Final

Him and I

 

“Walking in the dark with a friend is better than walking alone in the light.” –Helen Keller

 

                I agree with this.

                What’s more to say than I agree agree agree.

                Life is like a long endless tunnel. If you had someone special standing side by side with you then the journey wouldn’t seem so long and dull. But then when that person leaves, your life becomes the same old boring routine. Walk walk, stop, take a few more steps but never reach the end. Life really isn’t the same when that person leaves you. You’re left walking alone with no one to talk to, no one to care about you. It feels like a part of you left so suddenly and then you see a light. You walk out but don’t feel accomplished since the person you spent halfway of the tunnel with you is gone. Nothing would feel the same.

                But what happens when that special someone comes back? Leaving only a time and date in a message? You get that old familiar thump in your heart. A faint blush covering your face as you recalled the memories you had with that person. That was exactly how I felt for a while.

 

blondepuppy: I’m coming back to Seoul on the 6th of May! Come pick me up at the Seoul airport at 2 okay? ^3^

 

                It was sent three weeks ago. It was three weeks ago that I started feeling whole again. My face showed joy and happiness on most days prior to the blank emotionless face I had before receiving the message. It had surprised my parents and peers of course.  They had no idea of why I was suddenly joyous, not that I had any plans on telling them anytime soon. I never had a reason to be happy until that day but for some reason my mom knew. She always knew everything but I would never talk to her about it no matter how many times she bugged me about him. Embarrassing enough, I’m still a teenager, discussing my private life wasn’t on my to-do list.

                Two weeks later, I received yet another message from him on the day before the meeting.

 

blondepuppy: Aigoo, sorry hyung! My flight was cancelled. ;A; It got changed to next week. Wait for me then! :D

 

                My face had fallen when I read it. The happiness rapidly leaving me as an evident amount of despair appeared across my features. Only one more week. I had lain onto my bed, my arm under my head as I stared at the ceiling.

Yang Yoseob

                The name floated around my head, past images of him popping up. I had seen him only once since he departed for Japan five years ago. It wasn’t directly either. Yoseob had sent a photo of him in his new room while smiling widely. He had dyed his hair blonde just before leaving to Japan. Since then, we had talked to each other on the phone and sent texts to one another. But never once have we seen each other face to face. There was one day last year that Yoseob had requested for a face time. But I denied it saying that I had just placed on acne cream and looked like a monster. To that, Yoseob texted back saying maybe next time. I didn’t know when next time was, I didn’t know what he meant by that. The truth was that I was scared to see him. I was scared to see how much he had changed. Was he still the cute bright boy I knew? Or maybe has he changed into a rebellious fighter?

                My heart fluttered whenever I was with him when we were young. Being only 13, I didn’t know what my feelings to him were. Only then when he left that I realized that these were feelings of a person in love. This kept me wondering, would Yoseob feel the same if I told him? Was he even interested in boys in the first place? What if he got a girlfriend in Japan? These questions swirled around my mind until the day I asked him if he had a girlfriend. He replied no and I instantly felt infinity times relieved.

                A week had passed since the delay. I leaned against the pillar holding my phone tightly. What is Yoseob didn’t recognize me? What if I couldn’t recognize him? I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair. I stared at the gateway as people walked out one at a time. I looked down to check the time on my watch. It was 2:12. Where is he? I scanned around the people in front of me but saw no sign of the boy I was looking for. One male did catch my eye for a second though but he had jet black hair. It’s not him. At that moment, the boy noticed me. He strutted over with long strides. As he got closer, I felt my breath get caught in my throat, my heart pounding loudly in my ears. Wha…Yoseob still had the same colored hair from the past before he colored it, black with no tints of blonde. His cheeks still a bit chubby and his eyes shining. His lips into a jubilant grin.

                “Ah it is you Junhyung hyung! I wasn’t sure at first.” Yoseob took a step back to scan me up and down. “Wowie, looks like time had no affect on you huh? Long time no see hyung! Didja miss me? Cause I sure missed you! Wah I miss being in Seoul!” He squealed. My face froze as I scanned the face of the person I adored for so long. He looked the same except for the fact that he was a tad taller than I was. I didn’t care for that though; all it mattered was that he still had the same affect on my heart. I was worried for nothing. My face relaxed and my lips curled into a relieved yet happy smile. My heart soared as the object of my affection continued to smile. I reached out and hugged the latter.

                “Welcome back Yoseob.”

 

We’ll reach the end together.