Red Thread

Red Thread

 

Gye Sun’s POV

Half-eyed open, I noticed the sunshine entered the window.

‘It’s the start of school again, huh?’ I thought as I leaped out of my furrowed bed.  I really don’t like first days of school. Aside from those nervous moments as you introduce yourself in front of the class, there’s a loneliness that I feel.

-I’m really different.-

I was 2 years old back then when my father left me and mom. Mom then got into this depression state. It was really hard and unfortunately I’m an only child so I don’t have anyone to play and talk with normally. Even though she improved now, I’m still aware of what’s happening to her. Maybe that’s the reason why I haven’t made any friends in my school yet. They all have a complete family. No one has ever approached me too. I sometimes hear that it’s because of my actions. But I think I’m not doing anything wrong.

Something’s piercing in my heart whenever I reminisce these moments. I don’t really want to remember it anymore.

Oh well. Gotta wash now. I picked up the soap to wash my face. And there I saw a red thread neatly tied and wrapped around my pinky finger. I tried to remove it but it won’t. It’s a long thread going down through our living room.

“Umma, why is there a long thread here?”

“Thread? What thread? Come on down now. The food’s getting cold.” She answered as she sets breakfast.

She can’t see it. Only me ----- Or not?

I’m done already. I wonder why it’s still here after I brush it for many times.

I don’t want to be bothered so I’ll just go and do my daily routine in school.

 

Taemin’s POV

Aigoo. I’m late again.

Wait. What’s this thread all about? I can’t untie it. Aish. It’s also red. I’m gonna be punished if the president sees this.

I ran as fast as I can to be able to attend our first class. It’s the first day and yet I’m getting all tardy.

Fortunately, I entered the gate before they closed it.

….. And they haven’t noticed the thread.

Why?! You can recognize it as you stare at me. Oh whatever. At least I’m safe.

Right before I opened the door, Minho started to call out my name from the other room.

“Annyeong!” as he came to me and patted my shoulder.

“Hyung, annyeong.” I responded by patting his’ too.

He stared at the hand where the thread was tied to.

“Why is your hand a bit flushed? Did you got into a fight?” he asked while completely staring at it.

“Aniya! I rubbed it to get rid of the thread. But it didn’t work. Can you do it for me?” I seriously said because I was a bit annoyed. I raised my hand in front of his small face.

“What thread? I think it’s not there anymore. It’s just your bare hands right now you know. *riiiiiiing* Hey, we’ll be late. See you later!” he waved at me.

He can’t see it. He really can’t. He won’t lie to me when I put up a serious face like that. What really is this? I entered the room and sat on the vacant chair near the window before the teacher comes.

“Excuse me.” I heard a sweet-shy-angelic voice at my back. It looks like she’s talking to me so I turned around.

 “Can we... please exchange… seats? You’re quite… uhh…. tall so I… can’t see… the front.” She’s trying to look in my eyes. She’s embarrassed, I think, as she blushed and looked down on her hands playing with her fingers.

 I stood up to exchange seats. Oh. Her finger. It’s the same. It really is. I can’t see her face. Why her?

 

Gye Sun’s POV

I’m extremely nervous. I don’t know why I asked this guy in front to exchange seats with me even though I can clearly see the board. Maybe I wanted to talk to him. He has this kind of aura that only rare men have.

Looking down, I really feel embarrassed. Omo. The thread. It became shorter. I looked up again and we caught each other’s eyes. I stood up as soon as I saw him.

“Sorry… for uhh… disturbing. Thanks.” I gave him a shy smile. But he still had this long face.

“Thread...” I heard him whisper. He lifted his hands. It’s the exact same thread.

“Can you see it?” We both asked in chorus. The others were noisy enough to not hear us.

I nodded obediently. He did too. Oh thank god.

Eh? Why thank god? Uhmm, it’s because, at last, someone can see it. I won’t feel and look like crazy anymore. Yeah. That’s the reason.

“Go back to your seats now. We’ll be starting.” Our teacher entered as I almost melt into this guy’s eyes because of our long stare. He’s really cute and handsome. Aish. I think I like him now.

