First day at University

I'm straight, I think....

Chap Three

 

It was finally here, the first day of school at the University of SMI.

 

And Sehun was wandering around the huge campus grounds; with his nerves already prickling him even before the start of class. Everyone was a stranger, totally unfamiliar and intimidating, like any other new environment; but one thing struck Sehun while walking towards his lecture room. Almost every single person he passed by had at least a friend with them, either having conversation or sharing laughter and it somehow affected Sehun, making him like feel a sad lonesome person.

 

His best friend wasn’t beside him.

 

Jongin had left about ten minutes earlier, throwing Sehun a playful smirk and a haughty “don’t come crying to me if you get lost” before leaving towards the opposite direction, they were in different academic courses after all.

 

“I won’t get lost, stupid.” Sehun rolled his eyes in response, brushing off the lightly chuckling elder male with a wave of his hand. “Oh, and Jongin wait, I’ll see you during break later at cafeteria four okay?” He managed to ask the other before he could disappear out of sight. “Yeah okay, I’ll text you when I reach there,” answered a good-natured response from Jongin.

 

Sehun sighed softly, looking up from the campus map he was holding.

 

And there it was, the campus drama and arts block, where his first lesson was going to be held. Sehun took a deep breath, readying himself while taking in the sight of the building. It had a sleek look, with an intricately and beautifully designed steel-glass façade, which reflected the light morning rays of sunshine; fitting for a place to teach the arts.

 

Well... here goes nothing, I hope the people are nice.

Sehun thought to himself before walking towards his lecture room.

 

--

 

Eh, this isn’t so different from high school or college, Sehun noted when he first stepped into the lecture room. It was pretty much the same, only being an upgraded version with better facilities and equipment. There was the standard whiteboard, projector screen and teacher’s desk at the front of the room; along with tiered lecture seating with foldable writing tablets.  

 

Speaking of seating, the drama student realised with mortification that awkward first day encounters were definitely happening. Most of the seats from the middle rows to the back already taken, leaving Sehun with the front two rows and in clear sight of the lecturer; which also means no goofing off. Not to mention, the fellow students were quite intimidating to look at, to be honest. Sehun was dressed casually, going for a striped t-shirt, grey denim skinny jeans and gladiator sandals while practically everyone else looked smart and professional, ready to make an impression on the lecturer.

 

Talk about having competitive students dressing for the occasion, where are the friendly looking people? Sehun scanned the lecture room, looking for a comfortable enough place to seat while avoiding eye contact with the still unfamiliar classmates. Then, Sehun noticed an available seat next to a male student, sitting at the rather empty front row and scribbling on a notebook. That guy was also dressed quite casually, in a woollen sweater, slim fit jeans and a pair of loafers; he had a head of dyed ash-blonde hair, and delicate pretty facial features that was contrasted by his masculine jawline. Deciding that he looked approachable enough, Sehun gathered up his courage to move towards him.

 

Might as well make some new friends, Jongin would laugh at him if he heard that Sehun was too scared.

“Hi, may I sit next to you, or is this seat taken?” Sehun asked with a short nervous pause, standing by the other male.

“Oh hi, and yes you can, nobody is sitting here.” The blonde replied, looking up with a kind grin.

 

With a mental sigh of thankfulness, Sehun took to the seat, settling down shortly after placing his bag under the chair. Sitting next to and closer to the fellow student, Sehun noticed that the other male had really good skin, without a single blemish or flaw except for a small scar on his lower lip. Hmms… I wonder if he got that in a fight or accident. “Uh… My name is Oh Sehun, what’s yours?”

 

“Oh Sehun? Isn’t that the name of our mayor?” The blonde questioned, eyes brightening up with a playful twinkle.

“Yeah… ,” Sehun sighed tiredly, leaning his head on a hand. “I get that a lot-”

“Ah, I’m sorry if I offended you-”

 

“It’s okay, but you could tell me your name.” Sehun interrupted with a smile.

“Luhan, it’s just Luhan.” The blonde answered, chuckling at the quizzical expression on Sehun.

“That’s doesn’t sound a Korean name… you are Chinese right?”

“Yes, and I’m from Beijing if you are curious.”

 

Sehun nodded at the piece of information, before glancing at the clock mounted above the white board. It was already ten minutes into lecture period and the lecturer was not even here yet, what was she or he up to? Sehun started to tap his fingertips idly onto the armrest on his seat, as he noticed that Luhan had gone back to writing on his notebook; causing a silence to befall on the both of them. Seconds and minutes ticked by, accompanied by the sound of Luhan’s pen making contact with paper.

 

Well this is getting awkward, Sehun groaned inwardly, the lack of words being said getting to him. Socialising well was never one of his skills. “Hey Luhan, our lecturer must not be very good if he or she is late, we’ll probably fail the class,” Sehun joked lightly in attempt to break the silence, catching the other male’s attention as he stopped writing at the mention of their lecturer.

