I Never Knew

I Never Knew

 

            I look down at the plate full of food, picking up my 'Rilakkuma' chopsticks, I reach down and grab a piece of meat, my mouth water at the thought of eating it.

            "Mew, are you going to eat or is it too hot?" my gaze snaps up towards my older friend, Unni.

            "Of course I will, I'm just admiring the tenderness," I state, my blue eyes returning to the meat, I quickly devourer the chunk and immediately reach for more.  Unni giggles and starts eating her vegetables, my white cat ears twitch at the sound of cars driving past our little apartment.

            "I heard that a new boy is returning from a vacation tomorrow, have you heard about that?  I heard he was cute, do you think he'll be as cute as the girls at work say?  Have you met him?  I forget when he left so we may have moved here after he left..." Unni's blunt purple gaze stares straight back at mine, she's leant forward slightly as she talks about the boy.

            "I would believe he's cute if that's what everyone says, but I really don't know, sorry Unni, we moved here a few days after he left."

            "What day did we move here again?" her gave turns confused and she starts to eat her dinner once again.

            "Three days after I turned into a human."

            "Oh, I guess that makes sense then, but, aren't you technically a Neko? You're half human, half cat.

            I nod, I always wanted to be human, but I'll always be part cat. Then a thought crossed my mind, 'if I stay silent then Unni might think she offended me.' I quickly send a smile toward the older girl, hoping I wasn't too late.

            "Mew?"

            "Yes?" I murmur, looking up at Unni.

            She smiles at me and opens to talk, "what if he's the boy who gave you the pink ribbon and gave you that cat food?  He practically saved your life. That would be quite ironic, right?" she laughs.

            "I doubt it's him."

            "But you wish it was him, maybe you could finally act on that little crush you have there." my gaze snapped upwards suddenly, she looked at her nails before meeting my eyes.

            "I do not have a crush on him!" I leaned forward a bit and paid special attention how I held my hands, they were a sure sign whether or not I was lying. "Even if I did, I barely know him, how would I be sure I liked him?"

            "Right."

            "It's true!"

            "Whatever you say, Mew."

            I sighed, murmuring, "fine, I might have a small crush."

            Unni jumped up from her seat, screaming happily. "This is awesome!  My little Mew has a crush!  So cute, now I really want that boy to be him." I rolled my eyes, Unni was a little insane when it came to boys.

            "You totally need to do something with him."

             "I just want to thank him for giving me my bow and some food." She sighed and gave me a look, practically telling me she was disappointed.

            "I'm home!" came a masculine voice from behind me, my ears flicked backwards and I turned my head.

            "Aron, what are you doing here?  Is anything wrong?" Unni

            "Can't I come and see my two favourite people sometimes?" Aron stated while hugging my back.  I looked up at him and grinned his brown-orange hair had become light due to his daily walks in the forest, it laid messily on his head in a tousled but neat style.  His amber eyes met mine before making their way towards a particular brown haired girl.

            "Well Noona, you appear to be quite irritated with me right now?" Aron inquired softly, a light smile on his lips.

            "My name's Unni."

            "Unni is what a younger girl calls a close older girl or older sister in Korean, I'm a younger guy so I call you Noona, Noona," Aron shot back cleverly, who knew he would be so intelligent, he must like Unni a lot.

            "You're immature." Unni's eyes narrowed at the odd orange haired boy.

            "The undead are restless," Aron stated flatly, ignoring her last sentence.

            "Why didn't you say this earlier? You know, as soon an you walked into the house?" Unni angrily yells.

            "I don't know, I randomly remembered just now."

            "You're an idiot." Unni growls lowly and sends a bone chilling death glare at Aron.

            "What? We just have to have everything ready, make sure we have enough energy so we can use magic, sharpen the weapons, et cetra, but we already did that forever ago, we just need to fight and save the world."

            "Well, seeing as you guys are having so much fun, I'm going to watch that documentary on human psychology," I said lightly, I shot Unni a grin and walked out of the room, Unni looks at me with a pleading look right before I slip from her sight.

            "Watching all those human psychology things won't help you understand their way you know." both Aron and Unni called after me.

            I giggled and sat down murmuring, "time to unlock the secrets of the human mind."

 

~~***~~

 

            'I wonder if the new boy will be nice.' I thought as I turned towards the school. The red-brown brick stood out against the blue sky like sore thumb, you could practically see it a hundred miles away.

            "Mew," called a soft voice from behind me, "how was your weekend? Anything new happen?"

            In fact, quite a lot had happened the recently passed weekend, I had gotten a sword, the blade had ancient writing on it, apparently, according to Unni, it's an old tongue that the native Nekos spoke back in the day.  It was enchanted too, upon uttering a few words that I had been taught by Aron, the sword burst up into flames.  The past weekend also held the day I was awarded stronger powers, supposedly, I can turn back into my cat form now.

