Confrontation

Only You

“Hey, you!” Chen greets you with an overly cheery smile, and your eyes narrow.

“Uh, Chen, you alright?” You ask.

His face falls for a split second, and then regains it’s ‘happiness’. “Y-yeah, I’m fine! What’s new with you?”

“Chen, are you sure you’re alright? Your face seems a bit r- omo, Chen! What happened to your eyes?”

Chen starts blinking furiously, rubbing at his eyes with his hands. “N-…nothing, does it seem like something happened? Is there something wrong with my eyes?” He asks, the pitch of his voice slowly increasing.

“Chen. You’re lying. About something.” You conclude. “Your voice always gets higher when you’re lying. And don’t think you can hide it from me, because you can’t.”

“I-no! No, it doesn’t.  It really doesn’t!” Chen’s voice is almost a falsetto, and you would be laughing by now if it wasn’t for the seriousness of the situation.

“Chen, please! Tell me what’s wrong!” You plead.

Chen suddenly smashes his lips against yours. Surprised, you shove him, hard.

“What are you doing?!” You screech.

“We’re dating now, aren’t we? Isn’t it natural to-” He gestures wildly with his hands. You have no idea what he’s trying to do.

“Chen, I’m talking about you here. Do you have some sort of condition…or…” You trail off.

“Well I'm talking about you. My condition is only because of you.” Chen suddenly sounds years older, his voice serious.

“Chen, what’s wrong?”

“I know-…you still-…I know about you and Kris.”

You feel a cold sensation spread across your skin.

The school bell rings. Neither of you move. 
 
You stare at Chen dumbfoundedly for a second, then regain your wits.
 
"Chen, it's not-" you start, then realize that lying would be of no use. Chen was still one of your most trusted friends, he had to understand that. 
 
"Chen...I-...I'm really sorry. But I promise you it was only once! I never...I didn't...before..."You trail off nervously. 
 
But it wasn't as if you were cheating on Chen! It was a one-time thing, and besides, Chen couldn't possibly have expected you to take him seriously. You were still best friends, and nothing more.
 
You realize that Chen had been painfully silent the entire time you were thinking out the kinks in your relationship.
 
You look up at him now to see him watching you, one tear, then another sliding down his cheeks.
 
"Did I ever mean anything to you?" He whispered.
 
"Chen-!" You start, but he puts up a hand. 
 
"Stop it, okay? Just stop. I can't take this anymore. First I have to watch you see me as only a friend, then fall in love with some other guy? Forget it." He wipes at his face furiously, and then turns and shoves his way back through the crowd now advancing towards the school.
 
"Chen!" You cry, watching his retreating back. 
 
"You're one of my best friends...don't go!" You yell hoarsely, but your voice is lost in the crowd.
 
You try to go after him, but the crowd overcomes you, pushing you towards the school.
 
"Chen!" You say again. "Chen...don't go..."
 
 
 
That entire school day, you can only focus on Chen. Even when Jinyoung catches you out and asks you what's wrong -after you thoughtlessly fling potatoes at a passing teacher during lunch-, you find you can't respond. 
 
"I...Chen...he and Kris..." You stumble over your words and gesture madly with your hands, but Jinyoung seems to understand.
 
"you, hon', people can be in love forever. It doesn't take just a day to fall out of love. He's probably just angry and sad...and confused. He'll want to know why you like Kris better than him. You have to explain these things to males, or they just don't get it."
 
You nod, and she goes on. 
 
"Life's a big competition to them, and Chen... he probably feels like he lost to Kris."
 
You ask her quietly. "How do you even know all this?"
 
Jinyoung laughs lightly. "Let's just say that I've had more than my share of ugly relationships." 
 
You try to smile. "Thanks, omma." You tease.
 
She smiles back. "Anytime, you."
>.< you guys are so awesome! I still can't believe people like my writing xD
-omg did a science presentation on exoplanets today :D- anyways...
remember to comment! the more you comment, the faster i update, you!! <3
 
Chapter 15 Preview: "If you really loved me, you would prove it."