For Blood and Pianos

For Blood and Pianos

“No! Please!” Bang. In an instant, red crimson blood painted the brick walls of the small alley; it looked like a Jackson Pollock painting if you took out the corpse that supplies the thick paint that used to keep the man alive.

 

The murderer continued to look at his work- blood, corpse and all. He loomed over it, as to establish that he was superior even though the latter was inanimate. He lowered his gun and walked away, not bothering to wipe away the left-over blood that had splattered on his face or black leather jacket. It was late, or early morning; People were in bed, dreaming in peace unlike the nightmare that had just occurred and continued to trail as the killer walked away, free.

 

The killer reached his lair, stepped inside and called his client to inform them of a successful mission. They continued to talk, discussing and negotiating of transactions that get the former through the day. They bid each other farewell, the client satisfied and the killer emotionless.

 

Silence engulfed the small room, giving peace to even the most guilty. Lee Taemin sighed and closed his eyes, getting lost in childhood memories that contained pure innocence until it was all taken away.

 

----------

 

“Noona!” A little boy, age 10 at most, ran toward his older female playmate.

 

“Hey, Taeminnie!” replied the girl. She was about 1 year older. Bright and playful, giving smiles to everyone she knew. Respectful and slightly unrestrained, Sulli and Taemin became friends instantly. While Taemin felt bullied at times, he knew that Sulli had good intentions.

 

“Hello, Sulli-noona. How are you?”

 

“I’m good. What do you feel like doing today, Taemin-ah?”

 

They talked for hours, walked around the neighborhood, stopped at the playground like little kids always do, and chased the ice cream truck when it called. It was nearing the end of the day, the sun over the horizon and the sky painted orange like in impressionist paintings. Taemin, having known the Choi family ever since he was born, was treated like a second child to them. Sulli had the same treatment with the Lee family. Both were over each other houses a countless number of times, coming over again today made no difference.

 

They reached Sulli's home and entered, only to find the inside destroyed. Vases were on the ground, shattered into a million pieces, and the flowers that had filled them were now imprinted with footprints. Mirrors and lamps were no longer in their correct places, pillows showed their fluffy insides and couch cushions were misplaced.

 

Taemin looked at the mess with wide eyes, not able to speak as shock overpowered all emotions. Sulli ran, hoping to find her parents safe and sound. She ran past the living room and into the kitchen. She found her parents, but they were on the floor, bleeding, and the intruder standing over them with his gun still pointed at the fallen.

 

“Mom! Dad!” Sulli screamed.

 

She jumped on the culprit, attempting to banish him like the dragon would in fairy tales, but Sulli was lifted and thrown to the ground. She tried to get up, only to hear a loud bang and pain erupt from her legs an lower back. Piercing screams soon followed.

 

Taemin shouted her name, drawing attention to himself. Another bang. Taemin was shot in the shoulder, just above his collar bone. He slumped to the floor in pain. His eyes trailed up the face of the one who caused all this. There was no emotion, just a cold hard stare. Taemin burned that face into his memory before watching the back of the man walk away free.

 

It turned black.

 

///////

 

The slow beeping of a machine could be heard as Taemin slowly regained consciousness. The bright lights strained his eyes. They were so bright he felt blind. The stark white rooms maintained his calm state, but the smell of medicine filled his nose, and his dry mouth tasted like plastic.

 

He tried moving, but instantly stopped and winced in pain due to his shoulder. Bandages wrapped around his upper torso, but he could just imagine the scar that will he left behind. He remained still, and then he realized. Panic hit him like a fright train. What happened to ahjussi? What happened to ahgassi? What happened to noona? Taemin continued to panic until the door opened, revealing the nurse. She was surprised to see Taemin awake. She progressed with the mandatory check ups, asking if he needed anything, changing what needed to be, telling him that his parents would be there soon to see him. But Taemin couldn't respond. He was still worried about the Chois and if they were even alive. He knew he would have to wait, but he was already impairment.

 

His parents came in as fast as they could when they heard their son was awake. Taemin, now fully aware of the situation, was now able to talk with the people he was most comfortable with.

 

“Ahjussi and Ahgassi are okay, they just need to rest. Sulli is still sleeping. But she should be okay.”

