Chapter 3

Sacrificium~The Sacrifice~

Chapter 3

Light of the full moon showered upon them. The dim light was enough for Yunho to have a clear look at the person in his arm. His heart instantly crushed by a cruel resemblance of his deceased love in his arm.

Yunho brought his bloody hand into his sight; fear starts to invade his heart. Like a broken tape, images of his dead lover rewinding in his mind drowning him in his own darkness. His sanity shattered, eyes slit and glow with dangerous red.

“Arrrggghhh!!!!” Yunho screamed, his murderous intent sliced through the air making all creatures trembled in their hiding. His grip tightens on the person’s shoulder, subconsciously burying his long nails into the other’s flesh. Feeling the fading warmness through his palm reminds him of his loss. His sanity slowly swallowed by his own darkness.  

Coming from nowhere, a heavy punch landed on his left cheek, slightly throwing him back. “Get a grip on yourself! Hyung!” the familiar voice of his dongsaeng’s echoed into his ears. His eyes dilate as he regained his sanity once again.

Changmin not wasting his time hurried to the injured side. He examines the person’s condition. Not to mention the injury caused by Yunho, the person himself already badly injured. Now, the spreading poison has gradually weakened the person’s body.

“He’s poisoned. We are losing him.” Changmin took out a strange looking pouch and digs for certain remedy. “Found it!” he cheered to himself. Taking the odd-looking brilliant green potion, he poured some of the gooey mixtures onto Jaejoong’s wound.

“Will he be okay?” Yunho concerned looked strangely weak in Changmin’s eyes. Changmin shrugs “Not sure…” he expresses his uncertainties. “The remedy works for external injuries, but for the poison that already invades his system. We might need to make another if it’s not going out of him anytime soon.” Changmin answered with anxiety in his tone.

Unwilling to wait, Yunho gripped his palm, cutting himself using his nail. He a mouthful amount of his blood and transferred it to Jaejoong mouth to mouth. Changmin’s mouth left gaped as he watching his hyung’s drastic action.

The royalties are well known for their hypercell regeneration ability. They recover tenth times faster than normal demon does, which made possible by a special function possessed by their blood. It makes the royalty’s blood the most effective cure for any physical and internal injuries.

Consuming a Royal Blood is a taboo. The blood not only possesses magical healing ability but also comes with great power that may cause a catastrophe if in wrong hands. However, sharing it with a mere mortal is something that never been done. Changmin fear for the consequences nonetheless he believes that Yunho knows what he is doing. He watches them silently.    

“Hyung, we need to leave this place, I’m afraid there will be more of them coming because of the smell of blood.” He softly tells Yunho. Eyes wildly scan their surroundings. The air is thickening with demonic presence attracted to the blood scents. 

“Emm…” Yunho answered affirmatively, carefully scooping Jaejoong into his arm.

~~

His body was pulled deep down in drowsiness. Although knowing it’s dangerous but he couldn’t fight his heavy eyelids. He let the waves of sleepiness brought him away from consciousness. “Where am I?” his voice echoed in the dark void. He feels his limbs weight like tons. He moves his hands but it didn’t move.

“Move! Please move!” he begged in his mind, disliking the situation he is in. All of the sudden a totally different sensation filled his senses. He feels like lying on a bed of soft grass followed by scents of fresh flowers. He could feel the comforting cold of the earth under his fingertips, warming sun and chilling winds blowing against his skin. Carefully, he opens his eyes, gaze meeting with a strangely familiar blue sky.

The darkness that he felt was dismissed. His gaze fell onto his hand, slightly moving it to make sure the uncomfortable feeling has gone. Feeling relieved, he focuses back to his surroundings.

“Where is this place?” Jaejoong scans. The sea of greens, large trees, fresh air and sound of birds happily chirping during mid-summer day, he walks through the forest with curious gazes thrown around taking in the view. The strange familiarity to the place is making him occupied upcoming with different theories in mind.