 

“Well I’m sure the lecturer won’t let the class fail,” Luhan began with an amused drawl, while reading over the text he had previously written. “A university would never hire unqualified people Sehun, and perhaps the lecturer is just waiting for everyone to get to class, seeing that it was the first day and students might be lost?”

 

“And why are you so sure about that?” Sehun asked curiously, noting the confidence in the blonde’s tone.       

“Because,” Luhan starting laughing – his eyes turning into thin crescents with smile wrinkles. “I’m the lecturer.”

 

“You have got to be kidding me.”  Sehun’s eyes expanded instantly in surprise, unable to hide the apparent disbelief on his face. Luhan looked nothing like a lecturer, he couldn’t be a lecturer, how could someone who looked like he was his late teens or early twenties be a lecturer?! The blonde just looked too young! “Luhan, stop joking round please. The lecturer is probably a pudgy middle-aged man with a balding head of hair or a prim and proper lady with impeccable attire and noisy high heels.”

 

“I’m sorry that I’m not an old man with thinning hair, but I am the lecturer and lessons are starting now.”

Sehun could only blush in furious embarrassment as a still chuckling Luhan went in front to address everyone.

“Good morning students, my name is Mr Lu but you can call me Luhan, and I shall be your lecturer this year.”

 

Afternoon, during lunch break.

 

“Oh my god, I am crying. How in the world does that happen to anyone?”

Jongin asked, while using a finger to wipe at the tears that had appeared from laughing too hard. 

“I don’t know, it just did!” Grumbled Sehun, who had just finished telling his best friend about his morning.

 

“You are such an embarrassment, Oh Sehun! I know that you aren’t really good at socialising but you mistook your lecturer as a student? And you even insulted him? How Sehun, how?” Jongin continued to ask in between breathless chuckles; it was just really too funny for the business management student. “Excuse you, idiot Jongin!” Sehun argued back, swatting the other male on the shoulder. “If you were in my place, you would mistake him as a student too! Luhan has a baby face and ash blonde hair for ing sake, would you believe that he is a lecturer at twenty six?”

 

“Well I would not because I am not dumb like … wait, Luhan?” The elder male began with a raised eyebrow. “Yeah what, his name is Luhan, so?” Sehun deadpanned, staring directly into Jongin’s eyes, and about to flip his food if one more insult came out of his mouth. “My oh my Sehun, calling your lecturer by his name, how intimate are you two? The first day and you are friends with Luhan already?” A devilish smirk made its way onto Jongin’s face, as the said male leaned closer to whisper into Sehun’s ear.

 

“Did you offer to blow Luhan or did he blow yo-”

“Kim Jongin, I am going to stab you in your sleep tonight!”

 

Later, last period.

 

The class laughed loudly as a group of students were made to complete a forfeit; hugging each other as they were tasked to do silly things that were almost impossible to complete. It was the first day of university, but there were no lessons – everyone was still behaving like immature high school students, completely enjoying the orientation activities that Luhan had planned out earlier in the morning.

 

And Sehun was beginning to like the lecturer and his classmates more, as he started to know each of them better with the ice-breaking activities. Gone was the awkward silence that had being plaguing the lecture room and Luhan was proving to be knowledgeable despite his young age and a friendly lecturer that every student liked.

 

“Okay, I think that is enough of the fun and games now, attention here, please!” The blonde lecturer announced, commanding the attention of the class with a simple clap of his hands. “Everyone is more comfortable with each other now right? But if there is still any awkwardness, feel free to talk to me or your fellow students. This is a course in drama and arts, don’t hesitate to express yourself, this is something that everyone should understand. And speaking of drama, there is work for you guys this week.”

 

Collective groans could be heard and Luhan chuckled, shaking his head at the wonderful enthusiasm of his students. “People, this is university, you can’t slack off just because I am nice! We shall begin with the staple and basics, William Shakespeare’s tragic and beautiful romance – Romeo and Juliet-”

 

A low murmur spread through the room again, before Luhan quietened the class with a wave of his hand. “I don’t want to hear complaints or groaning, I don’t care if you know almost every line by heart, I want you to go to the library, borrow the book and read it. Don’t memorise, just refresh yourself and that is all I am asking for the first week. Any questions?”

 

“Do you ship Romeo and Juliet, Mr Lu?” Came a question from a female student.

“Yes, I do.” Luhan sighed softly, giving her a tired smile. “Although, I would prefer less deaths.”

Huh… ship? Isn’t that a form of delivery? Sehun blinked in honest confusion…. I shall just google that later.

 

“Luhan, what are we doing next week, are we acting out the play?” Sehun asked, with a raise of his hand.

“Ah, it is something about the concepts of love and emotions but I shall tell you all next week, so patience please.”

 Luhan replied with a mysterious grin. “If there is nothing else, see you all tomorrow morning.”