The Date and Confession

Borrowed Time

Minho's POV

 

"Minho! Heading off to practice?" my soccer friend Taecyeon asked.

"Yeah, just going to put my books in my locker."

"Let's go to practice together, then."

 

I went to my locker. I saw a boy, who's locker was next to mine, having problems with his books. Soon enough, his books came crashing to the floor, failing to grab even one. I remembered Taemin's words from yesterday. Be a helping hand. So I helped the boy pick up his books. His eyes widen from shock and I heard a gasp from behind.

"T-thank you." The boy stuttered and I just smiled at him.

After putting my books in my locker and heading off to the soccer field, Taecyeon asked, "What happened back there?"

"What do you mean?" I looked a him in confusion.

"I mean, it was out of your character to even help a damsel-in-distress. It's the first time I saw you help someone." He was smiling like a father who saw his kid walk for the first time.

"Why? Do I really look that heartless to you? Am I not good enough to help?" I glared at him.

"Hey, don't get me the wrong way, okay? I was complimenting you." He patted my back.

"Oh, sorry then." I smiled. "You could say that I have been changed by an angel."

"Do I sense 'love' in here?" He looked at me mischievously.

"What? No, no. You got it all wrong. Let's just say that someone was good enough to tell me that I should change."

"Well, okay then." He smiled coyly before running off to the soccer field. I knew he didn't believe me, he thought I was in love.

 

Practice was finally over and I was excited to go home. I quickly took a shower and changed immediately. I left without saying goodbye to my teammates and walked back home.

"Minho! How was your soccer practice?" Taemin almost jumped on me the moment I opened the front door of the house.

"T-Taemin! What are you doing here?" my eyes widen.

"Oh, I cooked dinner for you since you're going home late." He beamed.

"No. I mean, how did you get inside? And how'd you know I had soccer practice?" He put on a straight face before replying, "Well, I arrived here a bit earlier than yesterday so I waited for you outside but then I realized that you forgot to lock your door so I went in. I didn't do anything, I swear. Just cleaned up a bit and cooked dinner. And about the soccer thing, I kinda guessed it from the soccer ball that I found on the floor when I was cleaning."

"I forgot to lock the door?! How stupid of me. Thank goodness it was you who realized. And I'm not doubting you. I was just shocked. By the way, I helped someone today. And it felt... awesome." I told him. I was wondering though if I really forgot to lock the door. I was sure I double-checked it. Oh, well. It doesn't matter since Taemin cooked dinner for me.

"Really? That's great, then! I told you it feels great. I'm glad you're starting to lose that bad attitude of yours." He complimented me.

"What's for dinner, by the way?" I headed to the kitchen to see the table full of food: steak, pasta, mashed potato and some other food that I haven't seen. My mouth suddenly became watery.

"I didn't know what kind of food you liked so I made Western food today." He said, looking down.

"I like any type of food. As long as it's delicious." I hurried to the table and began eating. Taemin laughed at me.

"Minho, do they starve you when you play soccer?" I looked up to see Taemin sitting in front of me. I couldn't eat nor speak anymore when I saw Taemin's beauty. He was so beautiful that he was almost glowing. His hair was too long for a guy but it definitely complimented his pretty face and perfect eyes. His lips were pink and plump. It was the first time I've ever seen someone so beautiful. I must've been dazed for minutes now because Taemin was waving a hand in front of my face when I came back to reality.

"Earth to Minho! What are you looking at?" His eyes were confused and his lips were in a pout. He looks so lovely.

"N-nothing. I-I wasn't looking a-at you." I stuttered.

He melodiously laughed, sending chills to my back. "What? I didn't say you were looking at me. You must be so tired from practice. Why don't we call it a day after dinner and I'll go back tomorrow, okay?"

"Yeah, I must be tired." I said.

I was reluctant to let him go so early but then I thought I'd be meeting him tomorrow. "I don't have soccer practice tomorrow. Why don't we go out tomorrow?"

"Like on a date?" His eyes widen.

"If you want to call it a date..." I didn't continue my sentence and waited for him to answer.

"Then date it is." He smiled again, making my knees weak. I've never been like this around anyone. Is this what Taec was saying 'love'?

We ate dinner while chatting about ourselves again. I found out that he was a good dancer and when I told him to show me, he just said "Next time" and continued to ask about me again. I told him about my parents who are working their butts off in China right now. My father is a businessman while my mother is a doctor. They coincidentally both had very important issues to attend to in China so they are there for the whole month. That's why I've been all alone in this big house for the past two weeks.

"I'll be able to accompany you for the meantime. At least before your parents get back." He said.

"Speaking of that, what did you mean when you said 'next thirteen days'? Are you going somewhere?" He stopped eating and looked at me, his eyes were unreadable. There was a hint of disappoinment, regret and loneliness in his eyes.

"Yeah... You could say that I'll be heading off somewhere... somewhere far away." He said in a sad voice. I suddenly felt a strange energy in my body, wanting to hold the younger boy. So without thinking, I stood up and hugged him.

"Mi-Minho." He squeaked. I quickly let go of him and coughed.

"Sorry about that." I scratched the back of my neck.

"No, it's okay. It was nice, actually. Very warm." I looked up to see his cresent-shaped eyes, he was smiling at me again. It only made my heart leap in joy.

The dinner finished and we washed the dishes together. I led Taemin to the front gate of our house before saying goodbye, I hugged him again. "See you tomorrow. 6:30, at the park."

"Bye, Minho."

 

The day couldn't be slower than it could get. It was my last afternoon class but I feel like I'm going to burst, waiting for the bell to ring. Instead of wasting my time waiting for the bell, I thought of Taemin. It's been only two days since we met each other but I felt some kind of connection wtih him, like we've known each other for years. It was rare for me to have that kind of attachment to someone since I've been quite an introvert since that incident in middle school. The only reason why I'm popular in high school is because I'm the ace of the soccer team and not because I'm friendly an approachable.