It wasn’t until someone putting a halt to his thoughts. Out of the blue, a girl came into his sight walking through his body, a girl that is strangely a complete copy of him except the uality. “What the…!” said Jaejoong in slightly irked tone yet astonished. His gazes land on his own body while hands subconsciously onto his chest. “She walked through me!” He bemused, feeling uncomfortable as he recalls what the girl just did.

Jaejoong observes her retreating figure. Feeling curious and quite intrigued especially by their similar appearance, he followed the girl. His eyes glued on her while following silently although he was sure she couldn’t see him because she just walked through him a few moments ago.

She skips happily while humming a strange tune, leading him to the riverside where a meadow of wildflowers is. Fascinated by the view, his lips gaped while scanning his surroundings once again until his attention captured by a certain figure standing by the river.

Jaejoong narrowed his eyes, sensing strange familiarity from the standing figure. The girl that he saw moments ago ran happily towards the man. She jumped into his embrace while the man captured her as if he expected that would come.

“I missed you, *****” she said to the man. The man smiles, he opens his mouth to answer the girl but there’s nothing for Jaejoong to hear. The man’s lips move but no sounds came out it as if he is watching a silent movie. The girl giggles after hearing the man’s answer, which is very clear to Jaejoong’s ear.

With mixed feelings of bizarre and curiosity, Jaejoong took few steps closer to the pair when a voice stops him.

“You couldn’t go closer…at least for now”

He holds his step and turned around to meet the very same girl. He lost his words and gazed back and forth between the girl with the man and the girl standing next to him now.

“Yes, that’s me too if you are asking…” she answered without the need of knowing the question, Jaejoong’s gaze has told her everything.

“…and you…if you are curious” She continued.

“You…and me?” Jaejoong managed to mutter out in his confusion.

“Yes…you and me…” the girl pointed to Jaejoong then to herself. “We are the same person but we are different, I don’t think I have to explain that…” she gives an elevator look to Jaejoong. Jaejoong gave a look at his own body then to the girl. Obviously, he mentally scowled.

“You mean? I can’t go closer?” He proceeds with their topic. The girl then turned around with a more solemn looking expression. Her eyes were filled with a glassy look that Jaejoong hardly could interpret.

“Because you don’t have the memories of what’s happening next…” she answered. Jaejoong frowned, wondering.

“When I told you that we are the same person, I mean it literally. We share the same soul but not the same time. I’m your past, she’s mine…and we both are yours.” She pointed to the girl that happily laid her head on her lover’s shoulder, enjoying the evening sun and the summer’s breeze.

Jaejoong listens to her intently. “Okay...” he nods, trying to get into the situation. “So meaning to say, I am your reincarnation and that girl was you, that man over there is technically our lover or my previous lover.” He said pointedly at the two figures by the river.

“Is there something that you haven’t told me? Because I don’t think that I’m here just to know that I was a girl and I had a lover.” He is feeling slightly light-headed. “This isn’t just a dream am I right?” His eyes meet the girl pleadingly. “I’m sorry.” She lowered her gaze on her hand.

“Okay...” Jaejoong muttered. He bit his thumbs anxiously. “Jaejoong please listen to me, there’s a lot of things that I need to tell you. I can’t do it now because you are about to wake up. I’m here to warn you. There’s something coming, something bad. I don’t know what she will do this time. Be careful. Don’t let your guard down. She hasn’t found you but she will eventually.” She cupped his face in her hand.  

“And please take care of him for me, okay? Tell him that I am sorry. There was probably other best route that I couldn’t see during that moment of desperation but I never regretted my choice. It was leaving him that I was most regretted. Tell him that for me will you?” She pleads. She connects her forehead with Jaejoong’s.

“Jae...” Jaejoong murmured her name. She nods affirmatively. “My name...” said Jae.

Jaejoong look ahead of her, looking at a blurred face man embracing Jae in his arm, murmuring loving words into her ear. “Where will I find him?” His gaze met Jae’s.

She smiled, closing their gap and whispered into his ear. “You will, sooner than you’ve expected.” Her voice fades away, melting by his consciousness.   

~~

A pair of huge doe eyes opens wide staring at the foreign-looking ceiling. He moves his hand feeling the smooth of cotton against his skin. It’s warm. He feels his heart thumping against his chest, circulating blood in his body. Jaejoong touches his left chest, taking a deep breath, feeling relieved for staying alive.

