Of blue sky and green field

Seven Days

 

MONDAY

 

The sun is scorching up in the vast sky, sending warm rays to the world. Flowers are still blooming everywhere. The air is mixed with both cool and warm breeze, giving comfort to people and carving smiles on their face.

 

It is the first day of summer. It is the kind of time of the year that she loves the most.

 

Chorong is gazing at the stunning blue sky when she receives a call from her friend. “The weather’s nice. Let’s go watch a soccer match,” Bomi says over the phone.

 

Chorong laughs at her friend. She can always count on Bomi for quirky suggestions out of the blue. “Now? Why soccer match though, all of a sudden?”

 

“What’s wrong with a soccer match? I went to one once to watch my brother. There are lots of good looking guys,” replied Bomi nonchalantly.

 

Again, Chorong laughs. She knows that when it comes to boys, she can’t debate Bomi. “Okay then, I’ll be there in ten minutes.”

 

As promised, ten minutes later, she joins Bomi on the bleachers by the side of the sparkling green field. The boys, she notices, are wearing casual attires instead of jerseys. Even Bomi’s brother is wearing a pair of faded blue jeans which had been rolled up to the calves. Seeing her taking a seat next to his sister, Doojoon smiles and gives her a brief wave before returning his attention back to the game.

 

It is a nice day to be outside. Chorong, who has never been that interested in soccer, takes out a book from her bag. She puts it on her lap and starts reading. But then, a ball comes rolling in the two girls’ direction.

 

“Can you pass it back?” she hears a voice asking. When she tears her eyes off her book and glances up, Bomi is already on her way to pick the ball up.

 

Chorong sees two boys coming over with hands on their hips. Bomi throws the ball, but with the strength she has resulted from years of taekwondo, it flies over their head to the center of the field. The two boys run back to resume the game. One of them, however, glances back. “Thanks!” he yells with a smile.

 

Even though it was Bomi who helped, his eyes are looking straight at Chorong.

 

Chorong smiles back. Her gaze later is fixed on that very boy who seems to glimmer under the sun. By then, she has already forgotten about her book.

 

 

---

 

TUESDAY

 

The sun is scorching up in the vast sky, sending warm rays to the world. Flowers are still blooming everywhere. The air is still mixed with both cool and warm breeze, giving comfort to people and carving smiles on their face.

 

It is the second day of summer. It is still the kind of time of the year that she loves the most.

 

Today, Chorong is the first to give her friend a call. “Let’s go watch the match,” she says over the phone.

 

Today, it is Bomi’s turn to laugh. “I thought you don’t like soccer?”

 

“Well, it was fun,” Chorong replies.

 

Ten minutes later, they are already at the field, settling themselves at the same spot where they sat the previous day.

 

Like yesterday, Chorong brings along a book and rests it on her lap. However, her eyes are fixed on a certain boy on the field. Throughout the match, she silently wishes that the ball would come rolling in their direction again. But none comes.

 

She lingers around after the match ends with an excuse of wanting to walk home with Bomi and her brother. She forces herself to focus her attention on her book while waiting for Doojoon to pack his stuff when inside, her heart is beating rapidly as the same boy from yesterday walks over to the bleachers to get his bag.

 

Before taking his leave, he steals a glance at Chorong the exact same time she does at him which sends a jolt to her heart. Their eyes meet, and slowly his lips curl into a smile. “See ya,” he says.

 

And Chorong floats back home.

 

 

---

 

WEDNESDAY

 

The sun is still scorching in the sky. Flowers are still blooming everywhere. The air is still mixed with both coolness and warmness.

 

It is the third day of summer. It is still one of her favourite times of the year.

 

Today, neither Chorong nor Bomi gives the other a call. Instead, they go straight to field, sitting at the same spot as the previous days.

 

Today, just like the previous two days, Chorong still brings along her book, but abandons it the second she places it on her lap.

 

Today, her eyes are still fixed on the same boy who seems to glimmer under the sun.

 

Today, she still wishes that the ball would come rolling her way. None comes, much to her disappointment.

 

Today, she still uses the same excuse and wait for Doojoon to pack his stuff while pretending to read after the game ends. Much to her surprise, that very boy approaches her.

 

“What are you reading?” he asks.

 

Unable to trust her own voice, Chorong picks up the book and shows him its cover. His eyes trail on the title, and he nods before revealing his boyish smile. “Cool,” he comments as he slings his bag over his body. “See ya,”

 

“See ya,” Chorong manages to croak out, but the boy is already out of view.

 

 

---

 

THURSDAY

 

The sun is still scorching in the sky. Flowers are still blooming everywhere. The air is still mixed with both coolness and warmness.

 

It is the fourth day of summer. It is still one of her favourite times of the year.

 

Today, both Bomi and Doojoon cannot go to the match. A distant relative of theirs passed away early that morning, so the two siblings and their parents have to go back to their hometown.

 

Chorong hesitates whether she should go to the field alone since her excuse for being there is not available that day. She glances at the vast blue sky for a minute, and grabs her bag. With a determination, she walks to the field and fills her usual seat.

 

Today, she forces her eyes to stay glued on her book as her wall is not around. Even so, she still wishes the same wish.

