Annoyance

With All My Heart

Sunday morning, I woke up with headache. I can’t sleep well throughout the night, the memories of Min Woo and Jae In together bugging me all night. I finally fallen asleep when it’s almost dawn but now I can’t get back to sleep. I stepped down from my bed, opened the drawer beside my bed looking for some aspirin. I took one and drink it then walked to the foyer to grab some fresh air. Jae In is so beautiful last night. No wonder Min Woo would choose her over me. I was such a fool, still couldn’t get him out of my head.

Deciding that probably reading books can make me more relax, I walked out from my room and heading to the library. I bumped to mom and dad down stairs.

“Morning Appa. Morning Omma.”

“Morning sweetheart. Do you wanna come with us?” Dad asked me.

“Where are you going?”

“Just take a walk around the neighborhood.”

I want to come with them but my head still heavy so I think I better rest at the library. “No thanks. You two go ahead, I was kinda lazy today so probably gonna spend whole day at home.”

“Well then, go take a rest. You looked tired.” Mom patted my shoulder.

“Okay. Have fun.”

I turn right to the library. I walked in and stop in front of the book shelf, scanning the book, looking for some interesting title then I found one. It’s about fairy world, something involved imagination and the most important thing not a love story. I bring the book with me to the couch and sit on the one which has garden and swimming pool view. I opened the first page, trying to concentrate on the story but I can’t. My head filled with last night encountered. There were couple times I tried to read but ended up I don't understand a single words on it.

I think my mind blank long enough until I didn’t realized that someone is sitting next to me. I was shocked when I turned my head to the side.

Yaaa…how can you sit here without making any sound? You shocked me.”

He laughed. “Mian. I called your name when I came in but it seems you don’t hear me. Where’s Abuji and Omma?”

“They took a walk around the neighborhood.”

“Ahh, I see.” He nodded then he looked interested at the book on my lap. “What are you reading?”

“A book about fairy world.”

“Fairy? Wasn’t that supposed to be kids supplementary?”

“I don’t care.”

He laughed again. “So tell me, what is it about?”

I looked at him annoyed. “You said that it’s kids supplementary so why do you want to know the story?”

“I'm just curious, that’s all.”

I was come here looking for some peaceful and quiet place to ease my mind but his presence make the peaceful moments gone. I closed the book and gave it to him. “See for yourself!”

“Wh—“

He hasn’t finished his words when a familiar voice came from outside the library. The voice became clearer and looks like heading to the library. I can hear the voice yelling ‘Jae Joong Oppa’ and I don’t have to see the face to know who is coming. Hye Rin opened the door to the library and when she found what she's looking for. She darted inside and took the seat beside Jae Joong. So now Jae Joong’s position is between me and Hye Rin. She curled her hands around Jae Joong’s arm.

Oppa, when I came here last night the maid told me that you went to the reunion with Joo Yeon. Why didn’t you tell me? I can go with you.”

She glared at me, I pretend didn’t see it.

“You came this early just to ask me about it?”

She pouted. Jae Joong smiled to her face expression.

“You should’ve called me if you wanted to come.”

“Okay, I forgive you now but next time promise me that you’re gonna bring me along.”

“I promise. So, what makes you came last night?”

“I wanted to ask you to dinner but never mind. Oppa, accompany me to the mall today, okay?”

“Fine, I’ll go get change.” He turned to ask me. “Joo Yeon ah, do you wanna come with us?”

“No thanks.”

I’m getting annoyed with Hye Rin’s spoiled behavior and her eyes that looked at me like an enemy so I stood up from the couch, put back the book to the shelf and turned around my body to them.

“Have fun.” I walked out from the library, leaving them alone.

*****

I accompanied Hye Rin shopping for almost 3 hours then off to the restaurant. When our food served and we begin to eat, she asked me again about last night reunion. She'll never stop nagging until she knows the truth.

Oppa, why did you go to the reunion with Joo Yeon? Why didn’t you ask me?”

I laughed. “Hye Rin ah, are we still gonna talk about this?”

She began to look upset. “It’s because you usually take me with you.”

“I’ll take you if that’s my reunion.”

She looked confuse now. “What do you mean?” She widened her eyes and raised her voice one pitch when she finally got the point. “You mean last night was Joo Yeon’s reunion?”

“Hm. Her university’s reunion.”