            "Nothing really, just hanging out with the gang." I grinned at my best friend, Ailee, brushing my white hair behind my ear, I took a step forward once again.  Quickly, Ailee matched her step with mine, pausing to brush her equally white hair out of her face.

            "Well that stinks."

            "Yeah, but it was fun.  Did anything happen with you?" I inquired, tilting my head towards her.

            "That's funny actually, I found out my crush is returning from a vacation today." Ailee's brown eyes met mine shyly as she adjusted her shirt nervously.

            "He's your crush?" I gaped at her. "What does he look like? I've never actually met him."

            "He has black hair?"

            "That's not much help." I gave her a look and continued, "I want details missy, is he cute? What's his personality like? Nice, smart? Oh, I hope he's smart!"

            She giggled like a schoolgirl and leaned in whispering in a stage voice, "well, he's actually pretty cold looking, he never smiles, and doesn't talk much, but his grades are high.  I was his partner once and he helped a lot, he's actually quite talkative and happy, he even saved a squirrel a few years ago.  It comes back every few days and hangs out in the backyard."

            I let the girl talk, knowing what it was like to gush about a boy you liked, all you wanted to do was chat on and on about him.  I kept steady eye contact and uttered a few grunts of approval, I would need an insight in him if they were to date.

            "Sorry to interrupt, Ailee, but I need to get to homeroom." I stopped outside the classroom and waved her goodbye.

            Just at I was about to disappear into the room Ailee called out to me, "that dress really suits you, Mew, light pink is totally your colour!" Ailee scrambled down the hall to her class, after seeing her dart into the room just as the warning bell went I turned into homeroom.

            After greeting the teacher I sat down and pulled out my book, it had the cover 'Romeo and Juliet'.  The cover was a lie though, it was actually telling me all about my powers, if I were to be ready for the upcoming fights I'd have to sacrifice a little, it'd be hard to write notes and read.

            "Is it OK if I sit here?" I looked up at a cute boy, he had black hair and a black face mask, like the ones you find in the hospital, except stylish and softer.  A blank look laid on his facial features, assuming he was Ailee's crush, I agreed.

            "I'm Mew," I said happily, sticking my hand out to him.

            "Jace."

            "Nice name, by any chance, are you the student who was on vacation?" I glanced down at my book on magic powers, he'd better understand it's a small town and news gets around fast or he may think I'm a stalker. "News gets around, it's hard to not know."

            I probably shouldn't have said that, seems to lack fluency, you're supposed to stick to normal conversations with humans or else that may misunderstand.

            He surprised me by saying, "yeah, I know, nothing goes on without others knowing, and it's not just random people, nope, it's either no one, or everyone."

            I laughed, Jace was actually a funny guy, I must admit, even if it weren't intended to be that entertaining, and the words we little, he worded it perfectly.

            "I swear your ears are real."

            I blinked, completely taken off guard by his comment, luckily though, when you want a secret to stay a secret, you always have a backup plan. "Everyone seems to say that," I giggled, "I got it on an amazing website, it's really soft and life-like."

            Jace excepted my lie easily, as most people did. It was not often that someone doubted me.

            "See ya around, Jace! You should hang out with me and my friend Ailee sometime." Jace nodded and walked away, not stopping to talk to the girls who had walked up to him.

 

~~***~~

 

            "Unni, where are we going?"

            "To meet up with Ailee of course!  We won't be able see her much after school for a while, and then we're going on a mission overseas afterwards, if we want to hang out soon, it'll have to be today." Unni looked at me sadly, knowing I'll have to lie to everyone once again.

            "Oh. Sounds fun." I sent a reassuring smile her way.  Unni gave me a sad look and shook her head, sighing.

            "I'm sorry I can't give you a break, but it's your job."

            "I know, Unni."

            "Mew!  Unni!  I'm over here!" I looked to my right, there stood Ailee in a cute flowery patterned dress, she skipped up to me and gave me a hug, my head barely came up to her chin. He well muscled arms enveloped my soft figure, squeezing me tight.

            "I guess we should get going to the movies?" Unni flashed us a toothy smile and led the way.

            After the movie, the tree of us wander the streets of central town, it was about five o'clock when Unni got a phone call.  Aron apparently had bugged an old woman in his apartment building and Unni had to go sort it out with the husband.

            "So, where do you want to go?" Ailee said, turning her head towards me, she sent me an inquiring look.

            "How about we hit a few snack stalls, I'm hungry," I suggested, my mouth started watering at the thought of hotdogs.

            "Hotdogs it is!" Ailee grabbed my arm and dragged me off towards the food.

