Normality

Identity Crisis

“SOOYOUNG!”

                Yunho and Jaejoong exchanged a frantic look; both men wide-eyed while the slightly younger of the two had tears leaking from his eyes. It was like everything had come into a standstill. Despite her slightly hazy state, Boa had no problem understanding what just happened and why all five of them were frozen in their places despite the need to get out as soon as possible. Changmin and Junsu, surprisingly free of enemies to shoot, heard the explosion loud and clear in their headsets despite being engaged in battle themselves. It couldn’t be.

“Sooyoung! Answer me!” Yunho was the first to snap out of his daze, yelling frantically at the mouthpiece and praying for any verbal reply from his wife. “SOOYOUNG, GODDAMNIT. ANSWER ME.”

Jaejoong grabbed his arm, nodding towards the flight of stairs. “Go. Find her.” Sending a look towards Changmin, he continued. “Junsu and I can get Boa out. Go with him.”

                Neither of the two men really needed to be told twice. Yunho was off running towards the stairs as soon as Jaejoong gave the go signal with the youngest of the men in the team hot on his heels; both firing at anything walking and breathing that came their way. All of those who had a headset cursed in unison as Yoochun informed him that he still couldn’t see anything from Sooyoung’s camera and all that he could hear was the unmistakable sound of flames. He had also managed to snap out of shock in time to guide Jaejoong, Junsu and Boa out of the building and to warn Changmin and Yunho of armed men heading their way.

“.” Yunho came to a screeching halt as he and Changmin reached the third floor; the sight of debris, fire and smoke greeting them. “Sooyoung!”

“Hyung, let’s go!” Changmin pointed at an area that closely resembled what the computer room used to be. Rushing to that spot, they furiously began digging and throwing aside the rubble and clutter around them, praying that Sooyoung was somewhere there.

                Yunho felt like he had been digging forever and he still found no sign of his wife. It was like life was being out of him little by little as time passed by. He could hear Changmin cursing behind him, giving him the indication that he hadn’t found the woman he considered one of his best friends and his eating partner-in-crime. Everyone was surely worrying about Sooyoung… but his friends’ paranoia and fears combined couldn’t match Yunho’s. Tears were blurring his vision but he didn’t give up on digging through every square inch of rubble. His handed were starting to get scratches and bruises but he could care less. All he could focus on was finding Sooyoung, desperately hoping and praying that the first and last girl he had ever loved in his life was still alive.

“Goddamn it!” Yunho growled in frustration.

“Still no luck?” Junsu asked worriedly through the headset.

“Hyung!”

The older man stopped momentarily, realizing that Changmin was now beside him and pointing at an area a couple of steps from where they were. That’s when he saw it. Long, slender fingers surrounded by debris. They were in the area in a heartbeat, careful as to what they stepped on. Almost in an instant, the two began to throw away all the mess that they got their hands on. The fingers that were initially visible to them soon turned into a hand, then an arm, until they could finally see Sooyoung’s shoulder.

The pair dug faster and carefully, not wanting to hurt Sooyoung more than she already was. It didn’t take long for them to realize that the arm they had uncovered first was actually shielding her head. As soon as she was free from debris enough to pull her into safety, Yunho wrapped his strong arms around her body and gently yanked her out while Changmin assisted her legs. The older man carried his wife to a safer area while Changmin stayed behind to look for her bag, which was not far from where they found her. Yunho fell on his knees, carefully laying Sooyoung on the floor to begin his CPR.

“We found her.” Changmin spoke through his headset as soon as he found the bag containing the data that Sooyoung risked her life for, earning multiple sighs of relief from those who heard him.

“Is she alive?” Liyin was the one who asked the most important question of them all.

He ran to where the couple was; Yunho still performing CPR. “Hyung is trying to revive her.”

“C’mon, Soo. Don’t do this to me.” Yunho muttered under his breath; his joined pumping her chest as effectively as they could. “Sooyoung, c’mon.”

                Both men’s shoulders sagged with relief as Sooyoung began to cough, stirring in her unconsciousness. It took another few minutes before her eyes began to move, slowly but surely opening them in a daze. The first thing that caught her attention was Yunho’s worried face hovering over hers and without having to look too far, she realized that Changmin was with them as well; Changmin finally allowing his tears to fall in relief that she was alive.

“Oppa…”

Her husband picked her up in his arms and crushed her against his chest, hugging her as if he was afraid that she’d vanished if he let her go. “Don’t you dare do that to me ever again, Sooyoung. I’ll never ever forgive you.”

A ghost of an apologetic smile crossed her face though it somehow showed a bit of amusement. “You can't stay mad at me for long even if you try, oppa.”

“Thank god, Soo.” Yoochun spoke before anyone else could. “Hate to break the moment but time’s up, guys. You need to get out of there now. Liyin’s on her way with the helicopter. Are all the bombs in place?”

“They’re ready to blow up this place, hyung.” Changmin shouldered Sooyoung’s bag while the other man was soon on his feet with his wife on his back. “We’ll see you in ten.”

“Can you still shoot?” Yunho handed the brunette in his arms a gun.

Sooyoung managed to roll her eyes, accepting the gun. “I’ll keep us alive, oppa. Just don’t drop me flat on my and we'll be fine.”

