Chapter 2

Endlessly

 

  Yoona slowly opened her eyes, only to shut them close instantly as the blinding rays of sun greeted her. She frowned after her eyes have adjusted to the light, she was back again at the place she wishes to left, at least for her last days. Everything is a blur to her; she doesn’t know what had happened next after she fainted. For all she knows, she had met a man, and that man had ruined everything she had planned.

  Yoona sighed as she turned to face the side of the door. Unknowingly, a tear found its way out of her eye. Is it that much to ask for freedom whilst you still have the chance? Yoona had sight once again.

  “Im Yoona-shi?” Slowly, Yoona titled her head to face the new figure at the door frame. As she saw his face, Yoona had sighed, yet again. She slowly positioned herself comfortably, resting her back against the wall as her hands were uncomfortably fidgeting on her lap.

  Yoona tried to avert the man’s gaze, keeping her attention at her restless hands. “Im Yoona-shi” the man cleared his throat, catching Yoona’s attention as he slowly paced towards her.

  Hesitantly, Yoona diverted her gaze at the man. He was wearing a clean, spotless white coat, wearing a half-moon spectacle. He was a kind-looking man, with his youthful features even though he’s already in his mid 40’s. “Doctor Park, I…” Yoona tried to reason out, but stopped mid-sentence when her mind gave her no good alibi.

  “I really don’t want to hear another lie Yoona-shi… I recall prohibiting you leaving the hospital premises, didn’t I?” He said, although calm, there’s a hint of bitterness and annoyance in his voice. Yoona lowered her head and nodded stiffly. She had resumed averting his gazes once again. “Yoona-shi I presume you knew how lethal your condition is, I---“

  “It’s not that lethal, you sounded as though as I’m the most dangerous person in this building. I know how limited my time is on Earth, I acknowledge that part very well, and thanks for reminding me every time you see me. Doctor, I----“ Yoona was exasperated. She had heard enough of how worst her condition is, of how people tried to cage her, of how people tried to dictate her how she should live her life. 

  Yoona is not the type to listen and to follow orders; she wasn’t used to people ordering her around. She is egoistic, she doesn’t mind what people think about her, she does what she wants, she does what she likes, and most importantly it’s her life.

  “Yoona-shi, you know that’s not what I meant, what I mean is----“

  “I know what you mean, and trust me, I understand your intentions. But Doctor Park, I’m sick of seeing the same surrounding every single day. I’m tired of seeing and meeting the same people every day. I---“

  “Im Yoona-shi, I forbid you and please comply with it” Doctor Park said his sentence firmly and with finality. He lowered his spectacles and glanced firmly at her. Yoona sighed; it was useless talking to him with such matters. He’s a doctor; he has his own perspective of how to enjoy living, although she wonders what kind of fun does he sees inside the hospital. It’s surely no fun hearing people scream and cried out of pain, grief, and sorrow. And it’s definitely no fun witnessing people lost their lives right in front of your eyes.

  “I… alright” Yoona said her words between her gritted teeth.

  Yoona hated it when she lost in a battle; she was not used to losing, except with her illness. But she had accepted it; it doesn’t mean she lost right? She would not accept if people say accepting and losing are the same. Although she doesn’t know if it’s the same or not, but she stand by her decision, it’s not the same.

  Yoona watched Doctor Park as he disappeared out of her sight with resentment. She hates being locked up and being helpless; but of course, Yoona is not the type to give up on something that easily, she was never the type to listen. So, tonight, she will regain her freedom once again.

 

  All throughout the day, Yoona did nothing but to think of what she should do and how to accomplish it. Of course, to her dismay, a nurse was sent in to guard her. Yoona had the urge to pull her hair out, pull them out of frustration. She had never felt so locked up, like a notorious prisoner behind the bars. But of course, she stopped herself from doing so. Yoona had slowly reached the level where she loses her hair, and she’s not going to help her cancer cells by pulling her own hair, that’s their job, not hers.

  Yoona had obediently lain on her bed the moment the nurse had asked her to sleep. Although humiliated by the way the nurse had treated her--- like a little kid; she followed, for she needed to give her the impression she’s up to no harm or anything reckless. Yoona had wasted her time pretending to be asleep; opening her eyes a fraction to check on the nurse. And as she saw how wide awake and attentive she is, Yoona felt rather frustrated and irritated. Midnight, Yoona had made a mental note to sneak out during midnight, for she was a hundred and ten percent sure, the nurse would be asleep by then.

