Caramel Coffee

Caramel Coffee

Special Treat

                Jung Yunho had a favorite coffee shop. As a matter of fact, he made it a point to go there everyday. To most of those who noticed him, the raven haired man seemed to have fallen in love with the café’s aromatic and flavorful coffee and sinfully indulgent desserts. Partly, they were right.

To those who knew better, Jung Yunho seemed to have fallen in love with a certain barista.

                They noticed how he seemed to order only from her, how he smiled and spoke so sweetly to her and how he frequently glanced at her when he thought no one – especially her – was looking. Indeed, the man was in love with Choi Sooyoung.

“Annyeong, Yunho-ssi.” Hyoyeon greeted the tall, handsome man as he entered the café at his usual time.

“Annyeong, Hyoyeon-ssi.” He greeted the cheerful waitress politely; a look of curiosity soon crossing his face when she nodded discreetly over to where Sooyoung stood behind the counter and winked.

                Yunho turned his head and saw that the slender brunette was red in the face; her expression giving away the impression that she was mentally debating over something. Worried that she may have problems, Yunho was before the counter in a few long strides, tapping the counter gently to get her attention; his heart skipping a beat or two when she smiled so beautifully at him.

“Annyeong, Soo.”

“Annyeong, o-oppa.” Sooyoung greeted him, still not quite used to the honorific he had asked her to use a few days ago.

“Are you okay?” He asked, concern evident in his tone. “You seem a little red. Do you have a fever?”

The short haired brunette shook her head, forcing herself to act normal in front of him. “Do you want the usual, oppa?”

Yunho smiled gently, resting her forearms on the counter. “Yes, please.”

                Much to his surprise, she already had one already made. Sooyoung smiled – almost shyly it seemed – as she handed him his caramel coffee. As soon as his eyes fell on his drink, he knew why she seemed so shy in an instant. It wasn't really hard to miss to begin with. On top of the swirls of whipped cream was a heart made from cinnamon powder.

                He looked up from his drink and to her face, seeing how profusely she was blushing as she looked at anything but him. He could feel his heart beat so rapidly as the realization finally kicked in. He wanted to kiss and hug her so badly.

So he leaned across the counter and did just that.

 

Remembrance

                Kyuhyun came to the café every day but not to drink coffee, eat, read the papers or work like what other people did. He simply came in, ordered caramel coffee, sat in a booth and stared off into space. Sometimes, it seemed like he was on the verge of tears. Sometimes, he smiled for no visible reason. The strangers who saw him felt pity for the lost man. He really didn’t need any of that.

“Kyuhyunnie…”

He looked up and he saw his three well meaning friends standing by the side of his table. A look of curiosity crossed his pale face. “How did you know?”

Sungmin frowned at the deteriorating drink on the table. “She loved that.”

“I know.”

A very sad sigh escaped Kangin’s lips. “Kyu, you need to stop this.”

He shook his head stubbornly. “She’s here.”

Kangin opened his mouth but Heechul silenced him with a look. It surprised him how the usually tackless Heenim didn’t say much. “Let him be.” He whispered.  Addressing the maknae, he continued. “Just get back safely.”

                Kyuhyun merely nodded once and the trio of concerned friends left in silence. His eyes fell back on the now watery caramel coffee. He allowed a stray tear to leak from his eyes as he imagined the girl who loved caramel coffee so much… up to the point that she brought him there to the same café at least once a week so that she could drink it.

“It’s been a year, four months and ten days since you left, Soo.” A shaky breath escaped his parted lips. “I bet the caramel coffee there in heaven isn’t as good as this one, huh?”

                Maybe he was just imagining things but he could swear that he heard a very familiar voice whispering to him. It sent chills up his spine but it nonetheless made him smile.

It was much better when I drank it with you.