The Only Chapter That Counts

Waterfights and Warm Meals

“Well? What’s it gonna be?”

Jonghyun looked up wildly from the questionnaire he was making for Taemin’s History exam that would be coming up in a week, and saw a slight look of annoyance flash through Key’s normally happy-hyper face.

“What do you mean, Kibum?” he asked. He actually had no idea what the younger guy was talking about.

“You know perfectly well what I mean. Are you gonna sit there and keep writing something that Taemin doesn’t need, but you’re doing it anyway because you feel bad, since you haven’t been hanging with Tae for the past few days or are you gonna go out with me and talk for a little while?”

“Kibum, how would I have had any idea of what was going through your mind until you bothered to open your mouth and talk to me? How could you blame me for not knowing what you were talking about if you hadn’t even mentioned it before? And to answer your question, I’m gonna finish with this question and two others and that’ll be a hundred for Tae to answer and I will be right out with you. Give me five minutes more.”

Key grinned happily, and sat down next to the love of his life. Well, love of his short, 20 year old life. He didn’t know if there were any more to come, and he wasn’t stupid or cliché or naïve enough to think that  this dino-puppy-cross-singer was going to be the only one. But if it happened to turn out that way, he couldn’t be any happier unless someone bought him a Porsche as a Non-Birthday gift and the Buckingham Palace as a birthday gift. Oh well.

He watched the profile of the young man who had turned his whole, straight, awesome world totally upside down and ultra crazy. And yet, still pretty much awesome; Jonghyun had said once: “The day I met Key was the luckiest day of my life.” What Jonghyun didn’t know was that it went both ways.

And he was going to tell him that. Today.

“Done.” Jonghyun said, smiling sweetly at the little (okay, not so much. He’s two decades old) guy in front of him. “What do you want me to wear?” That was only one of the ultra sweet things about Kim Jonghyun. He always asked you what you wanted, and it wasn’t a disguised way of getting you to ask what he wanted, but an actual, whole-hearted caring for you. And he always asked Key that before their dates because Key always loved anything to do with clothes, and Jonghyun gave him every opportunity he could.

“Okay, kaja~!” Key laughed and grabbed Jonghyun’s hand, pulling him to their room. He opened the mahogany doors of the walk in wardrobe and looked around carefully. Then he picked up a white T-shirt that had black and gray squares on it. Coupling it with the waistcoat the Jonghyun had worn for the Love Like Oxygen MV, with black pants and Taemin’s hat from the very same video, along with white sneakers that had a black pattern on it, he made Jonghyun look like someone who had just jumped out from a 50’s movie. Key himself got a black t-shirt with the lead singer from Black Veiled Brides printed in white on it, with his well-worn black pants and black sneakers. He styled his hair until Jonghyun got back and styled the older boy’s hair as well. When he was done, he grabbed a black leather side pouch and put in neatly folded underwear and swimtrunks. They both looked a little bit like the only good looking guys from a Charlie Chaplin movie, and Key was thinking: perfect for where we plan to go. Kekeke.

They walked their way to the park, looking very out of place with the people there, who were in bright colors for the summer, but, of course, Key’s whatever made everything OK and they were chattering about life in general and the trees and flower and a particularly pretty insect that had crawled up Jonghyun’s arm, even though Key squirmed.

After a few hours at the park, they walked hand in hand to a little restaurant that Key had seen a few days back. Even then, he had felt the urge to bring Jonghyun here. It was so… him. The simple décor, the happy atmosphere of a family around a large meal, the little random strums of a guitar or soft notes of a piano as some kid or the other got up to play the ones that were there for the entertainment. They all pointed a multi-colored neon bulb lit arrow at the little place, named simply “jib,” meaning “home” for Jonghyun to come and enjoy the place.

So they went in, enjoyed a meal of finely made cheese with ham, bacon and home-made garlic bread, chatted with the friendly, practically round hostess and host, paid their fee and bid their goodbyes, promising to come back again soon.

As they left, the little watch in Jonghyun’s pocket showed 4:28 PM and he sighed tiredly. “Babe, we should get home now.”

Key shook his head with finality. “There’s one more place I want to go with you. It’s a really nice place, and I promise it’ll take away the tiredness.”

“Is it a massage spa? With aloe-vera oil massages?” Jonghyun asked, jokingly, knowing that Key loved those places and hated it when people made fun of it.

“No.” he said. “It’s something a bit nicer.”

Jonghyun raised an eyebrow skeptically, and simply shrugged a shoulder. “Wherever you want, then. ONLY because I love you this much.”

Key smiled and walked him to the park again. “There’s a really cool place, you just have to see it. It’s really pretty and fun and nice.” Jonghyun laughed. “You sound exactly like a little kid who’s about to get what he wants for Christmas. Alright, alright, what is this magical place?”

And then he saw it. A little pond… or something like that. Maybe a small pool. If it hadn’t been for the beautiful trees surrounding it, almost protectively, no one would have seen it. Key took off his clothes and put on his swim shorts, handing Jonghyun’s over to him.

“Come on, don’t wanna miss this, do you?”

And so they spent the rest of the daylight, and more than half of the moonlight, just playing with each other in that little pond and, at the last point of it, made love to each other on the banks of that pond. When they began to put on their clothes again, Key made a sound, as if he was trying to say something, but couldn’t actually let it out.

“Kibum?” Jonghyun said, worriedly.

“Jong… you remember when you said that the day you met me was the luckiest day of your life?” he paused as Jonghyun nodded. “I just wanted to say that… it goes both ways.”

Jonghyun smiled. Then he jumped on his boyfriend and kissed him, and only stopped when they both suddenly fell into the water.

Laughing, they swam out and sat on the sandy grass, holding each other as if nothing else mattered.

“Well, let’s get going. We have a lot to explain if we’re late to come in and soaked to the bone.”

So, with one last kiss in private, they went home.  

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dedicated to my first ever subscriber, Alexsmiles101. :D She requested something of the like so yeah... I hope you like it, babe! Saranghae~! :) Oh, and OMG, my dongsaengie (non-biological) has a niece! One day old! :) She's an aunt now, hahaha~! Let's all say hi (just do it in front of the screen, just now) to the new umma, the new ahjumma and the new chunsa (angel) :) And BTW, thanks for reading. Leave a comment. Please. I badly want feedback. Jaebal! :D