  Just two more hours…Yoona keeps on reminding herself that as she tries to keep her attention into listening to the loud tick of the clock, becoming more impatient as each second pass by.

  Just two more hours… she’s just two hours away from freedom.

 

 

****

 

 

  He sat on a chair in his dining room, too immersed in his train of thoughts. His first day was quite interesting, something he would never expect. He was contemplating his actions, although it was rather uncomfortable, he felt at ease. He considered himself to be insane for a moment, for the way he contradicts his own feelings, his own emotions, but, if he’ll be honest --- he’ll probably give the same answer: Uncomfortable, yet at ease.

  Luhan, who kept his mind about the incidents earlier, was also bothered by something; or someone instead. He had not forgotten about the lady from last night, but his experienced today had made him forget about her, at least for a moment.

  Today, while strolling at a district market, Luhan passed by a CF shooting, unfortunately, the male lead had caught some sickness and the crew was in need of an immediate replacement, being a simple passer-by, Luhan was bewildered when a staff had asked him to film for a sheer 30 second CF. Luhan, whose interest lies in watching other people, had refused many times, as to why he had agreed in the end, he was unsure himself. Nonetheless, the whole new experienced had made him felt something, something he cannot put into words, he cannot decide whether it’s a nice or a bad feeling, but he liked keeping things unanswered.

  He had found himself fearing for concrete answers, he’d rather want things unanswered than knowing the real answer and be hurt. He knows he’s being pessimistic, but that’s what he is all his life, a pessimist who refused to grab the opportunity. But he prefer such life, being on the safe side, at least he can prevent himself from harming other people and being harmed.

  Luhan wrapped his hands around the cup of tea in front of him. He scanned his surroundings, he has nothing to boast, but he doesn’t like boasting as well. His apartment was a studio type apartment, it was not because it’s all he could afford, but he likes being convenient wandering around his own flat. He rather wants a house where he can see all rooms, than having a big one, especially when you’re living alone.

  Luhan had finished planning his to-do-list for tomorrow, although he doesn’t have an organized thought, Luhan still prefer for things to run smoothly, at least that’s what he’s supposed to do when he decided to come here. To live in a more organized way. And though hesitant, Luhan had added into his list about visiting a hospital.

  He would visit her, he would. He just needs to make sure, she’s alright; wandering at night outside at such condition, he wonders what had happened to her. And because he couldn’t visit her tonight, since it’s nearly midnight and obviously visitation hours had passed hours ago, he would visit her tomorrow.

  He would pay her a visit tomorrow, as for now….

  Luhan decided to stroll along the park, midnight, for him, is the best time to wander. And with that, he grabbed his jacket and head for the door.

  It will be a fun adventure… it was always fun strolling during night, Luhan thought.

 

 

 

****

 

 

  Yoona slowly opened her eye, checking her surroundings once again. The lights were off, and there’s no people talking either. She directed her gaze at the nurse who was sitting on the couch near the door. Yoona didn’t move for a minute, making sure the latter is having a deep slumber. When she heard her cue, the nurse’s snore, Yoona slowly and carefully took off her cover, putting all her effort into sneaking out quietly. She would wince at the slightest noise she would make, but the snores would always give her confirmation that’s its safe to go.

  Yoona decided to bring nothing but herself; she didn’t even change her clothes. She thinks those would be unnecessary, especially at this moment.

  Tip-toeing towards her emergency exit—the window, Yoona keeps on glancing back at the nurse, just to make sure she’s unconscious. Gingerly, Yoona slid the window once again, making sure she slid it as soundless as she could. Glancing back at the nurse once again, Yoona slid herself in between when…

  She heard a loud yawn, terrified, Yoona froze in her spot. She slowly tilted her head back at the nurse only to find out she had stand from her position…

  “You…” She pointed towards the window, her voice faltered as she saw an on-the-run patient

  Yoona quickly slipped her remaining parts out of the window. She stumbled and tripped countless times as she runs out of the hospital premises. She choose not to look back as she run away, hearing shouts and yells back at her room. Right now, all she needs is to be out of that place and to have a place where she can hide, momentarily.

 

 

    Yoona found herself back in the park; she stopped for a moment to catch her breath. Panting, she reached for one of the benches and leaned herself. Yoona glanced at her back once again, no sign of people trying to catch her, she relaxed herself a bit, just trying to have her heart beating normally again.

