So close every time

When Key cooks chicken

His lips were moist. He could smell it, and practically taste it on his tongue.  Onew’s lips curled into a smile.  Key was making chicken.  Onew quietly opened the door to the apartment, and went through to the kitchen.  Key was standing over the stove, wearing a pink apron tied around him.  Onew slid up behind him, and put his arms over the boy’s shoulders.

“Yeobo,” he said jokingly. “I’m home!”  Key shook him off impatiently, frowning.

“Stop it, or I might splatter the grease!”  Onew was put out only for a second.  He looped his arms around key’s waist, and tugged him backwards slightly.  Key twisted around angrily, to face Onew, and then gulped nervously.  His anger had gone as soon as it had come, for now, Onew’s face was only inches from his own.  Key felt blood rush into his cheeks, as he turned scarlet.  Onew leaned in closer, his eyes fluttering. Their lips were only centimeters apart. Pop!

“Ow!” Key cried out and his face contorted. His arm, which had been resting back near the stove, had been hit with a splattering of grease.  Onew’s arms fell instantly and he urgently grasped Key’s wrist, and led him to the sink.  He gently took Key’s burned arm and let the cool water from the faucet splash over it.

“It hurts so badly.” Key said, his eyes filling with tears.  Onew looked at him.

“I can make it better.” He whispered, and bent over and kissed the burn softly.  Key laughed quietly.

“It feels better.” He looked into Onew’s eyes, and then a sudden awareness overtook him.  “Onew, the chicken! It’s burning!”

“Noo! Chicken!” Onew sobbed as he sprinted to the stove to save his favorite food.  A sigh of relief escaped him, as he noted triumphantly that the chicken had indeed not burned. He turned back to Key, to show the evidence of his rescue, and slipped.  The pan of chicken clattered onto the floor, spilling everywhere. Onew, being somewhat lucky, wasn’t splattered.  He sank to the floor and nearly wept at his loss.  Key looked at him, somewhat bothered.

“Onew, it’s not a big deal. I can make more chicken”

“But it’s such a waste,” he cried pathetically.  Key slowly approached him and bent down to his level.

“Do you love chicken more than me?” Key asked in a dangerously low voice.  “Was saving me not enough?”  Onew sniffled and looked into Key’s eyes.  Key put his hand behind Onew’s neck and pulled him in, again, only centimeters apart. Onew could feel Key’s breath on his face, and he closed his eyes.

“Umma! Hyung!”  Taemin’s voice rang out from the front door. “Are you guys here?”  Key and Onew scrambled apart from each other, blushing crimson. Taemin bobbed into the kitchen.

“Umma,” he said to Key.  “Do we have any banana milk?”  Taemin squinted at the pair, with concern.

“Why are your faces so red?”  Taemin eyed the mess of chicken on the floor.  “Did you guys get burned on your faces!”  Key went to the refrigerator, got out the milk, and then set it down in front of Taemin.  He glanced to Onew, and they shared a secret smile.   Onew’s phone went off with a message from Minho and Jonghyun.

“I have to go.” He said, looking disappointed. He glanced at Taemin and sighed.  “Only alone for so long, and it wasn’t even long enough.”  Taemin looked at him, his face scrunched with confusion.  He paced up to Key and put his lips to his ear.

“We will finish this later.” He said with a predatory look.  Key blushed harder, but secretly anticipated the time when their lips would get closer than a couple of centimeters.

The End