Time Off.

I Know You

 

Key couldn't be happier. He finally had a moment to himself. Even the other members were no where to be found. Yeah, he loved them all like children and brothers, but he was with them all day, everyday nearly. He was a grown man too, and needed his own space. He could only be thankful about the Sherlock promotion ending. He actually got a break in his schedule again, a time to spend doing nothing else. He loved doing things with his friends, he was Key for pete's sake, but it was times like these where doing nothing seemed to appeal to him most. He could sit and read, he could watch a movie, he could even sleep, but he didn't want to be that boring while doing nothing. In fact, he wasn't even sure where the other members even went. He was in their apartment alone. This left him so many choices. What could he do? Where could he do nothing? He glanced at the window and noticed teh dark sky. It wasn't much of a shock though. Their schedules always kept them going home way past sundown. They were either on a radio station, shooting a commercial or magazine ad, performing, or just practcing. Yes...days like these were rare. He glanced at his watch and frowned. It was only a few minutes until ten. He should have slept, but why waste precious time in dreamland? He thought not. At least a movie--
 
I'm so curious, Yeah~
 
Key didn't let the song continue as he lifted the cellular device to his ears. 
 
"Yoboseyo?" Depending on the voice that replied he would either a) regret answering or b) actually have something to do. 
 
"Kibum! Long time no see!" Key let out a sigh of relief and smiled into the phone. He was desperately scared it would be their manger asking him about tomorrow's schedules or informing him changes about it. He was safe as he heard the voice of his friend. It was true, they really hadn't spoken or seen each other, despite being present in Japan and promoting seperately. Maybe his schedule really was too rough on him... Either way, he knew Dongho, and there would definitely be something to do tonight.
 
"Dongho! What's up? Ah, sorry I haven't called, Sherlock promotions have been a pain." There was a chuckle on the other end of the line.
 
"Ah yeah! Good work, hyung. I really like the song. I heard promotions ended today though. Got any free time?" Key couldn't be happier with that question. He'd just spent his last twenty minutes pondering what he could do, but from the mischievous tone in Dongho's speech, he knew something was up, and Key wanted to know--quick. 
 
"What do you want to do?" 
 
"I called up a few friends before you, and one of them happened to mention something about an underground rap show that will be happening downtown Seoul in thirty minutes. Can you believe it? We haven't had one of those in a while! I heard that a few others will be there like a few members of Block B, GD and Top, 2NE1, even Miryo and those rookies BAP. Let's go! I heard there were new competitors at this year's competition. I want to see them!!" Dongho whined excitedly from his side of the line. Still, this interested Key. They hadn't had many underground performances for two years, and the ones that took place weren't any interesting. Competition had died down, but from his description of the guest list, there were some seriously good competitors this year. Key usually played small rap parts within SHINee leaving that to Minho, but that didn't mean he hated hip hop.
 
"Count me in."
---
 
"So how are you feeling about the show tonight?" The voice made Hyesun frown. His voice was so weak it worried her to death. She didn't really want to put on this show tonight if he wasn't going to be there, and on top of that he promised her that he'd be there, but she wouldn't hold him up to that promise. Not in his condition. He was her best friend, he'd taught her everything she knew about rapping, in fact, she was rapping to one of his songs tonight~ She wanted to cry at the thought that he wouldn't be there. Stupid idiot, for out running his own endurance. Now look at him, strapped to a hospital bed until further notice of health improvement,  but judging by his voice, there wasn't any. She sighed and plopped into the chair next to his bedside.
 
"Zico, you know how I feel about the show tonight. I don't even want to do it now." He frowned at her and rolled his eyes.
 
"I told you,  I'm having it video taped where I can watch it live stream, so even if I'm there I'm still watching you perform. You have to. I think you can make it at least into the female top three, if not the Co-Ed rounds. Do it." She sighed and nodded standing from her chair. That's right. She had to perform for both their sakes. She had to show YG that she had what it takes to be in the entertainment industry. She'd even heard GD, Top, and 2NE1 would be there. She could definitely do this. She had to. 
 
"Arasso, arasso. I'll go, but if I make it into the co-ed rounds, you have to promise that you'll recover soon." She held her hand out in front of the leader who in turn mustered the best smile he could and weakly shook her hand.
 
"Good Luck."
 
"You too."
---
 
Nothing was near his expectation. Key stared at the abandoned subway in amazement. It had definitely changed. The walls were stacked with crazy graffiti art he'd never seen before.  The floor gave it a grunge feel as random floor tiles had been removed but the holes unpatched. The amount of people was crazy. He was definitely sure there were at least 3,000 people around, and that was barely what some idols would get during fansign events. The competition tonight HAD to be fierce. The walls were lines with an assortment of strobe lights and other light show utilities. He felt like he was attending a hardcore version of a rave, but at the same time he felt like he could be himself. He scanned the crowd noticing that none of the said idols appearances were wearing disguises and neither was he. That's what he loved about the underground entertainment business. There were unsaid rules. No one freaked out if their favorite star was around. No one ran to them for autographs or tried to speak to them. It was almost like they were above everyone else, and there was an unspoken air of respect around. He often wondered why more idols didn't attend these, but the more that came, the less of a secret and the less privacy it would be. 
 