She didn’t say anything, probably trying to calm down. I recognized it from her face if she’s getting upset. But I think I didn’t do anything wrong by accompanying my sister to her reunion.

“Hye Rin ah, I think we don’t have to talked about this anymore. Let’s eat. Your food is getting cold.”

“But why did you have to go?”

“You mean to the reunion? Because Joo Yeon needed to be accompany by someone.”

Her voice raised one pitch again, this time she even put down her cutlery. “What? Accompanied? Is Joo Yeon a kid who needs to be accompanied to her friend’s birthday party?”

I let out a deep sigh. “I have reason for accompanied her.”

“Reason? What is the reason?”

“I’m sorry I can’t tell you so please drop it okay?” I looked at my watch, it’s late. “It’s getting late, finish your food faster. I don’t want your family accused me for kidnapping you.”

She smiled with my jokes and finished her food but I knew she already lost her appetite from the moment she heard that it was Joo Yeon’s reunion. I can’t care too much and quickly finished my food. I drove her home after we finished. While waiting at the red light, I spotted a famous buns store at the corner of the street. I decided to stop by. Hye Rin frowned when I pulled my car outside the store.

“Are you still hungry?”

“Ah, it’s not for me. Just a minute.”

I stepped out from the car and walked into the store. I asked them to give me two warm meat buns. It only took five minutes for me to buy and walked back to the car. Hye Rin still curious about the buns, she asked me again while I’m driving.

“For who?”

“For people at home.”

“Uhm, Abeonim?”

I don’t want her raved if I told her to whom I’m gonna give the buns so I just smile and . “Hye Rin ah, you’re acting just like a detective. Even when I bought buns you have to investigate it.”

She whined. “Oppaa….”

I stopped my car in front of her house few minutes later. “Here we are. Say hi to your parents and Yoo Chun from me.”

Ne, annyeong.” She was about to stepped out from the car when she turned back again. “Oppa, don’t forget to dream about me.” She gave me her sweetest smile before she finally stepped out from the car.

I smiled back to her from the open window then after make sure she go inside the house, I drove my car away from her house. I better hurry before the buns turn cold.

*****

I spent the whole day at home, no intention to step out from the house when my head was still thinking about last night encounter. Around 7 o'clock, someone knocked my bedroom door. I opened it, it was the maid. She told me that I have guests waiting in the living room. Guests? I don't think I'm expecting someone tonight.

I walked out from my bedroom and heading to the stairs. As I approached the living room, I saw it was Sae Na and Jin Hee who's coming. But as far as I remember, I only gave them my cell phone number. How do they know my address? I walked towards them with the feelings that they actually didn't come here looking for me. Jin Hee saw me first.

“Joo Yeon ah, annyeong.”

Annyeong. What are you two doing here?” I sat on the couch across them.

Sae Na answered me. “Nothing, just wanna stop by.”

“Right. By the way, it looks like the house is empty. Where are the peoples?” Jin Hee eyes’ busy scanning the rooms.

Ne, there’s only me and the maid. Why?”

“Ahh, nothing.” Sae Na smile bitterly to me.

“Jae Joong is out since morning, he probably back in no time.” I saw Jin Hee and Sae Na looks embarrassed when they realized I know who they actually looking for.

“Ah, you’re so lucky to have Oppa like him. Unlike me, I have an annoying and naughty little brother.”

“Sae Na’s right. You’re really lucky.”

I’m not interested with their complaints or complimentary but I don’t want to hurt their feelings so I just reply them shortly. “Ah, I see. But can I ask you two about something?”

“What is it?”Sae Na replied to my question.

“How did you know my address?”

“Ah, Jae Joong Oppa gave us.”

So, it was Jae Joong who gave them the address. Great.

“Joo Yeon ah.” Jin Hee pulled me close. “Does he already have a girlfriend?”

I shrugged. I don't wanna tell them too much. “I don’t know. As far as I know, he always surrounded by girls so I don’t know which one is his girlfriend.”

“You’re right. He must be the ideal type for all girls, including us. Do you know what kind of girl that he likes?”

Knowing their intention of coming here already make me upset but they seemed not aware of it and added with these silly questions about Jae Joong. They tried to get information through me in the name of friendship. I almost blew up but I hold it, but I can't hide my cynical tone.

“I don’t know. Ask for yourself.”

