Part 1

Jinsei no Michi

 

When he woke up that day he started to prepare for his work. He wasn’t thinking about things he was doing. He did it automatically. Get up, take a sip of bitter coffee, change into normal clothes… he stopped for a while and observed his suit he grabbed from the wardrobe. He sighed. He doesn’t need to wear so formal clothes. No one cares about him at his work. His work . His whole life . Well…if it has to be that way… He decided for older sweater and pair of old jeans. He glanced over the calendar. It’s Friday. What the hell is he going to do during the upcoming weekend? Maybe there will be some extra work that will need to be finished and he will be blessed by going to work on Saturday. But there’s still totally free Sunday… He sighed again, for the second time and definitely not for the last time today. Life can be bothersome sometimes. He’s thirty, he hasn’t any girlfriend… everything he has is a degree in political sciences. But the world doesn’t need people like him. His parents think he’s working at the university. Actually he do but not as a professor. He was never able to interpret his opinions properly. He was never good teacher and probably won’t be. He’s just normal office clerk with high degree. What a pitiful existence he is.

He looked at himself to the mirror. Bags under his eyes made him look older than he really is. Yesterday he discovered his first grey hair. Women started to be fed up with him a long time ago. He was always too smart for them. At least his friends told him so. Also he’s too much complicated man. Sometimes he doesn’t understand himself.

He looked at his watch. There’s plenty of time but still he decided to head to work. He won’t take a bus. He’s going to take a walk. A long walk…

 

  When she woke up that day she couldn’t recognise the room she was at. She was staring at the ceiling and then she remembered. She’s at home. She turned her head a little to see what time it is. Not too early but not too late. She tried to get up. Her head was spinning around and she felt like she’s going to throw up. She decided to sit on the bed for a while. She spotted a few pills on the night stand. Without thinking she swallowed them and finished the glass of water. There’s definitely something that needs to be done today. But what is it? What day is today? She managed to find her phone and looked on the date. It’s Friday. Finally the weekend she was waiting for is here. Two days of free time. No one will bother her and she will sleep all day long. She just has to survive this Friday.

She suddenly stood up. It’s enough. She mustn’t think about herself like that or she’ll go crazy for sure. She ignored her heavy legs and walked to the bathroom. Some white face was looking at her from the mirror. She tied her hair and washed her face. Nothing changed. She still looks tired and unhealthy. There’s no help. She will smile and behave like nothing happened and maybe she will find some excuse for her pale look. Well…who would ask her anyway? She started to feel that the pills she took are working. She felt a little better and maybe she can afford a little breakfast. Or better not…

It looks like her brain is finally working. During the dressing up she remembered two things that need to be done until the weekend. One of them is rehearsal with her friends. They’re preparing Woody Allen’s play. It’s pretty difficult but at least it makes them think about it seriously. In any case it’s black comedy. She can’t force them to play something serious. These people are too sensitive.

She grabbed her script. She knew everything about the play and she would be able to recite the script from any part, forward or backwards. It’s time to go. First she needs to go to finish one of her life decisions…

 

“Seiji!”

He almost fell from his chair when he heard his name.

“Could you please go to the main office? I need to take a break.” a young woman went to make herself a coffee.

Seiji looked at his watch. It was just 10am and she was already tired? “Why?” he dared to ask.

“Why?! It’s start of new semester and there are crowds of students who want something from our office!” his colleague looked almost disgusted by his ignorance.

“Okay…I’ll go…” he stood up, took a few deep breaths and entered student department office.

He spent another few hours by printing some new catalogues for students and handing out new student’s IDs. When one bunch of papers was finished, he moved to another one. The first page’s  headline said “Withdrawal from university”. What the hell? Another brat that wants to act cool. He gnashed his teeth and turned to the sound of knocking.

“Come in!” he tried to smile.

“Good morning. My name is Ishida Rin. I’m here for signing the withdrawal from my studies.” Very slim girl with blonde hair came in.

Seiji looked down on the paper in his hands. “It’s…yours?” he was actually surprised and didn’t know why.

“Yes.” She responded without hesitation.

“Oh…I see. Please take your seat. Can I have your student’s ID?”

She handed him a little blue card.

“Sign here, please…” he passed her the paper and pen while observing her ID. Ishida Rin, first year student of political sciences. He glanced at her and nice handwriting while she was filling the form.

“Are you sure?” he suddenly asked her.

“I’m sorry?” she raised her head and he felt like her brown eyes just pierced his mind.

“Nothing…I was just thinking aloud. Are you finished?”

“Yes, I am. Thank you.” She stood up.

“Then we’ll send you an e-mail as soon as all the formalities will be done.” He assured her.

“Thank you.” She repeated with a smile.

“Well…what a shame to loose another student…” he offered her a hand.

She shook his hand with a shy smile. She has better things to do, he thought. She’s not the type who drops off just for nothing.

 

As soon as Rin left the building the smile from her face vanished. She looked at the student ID card in her hand. It’s over…

She started to walk through the crowd, heading to one small restaurant. It was the place she’s rehearsing with her actors nowadays. When she was looking for some part time job she came to this place. It was newly opened. Small bar with two locals but one of them was made as a culture room. There was a small stage and rows of seats. She made a deal with the owner that she’ll be organizing events here. He was actually happy about it. That man was happy about everything. Sato Takashi was his name and Rin couldn’t remember a day when he wouldn’t say: “Something great happened today!” What a strange guy…

“Good morning little director!” someone opened the door in front of her.

“Ah…good morning Sato…You surprised me,” she laughed.

“Why are you standing here? Everyone’s waiting for you. Hurry up!” he pushed her in.

She sighed a little and put on her smile. Today’s acting lesson starts right now. No place for her true self.

 

 

 

 

 

 

There's nothing much to say about the first chapter. It's still just prologue. Anyway feel free to comment. I'm looking forward to your opinions. =)