We Were Caught :c

Just For A While

The pair sat opposite each other on the roof of the dorm apartment, staring at each other for about forever; just staring. They did that a lot when they were sad. As though just looking at the other would help ease the pain.

That's why they'd steal glances even at public events. They were each other's source of comfort.

But now Key was crying, and Jonghyun wasn't very sure e could comfort him. He wiped Key's cheek where the tears flowed in a glistening line. Key winced.

"Don't."

Jonghyun froze, his finger lingering on Key's skin for a second longer before letting go and sighing.

"You know I don't care, right," Jonghyun said, trying to smile even though it was a really big problem.

"You should," Key replied softly. They were near opposites: one quite serious and one totally carefree. But the difference was part of what kept their relationship going.

"This isnt a joke, Jjong. We can get fired."

Jonghyun rolled his eyes. "Come on, Manager-hyung says it's just a warning. We can just be more careful," he proposed, though not fully believing it himself.

"We can't... be together."

Key's words took thee longest time to sink in. Jonghyun blinked a few times before realizing that no, it wasn't his imagination; Key had actually said that.

"Jonghyun, it'll be fine," Key tried assuring Jonghyun. "We just... Ignore each other for a while. And hopefully manager-hyung will let go of this and we can return to normal."

"Hopefully," Jonghyun scoffed.

Key forced a smile, ignoring him. In his mind, though, he thought of the real reason behind it all. Yes, he was also scared of the manager, but there was something much worse. Something he really couldn't tell Jonghyun. But his current excuse to break up momentarily was legit, too: Judging from their usually-kind manager's harsh reaction from before, it was clear they'd be under his watch for a while, so during that time, they had to be separate.

They both knew this, but Jonghyun couldn't see the reason why they should break up. If Key really loved him then why would he even suggest it? Since he loved him, it was ridiculous. Key loved him, right?

"Key, you're overreacting. Can't we try-"

"We can't."

"Listen, we can..."

Key hated this. Stop this, Kibum, you're breaking his heart. But he remembered the real reason and decided he had to.

"Jjong. Please," he said quietly, turning down whatever Jonghyun was about to say.

Tears began to prick in the corners of his eyes. Key was refusing to be with him just because someone found out. He knew it was dumb but it kinda hurt that Key wanted his job more than Jonghyun.

"I can't lose this job. I can't bear whatever consequences occur," Key continued.

Jonghyun swallowed. He hated Key using big words. "So... What? We just stop everything?" he asked bitterly.

"We'll still best friends, Jjong..."

Jonghyun wouldnt listen. Their whole relationship flashed before his eyes, kind of like when you die, except here his life wasn't going to end- his relationship would. And call him crazy, but he kind of felt this was more important.

"It's hurting me just thinking about it," Jonghyun said softly, biting his lip. "Cant we just-"

Key inhaled sharply, cutting him off. And Key noticed his hyung draw his eyebrows together, something, Key knew, he did to stop his tears from coming. And oh dear, once he started, he wouldn't stop.

"I'm sorry, Jjong."

Jonghyun's face crumbled. He didnt want to try and protest anymore. It wouldn't work. Key was pretty much rooted to his decision; there was no point trying. And he only realized he was crying until Key's face became blurry.

He buried his face in his hands as if they were soundproof and sobbed uncontrollably into them, while Key...

Well Key panicked. Well actually, at first he felt sort of flattered that he was crying for him, but then he panicked.

He had never known what to do when Jonghyun cried. He stood and winced as he saw Jonghyun losing control, then finally he just... Hugged him.

Tightly, securely, reassuringly. As expected, Jonghyun hugged back, and as soon as he'd stopped crying, Key pulled away. If Jonghyun had known he would do so, he'd have kept on crying.

"Look, the manager comes home in an hour and he expects us to be 'just friends' by then," Key said. "After he's convinced, maybe we can go back to normal. Till then we can be friends, okay?"

