A Little Distance

A Little Distance

He placed his hands around her plump waist as she kept her concentration on her studies. Their nights always seemed to flow this way, Debbie focused solely on her books and assignments rather than her very serene and beautiful lover that had more than enough patience to stand her. She ignored the feeling of his arms around her, the feelings that swirled in her chest and almost made it hard to breathe. Debbie felt every one of his movements as his need for skinship that only took place when they were alone began to rise. His chin slowly graced against her exposed shoulder his large shirt conveniently forgot to cover. It was becoming much harder to remember the formulas and calculations her brain had been working on the entire time.

“Suho, Jagi, please.” Suho ignored her hushed words as was custom, and pulled her closer to his chest and farther from her notebook and Biotech Chemistry textbook. Debbie sighed, but made no move to leave the warmth surrounding her in its safe embrace. Whenever she was with Suho, there was just this feeling of want and attachment that she couldn’t get rid of. It’s not that she didn’t like Suho, in fact, she liked him too much. It would be a painful future the day they were forced to part and Debbie knew that day would be arriving in no time. Therefore, her logic told her to hold on as loosely as possible so their parting would be much easier to handle.

“You ignore me for 3 days and when I finally have time off to come and see you, you ignore me. Tell me what’s wrong and I promise I won’t touch you anymore just like you wish.” The irritation in Suho’s voice was effortless and harsh. Making him angry had not been her intention, but honestly, anger was much easier to face then sadness and sincerity. Debbie dropped her ballpoint pen and looked at her crossed legs. She noticed the way Suho held her, the way his hands overlapped her not too big, but not too stomach. She could feel his chest pressed against her back and feel the beat of his heart. It made her angry yet weak at being able to notice everything about Suho, every little inch he shifted was like an earthquake shaking her sense. It was like Debbie had to adapt to everything he did.

“How’s your training going?” Changing the subject is a sure way to draw attention from one’s self and one’s problems. Debbie was used to using that tip frequently, but no matter how many time she tried to avoid a topic, Suho just knew. And that didn’t change now either, she could tell. His grip on her turned from soft to tight in a matter of milliseconds and he heaved a quiet breath in her ear.

“Just tell me, I’m begging you. Did I do something wrong? I promise I’ll fix it. I’ll do whatever I need to-“

“It’s not you.”

“Then what’s the problem. You’ve barely looked at me.” When I look at you, all I can see is how much you care. It makes things more complicated then they need to be. There was nothing more she could try to do to avoid how much she didn’t want to talk about her problem and the both of them were very aware of Suho’s tendency to hold on until necessary.

“I just . . . it’s nothing.” Suho laid his head against hers; sneakily taking in her scent and the way she fit just so perfectly. He hated it when she tried to block him out.

“Whatever it is, I’ll make it better.”

“I’m trying . . . so hard not to get so attached to you. When I know in less than a month . . . you’ll be gone. It’s better to let us just drift apart then for me to cry and beg you to stay for me when I know you can’t. When I think of how much love you’ll be receiving from your fans, the feelings I have for you just don’t compare. And even if we did stay in whatever you want to call this, if someone found out, if anyone heard, you would probably be dubbed traitor and your fans would want to deport me to restore your honor or something idiotic like that. And I’ve just said this elaborate, cheesy monologue and now I want cake.” Suho smiled at his odd girlfriend’s speech and the ending had to e the best part. He found her feelings to be just so childish when she was taking one of the most difficult classes offered at Seoul University.

“What’s wrong with loving me, which you so obviously do? We both entered this relationship well aware of the risks we were both taking, and I refuse to let you back out because of something as nonessential as distance. You of all people should know that love is not a thing or a person, and it isn’t attached to one race. My love for you will stay with you when I’m gone. It’ll keep you warm on those nights where covers aren’t enough, and it’ll make you laugh when you’re having a day that just isn’t so sunny. You’re the only person that can take this love because you’re the only person I will ever give it to. Arraso?”

“But what if-“

“I refuse to answer one of your hypothetical what if questions. I thought my answer was pretty good.”

“But-“

“No buts.” Suho twirled Debbie in his arms, and stared into her brown orbs. She looked away quickly, pouting and crossing her arms.

“Ahh, arraso. No hypothetical what if questions. Suho Oppa?” Suho’s ears perked at his favorite word leaving her lips. She only gave him the title of Oppa when she was seriously nervous.

“Neh?”

“What would you say if I really did cry and beg you to stay?” Suho grabbed Debbie in his arms and moved from side to side. It would only be a few moments before she would truly cry.

“I know my baby very well; she’s this strong girl I met one day at Incheon Airport when she could barely understand a map of South Korea. It was her first day from America and I was lucky enough to be her guide. Over time I began to notice little things that made me fall in love with her. Like how she’s serious almost all the time and she acts tough but she really just wants someone to be there and hold her when she feels lonely. I managed to get close enough to her heart and steal it away before anyone else came to see just how beautiful she really is. My baby can handle anything thrown at her and she never backs down from a challenge. She may not want to see me go, but I know we can beat a little distance.”

“You didn’t answer the question.” Debbie refused to reveal her feelings through her face, but on the inside she was melting into a concentrated puddle of love and affections.

“If you really wanted me to stay, I would. But you know that you would feel guilty for keeping me back.”

“Curse you for knowing me so well.”

“Ani, curse you for letting me know.”

“Yah!” The textbook open to a page referring to catalyst chemicals, the notebook open to neatly placed notes in columns, and the ballpoint pen were all ignored as the couple commenced to wrestle. Debbie’s need to be unattached to Suho collapsed just as Suho decided he needed much more skinship to even remotely satisfy him.

“Suho?” Debbie’s breathless voice reached his ears.

“Hm?”

“I love you. I just wanted to let you know since I don’t remember directly saying it to you.”

“You didn’t have to say it, though it is nice to hear. I knew you loved me since that day at the airport. You looked like a lost little puppy that needed an owner.”

“I am NOT a possession!”

“Maybe not to someone else. But to me, your mine.”

 

 

 

I just wanted to write a cute little story, but I’m not so sure this fits the criteria. But I am a die-hard EXO fan already.