C H A P T E R 1 .

We Are Stuck In This Together

Chapter One

      The cup of coffee felt right in his hands; it was winter afterall. Jongup had his thick woollen scarf wrapped up to his nose, covering half of his face just like a mask. All of a sudden, a hard, brick-like wall slammed into him. A stack of papers drifted in the freezing breeze, scattering everywhere on the pavement. “Aish,” the sound was only a whisper. Jongup dropped to his knees immediately, frantically collecting the papers before they flew away with the wind and never coming back. “Are you blind?” A strawberry-brown haired girl demanded as she snatched her property over. “Do you know how precious this is to me?” Her cold hard eyes glared at Jongup's own frightened ones. Her iries were a beautiful colour of hazel, and maybe if they met in a different situation, she might actually be sweet and nice-loving. “I can't stand guys like you.” she told Jongup, who was a half a head taller than her. “Acting innocent don't bring out a man.” She scorned, storming off with a handful of papers sticking out from all corners.

      Jongup stared hard at the girl's retreating back. What is wrong with her? Deep inside, Jongup felt this uncomfortable wrench and that in misery, he almost cried out. Confused at first, Jongup could not figure out why he felt so unusually miserable. But he did, eventually. It was because no one had been that mean to him before. Who was this girl to say anything when she didn't even know him?

* * *

      Nam Hayeon stepped confidently into the office decorated with such designs that even Hayeon was fascinated. “Chairman, Miss Nam Hayeon has arrived.” Hayeon waited patiently as the secretary in a tight skirt and 4-inch heels squeaked into the communicator. How Hayeon detest these girls. Are you here to work, or are you here to seduce men? She rolled her eyes moments before the secretary turned to her and nodded with a encouraging smile that left a pang of guilt in Hayeon's heart. But there wasn't time for that. This was more important.

      Hayeon's grey flats made no sound as she sauntered into the Chairman's office. “Ah. Hayeon, you are here.” The figure on that black leather chair smiled that grandfatherly smile of his. Since they met, he had that smile. And it made Hayeon wonder at what age did the Chairman actually did become 'grandfatherly'. “Nae, Chairman.” Politeness was a necessity in the social world. And no matter how much Hayeon hated it, she needed it as much as she needed this job. “We will go straight into your design, my dear. There's no need to consider at all.” This man trusted her work and would without hesitation, turn her drawing into reality. But that wasn't what Hayeon was looking for. All she needed was someone to recognise her work and praise her for all the hard work and efforts she had put in. A slight crease was in between her brows as she waited for further instructions by the man. “I had a talk with your father.” He started. In normal cases, Hayeon would shut his mouth with a kick in the face. But no, this man is the chairman. The reason her father allowed her to continue her one true passion – drawing. “You are already of the age suitable for marriage. We have discussed. You and my son will make a perfect match.” A small smile lit up his wrinkled features. “Of course, my youngest son. He will be here soon.”

      Hayeon looked past the chairman, watching the secretary through the glass behind the chairman. A man in a suit walked past her, but returned to speak a word or two to her. Hayeon observed that the exaggeratedly extended eyelids of the secretary had a mechanism that somehow went wrong and they kept batting at the gentlemen. Hayeon had to use all her willpower to not make a face because the chairman was right in front of her and she didn't want to be rude. Not when he has already helped her so much. “I am fine with any arrangement, sir.” Hayeon replied consciously but it was not like she could do anything about their decision. “That's wonderful.” The elder clapped his hands. “I want you youngsters to get along, obviously, before the marriage. And maybe fall in love.” He winked, but not in a flirtatious manner. “You will live together in an apartment for awhile before we decide on the wedding date.” The man was obviously excited. Hayeon knew this was coming, but all she did was waited. There was nothing she could do but well, an arranged marriage is better than being left on the shelf. But only if the other party was not a jerk.

      Hayeon found the lady secretary extremely entertaining. How can she find so much delight and bravery to try to flirt with a man like the one outside? Without noticing the secretary's vain efforts, the gentleman nodded, and strode away.

      “Ah. Speak of the devil. Come here, my son.” The chairman spoke so suddenly that his loud booming voice startled the fearless Hayeon. Hayeon turned around to face the honest, gullible man the secretary had attempted to flirt with.

      “Jongup, meet your fiancee, Nam Hayeon.”

* * *

      Jongup's eyes widened in shock as the lavender scent of the familiar strawberry-brown hair wafted towards him. Secretely, he prayed that it would not be that mean girl from before. But something told him, 'Too bad, today is just not your day.' Jongup crossed his fingers behind his back, praying with all his might as he shifted his gaze from his ageing father, to the girl who, by then, was already studying him. Being in her sight was pressurising and Jongup felt self-conscious suddenly. Their eyes met, again. But Jongup could not detect any other emotion except for curiosity. Questions were forming in his mind. Is she acting? Don't she recognise me? He was literally gawking at her with his mouth wide open. “Attracted, Jongup?” His father who had rose from a store employee to a CEO chairman of the company now widely known worldwide. A few days ago, his old man told him about the marriage alliance he is going to make with his good friend. And the pawn would be him, Jongup. Of course, he protested. He argued. But it was of no use. 'It would be fine. She's a nice girl.' His mother assured him. What a lie, Jongup thought, when he realised that his fiancee would be the girl who insulted him on their first meeting.

      Jongup didn't answer his father. If the girl didn't recognise him, all the better. He was not going to let his father know yet.

      “Get to know each other. Both of you are, afterall, in the designing department.” Chairman Moon pushed them out of his office. “Have fun, kiddos.” He laughed heartliy.

      “Cafeteria?” The girl, Nam Hayeon, asked a little too casually. She headed towards the cafeteria, like as if no one would defy her decision.

      “Nope. Follow me.” Jongup advanced towards the white McLaren MP4-12C, imported specially for him from the States. He did not bother to see if his 'fiancee' was following him or not. But he was certain that she would. And she did.

      Hayeon stood outside the sports car, a little hestitant, as Jongup slid in. “What are you waiting for?” Hayeon frowned, “Where are we going?”

 

 

[A/N: This is a rather short chapter right? D; /sigh/ What should I do?... hurhur ;~;]