Just a friend?

Just a friend?

 

It was all quiet, darkness having fallen already just a few hours ago. My best friend Krystal Jung, or Jung SooJung, and I had decided to retire to our beds early some time before since we had school the next day. I glanced at the digital clock residing on my bedside table; it now read 11:28pm.

I sighed internally. Why did sleep always have to elude me like this? I idly wondered if Krystal was still awake. I listened to her deep breathing, slowly and evenly in the dark silence of our shared dorm room. I could practically see her chest rising up and down slightly as I turned to face her side of the room where she lay, her hair fluttering as she exhaled.

…Okay, that’s just my vivid imagination at work; it’s way too dark to actually see anything. I knew that was how she would look, though, with me having snuck countless looks at her discreetly.

I closed my eyes as my mind conjured up a mental image of her: her long eyelashes would rest softly on her creamy, pale, flawless skin; she’d look like a total angel. Her hands would-

Oh , I’m definitely wide awake now. I berated myself for even trying to think about her. I knew once I got started, I’d stay awake.

See, I’ve liked Krystal for ages now, ever since we’d first become roommates at SM Academy, in fact. Everything about her was so… y. There would be no better word to describe her stunning beauty or aegyo. Her smiles, the way she held herself, those nose wrinkles when she didn’t like something… hell, even those ice cold death glares that could freeze fire. Those were omg y, though once she throws one your way, you’d better be prepared to run for your life or to get on your knees and apologize profusely; I usually go for the latter.

Ah, I’ve gone back to my “Krystal thoughts”. They seriously made me happy and depressed at the same time: happy because they’re of Krystal, depressed because I know she’ll never be mine. I sound like such a lovesick puppy, bleh.

I know she likes guys; she went out with Minho for a few months before she dumped his sorry when she found out he was two-timing her. Seriously, when I found out that she ditched him, I felt like running around campus and yelling my lungs raw out of pure joy.

I shook my head, trying to get rid of these troublesome thoughts; I really needed to sleep. Once again deciding that I would sleep, I shifted in my bed so that I faced my wall again. My bed creaked slightly as I repositioned my body comfortably.

All of a sudden, the room became almost deathly silent. Uh-oh, did I wake the Mini Ice Princess up? . To interrupt Her Highness’ beauty sleep is not a favourable act.
I was probably overreacting as the room continued to stay quiet. I let out a low breath, not realising that I’d been holding one in. Boy, she really knew how to make me nervous.

 

“…Amber?”

I froze in my position, everything in my body having stopped functioning as I debated whether to answer her or not.

“…Yeah Krys?” God, I hope my shaky voice wasn’t that obvious.

“I just wanted to tell you something… do you mind?” she whispered quietly but clearly.

“Ah, no, tell me whatever you like,” I answered her.

“…I’m not exactly sure how to start.”

“It’s okay, take your time. I won’t be going anywhere at this time,” I said, grinning as I turned to face her again, propping my head up on my hand. I was getting a little curious.

“Well, um… I really just wanted to thank you for being a good friend. You’ve always stuck beside me during all the times I needed someone to lean on, like with the Minho incident. You were always there for me… I love you Amber.”

My eyes were wide open in shock as my slow brain processed those words sluggishly. Krystal Jung… loves me?

It’s too good to be true.

However, before I really had time to think about it, she took a deep breath and continued.

“You’ll always be my best friend.”

…Oh, that explains it. It really was too good to be true. I was getting friendzoned yet again. It was like she had just made me feel like the happiest person on this Earth, and then proceeded to grab the nearest diamond tipped hammer and pound on my heart until it was in a gazillion pieces.
My eyes started filling up with some wet substance I didn’t want to acknowledge. I jumped up out of bed and grabbed a coat along with my cap.

“Amber?” she asked in a worried tone, yet it managed to sound cute at the same time. Oh her aegyo.

“It’s nothing, I need some fresh air,” I muttered thickly before running out. I really didn’t want her to know how I felt. It would probably freak her out, like hardcore.

“Amber, wai-!” I heard her call out before I slammed the door shut and sprinted outside. I wasn’t kidding; I really needed to get out.

I ran and ran, straight to the local nearby park. , it was dark and pretty damn late, but I had faith in my defensive Taekwondo skills. I finally came across a bench which overlooked a lake I usually visited whenever I needed some space. I collapsed on it, exhaling heavily as my hit the timber planks hard. I hunched over, my arms on my head as I leaned forward and took deep breaths. It was kinda hard to run with a large coat on you; at least I wouldn’t get cold.

