#1: White Day

Pink Romance (Boyfriend one-shots)

 

Please check out my other story as well. Thank you!!

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/145430/lost-in-shadows-minwoo-youngmin-kwangmin-boyfriendband-donghyun-hyunseong-jeongmin 

--

Story title: White Day 

Member: Minwoo

--

They'd been at the nearby playground, two little kids sprawled out at the bottom of the yellow and blue slides.

“Oppa gave candy to his girlfriend today.” She told him, “And appa did the same to omma.”

“Really?” Minwoo had asked, his mouth a tiny ‘o’, “Appa did the same…and I asked for some but he said no.” The boy frowned slightly. The candy had looked really good.

“I think they did the same things last year too…” she thought out loud. “Do you think it’s some special day?”

Minwoo shrugged. “Nobody’s told me anything about that.”

“But you always don’t know anything.” She teased.

“Hey, that’s not true-“

“Well, I think it’s a special day.” She stated, interrupting his protest on purpose, “A day when guys give candy to girls. Like appa did to omma.”

She paused for a while as she turned to face Minwoo, looking at him as if just realising something.

“Hey, you’re a guy, right?” She asked, with the innocence expected of a child.

Minwoo’s eyes widened. “Yeah! Of course I am!” The boy exclaimed, his face flushed.

“Then, shouldn’t you give me candy?” She pouted.

Minwoo blinked. “I don’t know.”

“Yah! Then you owe me candy!” She grinned cheekily, “I heard appa call it White Day. You owe me White Day candy!” She rolled off the slide and giggled. “Minwoo, you better not forget!”

The boy looked at her with wide eyes, “But we don’t even know what White Day actually is…”

He watched as his friend ignored him on purpose, jumping about the playground like a hyperactive bunny. He shrugged and then joined in as well, laughing. At the back of his mind, he was trying his darnest to remember where his umma kept the sweets in their house. Surely she wouldn’t mind if he took some…it wasn’t meant for him, anyway…
-

They sat on the swings, side by side, not actually swinging them but just sitting there, staring at the blue sky, enjoying each other’s company. They were too old to use the slides now, which was sad because they both knew they wanted to. But those were reserved for the smaller children, not them. They were supposed to have grown out of it by now.

“How’s acting?” She asked, curious.

“It’s fun.” Minwoo grinned. “The staff noonas are always taking care of me and giving me sweets, though umma doesn’t let me take them.”

She laughed. “Oppa didn’t let me have his sweets today either. Though I think that’s because he’s giving it to his girlfriend.”

“Ne? Oh, I forgot it’s Wh-” Minwoo got cut off as two of their classmates came running towards them.

“Wah, Minwoo and Soomin together. ” one of them grinned mischievously.

“Minwoo and Soomin sitting of a tree. K-I-S-S-I-N-G.” The other sang, “Wait till I tell the others.”

“Yah! She’s just- she’s just a friend!” Minwoo’s face was red.

“She’s a girl!” They exclaimed at the same time, then high-fived each other. “Minwoo and Soomin, sitting on a tree. K-I-S-“

“Yah!” The boy jumped off the swing, embarrassed and a little frustrated, and interrupted their taunts by running after them. Soomin watched as Minwoo chased them around the place. The last time that same pair of boys had about liking a male classmate, she’d simply stepped forward and punched them, right in front of the class. It’d been a bit of a rash decision and her teacher definitely hadn’t appreciated the act of violence from her nine-year-old student but…they were so irritating! And Minwoo was just a friend! How could they…

She sighed. Her cheeks still felt hot. Surely they wouldn’t tell her friends about this? They wouldn’t like it. They hated boys…she sighed again.
-

“Minwoo!”

He turned around to see her rushing towards him, her heavy backpack nearly falling off her shoulders with the movement.

He grinned, “Annyong.”

“Do you…er, do you have anything on this afternoon? Are you free?” She asked, while catching her breath.

He raised his eyebrows. “Aniyo, there’s nothing on. I’m free. Why?”

“Er…” she paused a bit, looking slightly uncomfortable, “Do you wanna hang out? Like…erm, do anything, actually. Yeah.”

“Ne?” He asked, not really understanding.

“Do you…do you want to watch a movie together this afternoon?” She asked. He noticed how she kept looking around them, scanning the hallway nervously. He wondered what it was all about. What was troubling his friend?

He nodded slowly, “Alright… I’m completely free, anyway. But why the sudden plan?”

She bit her lip, “I’ll…I’ll explain it later? And thanks…” With that, she waved goodbye and rushed back into the sea of students, not even giving him time to wave back. In all honesty, it made him feel a bit worried…

“Can you tell me what this is all about now?” He asked as they strolled through the mall, even adding a pout at the end.

“Hey, no aegyo!” She exclaimed, making him laugh. He knew she was a complete er for it.

“Soomin-ah…” he put his hands together and looked at her with an adorable expression, layering his voice with even more aegyo. “Soomin…”

“Yah! When did you get like this?” She shoved him lightly, though her cheeks wore a tinge of pink.