 

Taemin felt some weight lift from his small shoulders. He was able to rest. Days past, which consisted of healing, and talking with the police. Taemin was healthy enough that he could finally walk around to stretch out his weakened legs. He would always go to Sulli's room hoping and praying that she'd be awake. But no one was allowed in, so he could only observes throught the large piece of transparent plastic that seperated them. There was no change however.

 

It was that time again, and Taemin looked over Sulli’s unconscious body through the large window. Anger, red-hot boiling anger slowly overflowed Taemin’s mental state. He balled his fist tightly, to the point where his knuckles turned the same stark white of the walls.

 

Why? Why did this have to happen?

 

Taemin knew that Sulli would wake up, but her potential was now limited in society’s eyes. He knew that the chances of her walking again was next to impossible, not when she was shot in both legs and the lower back where the nerves are sensitive.

 

The up and down of Sulli’s chest strengthen Taemin’s resolve. There was still some hope. Only until she wakes up do they know if she’s forever damned to a wheelchair. He swore then and there he would do anything to help, even if he would become the devil and murder the man with the hard glare.

 

-----------

 

Taemin woke up. He fell asleep without knowing. It was morning and the birds were chirping, the sun bright and warm. He silently cursed and checked the time. 10:24 am. Good, I’m not late he thought. He got ready for the day, changing into comfortable clothing. No one could have suspected that he was splattered with blood from last night. He went out the door after locking it to meet the one person who provided him happiness.

 

Minutes later, he arrived at the hospital and went to Sulli’s assigned room, entering since Sulli was already awake. She was bedridden after the accident. The only way she could walk again was with a very expensive surgery. Taemin dedicated his life to revenge, and raising enough money for the operation. He did this in secret of course. He moved out of the house as soon as he could, but also stayed close to home so his parents wouldn’t worry. Each night, he would go out and hunt down targets that were in some way related to the man all those years ago. But so far, he hasn’t found a solid lead.

 

But Taemin finally raised enough money for Sulli’s treatment. Today was the day, roughly starting in the afternoon. It would be a long process that consisted of waiting and more waiting. Taemin let himself in the hospital, knowing where Sulli's room was. He knew the hospital like the back of his hand now.

 

“Taeminie! Good morning!” Sulli said upon Taemin’s arrival. She had a bright smile, as bright as the sun, despite her current condition and situation. Taemin exchanged her morning greeting with his own. His lips curved slightly upwards due to Sulli’s energy.

 

“So, you ready for today?” Taemin asked. He wanted her to be as comfortable as possible.

 

“I guess. I mean, I won’t feel anything since I’ll be knocked out, but it’s still scary. The thought of some some stranger poking inside my body even if they’re helping me creeps me out,” Sulli pouted.

 

Taemin laughed. She did have a point, but her pout was still as adorable and childish as ever. It was hard to imagine that Sulli was the older one out of the two. But Taemin changed drastically over the years. He became extremely mature for his age. It happens in his line of work. He built up a hard exterior to do his job effectively, not letting emotions interfere with his set plan. The only one who could enter the walls of his heart was the broken but strong girl on the hospital bed. He spoke up.

 

“Tell you what: during your recovery, I’ll bring in a keyboard every now and then to play for you. You just have to focus on getting better, without being reckless.”

 

Sulli’s face instantly brightened even more. She looked like a small child in a candy store. The energy emitting from her was warm and cheerful. Sulli loved Taemin’s piano playing, even when he had trouble and didn’t know how to play. She still stood by and listened. They played on the piano together and he taught her a few notes or two. A good portion of their memories happened on the piano, and some of them were Sulli’s favorite.

 

“Really?! You promise?!”

 

Taemin laughed at her eagerness.

 

“Yes, noona.”

 

“Then you have to promise me! You’re not allowed to break promises, Taemin-ah!”

 

Sulli grabbed Taemin’s hand, and linked their pinkies together. Sulli’s smile was huge. Taemin looked at her and his own smile widen. Sooner or later, the time came for Sulli to undergo surgery. Taemin stayed with her as long as he could. But nonetheless, he had to leave. He gave her some words of encouragement, and stared at the retreating figures, which soon disappeared behind the door. He left after, ready to wait and continue his job.