                They began to wonder just how many armed men there really was in that building because even on their way out, Changmin and Sooyoung had to fire quite a handful of times; Yunho leading the way to the exit with the younger man covering behind. They could hear the distant but distinct sound of the approaching helicopter and they knew they had to make it out of the building as soon as possible. Yunho kept his hold on his wife strong and unwavering, not wanting to cause her any more injuries as they ran down the flights of the stairs and, soon, out of the building.

                Jaejoong, Junsu and Boa were halfway towards the landing helicopter just as Changmin, Sooyoung and Yunho were exiting the building; Yoochun arriving with the truck. A grin made its way to Changmin’s handsome face as he shot another enemy down before running to catch up with everyone in the helicopter, helping Yunho and Jaejoong carefully carry Sooyoung inside. Yoochun planted a bomb on the truck, hurrying and jumping into the nearly departing helicopter as soon as the job was finished.

“Hang on.” Liyin instructed them as she carefullu maneuvered the aircraft away from the building.

               Yoochun carefully peered from the window, judging their distance from the scene of action just minutes before. Exchanging a look with his friends and waiting until he was given the go signal, he took out something that resembled a joystick from his pocket. He pressed the button and everyone either watched or heard everything below them burst into flames. Yoochun soon joined Liyin in front of the helicopter while Junsu and Changmin helped Boa with her wounds and bruises. Yunho let out a deep sigh as he nestled Sooyoung in his arms; the brunette wincing slightly while Jaejoong treated her scratched.

They were alive.

That was what mattered

o-o-o-o-o

Few months later…

                Yunho hurriedly entered the hospital, heading straight for the room Sooyoung had texted him. Why was she in the hospital? Did something happen to her? Did something happen to their children? He hoped not. But why wouldn’t Sooyoung tell him why she was there? Was it something serious? God, he hoped not too. He made his way to the designated room as fast as his long legs would allow him; a growl escaping his lips when he saw the ‘Do not disturb’ sign on the door knob. Sighing, he leaned against the wall and waited albeit impatiently. He was the only one in the hall when he arrived… but that all changed when a hospital bed came rushing past; a very familiar brunette screaming in the said bed while a very familiar tall, slender man held her hand, running alongside.

It took him a while to realize that it was Yeonhee screaming at the top of her lungs in the bed and it was Changmin who was holding her hand. He did a double take, not quite believing his eyes until Jaejoong, Jessica, Junsu, Liyin, Yoochun and Taeyeon came running in. “What the… Was that…”

“Unnie’s water broke.” Taeyeon explained as Liyin and Yoochun ran off to follow the speeding bed. “Didn’t you get the text, oppa?”

Yunho fished his phone from his pocket and true enough, a message from Jaejoong greeted him. “Sorry… I was just in a hurry to come here and–”

“What are you doing here, oppa?” Jessica’s eyes widened as she realized the sole person not with them. “What happened to Soo?!”

His shoulders lifted in a shrug. “I dunno, Jess. I just got this text from me to come here but the door’s locked.”

Jaejoong’s jaw dropped. “So Sooyoung’s here also? What the… This is why I don’t like hospitals.”

“You guys should go and help Changmin. The last thing he needs to do is panic.” He nodded to the direction the bed with a screaming pregnant woman headed to. “Uh… Sooyoung and I will follow once we get this sorted out.”

“Good luck, hyung.” Junsu clamped a supportive hand on his shoulders before they disappeared down the hall as well.

                Yunho began pacing back and forth, glancing at the still closed door anxiously. What was going on in there? He finally made up his mind, marching up to the door soon after. The dark haired man lifted his hand and curled it into a fist, ready to pound on the door. They should either let him in or come out and explain the whole shenanigan to him. He raised his fist to bang it on the door when it unceremoniously opened; Sooyoung joining him in the hall.

“Were you planning on hitting someone?” His wife arched an eyebrow at his raised fist.

Yunho hurriedly composed himself and pulled his hand back, arching a questioning eyebrow back at her. “Why… What was that all about?”

“Oppa…” Sooyoung chewed on her lower lip for a moment, wrapping her arms around his neck. “I think we're gonna need a new house.”

“What? Why?” A look of confusion crossed his handsome face.

“Because we only have three rooms… We’re going to need four in a few months.”

It took a while before realization kicked in.

And when it finally did, Yunho lifted her in his arms and carefully twirled her around. “How long?”

“Six weeks.” She smiled, beaming with happiness. He paused; everything that had taken place since he arrived in the hospital flashing back in his mind. Yunho let out a laugh much to her surprise. “Oppa…?”

“The gang’s here.” The dark haired man managed to reply as he tried to calm himself down.

Her jaw dropped slightly. “But why?”

“Yeonhee’s giving birth.”

“No kidding.”

“I’m serious, Soo.”

Reality kicked in and even Sooyoung couldn’t help but laugh in amusement. “Oppa, why didn't you tell me sooner!”

                Taking her hand in his, Sooyoung led the way to the delivery room; Yeonhee’s piercing screams guiding them around the hospital. Yunho chuckled, allowed her to drag him to their destination. All he could think about was how he was going to be an uncle again and more importantly, a father to their third child. Looking at their joined hands, Yunho was sure he never felt this great. Sooyoung was pregnant again. He was going to be a father again.

Friend

Husband

Father

Those were who he was. Nothing more, nothing less