"Annyeong-ha-se-YO!!!! Welcome back to Soul Radio Future! Seoul's best underground rap competition!! This year we've come back to offer you the best rappers we've had since the beginning of this whole programs! I'm sure you've heard of them all!
They've all made a name on the streets for themselves since last competition. First comes the male competitors, give it up for...." Key watched as about twelve men went up on stage with their introductions. Each gave a small performance socasing the level of skill. Key had to admit. There wasn't one amateur yet. They were definitely past that level. He stared in awe as some would break into a dance after rapping, and would curtly leave the stage. 
 
"Alright! Now for tonight's female competition! We only have six female rappers meaning only three would be eliminated, but which three?! Give it up for..." Key stared in amazement at the female section. Some of them were much better than half the males that had just come up, but one caught his interest. She was next in line to go, he noticed. She wore dark wash jean shorts that came a little above midthigh with mwatching suspenders. Her shirt was off shoulder and a bright red with a hat that had Zetetic clearly written on the front. Her long caramel locks were slightly curled and and she stood patting her thigh to the beat. She smirked at the now performing female onstage. Friends maybe? He could only watch as she was called on stage.
 
"Now for this year's newest contestant: Shin Hyesung aka The Female Virus!!!" An eruption of cheers nearly deafened Key's ears as she grinned energetically hopping onto the stage. She gave a cute side wave, and he expected the crowd to quiet down, but insead they only increased their volume. 
 
"Kyah!!! HYESUNG!! MARRY MEEE!!!" Key turned his head glaring at Dongho who inturn, ignored him and kept shouting. He rolled his eye before returning them to the stage where she placed her hands into her pockes, shifting her weight to her right foot. Her hat was switched to the side in a slant and she winked toward the crowd before  the music began.
 
"Jello beats, holla at me,
I don't like the look of it." She smirked and lifted her rigth arm, placing the mic in front of her lips, lowered her head, and began rapping.
 
"Attention, sillyejom hagesseubnida
Seondugeulub-e soghae myeochnomjom jabgessubnida
Jon gyeonghwangseuleobgessjyo sunsiggan-e tteunikka kk
U better run run ibjosim! Da-eumtages-eun nida
 
She lifted her head and the cute expression was gone as she glared at the crowd, suddenly, she took a fierce step forward, and the bass kicked in and she rocked with the music continuing her rap.
 
For real, original gajjadeul mangsinjuneun nae keolieo
Yeolsimhido chungjogchi moshae maesa-e geochin-eobsji
Eotteon-iga sangdaelo naltaeghae? Imi gyeolgwaga naltende
Like seungjin dae O’neal
 
As she said original, she pointed toward herself and smirked before turning and circling the stage. She returned and rolled her eyes as she said seungjin and flicked her wrist as if shooting a basketball when she said O'neal.
 
Ppyeodae baghin madimadi teunsilhan nae Rhyme
Aedeulibman deudgo cheongjadeul wal "goengjanghae!"
Naemal-e uiuiga issneun bundeul put your hands up
Kkago bikkwalsulog deo nop-aman jineun Ransom
 
If Key knew anything about 'swag' this girl had. She did. She jutted her hand out in a stop as she spoke the word rap, and her expression changed to a ghine and threw her hands in the air as she said 'put your hands up'. Immediately the crowd began shouting, and he temporarily lost sight of her with all the hands flying in the air. She grinned at the reaction and continued.
 
Yeah singyeong-i gonduseonchae
Obeohago nanli, jinsang doleulneomne
Soleumdodge nege misoleulgeonne
Noleul jeoeo gyesog ije don-eulbeolttae
 
(Nae) 4bagja un-yulnol-ileul ppulikkaji pahechyeo
Jeog-eun mankeum tohaenae jeojmeogdeon himkkaji dahaeseo
Neunglyeog-issneun namja kkeunh-im-eobsneun changjag
Yag-yuggangsig-ui beobchig-alaeseo sal-ananja
 
Her voice rose during ppulikkaji pahechyeo and he watched as she threw he free hand in the air and lifting her shoulder. Sticking her hand out at chanjag she turned around and faced the DJ rapping in his face.
 
Beatereul kkeut-eobs-i gong-geubhaejwo nan Groovey
Michindeus-i andalnass-eo insigsikyeo dugwie
Oh! Hyesung a.k.a Female Virus yeogin imi chotohwa
Heoleumhan igos mongttangda jaegeonchughae
 
She returned to stagefront and pushed the crowd who would in response scream louder trying to touch her. She climbed back on stage and  spread her arm as she said her name.
 
Ssaikolago haedo gwa-eon-ianiji
Geol-eumgeol-i maltu pom wanjeon hibhab-iji
Hwag-yeonhi galliji FAKE gwa REAL mwonji algin-al-eo?
Gwadaepyeong-ga hajimaldoe gwasopyeong-ga hajimalgeos
 
Huh-huh, Big stuff poppin’
Nae dwiskkongmuni jjochneun gang-ajideul, Can't stop it
Gat-eun laeb-eundedo naega hamyeon jom dallayo
Ujeneun hangsang-gat-ado neul sinseonham-i ttalayo."
 
She popped her suspenders at 'big stuff poppin' and Key couldn't help but smile. She was something...this female virus. He wanted to see more. She finished and bowed.
 
"Thank you!!" With a cute wave, she made her way off stage. It was official. Key had to talk her. He had to.