 

Today, like the previous two days, the match ends without any ball rolling her way. Quietly, she shoves her book into her bag and begins to leave while restraining her eyes from the boy.

 

“Hey, wait up!” a voice comes behind her. Chorong stops on her tracks and glances back, and her eyes widen slightly.

 

It is that very same boy, jogging lightly towards her to catch up while struggling with the zipper of his bag. She takes the opportunity to study him. Just like the days before, he is not wearing a proper soccer jersey, but just a simple pale blue tee which reminds her of the sky and black above-knee shorts. Beads of perspiration are rolling down from his forehead, and she notices that he is drenched in sweat.

 

He slings his bag over his body and turns his focus on her at last. “You’re alone today,” he points out with his signature boyish smile.

 

“My friend can’t make it today,” she replies.

 

“I see,” he nods, his smile never leaving his face. “I’m Minhyuk by the way.” He extends a hand to initiate a handshake, but upon realizing that it is stained with the grass and mud, he pulls it back quickly. “Sorry, my hand’s dirty,”

 

She shakes her head and extend her hand. “No, it’s fine,” she assures him. “I’m Chorong,”

 

After a moment of hesitation, Minhyuk grabs her hand and does a small shake. “Nice to meet you, Chorong,”

 

A group of other boys then call out for him, and he runs to join them after flashing another smile. Halfway, he pauses and glances back. “See ya, Chorong!” he shouts, before picking up his strides again.

 

---

 

FRIDAY

 

The sun is still scorching in the sun, albeit being hidden among the fluffy white clouds. Flowers are still blooming. The air is slowly losing the crisp cool breeze.

 

It is the fifth day of summer, and she loves it just the same.

 

Today, both Bomi and Doojoon are back from their hometown, and the two girls settle in their usual seats on the bleachers.

 

Today, for some reasons she cannot understand, Chorong brings along a Tupperware of chopped strawberries to the field in addition to her book. She keeps it in her bag, though.

 

Today, Minhyuk is missing from the field.

 

Losing her interest in both the match and her book, she fixes her gaze on the vast blue sky instead. At the end of the game, her neck hurts.

 

Today, she doesn’t wait for Doojoon. Right after the game ended, she hands Bomi her strawberries and heads home without another word.

 

 

---

 

SATURDAY

 

The sun is still scorching as usual, albeit being hidden by the clouds. Flowers are still blooming, albeit not everywhere anymore. The cool breeze is slowly vanishing from the warm air.

 

It is the sixth day of summer, and she loves it all the same.

 

Today, Chorong cannot go to the field since her mother tells her to show her visiting cousin around town. Obediently, she brings him out and walks him from one place to another.

 

On their way, they pass by the field where the match is still on. She pauses for a while, her eyes searching for the boy who was absent yesterday. At last, she finds him near the goalpost chasing after a ball to make a goal.

 

To her surprise, his aim is off, and the ball lands four feet from where she stands.

 

He comes running in her direction to retrieve the ball. Just when she is about to pick it up, her cousin beats her to it.

 

“Here,” says Dongwoon as he throws the ball back.

 

“Thanks,” Minhyuk mumbles in reply. Before heading off to resume the game, he gives Chorong a small smile, but the smile did not reach his eyes.

 

 

---

 

SUNDAY

 

The sun is still blazing in the sky as usual, no longer hiding behind the clouds. Flowers are still blooming everywhere, painting colours to the world. The air is warm, but not suffocating.

 

It is the seventh day of summer. It is by far Chorong’s favourite kind of weather.

 

Today, however, she decides to go to the library instead to get a new book. Perhaps a few. She spends roughly an hour going through shelves after shelves. Once she’s done choosing the books, she makes her way to the counter and leaves with new reading materials in her hands.

 

She glances at her phone’s clock and realizes that it is about time the soccer match ends. She decides to walk past the field, just in case.

 

She finds him lying with his back leaned on the bleachers. Using his bag to support his head, he stares ahead at the vast blue sky. She studies him for several more minutes, but as if knowing a pair of eyes is watching him, Minhyuk tilts his head up and sees Chorong’s figure upside down.

 

“Hi,” he says, maintaining his awkward, uncomfortable position for a few more seconds before finally sitting up straight.

 

“Hi,” she returns.

 

“You missed the game today,” he points out.

 

“I went to the library,”

 

“I see,” his eyes flick to her empty sides. “You alone today?”

 

She frowns at his question, then, she remembers her company the day before. “Ah, you mean my cousin? He went back to Seoul last evening,”

 

Minhyuk raises his eyebrows. “Oh,” he exhales. A smile appears on his face ― his usual boyish smile. “Oh,” he repeats. Grabbing his bag, he jumps off the bleachers and lands suavely on his feet. “Are you going back now?” he asks.

 

Chorong nods in reply.

 

“Can I walk you home?”

 

She keeps silent for the longest ten seconds in their lives. Their eyes are locked on one another’s. Her lips slowly curve into a smile. “Sure,”

 

His smile widens. He quickly jogs over and carries her books for her. And together, they begin a leisure stroll under the vast blue sky with flowers blooming all around them, caressed by the warm yet comfortable breeze.

 

And he walks her home every day after that.