Multilingual

Multilingual

It was nothing special, how they met.

Nikki was waiting for her incredibly slow friend, Anjii, leaning against the locker next to Anjii’s.

While Anjii was furiously rummaging around in her backpack for something, Nikki related all of the day’s happenings to Anjii.

“And then in history class, we…. Anjii, are you even listening?” she asked as Anjii stopped gathering her books and started staring off into the distance.

“Oh.. Um… yeah! That’s interesting, Nikki! Please continue!” Anjii replied as she continued watching something on the other end of the hallway, not paying attention to Nikki at all.

Nikki sighed. It was useless trying to talk to Anjii like this. But what was it that Anjii was so fascinated with? She could tell that it was some person, but since when had Anjii been interested in watching people? She decided to go take a look.

As Nikki drew closer to the end of the hallway, she saw what Anjii had been watching. Some guy was walking around, holding a giant teddy bear. Nikki rolled her eyes. But there was also another guy there, bent over his locker, frowning in concentration as he twiddled the dial on his locker. Clearly, he was having some trouble, so Nikki, being the ever-helpful person she was, asked him if he needed any help.

But when he looked up at her, his bangs fell across his long eyelashes in such a way that when he smiled, Nikki couldn’t help but stare at him too. However, she quickly recovered and smiled back at him.

“Oh yes. Thank you,” he replied in halting English. It was clear that he had just transferred to their school from another language, probably Korea, judging by his accent. Luckily for him, Nikki had just happened to be learning Korean from one of her other friends.

As Nikki easily opened his locker door after glancing at his combination, she asked him in fluent Korean, if he was Korean or not, and why he had transferred to this particular high school.

If the guy was surprised by this, he didn’t show it. And when Nikki offered to show him around the school, he gratefully accepted. The two went down to the snack shop and chatted over hot chocolate and bagels. Nikki completely forgot about Anjii and her history class as she laughed with him. One more glance at that charming smile and captivating eyes, and she nearly forgot her own name. But his was forever ingrained into her heart now.

His name was Sungmin and he was going to be staying in America for a few months to improve his English. He did martial arts. He played the piano, and the guitar. He liked singing. And he loved, absolutely loved, the color pink.

They started hanging out after school every day after that, and were soon inseparable. It wasn’t just Nikki or Sungmin anymore. If anyone had to ask, it would be Nikki and Sungmin. Nikki and Sungmin are in the snack shop. Nikki and Sungmin are by the fountain. Like that.

By the time he had to leave for Korea again, they had exchanged promises to email every day and call at least once a week.

Years passed, and Sungmin went on to be a famous singer, in a band called Super Junior. His sweet voice floats out of the speakers and fills her heart whenever she listens to his music, which is often. She often wonders if he still remembers her, but whenever he speaks English with that familiar accent, her heart soars, because during those moments, she somehow knows he does.