“Well, I’m only doing it because you’re not telling me.” He sighed, “I’ll like to know why my good friend seems so troubled today. “

She hesitated, “If
..If I tell you, you’ll think I’m a .”

That shocked him a bit. “I’ll never ever think of you as that.” His answer was immediate. Why could he need to even consider it? It was completely true. She could be a bit high-strung at times, or hyperactive, but she was a lovely girl who had, as long as he had known her (which was quite long, actually) put others before herself and never said anything bad about others, even though he knew there was a clique in her class that was always going against her.

“Young Ji, Hana…they were kind of teasing me about…not having a boyfriend yet? And they…well, it felt more than teasing. They said a ton of awful stuff and it made me feel like crap and so I…I didn’t really think about it, I just shouted that I did have a boyfriend and then they asked who and the first person I thought about….I told them ‘Minwoo’ and then they looked at me, incredulous and said that if they spotted me leaving school alone and not going out with him and some crap like that, they’ll confirm that I’m…I’m…they said a lot of …a lot of things. And I’m a because that means I’m using you now and…” she didn’t expect it but a tear rolled down her cheek. The stuff they had said hurt and she felt so bad for bringing her good friend into it.

He wasn’t saying anything in reply and that made her feel worse. “I’m sorry. I just…I know they’re mean but I didn’t expect them to go so overboard just because it’s White Day and I’m single… I’m so sorry, I need to start thinking before I do things….”

“I hate them.”

Soomin looked up at him and realised then, that even though they’d known each other since they were four, she’d never actually seen him get really angry before. He’d always been a cheery kid so it completely surprised her to see him looking so murderous.

“What’s their problem?” He exclaimed, “They’re always picking on people and now they’ve used something like White Day to insult others? White Day? It’s a day of love and they’re treating it like being single on this day is the most horrendous thing ever? For Pete’s sake, we’re only 15!”

“Soomin.” He looked at her, with less fire in his eyes now and said seriously, “They’re the es. Please, please don’t think otherwise. And having a boyfriend on White Day doesn’t mean anything, anything at all. It just…You know what? It just means getting candy.” He forced a smile and seeing her laugh a bit made him feel better.

Minwoo bought a box of sweets for her after the movie and when Soomin finished them at home, she couldn’t make herself throw away the pink container. She put the heart-shaped box into her drawer and scribbled “White day with Minwoo” on a piece of paper and stuck in on top. She was a bit confused about how she felt but she knew she needed to do that, to make sure there was a tangible version of a memory she never wanted to forget.
-

“Happy White Day.” He spoke into the phone.

“Isn’t that tomorrow?” She asked, using her fingers to count the days.

“Yeah but…” he looked around at his group members, majority of which were fast asleep, “We’re leaving for Thailand tomorrow for a performance. I thought I’ll just…”

“What? Thailand?” In her surprise, she had practically shouted into the phone.

“Soomin-ah…” he winced, “I like being able to hear. Please don’t take that away from me.”

“Mianhae…but seriously?”

“Yeah, and after that, we still have a performance in Taiwan…I love performing but it’s going to be so tiring…” Minwoo sighed.

“Minwoo fighting!” She cheered, “Wish we could meet up soon, actually. But seems like you’re really busy…”

“Minwoo!” His manager called to him. He noticed that the other Boyfriend members had already left the room.

“Was that your manager? You better go then. ” she said, then hung up on him, knowing he wouldn’t do so until she did.

Minwoo stared at the phone for a few seconds before stuffing it into his pocket, knowing his manager was getting impatient. He hadn’t seen her since Lunar New Year, when the company allowed them to go home. He missed her, really. And it was White Day too. He never thought about it till now but…they’d spend every White Day together, ever since they were kids. Even when they hadn’t known what White Day even was. And he loved to spend it with her, listen to her talk about the most random things, be by her side as they strolled down the street, not really knowing where they were heading but simply enjoying each other’s company…he missed her. He missed sliding down those long plastic slides with her, pretending they were flying as the wind swept their hair back. He missed sitting on the swing and telling her about his day and listening to her as she made a hilarious account of hers, missed chasing after that pair of annoying classmates together because they insisted on teasing them about things that they didn’t think were true, that made them embarrassed though they didn’t quite know why. He missed seeing her smile, the bubbly smile that was always there when they walked home from school together, even though he knew that the girls had given her a hard time again. He missed the way her cheeks turned pink when he tested out his aegyo on her, or when he had bought her the box of sweets on White Day, telling her not to think about it and simply take it, because he hadn’t been sure what he was doing either. He had just wanted to see her happy again. In fact, he never ever wanted to see her sad but now that he wasn’t there anymore, he wouldn’t even know it if she was. Life as an idol was what he thought he wanted and she’d cheered him on the whole way. When being a Starship trainee exhausted him, he’ll sometimes skip the classes and go to her house instead, though she always shoved him out of it when she found out, telling him he couldn’t just let it end there. She’d been there at his debut performance, wincing as fangirls screamed in her ears but he’d noticed she’d screamed as well, even made a banner. He sneaked her backstage after that and he’d hugged her, not really thinking about it but just feeling so grateful. The snickers from his group members made him realise what it looked like but he’d ignored it for that moment, not wanting to care about the implications because hugging her felt right, maybe a bit late too, like he should have already done so before… And although her face was a tinge pink, she’d been beaming even when she went back home. Sometimes, he felt that…maybe the both of them could…but it was difficult now, when he was so busy. He’ll be happy if he could just see her again.
-

She was way too old for this.