Jonghyun thought back on the incident. He should've shut the door when kissing Key, but he didn't, and of all people living in the dorm with them, the manager was the second (the first being Minho) to find out about their relationship.

"An hour?" Jonghyun repeated. Key nodded.

"We have until then, I guess," Jonghyun finally agreed, as painful as it was to his heart. So they intertwined their hands like normal. They kept silent for awhile, then they started to talk.

They talked about Minho maybe purposely trying to annoy them ("It's like he reads my mind, Key! Stepping in right when I want to make a move!"), about Taemin growing up far too fast ("He's keeping secrets, I can tell. And I dont like it."). Onew getting too distant sometimes... Zoning out behind the scenes but faking a smile right when a camera shows up. And they talked about their comeback in around a month or two.

"A month," Jonghyun repeated. Key raised an eyebrow. "What'll happen to us in a month?"

Key looked at his lap, thinking. But then the sound of a car pulling up in the driveway interupted his thoughts. They exchanged glances and stood immediately because that was the sign that the manager was home. The sign of them not being able to be close for a while.

Key dreaded every second of it. As they reached the floor of their rooms, he decided to have a last word with Jonghyun.

The latter was almost at his bedroom door when Key pulled his wrist. "In a month's time," Key began, words hushed but passion-filled all the same, "I'll still love you."

Jonghyun smiled but his eyes teared.

"Me too."

He grabbed Key's shoulders and placed his lips on Key's, memorizing every little bit of the ecstatic sensation he felt from the contact because he doubted he'd be getting it for a while.

At the slightest sound of a door being pushed open, Key pulled away quickly.

He Jonghyun's hand a final squeeze before turning around.

"I love you," Key said over his shoulder, probably the last time in far too long a time that Jonghyun could manage. He smiled as he watched him walk away from him, leaving him, but in his mind all he could think of was when he'd return again.

* * *

A little later, Key sat on his bed, cross-legged, facing the bento box that the manager had given him. A few minutes after he'd entered his room before, the manager followed in after him. He had this awkwardly over-happy aura that got on Key's nerves, and tried implying things in his words to get Key to take a hint. He hated every minute of it.

"Wow, it's hot out today. People should stay away from each other a little, huh?"

"Ah, love soccer. But if you play for the other team, people might not support you as much, you know?"

And when Key raised an eyebrow at the stinging words the manager shrugged and continued his painfully subjective one-sided conversations (except when it was about soccer, because Minho joined in then).

He'd said he gave Key and Minho (who was sleeping) bento boxes they could eat in their rooms for dinner so Key didnt need to cook and set the table. On the inside, though, Key was positive the manager was keeping him from seeing Jonghyun, and he could easily see him flinch when the turning of Jongtae's doorknob could be heard. After he left, Key checked his phone. No texts, nothing.

What, was he busy with someone else more important? It's only 8 o'clock, how could he have already slept, right? Is he... with her again?

Key swallowed. Thinking of her made him think of the real reason behind why he wanted to stop things. But he quickly cleared his mind. Relax, Kibum, his battery is probably dead. Instead he just stared at his home screen, a picture of him and Jonghyun that they took a month ago in the bathroom at the SSTP radio station.

"Yah," Key had called Jonghyun as he entered the washroom. He placed his hands on his hips and faced his hyung, who was across the room, leaning against the sink with his phone. "What was that about?"

"What?" Jonghyun asked innocently, putting his hands on his hips as well, mimicking Key. Key got more furious.

"You, staring at me for like eight seconds straight! The managers could've seen! The listeners probably got confused-"

"Aren't you the one who's confused, Kibum?" Jonghyun cut him off and flashed a crooked, heart-melting smile. Key raised an eyebrow.

And suddenly Jonghyun was no longer across the room. He was right in front of Key, his hands running up and down his arms: light, feathery touches that gave Key goosebumps. He shuddered from the sensation.