The night air blew against my face. It was really cool and refreshing, perhaps even more so because of the tears now running freely down my face in thin streams. I sniffed, wondering why she said that to me; did she really enjoy beating me up emotionally like this? Well of course what she said was logical, stupid Amber. You’re good for her as a friend and nothing more. I sat there, crying my eyes out with my face buried into my palms and hopefully not making too much noise.

Suddenly, I felt a pair of arms wrap themselves around my neck. Instantly, I started panicking while cursing myself at the same time for not paying any attention to my surroundings. I immediately thought of ways in which I could free myself, but before I could stand up in a more advantaged position, the “attacker” yelled right in my ear.

“YAH! Who said you could run off on me like that?”

Oh my ears, my poor poor ears. As I reflexively rubbed them tenderly, I realised who it was.

“KRYSTAL?” I shouted, surprised and feeling somewhat stupid as I turned my head to the side. Derp, who else would it be? I mentally facepalmed myself.

“Stupid Amber! Why did you run off on me like that? I was in the middle of a talk!”

I let out a small sigh. “Sorry, sorry,” I said as I turned my head back to the view of the lake. I wasn’t feeling particularly enthusiastic or in the mood to talk to her right now. What else did she want to say? My heart was beyond repair.

“As I said… you’ll always be my best friend, Amb-“

“Yeah yeah, I know, friends forever,” I mumbled disappointedly, yet I was enjoying the feeling of her arms around me. I wish she could do this forever; it felt quite nice. At the same time my heart was continuously ripping itself into tiny fragments at the thought that I’d be just a friend and only a friend. Talk about jarring emotions and feelings.

“Yah, stop interrupting me!” she reprimanded as she gave me a light smack to the side of my head.

“Sorry, again,” I sighed as I hung my injured head.

She tightened her hold around me gently as she whispered into my ear. I felt myself burn up slightly from the seductive feeling.

“…but I want us to be something more than that.”

I swear, I’m gonna die early if she keeps making my heart go nuts like this.

“Something more… like what?” I asked cautiously, not daring to believe the implications of her words. We all know how that earlier episode turned out.

“Why don’t you tell me? I’m sure you know what I mean,” she said. I could just tell she was smirking at this moment. Without knowing what I was doing, I turned my head and blurted, “Krystal Jung, I love you. Will you be mine?”

There was no reply, only a silence in which was punctuated by the sound of my heart rapidly speeding up to about 2,000 km/h.

Suddenly, I heard laughter burst out from behind me. I was extremely confused now, and slightly wary.

“Uh, what?”

“Knowing you, I thought you would be much cheesier than that,” she teased.

“Um… so is that a yes?” I hesitantly asked as I held my breath.

“Mmm,” she breathed as she kissed my cheek. I felt myself heating up in the face, the blood being millions of times more concentrated on that little area where her lips touched me.

“Haha, aw, you’re so red,” she laughed adorably as she poked my cheek. I pouted, embarrassed as I stood up, making her take her arms off me. I climbed over the back of the bench so I could stand in front of her. I then noticed she was shivering slightly.

“Oh, let me give you my coat,” I mumbled worriedly, quickly taking off my coat in one quick swish and draping it over her. Guess it did come in handy.

“How gentlemanly,” she smiled as she caressed my face, blushing slightly. I was grinning like an idiot as I slipped my left arm around her waist and my right around her neck, revelling at how soft she felt; my earlier tears were already forgotten. My heart started racing again as I leaned in slowly, getting closer and closer to her face. She slid both her arms around my neck and I felt her grasp my short hair as she pulled me to her.

Our lips met and I felt like there were fireworks going off in me. Was there ever a time when I was happier than this? I seriously don’t think so.

It was merely just a simple brushing of the lips, but I already felt full of euphoria and like I could just die right now.

“Don’t die now, I only just got you,” Krystal said, somehow managing to read my mind as she gave me an oh-so-cute pout.

I gave another idiotic grin as I pulled her in for another kiss.

“Oh, I’m not planning to leave you anytime soon, princess.”

The End.

 

A/N: HAHA omg, my first ever fanfic and oneshot written. I really hope you guys enjoyed it in some way, and feedback/criticsm would be appreciated since I could do with some improvement. There was no beta for this, so if you guys pick up anything, tell me! D:

It was intended to be somewhat cheesy and calm-ish, so please, don't flame me if you find it boring.