Her legs could easily touch the ground and the seat cut into her hips but she remained on the swing, watching the wind-blown leaves of the trees nearby flutter and fall. She used her feet to shift the fallen leaves on the ground, left, right, left, right…A tad mindless but she hadn’t much to do. She wasn’t actually sure why she was there, to be honest. She had simply felt the need to visit the playground again.

“Here…” he’d been so shy about it that day, looking down at the floor as he outstretched his hands, his fingers clutching a small green lollipop tightly, extending it towards her. She’d been her shameless self, taken it with a wide smile and opened the wrapper immediately, stuffed it into with a satisfied grin. Looking at her actions now, with the eyes of an 18 year old, Soomin found it horribly embarrassing…though she did remember being absolutely delighted that Minwoo had actually given her candy. (Of course, she’d specifically asked for it from him.) She remembered her six year old self smiling all the way home. He’d made her really happy that day…he’d always made her happy. When she was troubled or frustrated or close to tears and refusing to admit it…he’d been there, to make her smile again. He was always making her smile…

It’d been more than a year since they had met up in person, even though they sometimes discussed the lofty idea of finding a free date to hang out over the phone. He still called her, even though she never called him, knowing he didn’t have much free time. More than once she’d told him to just hang up and enjoy whatever was left of his 4-hour sleep but he always refused to do so, forcing her to hang up instead. Pabo…

She missed him. It usually didn’t do much, especially since he called and all but…today, missing him hurt. It wasn’t an intense, sharp pain…just a small, throbbing sense of…sense of emptyness. Was it weird to describe it that way? It was the only word she could think of. Something was missing. Him.

It was White Day. That’s what made it so bad. But she wasn’t going to call him, knowing he had a schedule and probably wasn’t going to pick up. Coming to the playground had been the second option. The memories the place held made it feel like he was there again. Was it normal to miss a friend this much? But no, it was only for today. It didn’t really matter on most days, she was practical and life, was a realist. But just…just today. Just today.

“Soomin!”

She whipped her head around to see a familiar figure running towards her and she nearly fell off the swing in surprise. What in the world?

“Minwoo?” She exclaimed and unable to keep the sudden happiness in, started laughing. “What are you doing here?”

“I…Yah! You answer first!” He was laughing as well.

“Just…using the swing.” She grinned. “Yah, if you were so free today, you should have called me!”

“I was going to. But I thought you’ll be busy with piano lessons this morning. Then…then I saw you here.”

“Ne?”

“The van was driving past, bringing us back to the Starship building after a performance. I recognised the street and was trying to look for the playground then…then I saw you there and…” he paused, as if just realising something. “Yah, I think my manager’s going to kill me.”

She laughed, “Didn’t I tell you never to skip training again?”

“I couldn’t help it.” He said matter-of-factly, knowing it was true. “The moment the van stopped outside the building, I ran in the opposite direction from where the members were going. I…I…” he paused, struggling with the words. “I had to come here. To see you again.” He paused a second time, then forced himself to say it. “Soomin, you’ve been in my mind since the day started. I woke up missing you.”

Her cheeks turned pink. He noticed that she didn’t know what to say, so he continued, even though his cheeks were slightly hot as well.

“Usually, it’s alright. I mean, I call you and talking to you over the phone makes it feel like you’re still there… And the busy schedule sometimes takes up so much from me, I can’t even miss my own family sometimes. But when I do let myself think of them, I miss them. A lot. And when I think of you, I miss you a lot too. But today…from the very moment I woke up, the only thing I could think about…was you. It’s White Day. I don’t know why but I just knew that I couldn’t bear with spending another one without you. As friends, more than friends…it wouldn’t matter. I just needed another White Day spent with you because…it’s special. We’ve spent nearly every White Day together, even when we didn’t know what it was. ” His cheeks then turned red, as he realised what he was implying, what he had said.’More than friends’.

Her heart fluttered and the words escaped her, “I missed you. I couldn’t…I couldn’t deal with it today either. That’s why I came here. But it still felt…”

She stood up and rushed to hug him, not really thinking about it as the longing overwhelmed her. He was startled but the longing compelled him as well, as he returned the embrace and kissed her lightly on the forehead, holding her tightly “Soomin…”

In the playground of their childhood, it was a magical White Day.

Hope it's not too long-winded. Actually, I think the problem is how it doesn't give much impact to the reader. It's a bit...flat. Garh, I should have added more emotion and stuff... If you think it's not too good, do tell me how so, so I can rewrite it. Thank you! :) Also, tell me which member you want next!