"Choi Minho!"

A loud voice broke me from my daydream. I looked up to see our teacher in front of me, hands on her waist. "What are you doing dozing off in my class?"

"I-I'm sorry, Ms. Yoon. I have a headache and I can't handle it so I rested." I lied.

"Why don't you go home early then? Just ask for one of your classmate's notes tomorrow."

I excused myself and left school. I didn't mean to lie but I really wanted to see Taemin as soon as possible.

 

 

When I arrived at the park, my eyes immediately caught Taemin. Who wouldn’t notice that boy when he looks like a member of some girl group? His hair was held up high in a ponytail and he was wearing a black statement tee paired with a bright red skinny pants. His legs were long and slender, it could belong to a girl.

“Minho!” Taemin smiled prettily and waved at me. I waved back and ran towards him.

“Did you wait long?”

“No, I just arrived. So… where do we go now?” Taemin leaned closer. I could feel my face redden from the sudden closeness of the boy.

“Uh… Wanna go to the arcade?”

“Sure, let’s go!” He grabbed my hand and walked to the arcade which was only a few meters away from the park.

On the way to the arcade, we talked about ourselves as usual. I told him about my passion for soccer and my dreams of becoming a professional soccer player someday. I noticed him fall into a frown while I was talking about it and asked him why.

“Nothing… It’s just so nice to have a dream.” He sighed.

“Why? Don’t you have a dream? Isn’t being a professional dancer your dream?” I put my hands on his shoulders.

“It used to be but for some reasons, I don’t have any dreams anymore because I know it is impossible now.”

“What do you m---”

“Hey, there’s the arcade. Let’s go!” He returned to his bubbly self and pulled me along with him inside.

We played all sorts of games. We played basketball, Dance Dance Revolution X3, DrumMania XG and Guitar Freaks XG before we decided to take a break. When we were about to go out, Taemin saw the crane machine where you can win a stuffed toy. He did his aegyo to make me play that game and of course, I submitted to his request. It was my first time to play that game and it took me 38 minutes and 23 tries to get only one stuffed toy. I took out the Keroro stuffed toy Taemin wanted so much and he quickly grabbed it from my hands.

“Thank you, thank you, Minho! You don’t know how special this is to me.” He was jumping like a kid, very happy to get the stuffed toy.

“You’re welcome. But… why Keroro? I could’ve gotten you the Pororo one.”

“Because it looks just like you.” He beamed.

“What?! I do not!” My eyes widen, giving more reasons for Taemin to think I look just like a frog.

“Yeah, you do. You just made yourself look like one a while ago with your eyes opening wide.” He teased me.

I pinched his cheeks hard and earned a very cute pout from Taemin’s lips. How I wanted to kiss those lips just now.

I was still pinching Taemin when I saw many people look at me like I was some kind of idiot. I ignored their looks and took Taemin to the convenience store. Was it their first time to see two guys flirting… if you could call that flirting at all?

Taemin insisted on waiting outside the store so I went inside and bought us some drinks.

“Taemin, where do you want to go next?” I asked him when I got out.

“I want to come back to the arcade and go to the photo booth. I’ve never took a photo in a photo booth before.” He said.

“Okay then, let’s go.” I grabbed his hand this time and led him to the arcade and into the photo booth.

We tried different kinds of pose in front of the camera and everytime, I would stare at Taemin’s image in the screen. He was doing all sorts of cute poses that made me want to hug him instantly. He was so adorable and he doesn’t even notice it. It was the last picture and without thinking, I kissed Taemin’s cheek in time with the click of the camera. His reaction in the photo was so cute but when I turned to face him, he looked… sad. Did I offend him with my action?

“Taemin…” I started.

“No, it’s alright. Don’t… let’s just get out of here.” He got the photo and stormed out of the arcade.

We walked together in awkward silence. I wanted to speak but no words came out. It was Taemin who broke the silence.

“This isn’t right.” He whispered, almost making it inaudible for me to hear.

“Why?” We stopped walking and looked at each other.

“You don’t know me.” He simply said.

“But I know you. I know that you’re a bubbly kid with a good sense of humor. You’re a boy with an attitude of a girl, not that I care. And if I don’t know you enough, I could still get to know you… right?” I held his hands.

“No. I told you, I’m going somewhere far away. Somewhere even you can’t go to. And I’m leaving in 12 days.” His face hardened.

“But… I like you.” I blurted out.

“No. You don’t understand. You can’t like me.” He freed himself from my grasp.

“Why can’t I like you? Is it because you don’t like me? I’m fine with unrequited love.” I tried to hold him again but he backed away.

“No. You can’t like me because… just because I don’t want to.”

Without even giving me time to answer, he ran off. I tried to follow him but he was so fast that he disappeared the moment I turned.

 

For the next two days, Taemin didn’t show up in my house. I waited for him to arrive every single day that I even skipped soccer practice. My teammates have been asking me what’s my problem lately but I just ignored them. I was living my life without direction. Everything that I did was habitual. Wake up, eat, bathe, go to school, go home, wait for Taemin, eat and then sleep.

I was already losing hope when I heard the doorbell rang while I was watching, or maybe just looking at the television. I dragged myself from the couch and slowly opened the door to reveal Taemin who was wearing his usual smile.

“Minho.”

 

 

A/N: So... I decided to make it into a three-shot fic since the whole fic wouldn't fit in a two-shot. Hope you like it! Please do comment. I'm very eager to know your opinion so that I know what to do. Thanks! ^.^