            We ate our fill and headed to a small shop at the side of the road. "I think I'm going to grab a pack of gum to freshen up my breath, should I grab one for you?" Ailee asked.

            "Sure, do you want me to come?"

            "I think I'll be OK, you look at some cases for our phones, I need a new one, make sure they're cute though!" she giggled and skipped away.

            "Awesome, I love shopping for phone cases!" I turned around and entered the shop, immediately walking toward the cases, seeing a few flower pattern right I away, I dismissed them, flowers were cute, but not squeal cute.  I needed something like the adorable bear 'Rilakuma' or 'Pororo' the penguin.

            Something then caught my eye, there, to the left of me sat a 'Lilo and Stitch' case pack, the pink one was Angel, and the blue one was Stitch.  At the top they had a tuft of fur that you pushed on and the ears popped up.  I giggled at how cute it was, this was definitely what I was getting.

            "What are you doing here?" A deep voice came from behind me, I spun around, keeping my ears still and trying not to think it was an undead monster, a fight wouldn't end well in public.

            "Oh, hi Jace, I'm just here for cases for my phone, Ailee and I need new ones."

            Jace grunted in response, I smiled at him and my stomach clenched in nervousness.  I hadn't wanted to avoid mistakes in conversation as much as I had now, I wouldn't want to be a fool in front of Jace.

            Suddenly it hit me, his voice was caring, just like the nice boy who saved her by feeding me cat food and gave me a cute ribbon.  Jace and my crush were the same person!

            Well, of course it was, that's how it works right?  I just hope it doesn't come between Ailee and I.  How ironic, I finally have a crush besides the mystery boy, and it turns out to be the same boy! I wish I would confess, but I barely know him, Ailee likes him, and I'd have to lie everyday to him, how do I explain where I go, I have enough trouble with Ailee.

            "Well, I got to head home soon, bye." Jace spun on his heel and walked out of the store while flicking his hair out of his eyes.

 

~~**~~

 

            I grabbed Ailee's wrist and tugged her along. "it's OK, he's love you, don't fret."

            "How would you know that?" Ailee snapped back, I grinned at her and rounded the corner, spotting a particular black haired boy, I dragged Ailee over.

            "Jace, meet Ailee." I grinned a my two best friends from school. "I'd stay longer but Aron needs me at home."

            "But-" Jace started, but I interrupted him quickly.

            "Bye, love ya!"  I dashed out the big front doors and jumped into Aron's car.

            "Ready for your rounds tonight?  I feel as if something's going to happen." Aron teased, his greatest desire was to be able to see the future, of course, he couldn't, but he certainly tried.

           

            'I wonder how their meeting went, I just ditched them without explaining myself. Should I have?  Oh well, what's done is done, I just hope they get along.' I thought at I leaped down the top of an apartment building onto a smaller one about 30 feet down, I felt the air rush by and felt a purr rumble in my chest.  This is the life.

            After climbing down a ladder I land on the ground in an alleyway, the classic dangerous spot.  I practically saw my eyes adjusting to the darkness as the sun set, a garbage can falls to the ground and makes a loud sound.

            After a few minutes of wandering around I go towards central town, the only busy place this late at night.  I adjust my knife on my hip, it's sleek curved blade rattled in its sheath.

            In the distance, I heard angry yelling, my sensitive ears zeroed in and told me exactly where to head towards.  I stuck my head around the edge and saw some men walking, obviously drunk.  What are they doing this late at night?  They should be at home.  Sighing I followed the men, no danger would come to them, or anyone else.

            As I stride about 20 meters behind the men, I hear a familiar sound.  The sound of monsters.  A dark hand reaches out to grab one of the men, extending my claws, I rush forward and attack, the zombie moves out of the way, surprisingly fast.  We spar for a few seconds and quickly gut him with my knife.

            More gurgling sounds can be heard and I already am feeling tired, their strength per monster as depressingly high and it took lots of energy to kill one.

            I run quickly toward the noise there are three more undead.  This type was slower, but much stronger.  I pull my sword from its sheath which is hidden by magic.  I slice and hack but they use their claws and muscles to fight back, efficiently I stab my knife into one of their chests and kick another to the ground smashing its skull.  The last one I envelop in fire.

            Panting, I call Aron for backup using my cell phone.

            Suddenly I hear a piercing scream echo in the night, followed by grunts, my ears flick forwards and stand pin straight.  Across the road laid a boy who was viciously kicking at the zombie.

            It was Jace.

            Anger filled me and all I saw was red, he was so scared, fighting back with all he could, but he was human so it did nothing.  I felt as if I was going to burst when suddenly a loud boom echoes around the area.  The horde of undead fall down to the ground and blow away in ashes.

            I stumbled out into the street, just as Aron pulled up, I saw his bright orange hair before falling into darkness.

