I'm Sorry

Memories of Memories

T-ARA “Cry Cry (Ballad Version)”Dalmation “E.R”

*********

Tao’s POV~

“The number you are currently trying to reach is out of-“

Crap.

I shut my phone and shoved it back into my pocket, trying to look past the rain. Yet the rain’s coming in heavily and I could only manage to see about five yards beyond me before my vision is completely blocked off from the shower.

Eunjae where could you be?

I already checked the bus stop and the schedule showed that the last bus came about an hour ago. I peered into every store around our neighborhood but the majority of them were closed or empty, no sign of you anywhere.

I couldn’t help but hit a nearby tree with my fist in utter frustration. Why didn’t I go after you the minute you ran out the door? I knew you would do something stupid but I never figured you’d run away and be missing for so long.

I checked my phone and it was nearly midnight, far past the curfew Miss Kwon would let us be out on a school night.

My phone vibrated in my pocket and I had that shining ray of hope, whipping it out of my pocket in record time.

“Yobseyo?” I shouted above the thunder. My insides did a little flip, hoping it was Eunjae but was met with disappointment.

“Any luck Tao?” Miss Kwon asked on the other end of the line. I sighed in sorrow and replied no. She told me to come back inside and trust that Eunjae will come home but I wasn’t willing to give up so easily.

I tightened my grip on the umbrella just as realization hit me.

I checked nearly everywhere but there.

I promised Miss Kwon that I’d call her as soon as I found Eunjae and hung up, knowing she’ll protest at my defiance to her. I ran as fast as my legs could carry me, the puddles splashing as the cold water soaked through my already wet shoes and socks.

Dammit Eunjae you better be there.

I threatened myself, already being 99% sure she’d be at the lake. I remembered that the lake would probably flood higher now since the rain was coming down so hard, so I ran faster hoping to catch her before she left that place.

I made a giant leap over a stream and landed on the watery mud right behind a tree. And just my luck, I saw her.

She was sitting on a nearby rock on the edge of the lake, her knees to her chest and her head bowed down into her lap. Maybe it was because of the gloomy weather but I could already tell; she was devastated.

Eunjae’s POV~

Did you ever have your heart broken? Do you remember watching those movies about those teenage girls crying over some guy, and you thought “It’s just some guy, why would someone waste their tears on just one guy?”

Then you have truly never experienced an actual crush or love. When you first fall for someone, the deeper you fall the higher you’re setting your hopes up until…you come crashing down. And trust me; you have a long way down before the actual pain all comes in like a tsunami, not giving you any time for a pause or break.

It feels as if you just lost a part of you and your chest begins to hurt both physically and mentally. My heart felt like it was being suffocated and constricted as it hopelessly tried to squeeze out any last drop of emotion. My ribs were closing in and it was harder for me to breathe as I tried to take deep breathes in between sobs.

You try and forget about them, hoping to convince yourself that this was for the best. But only the happy memories flood and you realize that it’s all over; only torturing yourself even further.

I didn’t know where else to go and I was certainly in no condition to go back home. My phone died from the water that soaked through it and my feet ended up carrying me down to my only safe haven.

I crumbled on a rock and sat there for the longest time, simply crying and waiting for my tears to stop. But even after the rain continued to pour and I saw the water from the lake coming closer and closer, it didn’t help. My tears continued to blend in with the rain as my face grew hotter and hotter, the cold droplets of precipitation having no effect on me.

My back was so numb from the pelting water that it took me several minutes to realize that it stopped raining above me.

My tears stopped for a brief moment to allow me to see through my eyes as I lifted my head, my neck stiff from being in the same position for such a long time.

I looked past me and saw that the rain was still pouring, the lake’s tide at the edge of my toes.

I looked up and saw his strong hands holding the umbrella’s neck above me, shielding me from the rain.

Tao.

He looked at me with no emotion, a perfect poker face only he could pull off and I knew he didn’t know what to say to me. I couldn’t blame him; I wouldn’t even want to talk to me either. Yet here he was, protecting me like he has always done.

My body began to grow numb and tired, on the edge of collapsing.

“Tao.” I could only mouth with my lips but I must’ve said it out loud seeing as his gaze shifted to my eyes. He stared at me for what seemed like the longest time, waiting for me to say something audible.

So many things flooded through my mind at the time, so many things I could’ve told him.

I’m sorry for not believing you…

I’m sorry that I’m always such a bother…

I’m sorry that you’re always here for me and yet I continue to abandon you…

I’m sorry that I ran off on you countless times…

Yet none of those apologies managed to come out of my mouth. My eyes were growing extremely heavy to a point where they nearly shut. My body was drained of all its energy but the only three pathetic words I could mutter out were,

“I’m sorry Tao…”