Health Class 1/1

Health Class

 

"We watch a movie in health class today," your friend remarks, and you glance up from your book quickly before stuffing a fry in your mouth to try and hide the gleeful expression on your face.

 

"I saw that," your friend says, and you simply flip a page in the book you're reading, still smiling widely inwardly.

 

You love it when you watch movies in health class because he sits in front of you. Yes, him. The cute panda-eyed, slender male who looks slightly intimidating at first, but then he opens his mouth—and, oh yes—it's like a thousand angels are singing around you because you can't help but love the soft tone that emerges from his lips.

 

His name is Tao, and to you, he is perfect. He has it all—looks, voice, personality—and yet he remains so shy and quiet. He's nothing like those boys in the school that get all up in your face like Jonghyun. It's like he doesn't even know the effect he has on people, but whenever he speaks, even the sullen-faced boy in your health class can't help but smile.

 

Well, it's not like the sullen-faced, blond-haired boy couldn't smile. It was more like he chose not to smile, and you were perfectly fine with that because it meant that you could see Tao acting caring and gentle. It meant that you could see Tao smiling and laughing, and his smile was absolutely wonderful—even if you liked his laugh a little better.

 

And this was why you loved watching movies in health class. Because then you could lay down your head in the seat behind Tao and simply look for a while. It wasn't your fault that his seat was directly in front of the screen! Blame the health teacher for assigning him that seat and for assigning you the one behind him. Blame the health class for aiding your crush on Tao!

 

It had started out perfectly innocent enough—just a dropped book in the hallway, a helping hand, a soft smile, a warm gaze. You had taken the book and held it to your chest, feeling a flush come to your cheeks and your heart begin to thump faster. A natural reaction, you told yourself. Anybody would have this reaction around someone so attractive. But it didn't stop, and as the year went on, you found it harder and harder to concentrate in the one class you shared, health.

 

And now here you were, sitting down in your health class and laying down your head just as the teacher dims the light.

 

"Making correct nutritional choices in life is a key factor in maintaining your personal health," the teacher says, and then the lights are off.

 

You let out a small sigh of relief and direct your eyes to the screen—no, to Tao. He is not paying attention to the screen. Instead, he is nudging the sullen-faced boy's shoulder and whispering something in his ear which makes the other boy laugh. You laugh quietly too, behind your hand, and can't help but wonder what the Tao said to make the other boy laugh.

 

Then the blond haired boy turned back and looked straight at you. Your gazes locked for a second, and then he looked away, nudging Tao. You shouldn't known what was coming next, but somehow you couldn't pick up your head and pretend to be focused on the screen. 

 

Tao's head turns back, and suddenly you are looking into his eyes, observing the dark bags under them that are omnipresent. The movie flickers behind him, illuminating his head in a halo of flickering light. 

 

The moment only lasts until your health teacher snaps, "Pay attention!" Tao's head turns back around to the front, and you immediately sit upright, putting up a pretense of paying attention to the cartoons of food that flashes across the screen. Yet, your gaze remains firmly on the back of Tao's head, wishing that he would turn around just once more. He doesn't.

 

The lights flick on, and for one second you are blinded. Then you are blinking stars out of your eyes as you slowly pack up your notebook and pencils, hoping that Tao and his friend will leave quickly. They don't. You slowly zip up your pencil bag after the last pencil is put away and swing your backpack over your shoulders, heading for the door.

 

"Excuse me," Tao says, stepping slightly in front of you to force you to stop.

 

"Yes?" you ask, worried. Of course, Tao was too polite of a guy to interrupt the class and confront you in public about being a creeper, but by now, every other student had already left the room and the health teacher seemed much more interested in searching up something on her iPhone than paying attention to a conflict between students. You looked slightly to the left of him and the sullen-faced boy—you still couldn't remember his name for the life of yourself, better start calling him Sullen-face—to avoid looking at his eyes again.

 

"You dropped this." Tao holds out a small notebook to you. It's pink, frilly, and  covered in the type of glitter that flakes off once anyone touches it. In fact, you could see the glitter falling onto Tao's skin in front of your eyes.

 

"Um, I don't think—" Sullen-face's glare cuts you off, and you are so shocked at the harsh expression that you quickly grab the journal, murmur a quick thanks, and flee the scene.

 

It's only when you're safely sinking into your seat in your next class when you open the notebook to see what's inside. A ticket and not just any ticket. It's a ticket to the school's talent show which had sold out the first day tickets started selling. And it wasn't just any ticket. It was a ticket in the front row. You're sure your mouth is hanging wide open because your friend elbows your side, whispering that the teacher keeps on looking over here because of your expression.

 

"Sorry," you quickly apologize, stowing the ticket back into the journal and placing a hand to your cheek. It's warm. And quite honestly, you find yourself losing track of the history lesson in favor of wondering over the ticket and the chance it represented.

 

* * *

 

Tao had definitely gotten the wrong person. You were sure of it because you currently didn't even have the ticket anymore as you sat in health class, fiddling with your pen as your teacher droned on about exercising daily and other things along the same line.

 

The previous day, during lunch, a girl had came up and asked for the notebook, saying that it was hers. She opened it to the last page and pointed to her name, which you had not noticed before.

 

"Ah, sorry," you had apologized, and then you had felt your stomach drop as she flipped through the pages, pulling out the ticket and began to gush over how she thought she would never see it again.

 

So, in conclusion, Tao had definitely, absolutely gotten the wrong person, and it . You would think that after being in his class for almost an entire year he would at least know your name. Let's just ignore the fact that you still can't remember Sullen-face's name.

 

"Now we'll see a short film clip on this subject," your teacher said, and the lights went off.