He recalled last night event. The last thing he remembers is the splash of green in front his eyes. Next was nothing but a blur and strange dream. His senses back to his surroundings. Looking at the extravagantly decorated room, his eyes feasted the city’s beautiful night view. Jaejoong tried to look at his injured limb but his body was heavy against the bed, guessing that he is too weak to move his body.

Having no other choice but stuck in the bed, he relaxes as sleepiness starts taking over his system again, completely missing the sound of someone entering the chamber.

A tall stood by his bed, staring at the sleeping person with a longing gaze. His hand reaches out for the sleeping man but suddenly stopped. He pulled back, gripping his chest tightly Guiltiness is thick in his skin, feeling that he is no longer has the right to touch that pure soul, no longer since he failed to protect her and watching her death helplessly.

He pulled the blanket up to Jaejoong’s chest with care. He then retreats from the room, leaving the person with the soul of his love alone.

 

Splatters of colours, mixed with blue, white, orange and red start to appear on the horizon, Jaejoong slowly opens his eyes, feeling more energetic despite nearly dead last night. His eyes fixed on the view, taking it in. Whoever that saved him seemed purposely leaving the glass window open wide. The owner probably loves the view as much as Jaejoong did. Jaejoong yawned and stretched himself like a kitten completely unaware of a pair of observing eye. He sensed something watching him and turned to opposite side of the bed, finding himself meeting a young man’s observing gaze.

“H-hi?” Jaejoong greets awkwardly, pulling himself up in the process. The young man instead of answering the greeting, he ran out of the room and followed with slightly high tone calling for another company. “Hyung! Hyung! He is awake…” Changmin pulled the slightly reluctant looking man into the room. He pushed the other’s back, nearly make him stumbled onto the bed where Jaejoong was laying.

“Hey! Careful, you might kill someone.” Yunho scowled at Changmin.

“Sorry…” Changmin apologized.

Their attention then back on the slightly surprised looking Jaejoong. “Thank you for saving me.” He thanked his two saviours. “It’s our pleasure. We can’t just let you bleed there, right hyung?” the younger man nudged at the older one but the man stayed silence, evading any eye contact with him much to Jaejoong’s disappointment. The younger man’s lips turn grim but he turned to his cheerful self when meeting Jaejoong eyes.

“Hi, I’m Changmin and this guy over here is Yunho. I’m sorry, the cat just his tongue minutes ago. I mean it literally.” He whispered at the end of sentence earning a glare from the older man. “What!? I thought that was the case since you’re so reluctant to make your own intro.” Changmin scowled. Yunho stays silenced but the frown marring his face showing his discontent of the other.

It’s weird. Yunho seems to dislike him too much for their first meeting.

“I’m Jaejoong, Kim Jaejoong.” Jaejoong introduces himself, eyes occasionally looking at Yunho.

“How did you found me?” Jaejoong starts feeling curious about last night event. He hoping that they didn’t see what he did. There was a brief uncomfortable exchange of look between Changmin and Yunho before Changmin decided to explain.

“Yunho hyung said he heard something behind the containers area so he went and found you unconscious and bleeding. We brought you back to our apartment since we didn’t know where you lived and we drove your car back here, just in case you are wondering.” Changmin explained. “So how are you feeling? Better?” asked Changmin out of concern.

“Y-yeah, feeling great. Thanks for the car too.” Jaejoong smiled, dismissing his suspicions. His injury, it was a green child bite. Nothing that can be cured overnight by someone out of the field, could they be someone more than what they seemed. Jaejoong curious, they seemed didn’t mean any harm. So he feels it’s better for him to drop the matter. It is safer that way. It always has been.

“Can I have my jacket? I need to make one phone call to my family. They must’ve been worried.” Jaejoong asked politely.

“I think your phone didn’t make it.” Changmin winced as he took out pieces of something that Jaejoong think was his phone. It was completely ruined. He must’ve crushed it when he was running from the demon.