 

~~***~~

 

            I held the tea in my hand and stared into the liquid, the busy noises from those around me were blocked out into white noise.

            "Hey."

            I looked up, a tall boy stood in front of me, his black hair fell into his forehead.  His green eyes stared into mine and I smiled.

            It was exactly one week since the undead accident, the only thing good about the undead is once you saw one, you forgot as soon as it was out of your sight, unless you had magic of some sort.

            Jace sat down in the comfy cafe booth. "Mew, something happened to me last week."

            My eyes shot open and my cat ears twitched, I hoped he didn't notice, luckily it seemed he missed it. "What do you mean?" I forced myself to stay calm, I needed to stay calm, it would be alright.

            "I think I was attacked and Ailee saved me."

            "What?"

           He sighed, "I saw a flash of long  white hair, and the only white haired people in this town are you and Ailee.  At first I thought it was you, but, no offence of course, you can't run as fast as this person was moving, it has to be Ailee.  The point of this was, should I ask about it?"

            I paused to take this all in.  I suppose this was a good thing, but I don't really want him to think she saved him over me. "I don't think you should.  She would have told you if she wanted you to know, maybe it's private."

            "I guess you're right, Mew, thanks." he sent me a heart throbbing smile and left the small cafe.

            The next day, I strode onto school property, as soon as I entered Ailee jumped up in front of me. "Mew! Guess what!"

            "What?"

            "Jace asked me out!" she screamed, my heart skipped a beat and my mood deflated, I felt like crying like a baby at that moment in time.

            "That's great!" I forced a smile for my friend, she really deserved it, being with me would be asking for an unhealthy relationship, not to mention he would be in constant danger just for being that close to me.  Ailee really worked hard and had always wanted a boyfriend, even if I saw little point at this age, she had yearned for it, she deserved it more so than me.

            "I know right?  It's like a dream come true!  I could die happy!  Not that I would, I haven't experienced anything at this point." my best friend giggled happily in total bliss.

            "Hey Ailee, I don't want to put a downer on you, but I'll be going to Korea for a few months," I said sadly, I really didn't want to go, especially now that Ailee needed me, but Unni and the squad needed my help fighting the undead which are being very troublesome.

            "Oh no!  That's so sad!  Why would you need to go?" she asked, looking quite lost.

            I ruffled her hair, which made her push my hands away and flatten it again, we stuck our tongues out immaturely at each other before breaking down giggling. "well, I need to go because apparently Unni has family there we need to meet," I lied through my teeth, not a word of that was true.

            "That ." She pouted at me adorably.

 

~~***~~

 

            It was several years after Ailee and Jace met, and exactly  one thousand six hundred ninety-eight days after they started to date, and they were finally getting married.

            Jace and I were sitting out on the balcony of my apartment, the night before his wedding, everything was set, Aron was covering my duties today and Unni was covering for tomorrow, meaning I was supposed to be free for a day or two.  Ever since I got back from Korea, even though it hurt, I cheered for Jace and Ailee, spending every moment either on school, my friends, or my superhero work.  I made a ton of memories, some good, some bad, I had to refrain from dating, and I tried to stop crushing on Jace, even though it isn't working, I made sure it didn't get in the way.

            "Mew?" Jace started to say.

            "Yeah?"

            "I know I shouldn't probably say this the day before my wedding, but I used to have a crush on you when I started to date Ailee.  I felt like I owed it to her because she saved me. I'm not saying I'll leave Ailee now, but I feel like I should have told you, and I just want it off my chest."

            I stayed silent, which urged Jace to continue.

            "I've learned to love Ailee, and I'll never stop, but I don't want us to ever be apart, maybe only as friends, but I feel as if we'll be together till the end, the three of us.

            I looked over at Jace and leaned over for a hug, afterwards I got and plodded out of the room.  Shutting the door behind me, I leaned against it.

            If only I had just confessed.  Maybe I would be with Jace.  Maybe, I would have a more normal life.  Maybe, just maybe.

            Except, if I did date, get married, have kids, I wouldn't see them, I would lie to them daily, and it'd be as if I never existed.  I wouldn't recognise my kids as they got older, I wouldn't know their personalities, and I'd never know if my husband or boyfriend was faking, I'd just never be around enough.

            Everyday, if there is an emergency, I need to be able to drop everything, and rush to save the people, even if I saved people every day, I would be hurting my family.

            A loud buzzing noise went off in my pocket, reaching in, I pulled out my phone. "hello?"

            "Mew, we need your help, there's a fire in the mall." Aron's strong voice came through the speakers.

           "I'll be right there." I pressed the 'end' button and ran towards the door, ready to save the world, or at least, save someone from pain.  Even if it hurt me, I would help others because my pain is nothing compared to theirs.

            I never knew being a super hero would be this hard.