Chapter 1 - Luhan's Return

Finding Home

 

To be honest, Sehun didn’t expect to see Luhan again under these circumstances.

Luggage bag in one hand, a cup of milk tea in the other, wearing that same striped shirt and beanie they bought together the last time they went shopping.

 “Sehun-ah~” Luhan beams, his smile bright as always. It’s almost as if nothing has changed. Almost.

“Luhan.” Sehun nods stiffly, cracking a dry smile.

“Come on,” Luhan peaks inside Sehun’s apartment, “Don’t keep me out here, I’ve got all this luggage with me, gotta put them down somewhere.”

“C-come on in.” Sehun steps aside, still slightly dazed.

“You still have those slippers!” Luhan exclaims as he walks through the door, pointing at the shoe shelf, “and those stickers! Remember when you scolded me for putting them up because they looked childish?”

Sehun is silent, eyes drilling into the back of Luhan’s head.

“It’s as if everything is still the same,” Luhan murmurs, eyes softening, “thank goodness.”

“What did you say?” Sehun walks over after closing the door behind him.

“Nothing!” Luhan is all smiles again, “I am so tired, Sehunnie, it was such a terrible plane ride, you probably can’t even imagine! I just want to flop on a bed and sleep until next week. Oh right, I should probably put away my things first, I’ll be my room if you need me.”

“Luhan,” Sehun pulls on the elder’s arm, “Wait. You can’t.”

“Hmm?” Luhan is still smiling, and for some reason it’s starting to bother Sehun, “What do you mean I—”

“Sehun-ah, I’m back~” The door opens again and a tall, curly-haired boy half stumbles in, bags in both hands, “And I have take-out! Aren’t you—Oh hi! Who’s this?”

Luhan’s smile falters just slightly, and Sehun sends Chanyeol a look that says don’t say anything just leave us alone.

But Chanyeol being himself, decides to put down the bags in his hands, walk over, and further investigate the problem.

“Wow, you’re so pretty!” Chanyeol exclaims, “I mean, handsome, I guess guys don’t like to be called pretty. But still, you’re very pretty, but don’t be offended by that! I mean it in the best way possible! So what’s your name? I’m Chanyeol by the way, Park Chanyeol.”

Sehun mentally facepalms and looks back at Luhan, who’s trying to look okay but that smile is falling by the second.

“I-I’m sorry.” Luhan looks down at the floor, “I didn’t know you had someone over. I’ll leave you two alone. I’ll just go to my room.”

Luhan starts walking down the hallway, but Chanyeol grabs his wrist and turns him around.

“Hey,” Chanyeol is all smiles, genuine smiles, “you still haven’t told me your name! And that’s my room you’re walking towards.”

The cup of milk tea in Luhan’s hand drops onto the floor, splashing all over the cuffs of their pants. Luhan panics, and immediately searches for tissues. He manages to find them fairly quickly, in the same place they always were, beside the telephone.

“I’m sorry!”Luhan apologizes, “I’m really sorry!”

“It’s alright!” Chanyeol laughs, “Happens to me all the time. I’m pretty clumsy too. Let’s go get cleaned up~”

Luhan follows Chanyeol into the washroom, and Sehun walks himself over to the couch and sits down, fingers pinching the bridge of his nose, sighing.

What is Luhan doing back here again…?

*

“I’m Luhan.” Luhan looks up at Chanyeol while they’re in the washroom together, rinsing their hands and trying to dry off their pants. “Sorry, I was a bit distraught earlier.”

“It’s alrignt!” Chanyeol waves it away, “It’s nice to meet you, Luhan. Your name doesn’t sound Korean, are you Chinese?”

“Yes, I am.” Luhan nods, “I’m an exchange student at Yongsang University.”

“Oh, that’s where Sehun and I go!” Chanyeol is all smiles again, “Are you entering first year?”

“No, I’m starting third year,” Luhan looks down at the floor, “vocal major.”

“Third year?” Chanyeol’s eyes widen, “Same here! Sehun and I are film majors.”

“I see.” Luhan nods, “so, how long have you been living here?”

“About a year.” Chanyeol answers, “A friend of mine told me Sehun had an empty room so I thought I’d move in. It’s such a nice place, and so close to school too. He said he’s been living here for almost four years. I was kind of surprised he had this place while he was still in high school. I guess he moved out of home early.”

Luhan cracks a weak smile.

“Come on,” He stands up, “I think we’re pretty much cleaned up.”

As Luhan walks back out towards the living room, he passes by Sehun’s bedroom. Slowing down, he takes a quick peek inside. Everything still looks the same, except those pictures… all the pictures of them together were gone. Luhan’s heart tightens.

