Effloresce

Super Junior OTP Drabble/Oneshot Project

“Our sweetest songs are those of saddest thought.” -- Percy Bysshe Shelley

 

The screams of the crowd were far away and muffled by the time he got back to the rooms. Shaking his damp, sweaty hair, he grinned around, the adrenaline of the stage still in his blood. There were congratulations from every direction and many hardy pats on the back, but his eyes sought out only one other pair. Those eyes sparkled with warmth as he approached, and he received a warm hug.

“You were amazing out there, Henry.” The eyes’ owner breathed, a goofy grin on his face. Henry smirked in return.

“I told you I’d do it, Kangin, didn’t I?”

There was a round of appreciative laughter all around, the sounds of the performance long gone.

 

-----

 

I remember the days when his smile used to light up the room, and consequently, my heart. Now it lights up stadiums and entire countries.

I remember when he first came in, eager and fresh, a newborn hatchling, almost. A new phoenix in the ashes. Now he has come into his full, glorious plumage, filled out with red and gold and silver.

I remember when we laughed together and played together, basking in the wonder of our lives. Now he is flying to America, Japan, Taiwan, while I am here.

I remember.

 

-----

 

As he grows and blossoms, I can see him evolving. No longer the shy, gentle daisy, he has grown his own thorns. He pricks the same as the rest, high above. He has to, in order to thrive in the scene. To play his very best game. Evolution is science, isn’t it? To promote survival of the fittest. A cold, emotionless science.

But it hurts, sometimes. Sometimes his thorns can hurt me, too.

 

-----

 

He rises, spiraling ever higher and higher. It’s difficult to see, such a faint outline against the bright blue sky. He is joining the giants of our ages, the heroes of our times. I am not sad. No, I am in fact proud: that this creature of light could take his place amongst his equals in the heavens. But as he soars, I am left on the barren, desolate earth, only able to squint as he departs. I may go blind, but I need to see. A single smile, a simple touch is all that I need, but he is out of my reach, amidst the seas of screaming fans chanting one single word: Henry.

And I know that everything will fade to black.

 
 
~~~~~
 
Another KangRy angst, for some odd reason. I blame my friends for picking the numbers. This one isn't that great, but..yeah. Talks about Henry's rising stardom. ♥ What a cute bab.