New Kids

Splitting the Difference

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP!!!! 

I hit the off button on my alarm clock and hopped out of bed.  Groggily, I did my morning warm-ups: 50 push-ups and 100 sit-ups.  I put on my uniform and walked into the bathroom, where my older brother Taecyeon [A/N: Taecyeon from 2pm is now Koo Taecyeon, not Ok Taecyeon :3...] was already staring at his gorgeous reflection in the mirror and fixing his hair. 

"Hey little sister!" 

"Hey Taec...  You better hurry up.. I smell pancakes!" I fixed my hair and brushed my teeth. 

I walked downstairs, where my mom greeted me.

"Hello, daughter!!! ~~ I made you some breakfast.  Daddy already went to work.  Is Taecyeon up?"

I nodded.

"Can you go call your older brother for breakfast?" 

"KOO TAECYEON! GET DOWN HERE OR ELSE I'LL EAT YOUR BREAKFAST!" I yelled.

I heard some scuffling of feet and squeaking.  A couple seconds later, my older brother appeared in front of me.  

"Phew..." Taecyeon said, playfully wiping pretend sweat off of his forehead.

I walked to the table and he followed.  Our mom brought us plates of pancakes.  

"Mom, I'm going to come home late today.  I have soccer practice.  I'll walk home, so you don't need to pick me up," I said.

My mom nodded.

"My daughter is the captain of the boys' varsity soccer team..." my mom said, chuckling.

"Daughter?  What daughter?" Taecyeon teased.

I kicked him under the table.

"OOOWWWW... I'm sorry! I'm sorry!!  Please don't kick me again!" Taecyeon said.

I stuffed the last pancake into my mouth and put my dishes in the sink.  I grabbed my backpack from the couch and walked out the door.  About thirty seconds later, Taecyeon came too.  

"Taecyeon!! Wait! I left my soccer cleats in the house!"

I ran back into the house and grabbed my cleats.  Taecyeon was still on the sidewalk, talking to two boys.  They looked exactly the same.  He laughed and said something to them, and they laughed in unison.  It was kind of creepy.  I walked up to them.

"Taecyeon, come on.  We're going to be late."

"Sorry, guys.  This is my antisocial younger sister, Mina.  She's the captain of the boys' varsity soccer team," Taecyeon introduced me.

I kicked him.  He yelped in pain and I smirked.  I didn't bother to say anything to the strangers.  I just walked ahead.  One of them caught up with me.

"Hello, my name is KwangMin.  I'm new!  The other guy over there that looks like me is my twin, YoungMin."

I just kept walking.

"Hellooooo~~!!!!"

"WHAT DO YOU WANT!?!?!" I yelled, annoyed by this kid. 

"I want to be friends~!" 

"Ugh... Go away." 

He kept pestering me the rest of the way to school.  He followed me to the main office.  It was the first day of school, so we picked up our schedules and locker information.

"Hey Mina!  Guess what!  We have the same schedule! YAAAY!  We can be bestest friends!!"

"Yaaay," I replied, unenthusiastically. 

It turned out that our lockers were next to each other too.  Also, I got to sit by him in EVERY. SINGLE. CLASS.

"Oh jeez... This is going to be a LOOOONG year," I mumbled to myself.

He followed me like a puppy for the rest of the day.

"WILL YOU STOP FOLLOWING ME AROUND.  PLEASE." 

He looked at me with big puppy dog eyes.  

"Let's be best friends."

"If I tell you that we're best friends, will you leave me alone?"

He nodded furiously.

"OKAY WE'RE BEST FRIENDS.  GOODBYE NOW."

"YAAAY!" 

He hugged me from behind and I froze.  KwangMin's sudden gesture reminded me of ... him.  

Koo Mina, don't you think about him.  He's a liar.  He said he would only be in America for a year.  It's been three years.  Move on, Mina.  Move on.  Do not think about him... He probably has a different girlfriend now.  

I pried KwangMin's arms off of my waist.

"Umm... I'm going to soccer now.. I'll see you later."

"BAAAIIII!" 

I walked to the locker rooms.  I changed into my soccer uniform.  I saw my best friend, SooYoung in the locker room.  She was a varsity cheerleader.

"MINAAA!! ~~ KYAAAA!!!!!! OMGOMGOMGOMG!"

"WHAT," I asked SooYoung.

"I SAW YOU AND THAT NEW KID WALKING TOGETHER!!! YOU'RE SOOO LUCKY.  WE ALL ENVY YOU."  

"What new kid?  Oh, KwangMin.  No.  We're not together.  He's really annoying and has been following me around all day.  We live in the same community.  He thinks we're like best friends or something.  He's new-" 

I was cut off by my soccer coach, yelling for all of the players to gather up.  

"Hey champs!  Friday is our first game of the season.  A couple of scouts are going to the game, so I want all of you to play your best.  We're against the Seoul High School team.  We can do this.  Especially with our fantastic team captain, Mina!  Let's go!  Practice!  Drills!  GOOO!" our coach yelled.  

I was playing with the guys.  We were drilling.  We ran seven miles nonstop, did 100 push-ups and 80 sit-ups, and then ran another mile.  We scrimmaged.  Practice ended, and I was sweaty and all out of breath.  SooYoung came up to me with a waterbottle and a towel.   I changed and we get ready to walk home.  SooYoung lives 2 doors away from me, but her parents drive her to school.   KwangMin walks up to us, and another boy comes with him.  

"Hey Mina!"

"Hey, KwangMin.  This is my friend, SooYoung."

"Hey SooYoung!" 

"Hello KwangMin!"

"This is my friend MinWoo," KwangMin gestures to the boy.

"Hey guys."

"Hey MinWoo!" SooYoung and I say.

"KwangMin, what are you doing here?"  I ask.

"Oh, I stayed after school with MinWoo.  He's our neighbor too!" KwangMin answers.  

"Hey!  Let's all walk home together!" SooYoung says.

They agree, and we all walk home together.  SooYoung happily talks to the boys.  She's a big flirt.  I'm too sweaty and tired to talk.  MinWoo goes to his house first, then SooYoung, then KwangMin.  I dawdle around for a while outside.  I walk into my house and my mom is staring at me.  

"Hey Mom!" 

"Mina," she cries.

"What is it, Mom?  What happened?"  

"Mina, I don't want to lose you!"

"Mom!  What happened?"

"You're getting married."

"WHAT?!"

"Your father is being forced to merge his company.  In order to do so, you must marry the eldest son of the other company's owner.  I'm sorry.  I don't want to do this, but your father's company will be taken away if the companies don't merge.  The owner is very powerful.  He could do something bad to our family," my mother sobs.  

I don't know what to do.  I'm going to get married?!  I'm still waiting for - I must not think of him.  Darn it!  I should have accepted his proposal before he left.  Then I wouldn't be in this situation.  

"Who am I getting married to?" I ask.

"J-J-J-" my mother breaks down in tears.

I shake her shoulders.  

"Get ahold of yourself, Mom."

"Jo YoungMin." 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHY IS MINA'S MOM CRYING BECAUSE MINA IS GETTING MARRIED TO JO YOUNGMIN???