He backs out of the room and quickens his step, catching up to Chanyeol.

*

“So,” Sehun takes a deep breath, “You need a place to stay?”

“Yeah,” Luhan nods slowly, “Obviously this place isn’t an option.”

Anymore. Luhan silently adds.

“Oh!” Chanyeol perks up, “I remember Baekhyun said that his roommate just moved out a few days ago, how about his place? It’s so close too!”

“Yeah?” Luhan blinks, “Where is it?”

“Right across the hall! I’ll go ask him right now for you!” Chanyeol jumps up and runs towards the door in excitement. Luhan’s gaze follows Chanyeol’s back, lips slowly curving up into a smile.

“We’ll be together again, Sehun-ah.” Luhan says softly, head turning back and eyes meeting Sehun’s gaze.

“Luhan,” Sehun leans back onto the sofa, “What are you doing back here? It’s been more than a year. Kris not treating you well?”

“Sehun-ah, please.” Luhan pleads, hands grasping onto Sehun’s arms, “It’s not like that. I-I had to leave. You have to understand—”

“Stop it.” Sehun cuts in, “You chose to leave with him. I begged you, Luhan, I cried and pleaded for you to stay, and what did you do? You brushed me off and hopped on that plane with him.”

Luhan opens his mouth, and closes it again.

“See?” Sehun scoffs, “you can’t even defend yourself.”

Luhan falls silent, hands dropping to his sides, and Sehun almost wishes that Luhan would say something, anything, about why he left, why he never bothered to call, why he all of a sudden decided to show up again.

“Luhan!” Chanyeol bursts back into the room, pulling along a shorter boy with pale skin and a cute smile. “Baekhyun said it’s alright!”

“Hi,” The boy, Baekhyun, waves, a shy smile on his face, “I’m Baekhyun, I heard you were looking for a place to stay?”

“Yes,” Luhan composes himself, “would I be able to stay with you?”

“Of course!” Baekhyun beams, “Chanyeol said you’re a vocal major? Same here! Come on, let’s move your stuff over. My room is right across the hall!”

Luhan smiles back, following after Chanyeol and Baekhyun, who have already started pulling his bags of luggage towards the door.

“I guess I’ll be right across the hall if you need me.” Luhan sneaks a glance at Sehun.

“Don’t worry.” Sehun says coldly, “I won’t be needing you.”

“Sehun-ah,” Luhan’s voice raises in pitch, “Please, don’t be like this. We can work through this, we’ve been through worse, right? We can—”

“Luhan.” Sehun takes a deep breath, “We’re finished. We finished a long time ago. Why can’t you just move on? At least, let me move on from you.”

“No.” Luhan shakes his head, moving closer, “No, Sehun, we’re not finished. We were never finished to begin with. Don’t ever say that to me.”

“Stop denying,” Sehun says, frustrated, “you were the one—”

Luhan suddenly steps forward and pushes Sehun down onto the sofa, their lips crashing together and Sehun’s mind goes blank because it’s Luhan kissing him and damn he hasn’t kissed Luhan in so long.

“Don’t you dare,” Luhan bites down on Sehun’s lips, “tell me that we’re finished, Oh Sehun.”

Luhan leans down and kisses Sehun again, hard, on the wound he gave him earlier, drawing blood. Sehun winces slightly, and Luhan, as if realizing he’s hurting the younger boy, softens his kisses and carefully nibbles on Sehun’s bottom lip, blowing soft kisses.

When they finally pull apart, Luhan’s eyelashes are slightly damp, and he stands up from the sofa just as Chanyeol comes back into the room.

“Luhan~” Chanyeol calls, “come on, let’s go see your new room!”

“Coming!” Luhan shouts back, eyes still locked on the bitemark on Sehun’s lip.

“I’ll be right across the hall if you need me.” Sehun-ah.” Luhan runs a thumb against his own slightly bruised lips. “I’m not giving up on this.”

It wasn’t until after Luhan left and Chanyeol came back that Sehun finally broke out of his trance.

“Where did Luhan go?”

“To Baekhyun’s place,” Chanyeol answers, mouth full of food, “You want something to eat? You’ve been blanking out for quite a while.”

“Oh, right.” Sehun shakes his head, “Grab me a pair of chopsticks.”

“Already got them for you,” Chanyeol hands Sehun a bento box, “Do you and Luhan know each other? You guys seem pretty close.”

“It’s a long story…” Sehun quiets down, “Let’s just eat, I’m hungry.”

They finish dinner in silence, a rare occurrence since it’s usually never quiet when Chanyeol is around. Sehun’s lost in his sea of thoughts, tongue subconsciously tracing the bitemark on his lips.

Luhan… what exactly are you back for…?