 

At least, you thought, laying down your head on your arms, at least I can still see him this way. It was a tender thought that dulled the pain that had been steadily rising in your chest since the pink notebook had been returned to its rightful owner.

 

This time you didn't even make an effort to look like you were paying attention to the film. No, this time you didn't have the motivation to. Not when your chest still felt like it had taken a sledgehammer. 

 

You hadn't noticed before, probably because you were never looking, but if you reached your hand out across your desk, you could just barely brush the the ends of Tao's hair. As you reached out your hand though, Sullen-face's neck jerked around, and you quickly withdrew your hand.

 

"Hey," he hissed, and you drummed your fingers innocently on the table.

 

"Hey," you whispered back quietly and then excused yourself out of the room to use the bathroom. When you got back, the film was over, and the teacher was droning on about different types of diseases that could be caused by malnutrition. Instead of listening, you spend the time crafting up a letter, one that sort of, not really dulls the feeling in your chest, but you're satisfied with it anyway. Now when class ends, you catch Tao at the doorway and nonchalantly say, "You dropped something." Then you're out of the door and running to history class without another look back.

 

* * *

 

The next day is the talent show, and no, you don't have a ticket, but yes, you will get in. It ends up that you're practically on your knees in front of one of the stage coordinators to please, pretty please let you stay behind the curtain and that you would definitely, definitely not mess a single thing up, not one single thing. It takes five minutes, and then you're peeking out behind the backstage curtain to see a bright, smiling crowd. 

 

"Thank you! Thank you!" you say, bowing your head in gratitude, and then the stage coordinator is shooing you off to do an errand.

 

"I didn't let you stay backstage for nothing!"

 

You've seen the program, so you know that Tao will be going on second, so you'd better hurry because the first person is already singing. You end up delivering the makeup kit just in time to huddle behind the curtain as a loud cheer goes up, and then Tao is walking out, slender and tall and perfect.

 

That weird feeling begins to fill your chest again, a mix of pain and pleasure, and you hastily wipe your sweaty palms against the shorts you are wearing.  The music begins to play, and you hold your breath and are shocked when he begins to rap.

 

It's completely different from the type of person he shows usually. HIs voice comes out, clear and strong, and you find yourself catching your breath as he displays an impressive high kick before continuing in his performance. Along the way, you notice that his eyes seems to be flickering around the audience. It's silly and probably a completely romantic notion, but you hope that he's looking for you.

 

As his performance comes to an end, you're about to stand up and walk away—because in all honestly, you were really only interested in Tao's performance—when Sullen-face appears in front of you and catches you arm.

 

"Hey! What's your problem?" you hiss, gritting your teeth. His grip is really hard and quite painful actually, and Tao is coming to exit the stage, except because he's exiting…he'll find you there.

 

"Where are you going?" Sullen-face asks, and you shrug.

 

"Nowhere that you should know," you snap, trying to jerk your arm away.

 

"What was the deal with that note anyway?" he asks, and you stiffen. 

 

"I don't know," you reply and then quickly try to walk away as Tao finally walks behind the curtain.

 

It ends up that Sullen-face is a lot stronger than you had expected for such a slender young man, and it also turns out that Tao's legs really are as long as they look because he's standing in front of you in no time.

 

Sullen-face lets go of your arms and walks away, tapping Tao on the shoulder as he goes. Then you are left to stand in front of Tao, and you can't figure out where to look. This time there is no movie playing to give you the safety net of distraction.

 

"Why aren't you in the audience?" Tao asks, and his voice is back to normal, quiet and so lovely that you just want to melt into a puddle on the floor.

 

"Oh, I think you gave the notebook to the wrong person," you say flippantly. "I returned it to its owner. Their name was in the back of the book."

 

Tao frowns now, and you decide that this might be the time to make your escape before you got confronted and humiliated for staring at him in class. Yes, it was just a bit creepy, but you couldn't help yourself!

 

"Look! I'm sorry," you say quietly and turn to look Tao in the eyes. It's like you're hit with a anvil, but you manage to continue. "I don't mean to stare at you. Really, I don't. It's just that…around you, it's very hard to keep my own head. I don't know. I'm sorry. I'll stop. Just please don't…" Please don't start avoiding me is what you want to say, but you trail off before you can finish because Tao is taking minuscule steps forward.

 

Then he's using those long legs of him to catch your wrist and jerk you toward him. He is not soft, all sharp angles and hard muscles, but his hands are gentle as he wraps you in his arms.

 

"That ticket was meant for you," he says quietly, and you feel your knees buckle slightly.

 

"D-did you get my letter?" you ask, and Tao nods. 

 

"This is very sudden," you say then, pushing back slightly and trying not to lose your balance as Tao does the greatest impersonation of a puppy dog that you have never seen.

 

You're sure that you're blushing bright red by now as you desperately try to maintain your cool and continue your apology. "So, yeah. I just wanted to apologize," you say and then you're turning away, completely befuddled. What did the hug mean? Maybe Tao was just a gentle person, or maybe…The whole "that ticket was meant for you" thing was very confusing as well.

 

You stop walking when Tao says your name, and you can't help but turn around because the way he says it just makes you want to run at him and give him the biggest hug known to man. 

 

"I-I-I like you," Tao stutters, and you freeze and then exclaim, "Really?"

 

Tao nods, and you rush forward to grab his hand.

 

"Now," he says quietly, wrapping his fingers around yours and squeezing slightly, "you won't have to watch from a distance anymore because I'm here."

 

"Yeah," you reply, and your heart is still thundering like a jackhammer as Tao continues to hold your hand. You hope that he never lets go.