He sighed at the sight of his obviously wrecked phone. There goes his two months wage as a tutor, ruined in a single night. “Can I borrow your phone?” Jaejoong’s eyes on Changmin.

“Sure, why not!? Uh, it’s in the living.” Changmin gestured and turn around, walking out of the room.

“O-okay...” Jaejoong took a deep breath. He definitely feels alright but he is not sure if it includes his leg. Ignoring the intimidating tall man who seemed choose to keep his silence, Jaejoong stood from the bed, walking a few steps before he stumbled.

He was about to pull himself up when a pair of stronger arm find it’s way around his torso and under his knee, lifting him up as if he weight like nothing.

“You just don’t ask for help do you?” A low baritone echoed into his ear, sending shivers along Jaejoong’s spine. The man’s handsome features making his cheek flushed.

“Well since you have been ignoring me so I thought you won’t be any help.” Jaejoong shoot. Oh, Jaejoong you did it again, regret at his own words.

“Sorry” the man muttered his apology.

“My apology too...” Jaejoong muttered in embarrassment. It seems the man has been waiting for him to ask the help if he needed.

“Hand over my shoulder,” Yunho said suddenly.

“Huh!?” Jaejoong threw a puzzled look at him.

“Your hand, over my shoulder. It will be easier to carry you.” Said Yunho.

“Oh, okay.” Jaejoong hesitantly wrapped his hand over, closing their body proximity. Jaejoong hid his blush the best way he can. Jaejoong was hoping Yunho missed his vigorously beating heart.

Yunho put him at on a sofa near the stand where the telephone was. Jaejoong picks the receiver and dialled a number that he by heart. He waited for them to answer the call.

“Yeoboseyo?” a high-pitched voice answer the phone.

“Junsu-ah.” Jaejoong called his brother.

“Jaejoong!? Yah where have you been? We were worried sick.” Jaejoong heard Junsu’s anxious voice through the receiver. He could hear Kyuhyun and Heechul fussing over him at the background.

“Something happened I will explain to you all later. I am safe now and will be back home later at noon, hopefully.” Said Jaejoong, feeling relieved after listening to his brothers' voice. He was so scared last night. His eyes filled with uncontrollable tears of relief and joy.

“Suie, can you pass the phone to Heechul hyung?” Said Jaejoong, ignoring Junsu’s never-ending question. 

“Okay...” said Junsu dejectedly. Jaejoong smiled, imagining Junsu’s gloomy pout for being ignored. 

“Hey...” a soothing voice echoed into the receiver, tugging Jaejoong’s tears to break loose.

“H-hyung...I-I...” Jaejoong only manages to speak few audible words through his sobs.

“Hey shh...” Heechul shushed him gently. “Now listen, I need you to get your cute little back home safely, okay? Don’t cry over the phone cause I can’t make whatever you just said.  I called your university. I told them you got flu after running around the park last night.” Heechul said mischievously.

“Yah...” Jaejoong made a small protest although knowing that he just joking. Heechul laughed through the receiver “Hahaha, I’m just kidding only at the last part. I’m serious Jaejoong. Promise me, be home safely.” A faint sob escaped from Heechul’s voice doesn’t go unnoticed by Jaejoong. It’s making him feels horrible.

“I will,” Jaejoong muttered before disconnecting their call. Jaejoong wiped the tears from his cheek but his eyes refuse to stop crying. He continuously wiping until someone handing a box of tissue to him.

“Wipe with these...” said Yunho. Jaejoong pauses a look at him before looking at the box of tissue in his hand.

“Thank you,” Jaejoong said as his hand taking the box. Yunho moved to his side, taking the empty seat next to him on the sofa. Gently, Yunho takes Jaejoong’s arm and pulled him into his embrace, surprising Jaejoong. “Cry until you feel better...” Yunho murmured at his temple.

Just for now...Jaejoong thought and let himself engulfed in the protective arm.

 

  

“Thank you for the food…You don’t really have to actually.” Yunho muttered to him in very low voice.

“It’s okay, it’s just a little help compared to what you did to help me.” Jaejoong’s surprise turns into a smile. His gaze then focused on the red car following from behind. Changmin was driving his car while Jaejoong sat in Yunho’s.