"See, you enjoy that," Jonghyun whispered directly in Key's ear, sending shivers down his spine. "But you don't want me looking at you? Make up your mind Key, what do you want?"

Key didn't say anything. He hated losing his cool, and having nothing to say, but Jonghyun did this to him. But with Key's speechlessness, the older boy quickly grew impatient. So, like the sly boy he was, he the side of Key's neck, the warm, wet tongue sliding slowly all the way up to his earlobe, where he bit down on the skin. Key's sensitive spot.

"J-jjong!" Key gasped as a shiver rippled through his whole body, looking incredibly . Jonghyun his lips but controled himself from continuing, leaving Key to want more. He just turned to the door.

He prayed for Jonghyun to leave quick so that he could freely get rid of his little problem in his pants, and cover up the hickey on his neck, but Jonghyun paused at the door, facing Key.

"I knew it. You want me," he said playfully. Key scoffed but it came out more like some ual sound. He mentally kicked himself.

"It's okay, Key," Jonghyun smirked.

"Because I want you too."

Jonghyun winked and left, leaving Key to sort out how he'd face him later.

Sitting on his bed, reminiscing, Key heard a low cough behind him, pulling him back to reality.

"M-minho!" Key stuttered with relief. Phew. The manager hadn't caught him staring at Jong's photo. But Minho had, so it was still awkward. Minho just raised an eyebrow.

"Chill, hyung," he chuckled. After standing there awkwardly for a second, he sat down next to Key on his bed, with the cool face he wore when he was, in fact, nervous.

Key frowned inwardly at the action. The hell is wrong with him, he thought. Minho wasn't usually like this.

"Key-hyung, I'm sorry if this is awkward but..." Minho started. Oh no, Key thought and bit his lip. Please don't be about love advice. Or some question about bodily functions. Or something about-

"...You and Jonghyun-hyung seem really close again."

Oh god. He noted that "again" was emphasized. He had told Minho all about his love life with Jonghyun ever since he was hurt when Jonghyun dated- Stop. Thinking. About it.

"So?" Key asked nonchalantly, emptying any other thoughts out of his brain, and looked down at his phone to avoid eye contact.

"So, the rest of us feel like... Left out. You guys are in this private love bubble-"

Key winced. Love.

"-that we cant get in," Minho shook his head. "Sorry, but that's what's been happening, if you haven't noticed."

Guilt churned in Key's stomach. He hadn't noticed.

"I'm really sorry, Minho. I didn't know," Key said, getting increasingly guilty as he looked up to see Minho's sadface. "I'll make it up to you! I'll..." Ah, heck. "I'll spend more time with you and Onew-hyung and Taemin."

Minho's face lit up. "Really? That'll be great! And Jonghyun too, right?" Key thought for a second before shaking his head.

"I kind of need a break from him for a while," he said, hating the bitter words on his tongue. Minho frowned. "Did you two fight?"

"Yah, stop asking! It's complicated. But it'll be fine," Key replied. Minho raised an eyebrow.

"You sure? I can ask him anything, you know."

Key sighed at the fact that Minho knew everything, so Jonghyun trusted him the most. But he shook his head at and pulled the covers over himself.

"Goodnight, Minho," he just said, not wanting to continue the conversation.

"Night," Minho said, going to his own bed, still unsure. Key popped his head out from beneath the blanket and tried smiling at him, but as he heard Minho turn off the lights and go to bed, he could feel the smile turning into a grimace. He knew Minho wouldnt give up. He'd know soon.

And the person who'd let the cat out of the bag would be the one he loved, who he hadn't seen in a while. Key got up from his bed quietly. The dorm was quiet. He crept into Jonghyun's room to his bed.

His heart skipped a beat when he saw Jonghyun's eyes open, but then he remembered that was just how he slept. "My little dork," Key smirked as he watched Jonghyun lying in an awkward angle, mouth slightly parted as well, inhaling and exhaling evenly. Key bit his lip. He'd start ignoring him tomorrow. Even when the manager wasn't around, because "the reason" was still there...

