Final.

Know Your Name

She collapsed on the hardwood floor, panting rapidly. Sweat coated her skin in a sticky, shiny sheen with her fringe matted against her forehead. It was something normal, these night practices. From outside the door he watched her.

The dance studio was his haven as well but he usually didn’t come at these hours. It all started one night when he forgot his jacket after a dance session with his choreographer. He heard music coming from one of the rooms and took a quick peek.

He’d been coming ever since, just to see her dance. He had never spoken to her, didn’t see her other than here, and the thing he wanted to know most he didn’t. Her name. Now before you go judging don’t think he was the only one who did this, oh no. He knew her secret too. That she would come early to watch him dance as well. He caught her watching on multiple occasions, from the exact same spot he was standing at right now.

Feeling his phone vibrate he snuck away into an empty hall.
“Hello?”, he answered quietly.
“Minkyu, you need to get your down here bro! This place is bumpin’!”
He chuckled, “I’m on my way Jungsoo, I’m on my way.”

The music had already stopped, telling him that she would be packing up her stuff by now. Should leave before she catches me…

 

Inside the mirrored room she gathered her things and zipped up the Hello Kitty gym bag. Grabbing a clean white towel, she continued wiping off the sweat and made her way to the exit. Her phone beeped and she dug in her bag, trying to find it.

“Are you done yet?! You said you would come out tonight!!”

She bit her lip, she did promise her friends she would join them for once. As she made her way to her apartment she thought it through. Over the course of ten minutes she received numerous texts with the same question. Okay, just this once…

 

 


 

 

“Well it’s about time!” Hyunjun put Minkyu into a quick headlock, almost making him fall head first into the cold, black tile. “Okay, okay!” Minkyu chuckled, “I’m here!” He was released from the hold and able to greet his other friends. He hadn’t been out in a while considering he would spend most of his nights watching his beloved mystery girl.

Jungsoo was right, it was packed tonight. He leaned against the bar and looked out into the dance floor, chuckling at the amateurs who dared call themselves dancers. “So are you gonna show them up or…?”, Youngsuk nudged him playfully.

He smirked, “Give it a minute.” Minkyu scanned the area once more until his eyes locked on to a familiar face. She’s here? At that moment everyone else in the club seemed to disappear, with a magical spotlight landing on her.

She easily grabbed everyone’s attention the minute her black heels touched the dance floor. Minkyu could tell she wasn’t the average club goer. Her and her friends all danced together, it was that time that all these guys would go and attempt to see if they could take one and drift them away from the group.

Each time someone tried to dance with her she would just move away. Didn’t even look at them, just took off and continued on her own. That’s the worst kind of rejection at least in his eyes, not even being given a chance.

“Who’s that?” Minsoo asked out loud, his voice sounding dazed. The other boys looked in the same direction. “Haven’t seen her around here.” Minkyu got up and walked towards the crowded floor, his eyes locked on her. His friends looked at each other oddly, “Well I guess he calls dibs.” Hyunjun turned around and ordered another drink.

Minkyu maneuvered through all the bodies. When he finally reached her she turned around, her confidence sunk a little and he noticed. Crap. She gulped and quickly blended with the rest of the crowd. Minkyu was too fast though, and caught her by the elbow.

“Wait.” he said in her ear. She stopped and looked back at him innocently. Her friends who were sitting in a booth gawked at the scene. “Do I know you?” she asked. He his lips, “Don’t play with me.” he smirked, “I know.” She rolled her eyes and yanked her arm away, “I could consider you a stalker, you know for watching me when I have practice.”, he said confidently.

This time she scoffed, “Takes one to know one then.” His smirk dropped, she has seen me watching her. “Now if you’ll excuse me.” she began walking away. “What’s your name?”, he asked, making her halt. “Wouldn’t you like to know.” He sighed when she continued walking but followed her.

He was determined to know at least her name. “Come on, just your name…and maybe a dance?” his warm eyes pleaded her. She blinked, “I’m going to need some convincing.” Minkyu stood there as she made her way to her friends and bit his lip. How am I going to convince her?

“Who’s that?” They asked curiously as she sat down. “Someone.” she answered. They didn’t ask anymore questions but watched as Minkyu glanced back and forth between her and the dance floor. He jumped down the steps and ran to the DJ booth.

She saw them exchange a few words before he removed his jacket, leaving only his black muscle shirt on. He looked at her again before running into the crowd as the song started. She smiled, it was the song he had practiced with earlier that day.

Hyunjun, Minsoo, Jungsoo, and Youngsuk excitedly joined him, giving each other high-fives. He danced his heart out, throwing out his best moves and doing handstands. Minkyu had successfully gotten her attention especially since the people made a circle around them, giving her the perfect view of him.

As the song ended he panted and looked up at her, he held his arms out to the sides telling her to come on down. She gave him a lopsided smile and stood up, “I’ll be back in a minute.” she said. Her friends snickered as she walked down the steps and stopped right in front of him. “Am I worthy?” he smirked. She bit her lip, “Just about…”
“So…name?” he took a step closer to her, leaving only a small amount of space in between them. She motioned towards the dance floor, “How about a dance first?”

Their hands laced together as she led him into the crowd. His hands gently grabbed a hold of her sides, allowing both of their bodies to move fluidly against each other. Minkyu ran his fingers down her bare arms and midriff, creating goose bumps along her skin.

“Are you gonna tell me now?” he whispered in her ear. She smiled as he turned her around, “Should I?”, she asked coyly.
“I’ll tell you mine.” he eyes scanned her face, landing on her lips. Minkyu looked up at her dark brown orbs before leaning in slowly.
“Minkyu.” she said. He furrowed his brows, “Minkyu!” she repeated.

Suddenly he felt pain run through his head. The bright lights of the club made him squint as he looked up. “Minkyu?”, he heard her voice. He rubbed his forehead and closed his eyes tightly, “What happened?” he groaned. A worried Hyunjun sighed with relief, “I need to stop being so rough with you guys. I didn’t know you would fall though, I had a tight head lock on you!”

He felt a pair of hands help him sit up. It was her, the girl he watched every night. Wait…did I dream all of that? She sat on the ground next to him. “How many fingers am I holding up?” she asked. “Three.” he blinked, still astounded that she was in front of him.

Her hands rubbed his temples slowly, the pain slowly fading. “Can you tell me your name?” she asked. “Only if you tell me yours.” he retorted, a small pulse in his neck vein made him cringe. “I don’t think he’s hurt.” Minsoo assured, “He’s asking her for her name, he’s okay.” She chuckled, “I think he’ll be fine. You might want to stop by the hospital though, just to make sure he doesn’t have a concussion.”

Jungsoo nodded, “Also, I’d stop on the horseplay.” she narrowed her eyes at Hyunjun. He looked away, ashamed of what he had done. Minkyu continued to stare at her, “You didn’t tell me your name.” his hand covered hers. She smiled, “Come on, let’s get you to the hospital.” Youngsuk lifted him up and put Minkyu’s arm over his shoulders.

“W-wait!” Minkyu weakly held up his hand, “Her name.”
She shook her head and walked up to him, “Here. Let’s hope you still remember after tonight though.” She slipped a piece of paper into his jacket pocket and patted his arm. He smiled as they took him out of the club, “Let’s go lover boy.”, Minsoo teased.

In the car Minkyu took out the paper.

Joohyun. xxx-xxx-xxx

He smiled, and slipped it back into his pocket. Joohyun~