Yunho smiled briefly zapping Jaejoong with his dazzling smile. I wished he would smile more often. Jaejoong thought. It’s a pity that Yunho kept his expressionless face all the time despite his handsome figure. Jaejoong never knew that the trip back home will be this far. Occasionally, he stole few glances at the handsome man on his left.

Yunho stopped at the light, stealing a look at his right finding Jaejoong asleep. Nothing…nothing could describe how he feels right now. This man possessed a resemblance to his long-dead lover- a cruel resemblance that makes his heart bleeds. This man soul belonged to Jae, Yunho always recognizes the softly glowing yet full of energy soul. It always gives him comfort, gazing into Jae’s soul. It’s like a spring morning breeze.

Yunho feels delighted yet at the same time, he feels dreadful and sad. Why must they meet again? Jaejoong would be safer without Yunho by his side. Yunho didn’t want Jaejoong hurt like Jae did. He wants to protect the other even though it means letting go.

The car pulled over in front of a semi-wooden 3 storey house. The place is quite secluded for living but Yunho could tell the reason why they picked that place. The porch filled with pots of herbs and flowers and some of them are quite famous for its poison. 

Yunho turns to the sleeping figure. Studying the other feature carefully embedding it into his heart and mind as it is his last chance to see his lover. He feels relieved that Jaejoong didn’t have any of his previous life memory. It will be too painful to let go if he did.

He gently caresses the other cheek and stole a kiss from Jaejoong plump lips. “Goodbye, my Love…please be safe…this will be the last time we cross each other path again.”

“We are here…” he pushed Jaejoong’s shoulder gently waking the other up. Jaejoong opened his eyes and meet with the familiar view of his house lawn.

“Oh! Sorry, I’m asleep.” He wipes his face in case he drooled.

“T-thank you…and see you again…if we have the chance,” said Jaejoong hopefully.

Yunho silenced. “Can you manage by yourself?” Yunho refers to Jaejoong’s not yet completely healed leg. Uncertainly, Jaejoong lowered his gaze to his leg. “I don’t know…but giving a shot wouldn’t harm right?” he beamed.

Yunho readied himself by the passenger door as Jaejoong tries to stand on his feet. Jaejoong worries faded when he felt his leg is supporting his body. He nods to Yunho and beamed a smile at the man. “I’ll manage.” He told the man while walking slowly to his house. He then turns to give a last look at the leaving man. The car drove away and disappeared from Jaejoong’s gaze.

Slowly, he touches his lips as he recalls the moment Yunho lips touch his and Yunho’s last word to him. Could it be Yunho is the one that girl told him? Is that why he felt the man was so familiar? His heart thumps painfully as if a large piece of it was ripped out of his body.

Jaejoong pushed the front door open. He was greeted by his brothers’ obviously relieved expression. They fussed over his injury and what happened last night. Junsu kept apologizing because if he didn’t ask Jaejoong to stop by the Mart before home last night, the accident wouldn’t happen.  

Jaejoong crushed his tired body on the soft baby blue bed. Jaejoong tiredly placed his hand on the forehead while staring at the white ceiling. He then curled his body like a porcupine as mind exhaustedly wandering to certain someone.

Gently he touches his lips. “That was my first kiss…” Jaejoong pouts.

 

***************

He drove away from the house with a reluctant heart, eyes occasionally gazing at the disappearing house from the back view mirror. He persuades himself that this is the best way...to protect him. The lingering softness of the other lips on his made him crave for more.

Kim Jaejoong...

There was something special about the boy. Changmin couldn’t grasp on anything until Yunho laid a kiss on top of the other plump lips saying farewell to a boy that they just met yesterday. The tenderness and longing in Yunho eyes have confirmed Changmin that there was something untold between the two. However Jaejoong seems clueless, it was his Yunho hyung that reacted the strangest.

Changmin obviously didn’t need an extra clue if it’s about something or someone that can influence his hyung that much.  

Could Jaejoong be...?

 

**********

To Be Continued

 

Un-betaed but please do enjoy and excuse me for my rusty languages