Message

Identity Crisis

“Appa!”

“Umma!”

                Jung Yunho sat up on his bed, scratching the sleep off his eyes and wondering why he was woken up on such an ungodly hour. Before he knew it, his five year old son was jumping on the bed before him. Beside him, his wife stirred in her sleep as their three year old daughter tried to kiss her awake. Yunho chuckled at the sight before he caught the little boy in his arms, dropping a kiss on his forehead as he tickled his side mercilessly.

“Good morning, appa.” Jung Kibum kissed his dad’s cheek in return once the tickle attacks ended and his breathing went back to normal.

“What a way to wake up…” Choi Sooyoung finally sat up with little Jung Chae Rin in her arms. “Good morning.”

Chae Rin wriggled herself out of her mom’s grasp. “Time to wake up, umma! It’s party day today!”

“You’re excited to see Minji already?” Sooyoung watched as her daughter hopped off the bed. “But you just saw her yesterday.”

Her mini me visibly brightened at the mention of her best friend and Jessica Jung and Kim Jaejoong’s daughter. “It’s her fourth birthday party, umma! She told me I can’t be late! We have to be the first ones there.”

“Jihoo and Seungho also said they’ll be in the party early.” Kibum chirped in from his father’s lap.

Yunho nearly grimaced at the thought of his son and Kim Junsu and Kim Taeyeon’s twins creating a mess in the party. “So how about you help your sister get ready for bath so we can go there early? Umma will follow you in a while.”

“Yay! Thanks, appa!” The eldest of the Jung children was soon on his feet, gesturing for his sister to follow him. “C’mon, Rin! We have to go to the bathroom now!”

“I’m coming, oppa!”Chae Rin ran after her older brother out of their parents’ room.

Sooyoung let out a sigh; a smile soon appearing on her face when she felt a kiss on her cheek. “Good morning, oppa.”

“Good morning, Soo.” Her husband drew closer to her, affectionately nuzzling her neck. “I expected our kids to wake us up… but not this early.”

A soft giggle escaped her lips. “They’re just excited.”

Yunho couldn’t help but make a face. “Let’s hope that they don’t miraculously start a mess at the party.”

o-o-o-o-o

                Yunho suddenly found himself having difficulty believing in miracles as he was left wiping cupcake icing off a table, not wanting to add additional stress for Jaejoong and Jessica. To say that Kim Minji’s fourth birthday party was in full swing was a complete understatement. Jessica and Jaejoong were busy entertaining their guests, the birthday girl and her friends were busy with their tea party and the boys were having fun running around… only after creating a mess while decorating their cupcakes on the very same table Yunho was now cleaning.

“Yeobo?” Sooyoung appeared by his side. “Are you okay?”

He straightened up, offering her a smile. “I’m okay, Soo. Weren’t you with the girls?”

“I was.” The brunette replied. “But they figured out that you’d might need my help. Besides, Yeonhee unnie wanted to sit down and rest.”

“I’d be worried if she refuses to sit down.” His thoughts drifted to Shim Changmin’s very pregnant wife. “Is it a boy or a girl?”

She shrugged. “She said they’ll find out in a few days.”

“Yoochun should really consider proposing to Liyin–” Yunho was cut off by the sound of two ring tones.

                Yunho and Sooyoung simultaneously took out their phones, reading their respective messages. The couple soon blanched, looking up from their phones to stare at each other with knowing yet shocked looks on their faces. Sooyoung had already obviously stiffened in her place, prompting Yunho to look around him. He knew that he and his wife received the same message, judging by the look of absolute horror gracing her beautiful features.

And from what he could tell by the looks on their faces, Jaejoong, Junsu, Changmin and Liyin got the same message too.

o-o-o-o-o

                After a quick and not so detailed explanation to Jessica, Taeyeon and Yeonhee, the seven clearly preoccupied people left the party with the excuse of stocking up on more drinks and candy for the party. The seven soon found themselves in the nearest grocery store, doing best to try and not attract any attention to them… which was easier said than the done considering that there were seven of them. Yunho, Jaejoong and Sooyoung soon headed to the candy aisle, taking anything they laid hands on in a slow pace.

“Hyung, what is this about?”

The dark haired man over in the next aisle looked at them through the shelves with a smile. “Still on time even after all these years, huh?”

“That’s what working as a secret agent for years does to a person.” Junsu took it upon himself to reply as he and Changmin absently looked at a shelf of chips opposite the man. “Kangta hyung, what is this about?”

Kangta carefully looked around. “Where are Liyin and Yoochun?”

“Right here, oppa.” Liyin appeared beside him with Yoochun, carrying a basket of fruit juices in her hands. “We don’t want people to get suspicious.”

“Why are you here?” Jaejoong asked with all seriousness and a bit of impatience. “Did the agency send you here? We all have to head back to my daughter’s party anytime soon, you know.”

“Happy birthday to her.” The older man sighed. “I’ll cut to the chase… the agency wants the seven of you back.”

Changmin suddenly found it so hard to act normal, nearly crushing the bag of chips in his hand. “When we left more than five years ago, we made it clear that we’re not coming back.”

“We know that.” Kangta said patiently and understandingly. “But Boa was caught earlier today by the yakuza in the midst of her mission.”

Sooyoung nearly dropped the pack of candy she was holding. “What?”

Yoochun cursed softly under his breath. “Can’t your agents rescue her on their own?”

“It’s too dangerous and risky. The agency thinks that you seven can do the job better since you have a lot of experience with the yakuza.” Kangta pinched the bridge of his nose. “But let’s all face it… You seven are the best agents there ever was and there will ever be as far as the agency is concerned.”

“You… The agency is asking too much from us. You know she’s our friend. We’ll save her in a heartbeat and you’re taking advantage of it.” Yunho hissed; Sooyoung doing her best to calm her husband down. “Some of us have children, hyung!”

“No one’s forcing anyone to go.” He shook his head. “Whether you go or not is absolutely your decision.”

Jaejoong let out a shaky breath. “And when are we supposed to leave for this piss the yakuza off mission?”

“Tonight at midnight.”