“That would be your seating arrangement for the first semester.” Some reacted like they don’t want it to be like that. But I felt happy. He’s at my back. Omooo. What to do? I feel like my cheeks were getting hot. I started to doze off. I never thought that this school year will have a slight change. Just a little bit.

I’m not aware of the time and it’s already dismissal. I wasn’t able to take notes because of day dreaming. Ah. The thread’s still here. A smile curved on my face.

 

Taemin’s  POV

I need to ask for her name. She’s cute and pretty. I think I like her.

“Can I know your name?” Shoot. I’m so formal.

“Koo Gye Sun. How about you?” she topped packing and tried to stare at me.

“Lee Taemin. Nice to meet you. I guess we’ll be together for a while now.” I already concluded with a smirk.

“Eh? You mean the thread? Ah right. It really amused me when I wasn’t able to unravel it. At first I was really bothered but since I met the one I’m connected to by this thread, I feel really relieved---” she’s quite talkative huh? How cute. She’s blushing.

“Don’t worry. I feel the same way too.”

Unconsciously, I comforted her. And she’s giving a positive respond.  Oh Great.

 

Author’s POV

Winter came. Taemin and Gye sun became good friends. It was the first time that Gye Sun had a friend. And he’s a guy. Taemin, on the other hand, already had friends with the opposite and he can make a girl really comfortable with him. Yes, the thread was still there, the only connection that bloomed between the two. Until that day…

 

Gye Sun's POV

We haven’t talked to each other for almost a week. I wonder what he’s busy and doing about. Seems like I’ve really fallen for him. I want to see and talk with him that much.

It’s 5:30 already. I need to go home now.

Using the same route that Taemin and I go to, there’s a convenience store on the other street side. I thought to buy snacks and desserts for dinner but to my surprise, Taemin was with another girl. They’re exactly in front of the store. His smile was really sincere and they are both happy together.

 I feel that my heart was shattered into pieces. Even though I know he won’t love me as much as I love him, I could still feel the pain. It’s much more hurting than my father leaving us before.

I looked at the thread slowly shortening as the green light went on. A car passed by intersecting the pedestrian line and cut the thread.

 Does this mean that---? Tears were rolling on my cheeks. I feel like running out of nowhere. There’s no connection between us anymore. Nothing anymore.

 Before I could move my feet, I saw him looking on his hands. He’s disappointed, I think. I can’t see clearly because of my blurry and teary eyes. He saw me. Me that was crying like crazy because of a simple thread that is ruining my feelings right here and right now.

He’s going towards me. I don’t want to see him anymore but my body won’t progress from moving.  He grabbed my shoulders with his sad eyes.

“Why you crying?” He’s almost tearing up too.

“Isn’t she your girlfriend? Why did you leave her? “ I’m almost shouting. My feelings were pouring out all of a sudden.

“Girlfriend? Yah! What----”

“The thread’s gone now so there is nothing between us anymore. I know that. I’m hurting so much because of that stupid thread. I’m hurting so much because I love you but you won’t ever feel the same. I’m hurting because--!” I shouted but my voice seemed to become softer. My eyes are really swollen. I can feel the disgust because of the non-stop tears flowing all over my face.

He held me tight. Really tight yet I feel comfortable.

“I’m sorry if I hurt you. I love you too. I love you so much that from the very start, I never know what I was doing whenever I’m with you. Every single thing I do isn’t because I need to do it. It’s because I want it. I always wanted you to be happy. You’re always alone so you caught my eye. I really loved you since the day we met. You don’t need to blame the thread. It became the greatest connection in my life. In our lives.” Beats me. I wasn’t able to say anything. I cried again as I pulled him into a kiss. Tears of joy, so much joy and happiness. I pushed back.

“Who’s the girl before?” stupid question. It might ruin the moment but it’s good to ask.

“She’s my cousin. She’s in an all-girls school so I asked her how girls act and how to impress and make a girl happy. That girl I’m referring is you, Gye Sun. I’m sorry for---”

“Aniya! I’m sorry for misunderstanding. Thank you so much. I love you too. I really love you.”

The thread isn’t that bad either huh? I guess the thread was cut because it wasn’t the reason for us to be together anymore. Because the only reason left is Love.

 

It's bad eh? I would like to hear you guys. Thanks for reading. :D