  Yoona closed her eyes for a second, gripping her chest as she felt the pain striking her weak body. Yoona flinched at the pain; it was a bad choice to run that much when she knew her body could not afford being exhausted to such extent, nevertheless, Yoona felt relieved.

  “You… again?”

  Yoona opened her eyes abruptly, scared that they have caught up to her, but to her dismay, the man from last night was standing in front of her.

  “You…” Yoona narrowed her eyes, and suddenly her blood boiled “You were the reason why I had a tough time escaping the hospital! I begged you last night not to bring me to the hospital but what did you do huh?! You----“ Yoona had never felt so furious again, she had never felt so enraged for the past three years, not until last night, and tonight.

  “Whoa, whoa! I did you a favor last night, if not for me, you could have died here!” The man was indignant and defiant, he would not allow such girl to step down on his pride, especially not when she knew nothing about him.

  “I’d rather die outside than to be rotten inside that place! I----“ Yoona was cut off when she heard a loud voice nearby, shouting her name. Yoona stiffened for a moment, and then realized she was with somebody. Abruptly, Yoona regained her cool composure; glaring at him for the last time, she paced forward.

  “Where are you going?” The man asked curiously

  “None of your---“

  “The last time I check the hospital is that way, not that way” He said, pointing at the exact opposite of her direction. Yoona became rather impatient and agitated; she cannot stay there for long.

  “Look mister, I am not going back to that doomed place, for the past three years of my life, I did nothing but to cage myself--- no let me rephrase that, they did nothing but to caged me on the confines of my ward. Right now, I want to enjoy my life, I’m not letting such stupid sickness ruined my freedom, I----“

  “There!” That shout made Yoona cursed under her breath and she started running forward. Luhan, who was shut quiet with her words, had grabbed her wrist and dragged her away from the park. Yoona blinked her eyes but followed him anyways. They run; he run so much fast that she couldn’t help but to stumble and tripped numerous times, but because he’s gripping her wrist, she was able to prevent herself from getting hurt.

 

 

  After some minutes, Yoona and the man have hid themselves in a dark alley. Yoona leaned against the wall, panting once again. The man was doing the same, standing as a lookout for the both of them

  “I…You…Why…Run…Why…” Yoona said between her heavy breathing, gripping her chest once again and wincing at the immeasurable pain.

  “You…what?!” The man asked, catching his breath as well. “Quiet, they’re near” he hissed as he pulled himself back into the darkness.

  They waited patiently as a couple of hospital workers passed by. Yoona felt relieved that they didn’t catch their sights. After a few more minutes of silence, Yoona, together with the man, slowly exited the alley.

  While walking along the streets, the man abruptly stopped. “I’m Luhan. Xi Luhan, I’m Chinese so don’t confuse yourself” he said. Yoona narrowed her eyes but nodded anyways.

  “I’m Yoona. Im Yoon…a…” and the last thing Yoona knew, she had fell unconscious again.

 

 

****

 

 

  He was silently watching her sleep, glancing back at her whenever she’ll move or groan. Luhan had brought Yoona in his own flat, he first thought of bringing her back at the hospital, but did not, for if he did, their escape would be meaningless.

  Every thirty minutes, Luhan would place a wet towel on her forehead. Her breathings had calmed a bit but she would still breath deep. Luhan grew very worried, he had never felt so worried again, and he had never worry about anyone for the past three years except for himself.

  Yoona groaned and she slowly opened her eyes, rubbing her temples as she did so. “I…” seeing the white ceiling, Yoona abruptly sat on the bed, regret came after as she felt dizzy.

  “Easy missy, you’re in my place” A warm jovial voice said. Yoona adjusted herself and opened her eyes once again

  “You didn’t…” her voice trailed off as she scanned her surroundings

  “I’m not an idiot, why would I run with you if I would only bring you back at the place you wish to leave” He said flatly, mocking her at how stupid her question is.

  “I….” Yoona couldn’t think of words to say, of course she felt guilty, she had shouted at him earlier, but here he is, saving her .

  Luhan chuckled, he wasn’t sure what was there to laugh at, but her expression made him chuckled. He cleared his throat before saying, “a simple thank you would work”

  Yoona looked at him with confusion, wondering what the hell is funny. “I….” she hesitated for a while, she wasn’t really used to saying ‘thank you’ if that person is not Haejun, or Haejun’s parents, or the hospital staffs, but still… “Thank you” she inaudibly muttered.

