1/1

Impressive

                Joon was sore all over. He'd exercised for who knows how long and all he wanted to do was sleep.

                But he knew he couldn't. He stepped into the shower, cleansing his body from all the sweat. He washed his hair and made sure to use his peppermint shampoo, since it was Onew's favorite.

                It had been a long time since he'd last seen Onew. Far too long. And that was the reason he'd been working out so much. As he got out of the shower, he admired the chocolate abs he'd worked so hard to get back. His arms were muscular, his jaw was square, and his teeth were whiter than ever. He brushed and dried his hair, making it silky and soft, just how Onew used to like it. He hoped Onew would notice. He got dressed, taking extra care to wear something that showed off his physique. It wasn't easy to impress Onew; Joon knew, and yet as soon as he heard that Onew was coming back, he immediately focused all of his efforts in trying to do just that.

                He checked his watch: quarter to six. He'd have to leave right away if he wanted to make it on time.

                “I'm leaving,” he called as he grabbed his suit jacket and put on his nicest shoes.

                “Have fun on your date,” Mir teased, and Joon scowled.

                “I'm going to Shinee's dorm; it's not a date.”

                “It's always a date for you if Onew's there. I see you broke out the peppermint shampoo.”

                “Peppermint shampoo means it's a date,” Cheondoong added with a laugh. Joon glared at them.

                “Goodbye,” Joon said loudly as he left the dorm. He flagged down a taxi. Either the driver didn't recognize him or just kept quiet, but either way, Joon was relieved that he could deal with the butterflies in his stomach without any distractions.

                He wasn't quite sure why he was nervous. Onew was one of his best friends. But then again, where friendship slowly evolved into love for Joon, he wasn't sure he could say the same for Onew. Joon couldn't help mentioning Onew on practically every variety show he went on and every interview he had. He was that smitten. But Onew rarely mentioned Joon. Joon knew that Onew wasn't very open about his personal life, but that fact alone was not reassuring to Joon.

                He paid the taxi driver and avoided the fangirls on the street before he found himself in front of the door to Shinee's dorm. He pressed the buzzer and Taemin immediately opened the door, wearing a pale yellow button up shirt and white dress pants.

                “Joon-hyung!” he cried. “You’re here already! Ah, we’re not really quite ready…but you look good, hyung. And it's nice to see you again!”

                “You too, Taemin-ah,” Joon smiled as Taemin led him into the dorm.

                “Hi, Minho-yah.”

                “Hi, hyung,” Minho greeted as he and Taemin finished setting the table. Minho was also dressed nicely. “Jonghyun-hyung and Key are cooking dinner, and Onew-hyung is in his room. I think he might still be asleep. You can wake him up.”

                “Yeah, hyung, I think he'd like that,” Taemin added. Joon smiled at them and walked to Onew's room. He knew exactly which one it was.

                Onew was sleeping peacefully on his bed, legs and arms sprawled out every which way. He wore a pair of blue pajama pants and an extremely large Mexicana Chicken t-shirt. His eyes were shut, but there was a hint of a smile on his pink lips.

                “Ah…Onew-yah,” Joon said tentatively. He gingerly placed his hand on Onew’s arm. He chuckled to himself. Onew was as squishy as ever. Just how Joon remembered him. “Onew-yah.”

                “Mm?” Onew looked up at him, eyes still mostly closed.

                “Onew-yah, it’s me,” Joon murmured. Onew smiled.

                Ah, that smile. Joon had missed it. The pictures and videos he’d seen over the past few months hadn’t been anything as good as the real thing. He could see every one of Onew’s perfect teeth, his brilliant grin shining up at him.

                And Onew’s smile always looked better when it was directed at Joon and Joon only.

                “Hyung,” Onew grinned. “Hi.”

                “Hi,” Joon smiled. “How was your nap?”

                “I didn’t want to get up,” Onew said sleepily. “But now that you’re here I’m a little more motivated.”

                “I’m glad,” Joon said. Onew sat up in his bed.

                “I guess I’ll get dressed. You can go talk to Taeminnie and Minho while you wait,” Onew said. Joon smiled at him again (he couldn’t stop) and he left the room. He stood outside Onew’s door for a few seconds, still smiling, and then walked back into the main room.

                “Is he awake yet?” Minho asked.

                “He’s getting dressed.”

                “Joon-hyung, what have you been up to while we were in Japan?” Taemin asked.

                “Not much. I’ve been making a fool of myself on variety shows, as usual. And working out. Everyone always wants to see my abs.”

                “Minho-hyung has good abs too now,” Taemin said almost boastfully. He ran over to Minho and pulled up his shirt. “Look, see?”

                “Taemin!” Minho cried as he pulled his shirt back down.

                “Now you have to show us your abs, hyung!” Taemin said as he got dangerously close to Joon’s shirt.

                “Taemin-ah, that’s probably not—” Joon began, but suddenly Onew walked in and Joon had the sudden urge to show off.

                “Onew-hyung, Joon-hyung is going to show us his abs!” Taemin said, pulling Joon’s shirt up. “Whoa, hyung! Your abs are better than Minho-hyung’s!”

