. I slammed into the ground with a crack, and I didn't feel anything for a second, just saw the clear blue sky through the leaves and branches of the tree that I had fallen from. So pretty, I thought. Then those same, big eyes appeared in my vision, filled with worry. I could sense the pain coming, like sensing someone about to scare you, then turning and they do it, and even though you know it's going to happen, the pain still hit hard. Tears sprung into my eyes and flowed out at the same time as her eyes filled with tears, but those eyes didn't cry. Instead they were strong.
 

"I'm sorry Oppa. I got you into this. I'm gonna be strong for you-I promise," she said. With that, she lifted me up under my arms and slung my good hand over her shoulder to support me. I was still crying, it hurt so bad, but she stood shakily. She half-guided, half-dragged me to the door, where she managed to open it a little and call out for help, I was hurt.

We drove to the hospital, and she sat beside me the whole way. I had a broken arm, and they set it and put on a cast. They said it would take a few months to heal at most, but it would be okay after that. I had to stay for a night, so they could make sure nothing moved around. She walked in when the doctor left and sat on my bed quietly.
 

"How are you Oppa?"
 

"I'm alright," I answered, "you know you don't have to call me that?"
 

"Ne, Oppa, but I want to," she said, "I'm sorry. I was stupid to tell you to do that."

"No," I said quickly, feeling bad for thinking she was stupid, "I was the one that did it and you helped me when I got hurt." She nodded. "But you know," I murmured, "people can't fly."

"But can't I still dream?" she cocked her head a little and her lips lifted in a tiny smile.

"When you're this age you can," I lectured, "but sooner or later you have to grow up."

"Ne," she said, obviously my words had gone through one ear and out the other. "Anyways I was wondering," she said, growing shy, "if you could be my Oppa? We could take care of each other. Like friends or siblings." She blushed and smiled cutely.
 

I was surprised with this offer but said yes. She stuck out her pinky to me and I stared for a second, then extended the one on my left hand and we curled them around each other.
 

"Promise?"
 

"Promise."