  “Although I would prefer if you said that a little louder, still, thank you accepted” He said, smiling at her direction. “How do you feel now? Better?”

  “I guess, I… I’m not really supposed to run, you know --- weak body”

  Luhan nodded, he stands up from his spot and grabbed the basin at the bedside table, and “You want anything?” he asked

  Yoona shook her head, gazing at the wall clock ahead “It’s nearly five o’clock in the morning, I…” she diverted her attention at him who is now rinsing the used basin “you didn’t stay up the whole time I’m unconscious right?”

  “I did. But please don’t be disillusioned, I did it because I’m afraid you’d die in my place and people would blame me for your death, you family might sue me if they----“

  “No. I’m not disillusioning” Yoona said flatly. She scanned the whole place and noticed that there’s only one bed, Yoona took the covers off her when Luhan asked “what are you doing?”

  “It’s your house, you should sleep on your bed” She said in a matter-of-fact

  “I know. But the problem is: you’re a girl and apparently, you are sick. If only you’re not, I might have pushed you off my bed and let you sleep everywhere in the house except on my bed, and be nonchalant about your condition.” He said casually, his arms crossed in front of his chest.

  Yoona raised an eyebrow “You’re not up to something are you?” she asked, suspiciously.

  Luhan’s eyes widened in disbelief, he was half amused at her self-esteem and at the same time partially annoyed by her ego. “Pardon?”

  “I mean, you know….” Yoona felt uncomfortable, but she tried to remain calm and reserved.

  Luhan scoffed “Sorry to burst your bubble, but, no, I will not do anything to you. You’re not my type either. Look at how slim you are, and look at how pale you are! You looked like a zombie on the loose!” Luhan said with sarcasm, smirking as he saw Yoona rolled her eyes.

  “Whatever” Yoona turned to face the bed once again, feeling rather comfortable now, she added “and also, I do not look that bad” she pulled the cover, covering half of her body---the lower part. “Right?” she added, expectantly waiting for a ‘no’.

  Luhan chuckled once again, “No”. Yoona’s eyes brightened, but then…

  “You’re worst” he added, and right at that moment, Yoona had felt crestfallen, she scoffed and pulled the cover once again, covering her entire body. Luhan tried to suppress his laughter.

  Weird, he hadn’t laughed like that for a long time, it was a nice feeling, and he can’t help it either. She’s one tough and difficult lady, but he just can’t help but laugh at her. “Good night, Yoona-shi” he said before turning off the lights.

  “Correction, it’s good morning already, it’s nearly five in the morning” Yoona said, stifled.

  “I…”

  “Anyways, good night to you too… Luhan-shi”

  And a smile crept onto Luhan’s face before he shut his eyes closed. “Sleep well” he muttered.

 

 



 

 

 

[A/N] So here's chapter two. It's confusing right?! xDD Especially the Luhan's part in the CF, it's a bit --- no! A lot out of place, but ... I don't know, I'm just a weird author just like that xDDD. And just to clear some matters, No, Luhan is not completely softening or opening up to Yoona, but why did he helped her? Remember Luhan had come to Korea for he wants to organize his life, to live in the present and to learn how to accept the past. Yoona, on the other hand had said something, and that was her last sentence before they had ran. Luhan was intrigued by her pesonality, for Yoona is a exteriorly frail, but very strong inside. And with a body and condition like hers, Luhan had just found her, amusing. Luhan was very much amused by Yoona's self-esteem and how blunt she can be. So, this chapter shows more about Luhan, I guess?! xDD I dunno, I just felt it like that, he helped Yoona to escape, he helped her throughout the night ( he even took care of her). Yeah, that's just that. But, no, Luhan has nothing towards Yoona, maybe he just found her that interesting, and that's all. And Yoona! I told you, Yoona had changed over the span of three years, but Yoona always put up a facade whenever she's around strangers, so, no, the old Yoona is gone, she's just trying her best to put her(the old Yoona) back around strangers, but the Yoona now is very understanding, approachable, very sweet, very mature thought very rebellious, she's just very different from her previous characteristics.

YEAH! That's all, so forgive me for this chapter... boring aye?! xCCC. Leave comments, that's all xD and....

PS: Please just don't mind the grammatical errors/typos (I do not really check the whole content after typing them down --- blame my laziness, xDD BUMMER!) Also,,, not a native speaker here xDDD. Dazzz'all yo xDD