 

-------------

 

Taemin came back to the hospital hours later. Usually by this time, he would be hunting down people for a client. But he could spare a day to visit his friend. He enter the hospital, the air a little different from when he entered earlier today. It was slightly calmer with less people coming and going. He saw the Chois were about to leave and stayed to chat. The operation was a success he was told. Taemin was extremely relieved. Now all they had to do was wait for Sulli to recovery and go through therapy, and everything should go back to the way they were supposed to.

 

Taemin bid the Chois goodnight after their talk. He headed towards Sulli's room. Visiting hours were over, so the only thing he could do was look through the window, like he did in the past. He started to wonder if he should quit while he's ahead and not continue with his plan for revenge. There was no point- the Chois were healed, he was alive, and Sulli will recover. He stayed a bit longer before leaving. He had to find a place that sold keyboards.

 

-------------

 

Sull sat there pouting. Where's Taemin-ah? Sulli wondered. It was the next day, and Sulli had her beauty sleep. After going through the regular after-surgery checkups, she was patiently waiting for a certain Lee. Her parents had stepped out for lunch. Sulli was growing impatient though, and was just about to give Taemin a mouthful as soon as she sees him.

 

Sulli heard the door open. It was Taemin. She was about to yell how about late he was until she saw him carying something large. Curiosity took over as she saw Taemin ignore her and set the bag on the floor. He opened it up, revealing the newly bought keyboard. He only had a grand piano at home, so the keyboard wasn;t really needed until now.

 

Sulli's face brightened. Taemin smiled after seeing this. He set the board close to her and he started to play. His fingers moved gracefully with the fast meloday. He played something bouncy. He tried to match Sulli's mood, but he couldn't. In his mind at least. Sulli didn't care and continued to listen, laughing when he messed up, and sung along with tunes she recognized. It was like they were children again, playing on the piano that provided them great joy.

 

Taemin ended a song, Sulli was anticipating was he was going to play next. It felt like years have gone by when in reality, it was only a mere hour. Taemin asked what she wanted to hear. Sulli thought long and hard. He looked over her as she thought, oblivious to her surroundings as she tried to think of a song that would be a slight challenge to her dear friend. He spoke up.

 

“Noona.”

 

She turned to him.

 

“What's up?”

 

“Thank you.”

 

She was now confused.

 

“For what? I didn't do anything.”

 

Taemin remained silent, thinking over his answer, but he could put his thoughts into words. He spoke up again.

 

“Just for things.”

 

Sulli didn't question him. She knew that Taemin was different. She didn't know why, but she knew he was. If saying thank you made him feel better, she wouldn't complain. Instead, she gave him a smile and a gentle pat on the head. She told him what she wanted him to play. It was a old song they used to listen to all the time when they were kids. It almost served as a lullaby.

 

Taemin obliged and played it to the best of his ablity. He looked up, and instead of seeing the usual excited Sulli, he saw a quiet one, with her eyes closed and only a slight curve of her lips instead of her teeth.

 

Taemin continued to stare as he played, and Sulli didn't notice. She was too busy getting lost within the notes that came to life from the keyboard. He knew that he loved her like a sister, and that it was too early to tell if he loved her like a lover. But he wanted this moment, just the two of them, to forever stay in peaceful harmony.

 

-------------

 

please excuse any grammatical and spelling errors. I don't have a editor and editing myself only gets me so far since you start to memorize what you write. So instead of seeing what's actually there, you see what you want to see.

 

Taemin as an assassin = win

 

Sulli being Sulli = priceless

 

Omg, the ending is so gross.

 

To the person who requested: it's so gross compared to your stuff ;_; but I hope you like ittttttt. Do you see my run-on sentences and your stupid mannerisms(and all my grammar mistakes lol)? Now get inspiration for my fic, nave/hyung/unnie/stupid buffalo/pabo/choding/whatever i'm supposed to call you over the interwebs. Je t'aime, une buffle stupide :D <3

 

Suggestions and crits are much appreciated, comments make me happy, and flames make me laugh so please leave something ;)

 

hoped you enjoyed reading!

 

-fmaXp3rt

 

EDIT: SORRY I DIDN'T CLARIFY- THIS STORY IS AN AU, SO TEAMIN BEING YOUNGER WAS ON PURPOSE. I know Taemin is one year older that Sulli. I didn't want to be clliched where it was like... older brother-younger sister. So I did the opposite which is just as cliched but not as common.