                “Hey!” Minho said, playfully offended. Joon looked to Onew, who was just smiling at the antics of his group mates. Joon sighed. Evidently, he hadn’t impressed Onew yet.

                “What’s for dinner?” Onew asked.

                “Jonghyun-hyung and Key-hyung are making chicken bulgogi,” Taemin said, still giggling.  

                “Sounds good,” Joon said.

              “Smells good,” Onew added, smiling at Joon. “Hyung. I saw you wore your socks with my face on them on TV again.”

                Joon felt his face heat up and he grinned sheepishly.

                “Yeah,” he replied. “I just like those socks a lot, okay?” Onew smiled knowingly at Joon.

                “How are the other members doing?”

                “Mir is snarky as ever. And the others have been kind of annoying lately, but you know how much I love them.”

                “I know,” Onew replied. “I’m glad they’re doing well then.”

                “How was Japan?” Joon asked. He suddenly couldn’t think of anything else to say.

                “It was pretty nice. The concerts were a little shocking to the fans I think, but it was a lot of fun. Did you see any videos?”

                “Maybe a few,” Joon lied. He’d watched every video he could get his hands on. “I…I saw that one where you held your last note for twenty-five seconds. That was amazing.”

                “Thanks,” Onew said, a huge smile breaking out across his face. “I’m happy that you’re impressed.”

                Of course Joon was impressed. Onew never failed to amaze him. Onew was great on variety shows, where Joon was less than confident. He had a great voice, to which there was no way Joon could ever hope to compare. And though Joon liked his own smile, Onew’s outshone his by the brightness of a million suns.

                That’s why the only thing Joon could hope to impress Onew with was his body.

                “Yah,” Key called. “Old man! Get in here and carry this platter. It’s too heavy for me.”

                Onew obediently went towards the kitchen, but Joon got there first.

                “I’ll carry it,” Joon grinned, hoping to show off his strength once again.

                “It’s fine, hyung, I can do it,” Onew laughed, but he let Joon carry it anyway. It was the heaviest damn dish of bulgogi he’d ever carried, but he was at least happy to note that his exercise had paid off.

                Unfortunately, it seemed that Onew had not noted such a thing.

                “It smells so good,” Onew mused as Key and Jonghyun carried the banchan out.

                “Hi, Joon-hyung,” Key said, and Jonghyun greeted him as well.

                “Hi. The food looks amazing,” he said.

                “Doesn't it?” Jonghyun chimed in. “That's what happens when Key cooks. Everything looks good. Let's just hope it tastes as good.”

                “It will,” Key said boastfully. Onew laughed his wonderful, musical laugh, and Joon couldn't help but laugh along. “Taste it. You'll see. Bon appétit, everyone.”

                They dug into the food, and as promised, it was delicious.

                “So, Joon-hyung, what have you been up to in your spare time lately?” Jonghyun asked.

                “Honestly, I've been spending all my time at the gym, or at least exercising,” he admitted.

                “Wah,” Key said, “I'm impressed.” Joon looked over at Onew instinctively, but he did not look nearly as awe-struck as Key did.

                “You've been eating well though, right?” Onew asked, and Joon nodded. Onew looked satisfied. “Good. You need to take care of yourself.”

                After dinner, Joon was feeling extremely frustrated with the fact that he still hadn't been able to impress Onew.

                Which is why he challenged Jonghyun to an arm-wrestling match. Onew moderated the match.

                Jonghyun was a difficult opponent but eventually Joon became the victor. Onew smiled at him but still looked completely normal, much to Joon's chagrin.

                Time absolutely flew by, and before they knew it, Saturday night had become Sunday morning. Taemin was falling asleep against Minho’s shoulder and even Key was looking sleepy.

                “I have a schedule around eight,” Joon said, standing up. “I guess I’d better go. It was nice seeing you all.”

                “Dubu-hyung, go show Joon-hyung out the door,” Key commanded. Onew smiled and stood up as well.

                “Of course I will,” Onew said, following Joon to the door. “Hyung,” he said once Joon had put on his jacket again, “you look disappointed.”

                “I…I mean,” Joon said. He just wanted to tell Onew how he felt. “I can never impress you. I’ve been trying all night and no matter what I do I’m still Joonie-hyung to you and nothing more. I can’t help the fact that I’m frustrated.”

                Onew looked surprised.

                “What’s wrong with being Joonie-hyung?” he asked.

                “It’s because I’m not your Joonie-hyung,” Joon replied quietly, looking at the ground. “I love you, Onew.”

                Onew took Joon’s chin in his fingers and pushed it upwards so that Joon and Onew’s eyes met.

                “What makes you think that you’re not my Joonie-hyung?” Onew smiled. “Did I ever say that you weren’t mine?”

                “What?” Joon asked, suddenly surprised. “Am I?”

                “Of course you are,” Onew said, giving Joon his brilliant smile again, his eyes becoming thin little lines of joy. Joon loved that eyesmile. “I love you too, Joonie-hyung.”

                Joon grinned a smile to rival Onew’s as he wrapped his arms around Onew’s waist. He leaned in and kissed Onew’s warm lips ever so slightly. They stood in a warm embrace for several of the best seconds of Joon’s life.

                “And for the record, hyung,” Onew whispered into Joon’s ear, “your abs are impressive.”