What Makes you Beautiful

What Makes you Beautiful

 

 

    There he goes again, Chanyeol notes, touching up his make-up and hair like it wasn’t perfect enough as it is; Chanyeol’s thin lips pursed in thought, his wide eyes staring (creepily) at his best friend (crush?), Baekhyun. All of EXO-K’s heads would turn whenever Baekhyun enters the room after touch-ups. Kai’s mouth would turn into a smirk, Kyungsoo would look over at Kai and his head to the right, and Suho would cough to get everyone’s attention. It works for the most part. Chanyeol’s attention is all on Baekhyun who’s busy pushing parts of his bangs to the side. His almond eyes are lined heavily with eyeliner, as always for performances. Chanyeol thought that Baekhyun looked best with no make-up; he thought he looked more pure, like an angel rather than that vixen on stage. But Baekhyun doesn’t seem to think so as he’s asking the coordi-noona to apply just a little bit more. Chanyeol’s lips were turned down in a dismay frown.

  Their day was over and everyone was shuffling to bed for a good 4 hours sleep. Chanyeol had just finished showering and entered his shared room, only to see his roommate pick at his blemishes in one of Sehun’s hand mirrors. “You look fine,” he heard himself say, immediately in his bottom lip as if that’ll retract his (seemingly) gay comment. Baekhyun looked up, shocked, from the mirror before an ear-splitting grin came upon his face and a loud laugh escaped from it. Chanyeol sputtered at that, blinking and trying to make reason with it, “Huh…?” Shaking his head, Baekhyun set the mirror down and walked up to Chanyeol, his eyes cast downwards and a shy smile replacing the bright grin, “I wish.” Chanyeol wished Baekhyun could just open his eyes and see.

  Chanyeol was only surfing the web on his phone when he came across this UK boy band, One Direction. He thought they were just a British version of CN Blue, but nonetheless, he was intrigued. After shuffling through some of their songs on YouTube, he clicked on What Makes You Beautiful. As each verse flash through the screen (he preferred sing-a-longs), he could hear the cogs in his brains churning and branding out an idea. He looked over the room and saw Baekhyun reading a novel on Kai’s iPad, his bangs covering over his eyes. Chanyeol held his breath in, Baekhyun tilted his head to the side— Chanyeol felt overwhelmed.

  EXO had another packed schedule as usual, but with interviews at two radio stations, a live performance, and a variety show appearance, everyone was beat by the time their feet touched the dorm. Baekhyun had just finished showering when he walked into his shared room to see Chanyeol plugging his iPod into the speakers. Before he could open his mouth to ask what he’s doing, a familiar guitar riff began to play. In heavily accented Korean, Chanyeol began to (or at least attempt to) sing the first verse of What Makes you Beautiful and the chorus. “Baby, you light up my world like nobody else.” Baekhyun looked around, trying to avert his eyes anywhere else than Chanyeol’s goofy, endearing face, but oh no, Chanyeol wouldn’t allow that. The rapper inched closer to the vocalist and cupped his cheeks, making him look up at him. “Right now, I’m looking at you and I can’t believe you don’t know you’re beautiful.” Chanyeol grinned that toothy grin and kissed Baekhyun over and over until he knew.