New Beginnings

Concealed Truths

   The excited cries and cheers of teenagers broke through the peaceful rest that Heo Young Saeng had finally managed to achieve. After a busy day of going from here to there, the chance to lie on the shaded grass under the trees of what had seemed like a quiet park had been too inviting to pass up. Now, however, after finally getting comfortable, he had to try hard to ignore the commotion happening behind the line of trees where he was.

     To distract himself, Young Saeng admired the nature around him. It was the time of year where the dead of winter had almost been replaced with the new life of spring. The grass was a dark shade of green and the trees were full of life. Flowers, not fully blossomed, hinted at the eye-catching colours they would grow into. Though light white clouds dotted the sky, the sun’s light and warmth could be felt. The colour of the sky was a bright blue like no other he had seen before. Another loud jeer from behind stole his thoughts from the promising life around him.

 

     Being unable to focus, and with his curiosity growing, Young Saeng decided to see exactly what it was entertaining the crowd of immature youths. He suspected that it was a fight between two guys over some girl, since that’s what teenagers seemed to be most concerned with, whose dating who. After stepping past the tree line, Young Saeng's suspicion seemed to be true as he saw a group of high school students surrounding what he assumed to be the two fighters.

 

     "Kids" he said under his breath while shaking his head. Figuring that he should be responsible and stop the fight before someone got seriously hurt,  Young Saeng moved forward towards the 20 some students. At least, with it ended, he might be able to rest for a bit more before having to go back to the studio for practice. However, it turned out to not be as simple as he had thought.

 

     Of all the possibilities of what could have been going on inside the ring of students, Young Saeng did not expect to see a foreign girl lying on the ground bleeding from a gash on her knee and a cut on her forehead. The school uniform she wore was torn and stained with what he hoped was tomato juice. Her long black hair was messy as if she had been dragged by it and her green eyes brimmed with tears. 

 

     Young Saeng suddenly became enraged at the scene around him. Instinctively he grabbed the hand of a boy about to hit the poor girl. Unable to control himself, Young Saeng swung and felt his right fist connect with the jaw of the caught boy.

 

     "Do you think your all that because you can hurt a defenseless girl by ganging up on her?" he challenged glaring at them. "Why don't you try fighting fair? I'll take you on right now. If not, than leave."

 

     With the kids disappearing faster than he thought possible,  Young Saeng turned back to the girl who was attempting to stand up on her own. His anger turned to concern as she begun to lose her balance and fall. He instantly grabbed her elbow to help steady her. With that small contact between the two of them, Young Saeng felt a strange link form and was disappointed when she quickly ripped her arm from his grasp. Shaking his head at the sudden silliness of his thoughts, he heard her say "What do you want?"

 

     "Are you okay?" he replied, surprised at the anger in her voice.

 

     "Like those kids could actually hurt me."

 

     'Right," he said raising an eyebrow, " Come on. I'll take you to the hospital."

 

     "What for? It’s not like I asked for your help."

 

     Forgetting that she was hurt, due to his raising anger at her rudeness, Young Saeng   scolded her, "Hey, who do you think you are? Is this how you treat someone who’s just saved you? The least you could do is say thank you and let me take you to be treated."

 

     "Whatever."

 

     The girl began to turn away, but stopped half way, as if something had caught her eye. Taking a handkerchief from her pocket, she carefully took his hand and bandaged his bleeding knuckles. In his rush to see if she was okay, he hadn't noticed that he had been hurt. The guy’s head must have been harder then he thought. Her hands were surprisingly soft and gentle as she completed the task. Once done she said a thank you so soft that he had almost missed it.

 

     Young Saeng Had watched as she bandaged his hand and now slowly looked up to say that he would bring her to get her wounds treated, but she was already gone. He spent the rest of his free time looking for her around the park, worried that she might've passed out from her injuries. After returning to the studio, late, Heo Young Saeng’s mind kept wondering back to what had happened at the park until he realized that what had frustrated him the most was not how rude she had been but that she hadn't looked directly at him once.