I heard a click on the front door; I turned my head and looked who’s coming. Good gracious, the man we’re talking about was just walking through the front door. I stood up from the couch and walking towards him. He stand still when he saw me came closer.

“You finally came home. They’re looking for you.”

I spun my head, pointing to the living room. He followed my head gesture then he smiled. He walked pass me to the living room without saying anything, I followed him from behind while putting an upset expression on my face. I slammed my body to the couch and cross my legs while looking at my friends’ happy face because of him.

Oppa, annyeong.”

“Oh, annyeong. What are you two doing here?”

Jin Hee answered while flirting with him. “We’re just stop by to meet Joo Yeon. By the way, when we can hang out together?”

My jaw dropped when I heard Jin Hee said that, it’s obviously their target is Jae Joong not me. I shook my head. I can’t believe I made such a friend like this back then. I continue observed their behavior from my seat.

“Ah, about that. I was kinda busy lately so I don’t think I can make it. But I’ll contact you when I have free time, how about that?”

“Busy with girlfriend huh?” Sae Na .

Jin Hee looked panic. “Is that true? Do you already have a girlfriend?”

Jae Joong laughed and looked at his watch. “It’s late. You two better go home and took a rest.”

I wanna laughed looking at their disappointed face but I restrained, keeping my face straight. I guess they will get this instant if they know he already has a fiancé. They finally bid farewell.

“Okay, we’re going now. Bye Joo Yeon.”

I stood from the couch and waved at them. Jae Joong sent them to the front door then I saw Sae Na turned back.

“Bye Oppa. Ah, this is our phone number. Don’t forget to call us.” Sae Na handed him a piece of paper and he put it into his pocket.

“Okay, be careful.”

He waved at them and when I saw them walked away, I immediately left the living room and heading to my room. Jae Joong saw me walked to the stairs, he called me.

“Joo Yeon ah.”

I pretend didn't hear and keep walking.

*****

I was hoping that she already passed her angry mood when I came home but I was wrong. She still put an angry face when she welcoming me at the front door so I tried my best to make her friends leave without being rude but her mood still didn't change by the way she keep on walking when I called her.

So after I locked the front door, I went after her to her room while bring the buns with me. I knocked on her door, the sound of her foot steps’ coming closer to the door. When she saw who’s knocking on the door, she immediately closed it again but I manage to hold it with my foot and my hand. She didn’t strong enough to hold the door so she stepped backward. I let myself in and closed the door behind me.

Ya, what are you doing? Barged in like that?”

“Why do you suddenly want to close the door when you saw me?”

“That’s my business. Now get out, I wanna sleep.”

“Sleep? But I saw you’re still browsing in the Internet.” I pointed my fingers to her laptop on the bed.

She immediately walked to the bed, took the laptop and closed it. She put it on the desk and turned back facing me again. “What do you want? Is there anything we need to talk about?”

“Explain to me, what is with that angry face back there in front of your friends?”

She threw her face away. “I don’t wanna talk about it so just forget it.”

“Explain or I’m not gonna walked away from this room until you tell me what happen.”

I walked to her bed and sit on the bedside. She stood far from the bed. She looked tense and kept the distance then she crossed her arms in front of her chest.

“Yeah, because you're acting like a cassanova, I have to accompany them for two hours.”

I frowned. “Ye? Cassanova?”

She stared angrily at me. "Yes, they're your hardcore fans. They interrogate me for two hours, asked me anything about you.”

I laughed. “Ahh, it's like that. Well, that’s your fault. Why do you want to accompany them?”

She’s upset now cause she stomped her foot on the floor. “Arghh, whatever. You’re the most annoying person I’ve ever met.”

My laugh become louder, I stood up from the bed and walked towards her. I didn’t realize something dropped from my pants’ back pocket. “No problem if you find me annoying or you even hate me. There’re still a thousand fans out there who adores me.”

I followed her with my eyes when she walked to the bedside and bent down to pick up something from the floor. She handed me the paper.

“Congrats, it’s now become a thousand and two.”

I . “Okay, don’t be upset again. You’ll never get a boyfriend if you behave like that. Here, take it.”

I handed her the paper bag I hold all this time. She frowned when she accept it then she opened it and looked inside. “Eat it while it’s hot.”

I walked towards the door, left her alone with the buns. I really enjoyed my interaction with her although her moods were always unpredictable. It feels good to have a sister. At least, this house doesn’t feel empty anymore.