So Key blew a final kiss in his hyung'sdirection, and then began to walk out when-

"I'll wait for you..." a sleepy voice mumbled.

Key paused and grinned. Jonghyun was singing in his sleep again.

"Until the end," he continued the next line of Four Seasons subconsciously.

"I mean it."

Key spun around, shocked that the voice was suddenly serious and wide awake Jonghyun, like before, lay asleep. But unnoticed by Kibum, there was now a hint of a smile to his slightly parted lips.

*Minho's POV, the next day*

Something's wrong. Very wrong.

As I sit at the breakfast table nursing my horrible headache, also actually observing everyone else, I notice it.

Jonghyun lays his hand on Key's, and Key pulls away. Jonghyun edges closer to Key, and Key moves out of the room, leaving Jonghyun to (failingly) mask his sadface.

The hell. Don't tell me Jonghyun's dating someone else again. Or if Key suddenly decides he's straight. I watch Jonghyun stand and go to my and Key's room. His nervous footsteps. His wringing hands. What else am I supposed to do? Despite the headache, I follow.

Through the crack in the door, I see Jonghyun sit next to Key, who is lying down on his bed. Jonghyun rakes his hand through Key's soft hair. I've never seen his eyes that way. Like they'd bore holes into Key, but also look like he's mentally caressing him gently.

"We can't do things in front of the other members too," Key speaks finally. Jonghyun rolls his eyes in frustration. "Why?"

"I don't want them to know. I don't want anyone to think of anything about us. They might speculate and find out and-"

"Find out what? Us? Everyone thinks we're best friends, chill out."

Key sits up straight and grabs Jonghyun's muscly forearm.

"Okay, I'll tell you, Jjong," he says with crazy worry in his voice. "But don't. Tell. Anyone." His tightens his grip on Jonghyun tighter at each word. Jonghyun only nods, looking really scared. I put my ear closer to the door to listen in.

"Remember what the thing we did like a month ago?"

Jonghyun frowns.

"The third time..." Key mumbles for Jonghyun to catch on. The elder's mouth immediately forms an "o" and nods, blushing furiously.

Third time for what? ? They've had three times now? And I didn't know? Omg this can't be.

I realize I've missed half of what Key's said, but now he's whispering so I can't even hear. I can only hear Jonghyun. After a while, Jonghyun's eyes widen.

"What? How is that possible? That's not humanly possible, Key!" comes Jonghyun's reaction to Key's words. , Key why can't you speak louder? Jonghyun grows increasingly astonished as Key continues whatever he's saying.

"So that's why you really wanted to break up?" Jonghyun yells. And as the other nods meekly with tears dripping onto his lap, Jonghyun calms down immediately. He hugs Key and says things like "don't cry" and "we'll take care of it together".

I love the sight before me. I feel like some creepy fangirl stalking them, but it really is happy to see two of my best friends hugging like there's no tomorrow. It's some sweet .

But then Key pushes Jonghyun away and rubs his own stomach with a fond expression. Jonghyun looking bewildered at first, then hesitantly patting it too.

Wait a second.

Wait a second.

Deciding I've seen enough, I run to the kitchen to be alone and collect my thoughts.

I remember Key's face while touching his tummy. Jonghyun saying "we'll take care of it together". Saying it wasn't humanly possible.

So, if the "third time" Key was referring to was really , then...

Was Key pregnant?

-------

When you ASSUME, you make an out of U and ME :3

Ah, to my older readers, you can see I've changed things up a bit, lol soree for any confusion ><  Anyway, next chapter is coming out reaaaaally soon, so watch out for that~^^ God isn't Minho such an instigator? Heeee i'm thinking of doing Tae POV next, that should be fun. SO subscribe to see that in future! c: and comments are cool too~ <3